BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

And its difficult to understand why some don't have more belief in him.

Because in his last full season at Villa they were the lowest scorers in all four divisions and they played horrible, dull football. Chief complaints from the Villa fans were lack of creativity, lots of sideways passing that came to nothing, and being utterly clueless tactically.

In his 7 games with us we haven't scored from open play and we play horrible, dull football.

He may come good but i think his early days at Norwich and Colchester were a bit of a false dawn as far as his managerial career is concerned. He seems to have become a very defensive coach with no idea how to create chances for his forwards. His signings will tell us a lot about how he wants us to play. Hopefully he'll sign forwards with pace and skill, and get someone in the centre of midfield who can give them the ball. He has already mentioned that we are short on height so we can expect a big forward to come in to replace Rhodes who i think he'll sell if a big enough bid comes in. By subbing Rhodes he is preparing the fans for his departure.

The real question is why do some have such belief in Lambert? He's hardly had a stellar career in management. Nigel Adkins has done what Lambert has and now he's back in Lg1.

BRFC is more important than Paul Lambert. It is up to Paul Lambert to prove he is good enough to manage BRFC. NOBODY wants him to fail but he will have to do a lot more than talk a good game in the press before he gets lauded as the 2nd coming, which some of you lot are doing already. He will certainly get my support on matchdays but he will have to improve considerably on his early showings. Performances on the pitch have gone steadily backwards to the point we looked like a League 2 outfit against Bolton.

Lets hope he improves given time and some new players. In the meantime, if performances like Bolton continue, he deserves to be on the brunt of some harsh criticism. We have essentially a mid-table Championship squad and have done for the last 3 years. He is making it look like a lot worse than that.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just been thinking about who we could get in and who would perform. Although we need pace I think Peter Crouch would be good loan signing, really honest player and never had pace but is always a great target man with bags of experience.

I mentioned him a few weeks ago, wages are obviously a stumbling block, not sure how I feel about having Crouch on board, wheres his motivation? another Murphy? who knows.

• Moderation Lead

Because in his last full season at Villa they were the lowest scorers in all four divisions and they played horrible, dull football. Chief complaints from the Villa fans were lack of creativity, lots of sideways passing that came to nothing, and being utterly clueless tactically.

In his 7 games with us we haven't scored from open play and we play horrible, dull football.

He may come good but i think his early days at Norwich and Colchester were a bit of a false dawn as far as his managerial career is concerned. He seems to have become a very defensive coach with no idea how to create chances for his forwards. His signings will tell us a lot about how he wants us to play. Hopefully he'll sign forwards with pace and skill, and get someone in the centre of midfield who can give them the ball. He has already mentioned that we are short on height so we can expect a big forward to come in to replace Rhodes who i think he'll sell if a big enough bid comes in. By subbing Rhodes he is preparing the fans for his departure.

The real question is why do some have such belief in Lambert? He's hardly had a stellar career in management. Nigel Adkins has done what Lambert has and now he's back in Lg1.

BRFC is more important than Paul Lambert. It is up to Paul Lambert to prove he is good enough to manage BRFC. NOBODY wants him to fail but he will have to do a lot more than talk a good game in the press before he gets lauded as the 2nd coming, which some of you lot are doing already. He will certainly get my support on matchdays but he will have to improve considerably on his early showings. Performances on the pitch have gone steadily backwards to the point we looked like a League 2 outfit against Bolton.

Lets hope he improves given time and some new players. In the meantime, if performances like Bolton continue, he deserves to be on the brunt of some harsh criticism. We have essentially a mid-table Championship squad and have done for the last 3 years. He is making it look like a lot worse than that.

2 promotions and experience of managing in the Premier League, as well as winning the Champions League as a player. Makes him the most qualified manager we've had in a long time.

We might want to chill out though, how many games has he been here now? Similarly other posters might want to cut him some more slack before writing him off and being overly concerned about performances. It will take a long time to improve the mentality and fitness of the players (this has been a hangover from the last few years, with so many wretched performances, not just the previous manager).

Still, I'm glad it's the manager's fault again when we're rubbish and not the players now we've got Paul Lambert at the helm :tu:

Hughes had a similarly slow start initially didn't he? In any case, I've got much more faith in an experienced manager taking the club forward than our former manager. If it doesn't work out with Paul Lambert I'm sure you'll be quick enough to tell me so :rover:

Lets hope he improves given time and some new players. In the meantime, if performances like Bolton continue, he deserves to be on the brunt of some harsh criticism.

Funny that, because after every no-show under Bowyer, you were always one of the first to dismiss any stick that came his way.

If you had a striker who could hold the ball up and stretch defences with their pace you wouldn't need a 30 a season striker though. Because he would be laying on and creating opportunities for others around him.

What about a player thats able to set rhodes up instead?

I mentioned him a few weeks ago, wages are obviously a stumbling block, not sure how I feel about having Crouch on board, wheres his motivation? another Murphy? who knows.

Depends on what portion of wages Stoke would be willing to pay. You can tell crouch is a decent guy, heard him many times talking about him just wanting to play football and I think he'd be a good character to have around, would be pretty confident that he could do a decent job for us... Let's be honest with the amount of long balls Duffy plays you may as well give him someone with quality to aim at.

Players to replace Rhodes

I would look at Norwich Lewis Grabban, Palace Dwight Gayle, Huddersfield Nakki Wells

Target man

Kyle Lafferty, Victor Anichebe, Peter Crouch, Libor Kozak

These are just suggestions. What do ppl think?

