BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

Ideally a mixture of the two. We're desperately short of some experience to be able to control games, Crouch would probably give us the hold up play we've needed since Gestede left. Connor Washington is the man to watch in the lower leagues at the moment, he's most likely to be the next Assombalonga, Gayle, Gray, Wilson at this moment. Wait until the summer and he could be worth double what he is now and will prob pass us by.

That Washington looks a good un. Fast and direct and exactly the kind of player we need and should be going for. .

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd imagine Rhodes was discussed during Lamberts interviews before he took the job. If it was the owners who blocked his sale last summer then Lambert may have got assurances they wouldn't interfere this time if a bid came in.

The rebuilding job will have to be financed somehow. It's up to the manager how he does it. Subbing Rhodes and describing him as looking 'leggy' after the Bolton game, even though we hadn't played two days before and Bolton had, may have been done for a reason. Rhodes certainly doesn't fit the big, burly striker profile that Lambert seems to favour, especially if he ends up playing 1 up front as his preferred formation.

I think Rhodes will be sold if the right bid comes in. Rhodes certainly doesn't look happy at the moment, especially when he was subbed at Bolton. He made a point of clapping the Rovers end for a long time as he walked off, and there seemed to be a few boos at the decision.

You almost make it sound like a bad thing that Venkys have repeatedly resisted offers for Rhodes. 99% of clubs, managers and supporters would be delighted for the owners to continue to resist big money to keep hold of a 20 goal a season striker.

The rebuilding job can be financed using the £10 million we brought in from selling Gestede, Cairney and King and hopefully further input from the owners. Every other club is allowed to spend their owners money to compete, I fail to see why we shouldn't be able to.

It will be interesting though, because its obvious in the last couple of years the owners have had the final say over offers for the likes of Rhodes and Cairney. Will Lambert have insisted on absolute control on the transfer front? How will he explain it to the owners if he wants Rhodes sold and they don't want to sell him?

Lambert will immediately be putting himself under additional pressure with the owners if he wants them to sell Rhodes even though they don't want to. Likewise I'm sure the owners would be asking questions if they agreed to sell Rhodes and then we were nowhere near the top of the league after spending the money on inferior replacements, which is almost certainly what will happen.

If its so easy to reinvest the money on quality replacements then why aren't Middlesbrough doing that instead of putting £12 million on the table for an out of form striker?

I think Lambert has been promised a good kitty to spend irrespective of sales. He must be comfortable with his budget and that is why he took the job. He has enough of a job on his hands in the next few weeks to phase out the players who simply aren't good enough and replace them with those who are.

Rhodes is the least of our worries at this moment in time. Selling a 20 goal striker is just going to give us more problems to resolve.

Lambert will do as he sees fit and if he thinks the way to succeed in the Championship is to get a big lump in up top, then maybe he'll sell Rhodes.

For me the obvious answer is to keep the ONE player who's been consistently successful at this level and replace midfielders and wide men who clearly aren't performing and constantly fail to pick Rhodes out and/or get alongside and past him.

Be interesting to see if we improve if he goes down the route of the first option. For me replacing a 20 goal striker with one who can't score anything like as many but who allegedly holds the ball up better is like playing Russian roulette with our fortunes.

I fully understand what posters are saying Mani, I just strongly disagree, you don't sell a goal machine like Rhodes and expect to thrive. Buying a creative midfielder is tough at this level, buying a 15 goal a season mobile strong striker is even tougher!

A decent manager will build the side around the striker, Bowyer tried and failed, I think Lambert will certainly try, lets hope he doesn't fail.

I honestly don't think Lambert will even try to build a team around Rhodes. He doesn't have the physical presence, strength or speed for that. Seemingly, his value now outweighs his usefulness and he is, despite what anyone says, simply not performing or even contributing. I've no doubt that either in Jan or June he's outta here and the proper rebuilding will then start. We'll be best off cashing in next month, before his value plummets. We need to hit the ground running next season, so my hope is we start bringing long-term players in now (if possible).

I guess I am backed into the corner with den now ☺ but if Rhodes suddenly turns in all round performances like he did against Ipswich, then of course I'll hold my hands up to being wrong.

You almost make it sound like a bad thing that Venkys have repeatedly resisted offers for Rhodes. 99% of clubs, managers and supporters would be delighted for the owners to continue to resist big money to keep hold of a 20 goal a season striker.

The rebuilding job can be financed using the £10 million we brought in from selling Gestede, Cairney and King and hopefully further input from the owners. Every other club is allowed to spend their owners money to compete, I fail to see why we shouldn't be able to.

It will be interesting though, because its obvious in the last couple of years the owners have had the final say over offers for the likes of Rhodes and Cairney. Will Lambert have insisted on absolute control on the transfer front? How will he explain it to the owners if he wants Rhodes sold and they don't want to sell him?

