BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Official: Paul Lambert Appointed Blackburn Rovers Manager

DE.

Or was it to move on a player that didn't fit in with Lambert's ideas regarding playing systems ? The money was just a bonus ?

The more we see Rhodes struggle at Boro, the more I think it's probably just a case of not being wanted.

It's funny reading the Boro forums, I had a quick look after the Hull game. The comments are split between people saying "didn't notice he was playing" and "he didn't get any service". I'm sure they'll enjoy talking about that for the next few years!

I see Ross McCormack has been called into the Scotland squad ahead of Rhodes as well.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard recently from a 'friend' that 7 or 8 million is a likely figure for new signings.

I also heard that Jason Lowe may have played his last ten yard sideways pass in the professional game....

Is his injury that bad? I know he's been struggling for quite a while with it but it would be a shame to see him have to retire due to it regardless of what people think of him.

I heard recently from a 'friend' that 7 or 8 million is a likely figure for new signings.

I also heard that Jason Lowe may have played his last ten yard sideways pass in the professional game....

Looks like he will keep trying

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/jason-lowe-danny-guthrie-blackburn-rovers-wolverhampton-wanderers-3019497.aspx

I hope Lowe gets back but I'm not bothered about glass back Guthrie. Hopefully he'll be playing his last passes for us soon, good player on his day but they are very few even when he's fit. Doubt he'd fit into the present style anyway.

Next season is really make or break time, and i know we say that every season, but i think this could be it.

If Venkys dont back Lambert, or if they do back him and it goes wrong, i can see things going really badly. Lambert needs to get the transfers right, and get those players signed up way before pre season starts. We need to get the players actively involved in pre season, or else its once again catch up time

Next season is really make or break time, and i know we say that every season, but i think this could be it.

If Venkys dont back Lambert, or if they do back him and it goes wrong, i can see things going really badly. Lambert needs to get the transfers right, and get those players signed up way before pre season starts. We need to get the players actively involved in pre season, or else its once again catch up time

In an ideal world we do that, but it's more important to get the right players, rather than just the ones that are available early in the window.

There are European championships this summer. Players and agents go on holidays. Players become available as other transfers are made. There's a whole host of reasons why it's not always possible to get them in early.

With the exception of Watt, the players we signed in January looked comfortable in Lambert's style pretty much immediately. A full pre season would be a great bonus, getting the correct player(s) is a necessity though.

In an ideal world we do that, but it's more important to get the right players, rather than just the ones that are available early in the window.

There are European championships this summer. Players and agents go on holidays. Players become available as other transfers are made. There's a whole host of reasons why it's not always possible to get them in early.

With the exception of Watt, the players we signed in January looked comfortable in Lambert's style pretty much immediately. A full pre season would be a great bonus, getting the correct player(s) is a necessity though.

Completely understand the scenarios, but what im saying is that its always difficult to play the sort of football you want, when you have players coming in at various times. We really wont be getting in big players, so i cant see Lambert watching the Euro's that much. I could be wrong, but he will probably try and look lower leagues, or players who did well in the championship this season.

The big question is, how many players will he get rid of, and that will be a big indicator of what's to come

I'm honestly not sure that £5-7m will be enough to quench Lambert's thirst. Maybe if Graham is already a done deal and his wages aren't factored in. But I'd expect at least 8-10 clubs to be spending that or more next year. Pure conjecture on my part, but i'm not sure that will qualify as 'pushing the boat out' for lambert. Spent wisely it could make a huge difference to our side. But putting myself in his shoes I'm sure he'd expect the Rhodes fee to be reinvested and with the out of contract lads too, I reckon he's thinking more along the lines of £10-12m. I wouldn't wanna try and second guess the man, but I will anyway. He's worked for and protected a chairman with deep pockets and short arms once. He seems to speak his mind. And I'm not sure he's ready to accept less than he feels he's worth again. I've got some big fears about this summer. Especially if he's kept guessing until late into preseason. Really hope I'm wrong because potentially this summer could be quite exciting if everything falls into place.

