BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Extra ! Extra ! Read All About It !

• Backroom

Sorry? You have a sane rationale for murdering 120 odd innocent people?

Read my previous posts. It's done to create fear. People have used murder and the threat of death for centuries to try and gain power. It's nothing new.

Insanity would be killing people for absolutely no reason. It's obvious ISIS have their reasons for doing so. They are despicable and disgusting, but far from insane. There's a reason that a court of law allows a plea of insanity - it's the difference between controlled and uncontrolled action.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, if you just treat the land they've taken in Iraq and Syria, it's small.

But having followers everywhere, that is what is alarming, Far East, Near East, Americas, North at least, Europe, Africa, Australia, that is alarming.

And personally, I don't have it in for the Saudis; but it sounds like they have exported their brand of Wahhabism world over,

Hollande mentioned something about "Salafists".

So, true, ISIS are not as powerful as the Nazis by far but as a threat, ISIS is very alarming.

And in general, just "radical jihadism", that is a threat, it's fought in China some, it's fought in so many places.

• Backroom

True, if you just treat the land they've taken in Iraq and Syria, it's small.

But having followers everywhere, that is what is alarming, Far East, Near East, Americas, North at least, Europe, Africa, Australia, that is alarming.

And personally, I don't have it in for the Saudis; but it sounds like they have exported their brand of Wahhabism world over,

Hollande mentioned something about "Salafists".

So, true, ISIS are not as powerful as the Nazis by far but as a threat, ISIS is very alarming.

And in general, just "radical jihadism", that is a threat, it's fought in China some, it's fought in so many places.

It's most definitely a huge problem and a threat to all of us. My only real point here is that ISIS are not simply mad, and it's actually a little bit dangerous to think of them in such simple terms. They are a cold, calculating, ruthless political group that is doing everything possible to seize and maintain control of land in Syria and Iraq.

That's not to say many of their brainwashed followers aren't mentally unbalanced, though. Anybody who can strap bombs to themselves and blow themselves up after murdering others clearly has a screw loose. Unfortunately these are exactly the type of individuals ISIS are looking to recruit, radicalise and use for their own benefit. These people are no more than living weapons to them.

of course it's tragic,and a terrible thing, however let's keep it in perspective. Having liberty, democracy and justice requires an ability to be strong in the face of challenges and stay true to those values. Its sad that a small section of people are so quick to vilify whole religious, political or ethnic groups out of fear and a desire to lash out. Thankfully the majority are not as weak as this.

Things are difficult sometimes, as they are becoming increasingly so now, but it is important to stay strong.

Democracy, justice, human rights etc would be impossible if every time an abhorrent crime or war occurs we collapse into hysteria and persecution. It didn't happen in WWI, WWII, September 11th, the IRA bombing campaign, the Cold War etc etc. This is no different in that respect.

Totally agree. Unfortunately, this sort of thing will always be part of our world - whatever the reason.

The thing that winds me up is the media spin on all of this. The usual 'Pump the populous full of fear' campaign is in full swing. We have seemingly spread the UK border to incorporate France now - because it fits the agenda of fear. A heck of a lot of white, English speaking french people graced the news the other day...who exactly were they targeted to relate to I wonder?

I religiously don't watch the news since I cottoned on to the fact that it stresses you, purposely, and what we are shown or told is happening (in the most polite way) isn't always accurate. I broke my self imposed ban and have watched some footage, in no time at all I lost count of how many times the person on the TV was trying to convince me that they are attacking 'My' way of life. Hitting me in the heart of everything 'I' hold dear. How things and my life would now 'have' to change. Err, no it hasn't and no it won't. This scenario is setting people up for passing up more of our freedoms. No doubt some law will get passed in super quick time that takes something I truly keep sacred - my privacy, my choices and my anonymity...unlike the nth terrorist to be named within hours because he 'happened' to have his passport on him again.

The only fear I feel is we have sleepwalked into ignorance and subservience and the masses truly don't care, they don't think rationally, don't question, don't think realistically etc. so long as they can upgrade to the latest apple technology, they are happy.

There's some serious paint by numbers propaganda going on at the moment, and that frightens me.

Id hope before we go bombing in Syria, we have serious thoughts about what we want to be in place afterwards. The lack of forward planning in Iraq has at the very least affected the consequences we are seeing now.

Id hope before we go bombing in Syria, we have serious thoughts about what we want to be in place afterwards. The lack of forward planning in Iraq has at the very least affected the consequences we are seeing now.

To me, there is no problem of just fighting and bombing ISIS themselves. And really, not getting into sides of the civil war itself, just go after ISIS; perhaps (Al Qaeda Syrian branch) Al Nusra who is a terrorist organisation as well, though, they fight ISIS, they agreed with the Paris attacks and so that is unacceptable. They've also been relatively successful over there.

Right now, I'm led to believe bombing is not having that much of an effect because everyone or most everyone is trying to steer clear of collateral damage, hitting civilians iow.

Just announced on the BBC website that Jonah Lomu has died at the age of 40. Kidney problems apparently.

Sorry to hear that. Now reading about it it looks totally unexpected so not sure if related to his medical problems. He's just got back home from the WC in England via a holiday in Dubai. An awesome Rugby player as thrilling as I've ever seen. RIP Jonah

It's most definitely a huge problem and a threat to all of us. My only real point here is that ISIS are not simply mad, and it's actually a little bit dangerous to think of them in such simple terms. They are a cold, calculating, ruthless political religious group that is doing everything possible to seize and maintain control of land in Syria and Iraq.

That's not to say many of their brainwashed followers aren't mentally unbalanced, though. Anybody who can strap bombs to themselves and blow themselves up after murdering others clearly has a screw loose. Unfortunately these are exactly the type of individuals ISIS are looking to recruit, radicalise and use for their own benefit. These people are no more than living weapons to them.