Lambert will immediately be putting himself under additional pressure with the owners if he wants them to sell Rhodes even though they don't want to. Likewise I'm sure the owners would be asking questions if they agreed to sell Rhodes and then we were nowhere near the top of the league after spending the money on inferior replacements, which is almost certainly what will happen.

If its so easy to reinvest the money on quality replacements then why aren't Middlesbrough doing that instead of putting £12 million on the table for an out of form striker?

I think Lambert has been promised a good kitty to spend irrespective of sales. He must be comfortable with his budget and that is why he took the job. He has enough of a job on his hands in the next few weeks to phase out the players who simply aren't good enough and replace them with those who are.

Rhodes is the least of our worries at this moment in time. Selling a 20 goal striker is just going to give us more problems to resolve.

Jesus Christ! Stop reading things that aren't there. I haven't intimated in the slightest i think it's a bad thing that Rhodes hasn't be sold.

Selling Rhodes is a big decision and not one to be taken lightly. I was just putting forward my opinion. That opinion is based on something I was told i.e. that Lambert doesn't think Rhodes is irreplaceable. The fact he doesn't think twice about subbing him only adds to that theory. Whether selling Rhodes is a good decision or not is an entirely different question. If he gets £12m for Rhodes and gets another striker to score 20 goals, another to get 10 and a midfielder to chip in with a few AND have some money left over then it's obviously a good decision. Gestede got 21 last year and he cost £200k. It can be done.

Based on what I was told the owners know that Lambert thinks Rhodes is replaceable. So i'd imagine the owners already know Lambert's feelings because it's obviously already been discussed. Even if i hadn't been told it stands to reason that Rhodes would have been discussed simply because he is our main saleable asset, and clubs want to pay big money for him. I'm sure Lambert will have money to spend regardless, he's said so himself, but if he needs a lot of money to build the team he wants then Rhodes may have to be sold.

Haven't got a clue about Boro, but their situation is a lot different to ours. All they are short of is a quality striker. Their manager, and probably his uncle too, have decided Rhodes is the answer, in much the same way we did when we spent £8 on him.

We are short in quite a few positions and for that reason Rhodes is a problem IF the manager doesn't think he fits in to whatever system he wants to play. Or, Lambert sees Rhodes as central to his team and the info i got was duff.

Whatever happens it has to be the best decision for the club, not the owners, Rhodes, Boro or whoever. If Lambert thinks he can get better results by selling Rhodes and re-investing the money then that's his decision.

I honestly don't think Lambert will even try to build a team around Rhodes. He doesn't have the physical presence, strength or speed for that. Seemingly, his value now outweighs his usefulness and he is, despite what anyone says, simply not performing or even contributing. I've no doubt that either in Jan or June he's outta here and the proper rebuilding will then start. We'll be best off cashing in next month, before his value plummets. We need to hit the ground running next season, so my hope is we start bringing long-term players in now (if possible).

I guess I am backed into the corner with den now ☺ but if Rhodes suddenly turns in all round performances like he did against Ipswich, then of course I'll hold my hands up to being wrong.

It matters not one jot what me you or den think, Paul Lamberts the manager, and its what he thinks that counts.

I'm sure he'll be looking at his budget and weighing up his options, but I can tell you one thing, big mobile strikers that guarantee 15 goals a season don't grow on trees, especially for championship clubs, but time will tell, I'm sure we're all just glad we can discuss transfers again to be honest.

It won't hurt us or Rudy to ask about a return on loan. If he says no, fine. But you have to ask. Why sell Rhodes, when we should find a target man to compliment him.

I'd have Rudi back in a heartbeat...but the returning forwards never work out for us 😦

I'd have Rudi back in a heartbeat...but the returning forwards never work out for us

It's really more a case of knowing what worked. If not Rudy, the idea of a genuine target man is what we should be going for. I wouldn't be against signing Crouch, if he takes a pay cut etc. But we will be silly to sell Rhodes

We're so one-paced and workmanlike as a team. I guess that comes from the previous manager preferring a team of triers and eschewing any kind of creativity. The players are terrified to push up because they'll end up getting caught out, which leaves Rhodes isolated and resorting to hoofball. It also makes it far easier for the opposition to play against us because they know they're not going to leave enough space for us to punish them. When you have creative talent like Dunn/Rochina, or a speed demon like King, it keeps the opposition looking over their shoulder and creates space for the rest of the team. Until we address this, I can just see us plodding along as usual.

We're so one-paced and workmanlike as a team. I guess that comes from the previous manager preferring a team of triers and eschewing any kind of creativity. The players are terrified to push up because they'll end up getting caught out, which leaves Rhodes isolated and resorting to hoofball. It also makes it far easier for the opposition to play against us because they know they're not going to leave enough space for us to punish them. When you have creative talent like Dunn/Rochina, or a speed demon like King, it keeps the opposition looking over their shoulder and creates space for the rest of the team. Until we address this, I can just see us plodding along as usual.