I'm sure this has been discussed on this thread but I'm 100% sure Lambert's repeated references to 'what the owners decide to do in the summer' etc., are purely designed to ensure clubs don't add a zero to the price of any player we enquire about.

He would not have signed a contract without knowing the ball-park figure he was dealing with in his 1st 2 transfer windows.

We need to take all future similar comments with a pinch of salt and look forward to him spending the Rhodes money and more before the end of August, hopefully sooner.

He would not have signed a contract without knowing the ball-park figure he was dealing with in his 1st 2 transfer windows.

I'd imagine the wages for this job would be around £750k per annum, course he'd have signed it whatever. He has bills to pay and there's so many managers to choose from, Now he's here, he can make as much noise as he wants, they'll have to pay him off whatever.

I'd imagine the wages for this job would be around £750k per annum, course he'd have signed it whatever. He has bills to pay and there's so many managers to choose from, Now he's here, he can make as much noise as he wants, they'll have to pay him off whatever.

I'm sure PL wasn't exactly on the breadline and I'd like to think he is not factoring in any payoffs just yet!

He seems passionate and committed to me and I really think he takes pride in his work.

I've been impressed with his choice of players so far - they mostly seem to have similar hard working attitudes and are prepared to put a shift in. Graham has been a revelation and I think his attitude is top class.

Bennett never stops running and it is obvious he really wants to do well and he brings some good skills to the team. I saw Watt clenching his fists as he left the field after the Brentford match - not to anyone in particular, he just seemed pumped up by the victory. Even Jackson, who may not have quite what it takes at this level, always gives everything and has contributed through shear effort.

I think this attitude can rub off on others - look at Duffy's celebration on Saturday and how it spread to the rest of the team.

This sort of attitude and togetherness can make even an average team very hard to beat.

I'm not sure Gomez has the same determination but he brings something else to the team that has been missing for a long time - creativity.

So I'm really excited about the coming months and can't wait to see who will be in the squad next season. A few more games like the Fulham/Boro/Birmingham games down at Ewood would be most welcome.

I've raised this before but here i'll do it again. From the moment Lambert joined this club he needed us as we needed him.

It's not as simple as saying if he doesn't get the backing he wants then he'll walk away. Then what for him? He'd be giving up 2 years of a lucrative contract. Most reasonable Rovers fans can see the signs of improvement under Lambert and that gives us hope for the future, but he hasn't done a spectacular job. He hasn't done enough yet to walk into another good Championship job where he will get millions to build his own squad. He certainly hasn't done enough yet to rehabilitate his reputation enough after what went on at Villa, although Villa themselves are such a disaster that people are starting to realise what a poisoned chalice it is.

If Lambert walks from here the very best he's going to get is another average Championship job, and he won't get a payout unless contractual cast-iron promises from Venkys have been broken. He needs this to work as much as Rovers do, because not many rich Championship owners are going to employ him if he resigns after 6 months if the money on offer isn't to his liking.

The way I see it is I dearly hope that he will be supported with a competitive Championship budget, but if money turns out to be tighter than first expected it is his job to get on with it and work within those constraints. If he received assurances which have not been delivered then he can sue Venkys. If not then its his problem and job to sort out.

All depends on the motive behind selling Rhodes.

Was it to sacrifice a luxury player to gather transfer funds for the new boss...

...or was it to cash in their last remaining asset as part of a exit/downsize strategy?

Place your bets now!

I know where my bets are placed . Gonna be meltdown when dunny is manager .

I've raised this before but here i'll do it again. From the moment Lambert joined this club he needed us as we needed him.

