BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 4

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to love the change in attitude towards Gestede now that he is gone. He was touted as the all round striker ("that Rhodes isn't") and was definitely PL quality. Now he's a one trick pony and definitely playing at a level beyond his abilities! :lol:

Got to love the change in attitude towards Gestede now that he is gone. He was touted as the all round striker ("that Rhodes isn't") and was definitely PL quality. Now he's a one trick pony and definitely playing at a level beyond his abilities! :lol:

Think you've dreamed that up Stuart.

Gestede is by no means an all round player. On the ground he's below average at best, but in the air he's a big danger. He does cause centre halves problems though and that's why a PL club came in for him.

Some strange goings on with these international call ups. Evans gets picked before the other night despite not playing nor being in any sort of form for ages. Willo not getting picked but now gets called up. Odd.

cmon Den the love last year was that Rudy was the next Messiah and Rhodes was a dustbin. You are changing brfcs history.

Another dreamer.

You're getting confused with what people ACTUALLY say, and what you wanted them to say Abbey.

Think you've dreamed that up Stuart.

Gestede is by no means an all round player. On the ground he's below average at best, but in the air he's a big danger. He does cause centre halves problems though and that's why a PL club came in for him.

:lol: :lol:

History re-written again.

No need to feel guilty, den, there were no names and no pack drill.

Dreamt it up. Lol.

Always preferred Rhodes... Although I have to admit, what Gestede did for rovers was incredible and I would have rather we kept him.

But Rhodes is better... In my opinion!

I agree with that but you have to play him in the right system (back to tactics)

We have the personnel to play a system that suits JR but it's all about setting the team up and giving the correct instructions! We should not be involved in any relegation scraps at all but alas it is a worry!

As Yoda says it's all about tactics... And good Man management!

• Backroom

Comparing Rhodes and Gestede is a pointless exercise really - they are completely different players and that's why having both of them was very useful.

Bizarrely Bowyer seems to think we sold Rhodes, as he still appears to be instructing the defenders to lump the ball onto Rudy's noggin.

Comparing Rhodes and Gestede is a pointless exercise really - they are completely different players and that's why having both of them was very useful.

Bizarrely Bowyer seems to think we sold Rhodes, as he still appears to be instructing the defenders to lump the ball onto Rudy's noggin.

Nobody is comparing them with each other. Just that one was meant to be PL quality and the other not. Now that Gestede has left he's Championship quality again.

• Backroom

Nobody is comparing them with each other. Just that one was meant to be PL quality and the other not. Now that Gestede has left he's Championship quality again.

I was responding more to Buckshaw's post #484. Maybe I should have quoted him.

:lol: :lol:

History re-written again.

No need to feel guilty, den, there were no names and no pack drill.

Dreamt it up. Lol.

Whatever Stuart.

I'm sure you'll have no problem finding the posts where Gestede is said to be "the all round player and definitely PL quality."

For what it's worth, IMO Gestede has more about his play to cause defences problems than Rhodes will ever have, - but that's nowhere near saying that he's an all round footballer etc, etc.

Whatever Stuart.

I'm sure you'll have no problem finding the posts where Gestede is said to be "the all round player and definitely PL quality."

For what it's worth, IMO Gestede has more about his play to cause defences problems than Rhodes will ever have, - but that's nowhere near saying that he's an all round footballer etc, etc.

Context, denzel - it's all relative. "The all-round player (that Rhodes isn't)".

You've just said as much in your post.

Whatever Stuart.

Physically, yes of course. Movement and finishing-wise? I would say not. Also depends on our definition of causing problems. Yes, Rudy might rough up the CBs all game by getting his noggin in (when he can be arsed moving that is) but Rhodes has more of a chance of popping up and grabbing a goal from nowhere, which IMO is a much bigger problem. Both cause problems in very different ways, but when it comes to JR there are a few people much keener on remarking on what he can't do as opposed to what he can do. Gestede escaped this criticism because he's a big lad and the fans like physical players.

I still think the criticism of Rhodes is so over the top. It was a lot more muted from the vocal few prior to last season, when Bowyer's tactics hadn't quite squeezed the life out of his (and Rovers') game at this point. I find it remarkable some were quick to criticise Rhodes and laud King/Gestede, when the two of them are nowhere near Rhodes on any level other than physicality (and heading for RG). Like the myth that Rudy was great at holding up the ball, when in fact his speciality was flicking the ball on to no one and the myth that King could do anything other than run on a consistent basis.

I liked both Gestede and King and think both offered something different and valuable to the team. However, they both had glaring limitations, just as JR does, and it's why the best they can hope for is a place at a lowly Prem club. If Rhodes had been valued at £8mill or less, he'd likely have been on a Prem bench this weekend or perhaps starting. Alas, he's still with us, and we should be grateful for this. Whilst some of you would rather have a player who contributes to open play more yet doesn't score as much, I'd rather have a player who pops up with a goal despite limited service. Having a Brown up top, who will grab a few more assists than Rhodes and trap a few more balls is pointless if the number of goals scored isn't made up by the rest of the team. If you are saying "no I'd rather have a player that scores goals AND contributes to open play", then I'm afraid some have forgotten the league we are in.

Unlike some on here, I don't believe we are defensively frail due to Rhodes's deficiencies, but due to the number of other problems stemming from the keeper to the midfield. Rhodes has shown he can grab goals in spite of the team getting dominated and there are plenty of games where his goals have saved the day, despite the TEAM doing nothing to deserve it. This myth that had we played King up top all season instead we'd have scored more and conceded less is just folly. He might scare defences with his pace, but it's no use unless there is someone to put the ball in the back of the net, something we have been severely lacking without Rhodes and Gestede.

The fact our midfielders have been largely absent in the goals/assists tallies for the last few years isn't due to Rhodes hogging all the goals scored or due to us being unable to accommodate him, but due to the limitations of the players and the tactics imposed by the manager(s). Rhodes hasn't had the tactics tailored to him, but still manages to pull goals out his backside when he gets it in the right areas. I'd suggest watching his goal highlights from the last few seasons as an example of how to score in spite of bad service. When criticising Rhodes and conveniently ignoring the many glaring faults of the other 17 players in the match day squad, perhaps think of how much worse things could have gone/be going had we not had Rhodes to pop up with the goals he has. And to those who say "he only does well in the box bla bla" and how we can't tailor our tactics to this. Most strikers thrive in the box and even if we had Costa or Rooney up front, creating chances IN THE BOX should be key. How many goals did King or Rudy score from outside the area?

IMO, Rhodes is the best we can hope for up front for a considerable time, and if he was to leave or be injured for a long while, any replacement will no doubt have you wishing that player who "does nothing but score goals" was still firing for Rovers. IMO, a good few on here need to take the advice of Roy Keane, and focus on what the lad CAN do and not what he can't.

Neither of them are a patch on Benni, Bellamy, Cole, Jansen, Roque, or Sutton...and that other fella who played alongside him in the 90's.

They are in and around Yakubu territory when he played with us in his early 50's.

Archived