Forget Anichebe Chads... Back in the fold for West Brom now.

just to clarify a little on Lambert and Villa.

in his time at Villa he spent net 7 million pounds per season. you can write off that amount with the profit they made on Benteke. he also only spent THREE weeks in the bottom 3 in that time.

look at the team since. they have spent 50 odd million and are rock bottom with 8 points. most villa fans acknowledge the job he did under testing conditions.

Norwich was the outstanding job. back to back promotions and left them comfortable in the pl too.

the guy is the first real manager that we have hired under Venky's. I will give him til Christmas next year and then I will make a judgement on him. However clearly if we go on a disastrous run and look like we are going to get relegated then something may need to happen. aside from that all I want to see is a style of play and some decent players signed.

just to clarify a little on Lambert and Villa.

in his time at Villa he spent net 7 million pounds per season. you can write off that amount with the profit they made on Benteke. he also only spent THREE weeks in the bottom 3 in that time.

look at the team since. they have spent 50 odd million and are rock bottom with 8 points. most villa fans acknowledge the job he did under testing conditions.

Norwich was the outstanding job. back to back promotions and left them comfortable in the pl too.

the guy is the first real manager that we have hired under Venky's. I will give him til Christmas next year and then I will make a judgement on him. However clearly if we go on a disastrous run and look like we are going to get relegated then something may need to happen. aside from that all I want to see is a style of play and some decent players signed.

Good post but probably best posted in the Lambert thread.

Players to replace Rhodes

I would look at Norwich Lewis Grabban, Palace Dwight Gayle, Huddersfield Nakki Wells

Target man

Kyle Lafferty, Victor Anichebe, Peter Crouch, Libor Kozak

These are just suggestions. What do ppl think?

Lafferty has always looked decent for NI. Ex-Dingle aside, he's always looked mobile and fairly quick with an eye for goal. I doubt we'd get Anichebe, he wouldn't be cheap on loan or paid for, and his wages would be significant. Same with Crouch.

Personally i think we should be looking in the lower leagues. I'd rather sign someone we can develop than paying a fortune in loans fees and wages for some not-as-good-as-he-was Prem player. Our financial situation means we have to continue trading at a profit.

There's no guarantee's any of those Prem players would want to drop a division anyway. Bamford has cancelled his loan deal to go to Swansea apparently.

If we sell Rhodes players like Gayle may be affordable, but at £5m or so i think we still couldn't afford it, especially the wages. The lower divisions or the Championship look our best bet for recruiting.

Fully understand what you are saying Gav so I would say you have to take a hit on the goals and get a mobile strong striker in.

I would sooner have 1 player that's there to serve 10, than 10 to serve 1.

I know what you and other posters are advocating Speedie, I just don't think we're in a position to execute such a plan.

We have a 20 goal a season striker already and a very poor midfielder, we need to fill those midfield positions with quality, not replace the 20 goal a season man.in my opinion.

Well here you are again, on another thread doing nothing but diss Paul Lambert, i repeat what i said on the other thread, this assembled team is Bowyers he brought in 40 players, we are no better now than when he took over, Paul Lambert has been here what 5 weeks what the hell is he supposed to do, come back at the end of February AFTER he has been able to sign HIS players, if it's still the same well you may have a point, i don't think that will happen. (are you a closet Rangers fan, you seem to despise PL)

I'd imagine Rhodes was discussed during Lamberts interviews before he took the job. If it was the owners who blocked his sale last summer then Lambert may have got assurances they wouldn't interfere this time if a bid came in.

The rebuilding job will have to be financed somehow. It's up to the manager how he does it. Subbing Rhodes and describing him as looking 'leggy' after the Bolton game, even though we hadn't played two days before and Bolton had, may have been done for a reason. Rhodes certainly doesn't fit the big, burly striker profile that Lambert seems to favour, especially if he ends up playing 1 up front as his preferred formation.

I think Rhodes will be sold if the right bid comes in. Rhodes certainly doesn't look happy at the moment, especially when he was subbed at Bolton. He made a point of clapping the Rovers end for a long time as he walked off, and there seemed to be a few boos at the decision.

Personally i think we should be looking in the lower leagues. I'd rather sign someone we can develop than paying a fortune in loans fees and wages for some not-as-good-as-he-was Prem player. Our financial situation means we have to continue trading at a profit.

Ideally a mixture of the two. We're desperately short of some experience to be able to control games, Crouch would probably give us the hold up play we've needed since Gestede left. Connor Washington is the man to watch in the lower leagues at the moment, he's most likely to be the next Assombalonga, Gayle, Gray, Wilson at this moment. Wait until the summer and he could be worth double what he is now and will prob pass us by.

Well here you are again, on another thread doing nothing but diss Paul Lambert, i repeat what i said on the other thread, this assembled team is Bowyers he brought in 40 players, we are no better now than when he took over, Paul Lambert has been here what 5 weeks what the hell is he supposed to do, come back at the end of February AFTER he has been able to sign HIS players, if it's still the same well you may have a point, i don't think that will happen. (are you a closet Rangers fan, you seem to despise PL)

A specific question was asked on this thread. I answered it. Stop flaming.

I saw the Rangers thing on another thread. Paranoid nonsense. I hate Old Firm football because of the bigotry, but if anything i prefer Celtic because they used to be the only club up there with numbers on their shorts. I can't remember why but may have had something to do with the European Cup.That's where my interest in Scottish football begins and ends.

A specific question was asked on this thread. I answered it. Stop flaming.

Mmm flaming ?? well never mind i just answered your post, and apparently in the Lanky telewag apparently the venkys have given PL the green light to buy the players he wants, lets see who comes. This is after all the transfer thread.

Archived