The previous manager tried to sell Rhodes for footballing reasons and was blocked by our non footballing understanding owners. Subsequently then left to shop in the bargain basement.

You need to let Rochina go as well, he was not very good.

The previous manager tried to sell Rhodes for footballing reasons and was blocked by our non footballing understanding owners. Subsequently then left to shop in the bargain basement.

He signed the most creative player in this division, barely played him, then let him go to a league rival.

You need to let Rochina go as well, he was not very good.

That's why he's playing in one of Europe's top leagues? Rochina is a cut above anything we currently have.

Haha what? Lamberts not managed a goal from open play in 7 matches. The previous manager created more chances against Burnley than Lambert has since he's been here. Shame we lost or he might still be here. Lambert and creativity don't belong in the same sentence at the moment.

I think you may have inadvertently suggested why Rhodes will be sold though. Too slow to trouble the opposition when we need an 'out' ball. With Lambert's defensive set up we desperately need some pace up front, or at least someone to hold it up.

Rochina could come back to do keepy-up's at H-T and entertain the crowd. I'll let you know how he does

He signed the most creative player in this division, barely played him, then let him go to a league rival.

That's why he's playing in one of Europe's top leagues? Rochina is a cut above anything we currently have.

Cairney? He played in the majority of games and was sold to get out of the embargo.

On form Conway and Marshall produce more than I have ever seen Rochina create.

Think you are being a bit harsh - don't know where Fulham are currently playing Cairney, but when I saw them he was playing right wing - where our fans gave so much stick for playing him. Also - I presume (don't know) that Cairney was sold to help get us out of FFP and balance the books. Also - Cairney had a poor season with us prior to selling - so at the time given the restrictions we were under - it wasn't that bad a deal (don't get me wrong if money wasn't an issue it would have been daft to sell him).

The last issue with Cairney has always been the ability to play central in a 4 man midfield - IMO he is far more suited to playing in a 5 man midfield - but our star striker isn't suited to the role of lone striker - a difficult quandary.

Has that 1-0 defeat to Burnley become the Rovers equivalent of 'That Night In Istanbul?'

Never thought I'd see such eulogizing over a miserable defeat to the Dingles.

Cairney? He played in the majority of games and was sold to get out of the embargo.

On form Conway and Marshall produce more than I have ever seen Rochina create.

Think you are being a bit harsh - don't know where Fulham are currently playing Cairney, but when I saw them he was playing right wing - where our fans gave so much stick for playing him. Also - I presume (don't know) that Cairney was sold to help get us out of FFP and balance the books. Also - Cairney had a poor season with us prior to selling - so at the time given the restrictions we were under - it wasn't that bad a deal (don't get me wrong if money wasn't an issue it would have been daft to sell him).

The last issue with Cairney has always been the ability to play central in a 4 man midfield - IMO he is far more suited to playing in a 5 man midfield - but our star striker isn't suited to the role of lone striker - a difficult quandary.

You think I'm talking about Cairney?

Hint hint: Cairney is not the most creative player in this league. Try again.

Has that 1-0 defeat to Burnley become the Rovers equivalent of 'That Night In Istanbul?'

Never thought I'd see such eulogizing over a miserable defeat to the Dingles.

You think I'm talking about Cairney?

Hint hint: Cairney is not the most creative player in this league. Try again.

Ok Judge. Yeah he has done well since he left but again he never really looked good enough here.

And Bowyer loved him too. He was never going to get past Marshall/Cairney/Conway.

Ok Judge. Yeah he has done well since he left but again he never really looked good enough here.

Whose fault is that?

If Judge can do the business under successive managers at Brentford, why couldn't Bowyer get the best out of him?

Get your tin hat on mate, as will I!!

This is exactly what the previous management thought. I'll hazard a guess that the current management feel the same, as does Strachan, as did his predecessors.

Has anyone stopped to think why we have NEVER scored goals from midfield? There's a train of thought which believes that if your forward cannot physically hold a ball up or run in behind. If he cannot technically trap a ball or make a 5yrd pass regularly them how can your midfield benefit?

Dependant on what is available, I'd be looking to keep him until the summer. But if the money is right and will allow to buy the players you need then crack on I say!!

A team willing to pay £12m for Rhodes obviously don't share your concern.

Forget Anichebe Chads... Back in the fold for West Brom now.

. Maybe I'm just too suspicious but a few players who don't normally get a run out (I Anichebe Chamakh Rangel Tom Carroll just to name a few I've seen recently ) seem to get games this time of year ... Might have something to do with the impending transfer window

Archived