BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

He's going through a run of bad form den, happens to most footballers at some stage, look at his goal scoring record, its phenomenal, to sell would be bonkers, but you've backed yourself into a corner over Rhodes and now can't get out which is a shame really.

:) I used to be a good poster as well. You're the master of put downs Gav!

Anyway, I suggest you have no option but to concede he's going through a bad run of form, simply because many posters on here don't get to games and have been able to actually see his all round lack of ability on TV. Some of the posters on here have been pointing this "poor run of form" out for a couple of seasons Gav. Rhodes is an excellent finisher, but you also have to look at what we lose whenever he plays - which you seemingly won't do. It's a balance a manager has to make. Do you really believe it's fine for a striker to be totally anonymous for two or three games, contributing next to nothing and undoubtedly affecting performances - as long as he scores one in the next? I don't.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha what? Lamberts not managed a goal from open play in 7 matches. The previous manager created more chances against Burnley than Lambert has since he's been here. Shame we lost or he might still be here. Lambert and creativity don't belong in the same sentence at the moment.

I think you may have inadvertently suggested why Rhodes will be sold though. Too slow to trouble the opposition when we need an 'out' ball. With Lambert's defensive set up we desperately need some pace up front, or at least someone to hold it up.

Rochina could come back to do keepy-up's at H-T and entertain the crowd. I'll let you know how he does

That's some chip you have on your shoulder

Haha trust me Bowyer never tried to build his side around Rhodes. He tried to accommodate him for the fans and the owners sake.

That was blindingly obvious last season but if he had of done things may have turned out different. The defence and midfield were crap last season so not playing to Rhodes strengths because it leaves the team vulnerable is somewhat blown away as well.

A look at the league table and goal scoring charts makes interesting reading .... Only 2 of the top 10 goalscores in the league play for a top 6 team , does that suggest that to be successful in this league , sharing goals amongst the whole squad and/or a better defence is more important?? ...Not anti-Rhodes in any way , just suggesting that when Rhodes isn't scoring or creating chances , no other players are stepping up

Another reason not to sell him as sooner or later his barren run will end

Players to replace Rhodes

I would look at Norwich Lewis Grabban, Palace Dwight Gayle, Huddersfield Nakki Wells

Target man

Kyle Lafferty, Victor Anichebe, Peter Crouch, Libor Kozak

These are just suggestions. What do ppl think?

Dwight Gayle won't look at us so you need to get over repeating that one. Suggesting Nakki Wells to replace Rhodes.........I'm stuck for words.

Decent target men suggestions though to be fair.

And away we goEven when he bangs in twenty a season you still hate him

I heard you months ago with that one Abbey.

Go on then, I'll reply to you.

No I don't. I've never hated a rovers player in my life. Can you say the same? How about Orr - did you hate him?

I think you're missing the point mate everyone (in the world I think) accepts that Rhodes is a fabulous finisher. Where there is a difference in opinion is that some believe (as you do) that the value of his goal scoring prowess is the be all and end all. Others (myself included) believe that whilst his goal scoring is hugely important to our cause, his difficiencies make him as harmful as he is useful. I can tell you with confidence that the previous managerial team felt that way. It's Venkys who have blocked the sale on every occasion.

I still believe there's a possibility that if we replaced the likes of Akpan, Guthrie Koita and Marshal with some decent quality, Rhodes would thrive.

IMO if Lambert can buy some creative, goal scoring midfielders and a strong, mobile striker who has 15 goals a season in him but Is able to hold the ball up, make 10-15yard link up passes and stretch defences with their pace he will allow Rhodes to leave for the right money. At £12m with Lambert in charge of buys I'd let him go...

The sum of the parts is always more valuable than one individual.

Previous management? The negative managment you mean? Id choose to replace upto 9 first team players before Rhodes

I'm sure some posters are just trying to be controversial by advocating selling Rhodes, it makes no sense at all, and I'm sure its the last thing on Lamberts mind.

Ask any manager whats the hardest position to fill in a team and they'll all say a goalscorer, they don't grow on trees, when you have one you keep him and supply him, simple as that,

Brian Clough wouldn't agree with you. He reckoned goalkeeper was the key position.- " Nobody can lose you a game quicker " was his argument.

Get your tin hat on mate, as will I!!

This is exactly what the previous management thought. I'll hazard a guess that the current management feel the same, as does Strachan, as did his predecessors.

Has anyone stopped to think why we have NEVER scored goals from midfield? There's a train of thought which believes that if your forward cannot physically hold a ball up or run in behind. If he cannot technically trap a ball or make a 5yrd pass regularly them how can your midfield benefit?

Dependant on what is available, I'd be looking to keep him until the summer. But if the money is right and will allow to buy the players you need then crack on I say!!

Or the fact we had people like lowe and williamson in midfield?

It's really more a case of knowing what worked. If not Rudy, the idea of a genuine target man is what we should be going for. I wouldn't be against signing Crouch, if he takes a pay cut etc. But we will be silly to sell Rhodes

I could see a Crouch and Rhodes partnership working. Crouch is a skillful player who can bring a ball down.