Corrected for you. To paraphrase, "It all comes from their damn book and it's the only book they read" Why you would try to ignore the overwhelming religious motivation and try to twist into something it's not, is beyond me. You're not jeremy corbyn are you?

• Moderation Lead

I know what you're saying Otto, and maybe I'm getting more cynical as I get older, but I can't help but think these attacks are always widely condemned by Muslims, but they aren't that widely reported.

All the Muslims I know at work, and away from work are as disgusted by the attacks as anyone else, do they really need to condemn these attacks every time they happen, can't things be a given, that people as a whole are disgusted in the unnecessary loss of life, regardless of their religion?

I know what you're saying Otto, and maybe I'm getting more cynical as I get older, but I can't help but think these attacks are always widely condemned by Muslims, but they aren't that widely reported.

All the Muslims I know at work, and away from work are as disgusted by the attacks as anyone else, do they really need to condemn these attacks every time they happen, can't things be a given, that people as a whole are disgusted in the unnecessary loss of life, regardless of their religion?

I think public condemnation is necessary from every community KH. Would you have the world stay silent regarding their latest atrocities because it's a "given"?

• Moderation Lead

I think public condemnation is necessary from every community KH. Would you have the world stay silent regarding their latest atrocities because it's a "given"?

Absolutely not no!

Syrian Kurdish-Arab alliance captures nearly 200 villages from IS

http://www.yourmiddleeast.com/news/syrian-kurdisharab-alliance-captures-nearly-200-villages-from-is_36685

An alliance of Kurdish and Arab forces fighting the Islamic State group in northeast Syria has driven the jihadists out of nearly 200 villages, its spokesman told reporters on Monday.

Syrian Democratic Forces spokesman Talal Ali Sello said at a press conference that "between October 30 and November 13, an area of 1,362 square kilometres (545 square miles) was cleansed of IS".

That area included 196 towns and villages, among them Al-Hol which lies along a strategic IS supply route and where Sello made his comments.

He said these "victories" had been achieved with air support from a US-led coalition striking IS targets in Syria over the past year.

According to Sello, 493 IS militants, 33 SDF fighters and four civilians were killed in the two weeks of fighting.

Another 53 SDF fighters were wounded.

The "balance sheet" presented in the SDF statement also said the alliance had seized hundreds of weapons and munitions and destroyed dozens of vehicles used by IS.

The SDF was formed in mid-October as an alliance between the powerful Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) and rebel groups including Arab and Assyrian militias.

Since it began in 2011, Syria's war has fractured into a complex array of fronts between Kurds, rebels, regime and jihadists, and has killed more than 250,000 people.

http://www.yourmiddleeast.com/news/syrian-kurdisharab-alliance-captures-nearly-200-villages-from-is_36685

AFP, reliable enough is listed as the source of this news. If this story is correct, it really is very good news but it makes me scratch my head some as to why we haven't heard more and 200 villages seems to be a lot to only take back in a matter of weeks.

I'm worried it's the exact opposite.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34855612

The official lines have all been ones of criticism (apart from a hastily removed and truly disgusting tweet from the Stop The War Coalition). But what do Muslims actually think and say when nobody outside the community is listening? ISIS aren't a phenomenon totally independent from all other Muslims. There are scores of Muslims terror groups around the world, being funded by sone Muslims, being vocally supported and sympathised with by others, being ignored by still others. It won't stop until there is clear and loudly expressed loathing by 99.99% of Muslims. Just as there would be amongst the world's Christians if the Crusades were still being carried out.

• Backroom

AFP, reliable enough is listed as the source of this news. If this story is correct, it really is very good news but it makes me scratch my head some as to why we haven't heard more and 200 villages seems to be a lot to only take back in a matter of weeks.

The problem is twofold. Firstly that those villages may be taken back again within a number of days or weeks by ISIS, and secondly that the Kurds/Arab rebels aren't necessarily good guys either. It's just one huge, messy power struggle. I doubt many people in the media really know how to report it properly.

This makes the war in the former Yugoslavia seem like a vicarage tea party. Cameron's talking about going to war without the UN's approval or potentially the approval of Parliament. If he'd have done this the last time and bombed Assad as he wanted to we'd have been totally knackered now we are looking to align ourselves back with Assad and the Russians.

We're looking to do something just for the sake of doing something. To quote Monty Python or Peter Cook - " We need some volunteers to make a futile gesture ".

That blaming Muslims (and some are) is blaming a major victim of this whole thing.

I see a Jewish teacher has now been stabbed by IS supporters in Marseilles. After these major atrocities by Islamic extremists are perpetrated, maybe the focus should start being less on protecting Muslims from an "Islamophobia" backlash and more on protecting other religions and atheists from the those encouraged to carry out further attacks.

Even if he wasn't, the conflict is mainly a power play between the US, Russia and Iran. I don't think ISIS will give the UK their attention unless we get involved directly. They are losing ground in their stronghold and need to focus on the nations who are having a direct impact on those losses, rather than provoking another foreign military into getting involved.

I think ISIS will have a crack at anything. I think it really is a question of what's do-able rather than a proper strategy. If anything ISIS want more people in the conflict not less as every time someone engages them it boosts their credibility.

Thankfully it is more difficult to smuggle automatic weapons into the UK due to being an island so we have a bit more protection. Although obviously not fool proof.

The horrendous hypocrisy of some US politicians towards Syrians.

"We don't think you are all terrorists, so get out whilst you can. Leave your home now before we flatten it. After all, only terrorists stay behind...

By the way you can't come here, we think you might be terrorists."

Archived