BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andre Ooijer

http://offsideliam.com/andreooijerinterview/

Interesting admission by Ooijer that he had problems adapting to the pace and fitness level required in the PL, I remember thinking the same thing about him myself, how many goals (own goals), penalties and needless free kicks did he give away in those first few months he was with us ? After that he developed into a very good player.

Remember he really struggled on his debut at home to City - we won 4-2 but sure he scored an own goal and looked out of sorts.

Vastly improved though, his winner v Spurs at home in Allarydce's first season lives with me. Top pro.

He was never quite first choice once Samba cemented his place, and didn't have the pace for right back where Neill held his place. But a quality centre back, professional and a leader in a team of leaders which Hughes assembled.

That defence under Hughes was great. As was the midfield. As were the striker. As was the keeper. Sigh.

Can only echo the sentiments posted above. Thought he was an absolute liability in the first few games he played, wondered why the hell we'd signed him.

Didn't take too long to realise why. Absolute top class centre half and great pro. One of my faves from that era.

Great player for us. 47er beat me to it re the goal vs Everton!

Best of all we didn't know at the time that Nelsen should have been penalised for off-side when he flicked it back and the goal shouldn't have counted!

• 2 weeks later...

I never rated him. Made as many mistakes as Gresko did. He's a Bovril player but to me, a great defender shouldn't need to make as many last ditch tackles as he did for us. Not a patch on Berg, Short, Samba or Nelsen.

I never rated him. Made as many mistakes as Gresko did. He's a Bovril player but to me, a great defender shouldn't need to make as many last ditch tackles as he did for us. Not a patch on Berg, Short, Samba or Nelsen.

Completely agree. I never really rated him either.

Ordinary at best and not a patch on the other players mentioned above.

• Backroom

Samba who made a career out of last ditch tackles because of his own mistakes?

I think Ooijer is right in there with the other names tbh.

Samba who made a career out of last ditch tackles because of his own mistakes?

I think Ooijer is right in there with the other names tbh.

Nah. Samba was FAR better than him.

I missed out Phil Jones too!

Ooijer was a calamity waiting to happen but did improve as time went on.

He certainly divides opinion.

Maybe controversial but I think the best and most cultured centre back we've had during the Prem years was Henchoz 1st time around.

Archived