Haha trust me Bowyer never tried to build his side around Rhodes. He tried to accommodate him for the fans and the owners sake.

I feel a bit sorry for Rhodes if this is true, well as sorry as you can be for someone on £40k pw.

He must have known Bowyer was prepared to sell him, which probably explains him going to the press when the owners blocked it. Not a nice situation for him at all, especially when there were clubs who did want him and were in a better position than us.

:) I used to be a good poster as well. You're the master of put downs Gav!

Anyway, I suggest you have no option but to concede he's going through a bad run of form, simply because many posters on here don't get to games and have been able to actually see his all round lack of ability on TV. Some of the posters on here have been pointing this "poor run of form" out for a couple of seasons Gav. Rhodes is an excellent finisher, but you also have to look at what we lose whenever he plays - which you seemingly won't do. It's a balance a manager has to make. Do you really believe it's fine for a striker to be totally anonymous for two or three games, contributing next to nothing and undoubtedly affecting performances - as long as he scores one in the next? I don't.

You're a great poster den :xmas:

As for Rhodes, give him service he scores, provide him with no service and hes anonymous, doesn't contribute to the team I agree, so get him the service he deserves and he'll score week in week out but don't sell him for goodness sake.

Doesn't matter who's up front, provide them with no service and they don't score, Rhodes isn't the issue, his team mates are.

I could see a Crouch and Rhodes partnership working. Crouch is a skillful player who can bring a ball down.

I agree, if we get a motivated Crouch, but that deals a long way off surely.

Round and round the conundrum we go. Can't play Rhodes up front on his own, he needs a partner. Can't play with two up front because our midfield four are weak and will get over run. Repeat as many times as you like.

I think in theory Crouch would be a decent signing, can't see it happening though!

For the sort of money he'll be asking we should be able to do better. I'd be looking for somebody hungry with something to prove.

A specific question was asked on this thread. I answered it. Stop flaming.

I saw the Rangers thing on another thread. Paranoid nonsense. I hate Old Firm football because of the bigotry, but if anything i prefer Celtic because they used to be the only club up there with numbers on their shorts. I can't remember why but may have had something to do with the European Cup.That's where my interest in Scottish football begins and ends.

That's another poster that the troll calls someone a troll . Amazing .

I think you're missing the point mate everyone (in the world I think) accepts that Rhodes is a fabulous finisher. Where there is a difference in opinion is that some believe (as you do) that the value of his goal scoring prowess is the be all and end all. Others (myself included) believe that whilst his goal scoring is hugely important to our cause, his difficiencies make him as harmful as he is useful. I can tell you with confidence that the previous managerial team felt that way. It's Venkys who have blocked the sale on every occasion.

I still believe there's a possibility that if we replaced the likes of Akpan, Guthrie Koita and Marshal with some decent quality, Rhodes would thrive.

IMO if Lambert can buy some creative, goal scoring midfielders and a strong, mobile striker who has 15 goals a season in him but Is able to hold the ball up, make 10-15yard link up passes and stretch defences with their pace he will allow Rhodes to leave for the right money. At £12m with Lambert in charge of buys I'd let him go...

The sum of the parts is always more valuable than one individual.

No offence and perhaps it's more of a reflection on the short sightedness of the previous management team than on your good self but just read back again the nonsense I've highlighted in bold.

What you're saying is that if we can replace Rhodes with a striker who scores as near as dammit as many goals but with a far superior all round game then we can sort out the midfield as well. You're looking for the complete all round striker, almost Sheareresque, It's not happening, such a player would cost far more than Rhodes would bring in rendering the exercise completely pointless.

In the real world a target man type coming him is likely to be a sub ten goal a season man which leaves us with the problem of replacing the extra goals and with no guarantee whatsoever that any new players brought in will hit the ground running in terms of goalscoring.

Crouch wasn't bad in his prime but not brilliant either imo. Wouldn't like to take a gamble on him at this stage of his career.

Defoe, Darren Bent or Rhodes or Crouch, Kuqi, Dickov etc?

I'd be choosing from the first list every day of the week. I must have missed this new development whereby a team's success or failure allegedly depends entirely on the ability of the striker(s) to hold the ball up. What happened to the notion of playing the ball out from the back and through the midfield?

If he was available, I think Crouch would be an amazing signing for us. I imagine every club in the Championship would be after him too though. We should pull out all the stops, he could be that important imo.

Not sure Crouch would be (Not that there's any indication he's available or that we're interested)

A player like Sheringham with a footballing brain and the ability to put that into practice would probably get the best out of Rhodes.

I think the modern striker, particularly in the Premier League, has to be able to link play and finish. Or be quick, run the channels and finish (or ideally all!). Just scoring isn't enough anymore.

I suspect the reason there isn't a host of premier league clubs cueing up for Rhodes or the reason he doesn't feature regularly at international level is because his all round game isn't currently good enough.

It'll be interesting to see how PL goes about things in Jan. Will he try and build a team around Rhodes or will he cash in?

It's a very difficult question.

Archived