It's not as simple as saying if he doesn't get the backing he wants then he'll walk away. Then what for him? He'd be giving up 2 years of a lucrative contract. Most reasonable Rovers fans can see the signs of improvement under Lambert and that gives us hope for the future, but he hasn't done a spectacular job. He hasn't done enough yet to walk into another good Championship job where he will get millions to build his own squad. He certainly hasn't done enough yet to rehabilitate his reputation enough after what went on at Villa, although Villa themselves are such a disaster that people are starting to realise what a poisoned chalice it is.

If Lambert walks from here the very best he's going to get is another average Championship job, and he won't get a payout unless contractual cast-iron promises from Venkys have been broken. He needs this to work as much as Rovers do, because not many rich Championship owners are going to employ him if he resigns after 6 months if the money on offer isn't to his liking.

The way I see it is I dearly hope that he will be supported with a competitive Championship budget, but if money turns out to be tighter than first expected it is his job to get on with it and work within those constraints. If he received assurances which have not been delivered then he can sue Venkys. If not then its his problem and job to sort out.

Is your last bit about suing venkys sarcasm or an actual view ?

Suing venkys ha it has made laugh on this sad day .more chance of suing Jesus h Christ himself .

I'd like to think if 5-7m is the 'figure' it doesn't include deals for Watt, Graham and Gomez that have already been pre-agreed.

Can't see us signing Grimes as he's highly rated - expecting Taylor, Williamson, Brown all to be released.

Means we'd be looking at signing a right back, left back, central midfielder, left winger and striker. 1m-1.5m each?

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/14374150.Paul_Lambert_insists_break_has_come_at_a_good_time_for_Blackburn_Rovers_as_he_prepares_for_Venky_s_talks/

Another poor effort from the local paper.

The vast majority of Lambert's comments here are basically a copy and paste exercise from his post match interview to the club TV channel on Saturday, with comments he made last week to Radio Lancashire thrown in (part about wanting either top 2 or top 6 and nothing else). I could have written that story using cut and paste without ever having to meet or speak to the manager.

The only nugget of new information in this story is that Lambert 'will not be travelling to India for his talks with Venkys', although there is still no indication of exactly when, where or who Lambert will be meeting.

I suppose it can be seen as progress that they are prepared to meet the manager without dragging him half way around the world to kneel at the feet of Madame, and its very impressive if Lambert has managed to get her to meet him half way given her track record. Then again if he isn't meeting her then it is worrying because we all know she is the main power broker and we need all the owners singing from the same hymn sheet this summer rather than a mixed approach.

Surely the Telegraph reporters have asked the question of when/where/who he will be speaking to. Makes me wonder why the secrecy. Why not just say 'he's flying out to **** on ***** to speak with **** and returning on ****?

I'd like to think if 5-7m is the 'figure' it doesn't include deals for Watt, Graham and Gomez that have already been pre-agreed.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for that. We had Gomez waiting around until the Rhodes deal had gone through. It looked like we couldn't even get him on a loan without getting rid of Rhodes first.

Pretty sure the agreed fee for Watt would have been coming from Rhodes too. I think that's the reason there was a minor panic from our end when the deal initially collapsed.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for that. We had Gomez waiting around until the Rhodes deal had gone through. It looked like we couldn't even get him on a loan without getting rid of Rhodes first.

Pretty sure the agreed fee for Watt would have been coming from Rhodes too. I think that's the reason there was a minor panic from our end when the deal initially collapsed.

was that not due to ffp though?I thought it was said at the time that our buisness in January would predominantly be in the loan market to keep us in line with ffp,but in the summer we have more scope as the rules are relaxed?

was that not due to ffp though?I thought it was said at the time that our buisness in January would predominantly be in the loan market to keep us in line with ffp,but in the summer we have more scope as the rules are relaxed?

That was my take on it also

Our January dealings were all hampered by FFP, come the summer we will have much more freedom (if Venkys make money available) as there will be much more freedom. There will be other clubs having the spotlight cast on them much should they not get promoted. There are 4 or 5 clubs with eyewatering wage bills vying for 3 promotion places who the FL will have to deal with otherwise they will have to abandon FFP for the farce that it is.

Archived