BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] European Championship France 2016

Deserved just about on the balance of play, but Italy had the game in their grasp and didn't take it.

First time ever Germany beats Italy at major championships.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeepers creepers, some of those penalties. one of the worst quality shootouts that I personally have seen. I'd have fancied myself to do better than the likes of Zaza, Pelle, Schweinsteiger et cetera. Pelle telling Neuer where he'd put it (and then missing :lol:), Zaza's incredibly cocky and bizarre run up before skying it.

Very strange shootout

Zaza

giphy.gif

:lol:

I'm not sure I would let Zaza back into the country if I were the Italians, seriously. Some of the worst penalties you will ever see in that game and it wasn't like they just blasted them sky high and into row z, they actually tried to be cute with some of those penalties and failed big time.

2 of the first 3 quarterfinals went to penalties, Wales spared the viewers with that nonsensical way to decide a match. But, it's got to be decided somehow and they give them 30 extra-minutes to do so.

Italians cheated bringing on zaza anyway, chiellini feigning injury to get a bad penalty taker on

I'm not quite sure how that is cheating. Any manager should give his team the best chance of winning (although on this occasion it clearly didn't work).

Didn't Holland change goalkeepers in similar circumstances at the last World Cup.

I'm not quite sure how that is cheating. Any manager should give his team the best chance of winning (although on this occasion it clearly didn't work).

Didn't Holland change goalkeepers in similar circumstances at the last World Cup.

Good memory, I vaguely remember this but it looks like this happened in the Netherlands/Costa Rica match which went to a penalty shootout.

T. Krul went in for J. Cillesen: http://uk.soccerway.com/matches/2014/07/05/world/world-cup/netherlands/costa-rica/1220137/

Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) (AFP) - Dutch goalkeeper Tim Krul on Sunday revelled in the role of unexpected hero a day after he became the star of his side's shootout success over Costa Rica.

Coach Louis Van Gaal elected to bring on Newcastle United keeper Krul for Jasper Cillessen of Ajax just seconds before the end of extra time in their goalless encounter.

Van Gaal decided 26-year-old Krul, 6ft 4in (1.93m) tall and 6 cm taller than Cillessen, was the better bet for spotkicks.

The substitute duly saved two to propel the three-time finalists into a semi-final meeting with Argentina.

Krul told a press conference he had learned from goalkeeping coach Frans Hoek just ahead of the game about the cunning ploy.

"The manager and the goalie coach told me before the game if we had a substitute left the possibility was there to use me in the penalty shootout," said Krul.

"The whole game I was watching it differently because I knew the possibility was there" to come on, said Krul, who joined Newcastle from Den Haag in 2005.

More At: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/krul-revels-dutch-shootout-heroics-205902771--sow.html

Interestingly, Netherlands went to penalties against vs. Argentina in the next match, no change in goalkeeper and Argentina won that one.

http://uk.soccerway.com/matches/2014/07/09/world/world-cup/netherlands/argentina/1220139/

So, someone decided, maybe Chiellini himself, other or it was a pre-game strategy to exit the match for another player.

Zaza

giphy.gif

Hahaha now that's funny !!!

Spat me coffee out laughing

It's not cheating making a substitution. It was, however, ironic that the penalty he took was one of the worst of the lot.

Time was up , player pretending to be injured and laughing and a manager stopping the throw when ref says to take it .

It may not be cheating on Venky scale but it was still so wrong.

So, someone decided, maybe Chiellini himself, other or it was a pre-game strategy to exit the match for another player.

Maybe they wanted to avoid something like this from happening.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wlR_0vkWXfA

I remember this incident well. It was an ex Rover (and Dingle) playing for Lancaster City and both legs cramped up at the same time. After two plus hours there must be lots of tired legs, muscles and minds.

Hahaha now that's funny !!!

Spat me coffee out laughing

Time was up , player pretending to be injured and laughing and a manager stopping the throw when ref says to take it .

It may not be cheating on Venky scale but it was still so wrong.

There is an Italian word for this-Furbo. Basically it means when someone is sly, cynical and trying every trick in the book that is technically legal in order to gain an advantage. It's like extreme gamesmanship and is an Italian way of life from what I've read.

There is an Italian word for this-Furbo. Basically it means when someone is sly, cynical and trying every trick in the book that is technically legal in order to gain an advantage. It's like extreme gamesmanship and is an Italian way of life from what I've read.

The Italian translation of Furbo is Solicitors and Lawyers!

Maybe they wanted to avoid something like this from happening.

I remember this incident well. It was an ex Rover (and Dingle) playing for Lancaster City and both legs cramped up at the same time. After two plus hours there must be lots of tired legs, muscles and minds.

I think it is fair to say poor Pete got a bit of stick at Blackburn Council for that one Tony. Any bragging rights he had from playing for the Rovers were lost, in (for him) a horrible split-second.

I got the word sly on google translate. I read a book about modern Italy (it may have been The Dark Heart of Italy by Tobias Jones) that has a chapter about how Italians really love to bend and test the rules to the extreme, and that Italy has so many rules and regulations that people see it as a challenge to get away with stuff. The fact that Furbo can mean lawyer, or sly says a lot.

And I could watch that seagull all day.

Archived