BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Relegation Thread

We still have the option to go direct with koita there. Scored a very good goal against QPR that way, with koitas flick on to Rhodes..

Which is a nice bonus and hopefully something that can be worked on. Never worked out great that way with Rudy as he just operated with a 'i'll just get my head to it' style and Rhodes often went the wrong way to his attempted flicks.

If we'd have sold him and reinvested that money wisely, we wouldn't be in this position J*B.

That's assuming we would have immediately come out of the embargo, something deadly Derek himself didn't seem to be too sure about. It's also assuming for that money (let's say we had 5m left over to spend, after putting enough in the bank to satisfy FFP, pay off Huddersfield plus Rhodes' pay off) it was invested in someone who would cover his goals. I have no faith that the money would have been spent correctly. He's not a 14 million quid player, but he's worth more than 14 million to this club - in my opinion.

A guy I know over there reckons they get about 4 or 5 k on but the gates are usually given as around 7+. He did say that quite a few bought season tickets covering several seasons otherwise there'd be even less on. Don't know if that's correct or not but it's amazing they get any on at all.

That's assuming we would have immediately come out of the embargo, something deadly Derek himself didn't seem to be too sure about. It's also assuming for that money (let's say we had 5m left over to spend, after putting enough in the bank to satisfy FFP, pay off Huddersfield plus Rhodes' pay off) it was invested in someone who would cover his goals. I have no faith that the money would have been spent correctly. He's not a 14 million quid player, but he's worth more than 14 million to this club - in my opinion.

I'm talking about before the embargo J*B. That was the time. Once we entered the embargo we were stuffed, because as you say, we couldn't reinvest then. I wouldn't want the club to sell him now, unless all the money could be reinvested (preferably by a different manager), but obviously it can't be. Ideally he'll stay here at least until we're well clear of embargo. It's just a crap position to be in.

To be honest, what I want is for Venkys to stay on (because at this moment in time they are the only people in town, with the finances to move us forward), for them to appoint a top CEO and give him full backing to make the necessary changes. That's probably all pie in the sky, but I don't see any other escape route.

Edited by den

Absolutely agreed, Den. Rhodes' all round game however is showing real signs of development to me.

Yes, he's playing the best alround football of his time at Rovers in my opinion. Looks stronger back to goal and better in his movement.

It really suits him having a physical and mobile striker alongside like Koita. I think Gestede was too stationary for him.

Yes, he's playing the best alround football of his time at Rovers in my opinion. Looks stronger back to goal and better in his movement.

It really suits him having a physical and mobile striker alongside like Koita. I think Gestede was too stationary for him.

I sometimes dream about Rochina and Rhodes up front :blush:

• Like 1

Rochina scored an absolute belter for Granada recently.

Following yesterday, this is the first time this season I am starting to think we could avoid going down.

Our inability to get wins was looking like a massive killer for our prospects of surviving but two home wins on the bounce is very encouraging. If we get three points at MK Dons then this will begin to be a very productive run putting healthy distance between ourselves and the bottom three.

We have been lucky in the injuries we have suffered. Guthrie apart, the players we lost are pretty well up the list of players the fans would have dropped given half a chance.

If our good luck with injuries turns to bad luck and Rhodes has time out, we are extremely vulnerable still...

• Backroom

You lost me at "weve been lucky" by having players injured..

He's right though, isn't he? Since Lowe and Spurr have been out of the team we seem to have markedly improved. It's fair to assume those changes would not have been made unless the players were injured.

My stance on relegation remains the same as it was in pre-season - as long as Rhodes is fit and firing, we'll be OK. If he gets injured or is sold in January we are in big trouble. I think the past few weeks have reminded a fair few people just how important Jordan is to us. I believe he is worth more to us right now than being out of the embargo, as I don't trust the club to bring in somebody to replace the 25-30 goals he practically guarantees every season.

• Like 1

He's right though, isn't he? Since Lowe and Spurr have been out of the team we seem to have markedly improved. It's fair to assume those changes would not have been made unless the players were injured.

Its a ridiculous over simplification to even consider the improvement as a sole result of that. Besides, Fulham away was the initial game we improved yet lost- Spurr played that game.

Potentially down to a few more things than that? Like maybe something to do with the bloke who didn't score in those 5 first games?

It's a fashionable assumption on here that we have "undroppable" players but I don't buy this favorites malarkey.

Why did he go out and get akpan and Guthrie if he saw Lowe as undroppable?

Jbizzle is saying something similar on another thread, I think trying to paint the members of brfcc as perhaps even revelling in others misfortune.

'Real fans' at Ewood wouldn't say such things, right?

Well pretty much every fan I heard yesterday was saying things like 'thank f*** he's injured', 'at least that injury's made Bowyer's mind up for him' etc etc.

• Like 3

• Backroom

Its a ridiculous over simplification to even consider the improvement as a sole result of that. Besides, Fulham away was the initial game we improved yet lost- Spurr played that game.

Potentially down to a few more things than that? Like maybe something to do with the bloke who didn't score in those 5 first games?

It's a fashionable assumption on here that we have "undroppable" players but I don't buy this favorites malarkey.

Why did he go out and get akpan and Guthrie if he saw Lowe as undroppable?

Not saying it's the only reason, but you cannot deny that results have picked up since Lowe and Spurr have been out of the team. It's there in black and white.

Judging from the start of the season Akpan and Guthrie were competing with Evans for a spot, not Lowe. You saw that with the substitution in the Bolton game. Lowe had an absolute nightmare but it was Evans who came off.

I'm certainly not reveling in any player getting injured, but why should that stop people from pointing out that Lowe is only dropped when he's injured, and we seem to improve when that happens? Nobody should be demonised for highlighting that, and it seems like an attempt to personally discredit the poster in question rather than discuss the issue.

Pathetic ain't it matty?

It's borne out of frustration.

It goes without saying that Jason Lowe is nowhere near good enough to be playing centre midfield at this level. Yet, he will be picked time after time to the detriment of the team.

It's also not fair on Jason himself, who is a good pro and shouldn't be the target of the ire, Bowyer has only himself to blame for the selection blind spots.

Because it's paranoid conjecture as opposed to discussion on football. Nothing stopping anyone from forming an opinion on a player but the suggestion that he's one of "gazzes' mates" and that's the sole reason for his inclusion is infantile.

The post on Mick Mc from the Ipswich forum says it all for me about what's happened to this website. The fans are now the experts and anything they disagree with can only be explained by mysterious circumstance such as "un droppable" players or "negative instincts".

• Like 1

• Backroom

Because it's paranoid conjecture as opposed to discussion on football. Nothing stopping anyone from forming an opinion on a player but the suggestion that he's one of "gazzes' mates" and that's the sole reason for his inclusion is infantile.

The post on Mick Mc from the Ipswich forum says it all for me about what's happened to this website. The fans are now the experts and anything they disagree with can only be explained by mysterious circumstance such as "un droppable" players or "negative instincts".

To be fair, that's only one post. The majority of Ipswich fans are realistic enough to know Mick's done a good job. I should know as I live here and am surrounded by Town fans. I wouldn't base your opinion of an entire fanbase on one post.

It's borne out of frustration.

It goes without saying that Jason Lowe is nowhere near good enough to be playing centre midfield at this level. Yet, he will be picked time after time to the detriment of the team.

It's also not fair on Jason himself, who is a good pro and shouldn't be the target of the ire, Bowyer has only himself to blame for the selection blind spots.

That's your opinion, but in mine before Guthrie and Hope, he was the second best option we had bar Evans. He can still be a good squad player, potentially a good back up for at least two positions.

A different opinion is not a "blind spot" wrong or right.

I don't disagree that he's a good squad player, however I always felt Evans and Williamson were a better partnership.

Bowyer may well have felt that Lowe was the best man for the job before Guthrie and Akpan joined. The quality of their performances however now surely make it unlikely we'll see Lowe as a starter again, so hopefully this whole argument can be put to bed...