BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

Interestingly his performances don't seem to have deterred the best side in the league, who appear to be prepared to break their transfer record to try and get him.

I think that says it all about what he is capable of and that he is highly sought after by good sides.

You don't sell your better players and get promoted.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Star player? have you been watching his performances?

He's going through a run of bad form den, happens to most footballers at some stage, look at his goal scoring record, its phenomenal, to sell would be bonkers, but you've backed yourself into a corner over Rhodes and now can't get out which is a shame really.

The other angle to this is that he might be worth sacrificing if it then enables us to strengthen multiple areas of the team.

I would prefer us to be able to spend money and strengthen without having to sell assets first. Most other sides have been able to do that. Middlesbrough the obvious example.

Selling our better players is one of the reasons we are in the state we are at present. We need to keep our core of quality and add numbers to them.

I'm sure some posters are just trying to be controversial by advocating selling Rhodes, it makes no sense at all, and I'm sure its the last thing on Lamberts mind.

Ask any manager whats the hardest position to fill in a team and they'll all say a goalscorer, they don't grow on trees, when you have one you keep him and supply him, simple as that,

I think you're missing the point mate everyone (in the world I think) accepts that Rhodes is a fabulous finisher. Where there is a difference in opinion is that some believe (as you do) that the value of his goal scoring prowess is the be all and end all. Others (myself included) believe that whilst his goal scoring is hugely important to our cause, his difficiencies make him as harmful as he is useful. I can tell you with confidence that the previous managerial team felt that way. It's Venkys who have blocked the sale on every occasion.

I still believe there's a possibility that if we replaced the likes of Akpan, Guthrie Koita and Marshal with some decent quality, Rhodes would thrive.

IMO if Lambert can buy some creative, goal scoring midfielders and a strong, mobile striker who has 15 goals a season in him but Is able to hold the ball up, make 10-15yard link up passes and stretch defences with their pace he will allow Rhodes to leave for the right money. At £12m with Lambert in charge of buys I'd let him go...

The sum of the parts is always more valuable than one individual.

If Jordan is committed long term to the club then it makes no sense in selling him if Lambert sees him as an important player. However if Jordan will slap in a transfer request the next time a club come calling then sorry he needs to be sold. It's all well and good building around Jordan to get the best from him, but if he wants out 6-12 months down the line then it will cost us down the road.

I hear what people are saying about strength ting other areas but it leaves us with nowt up top . How much will it cost to replace his goals . ?

If you had a striker who could hold the ball up and stretch defences with their pace you wouldn't need a 30 a season striker though. Because he would be laying on and creating opportunities for others around him.

• Moderation Lead

If you had a striker who could hold the ball up and stretch defences with their pace you wouldn't need a 30 a season striker though. Because he would be laying on and creating opportunities for others around him.

I hope to god you're right as generally speaking, during Rhodes' time here, nobody (Gestede aside) has chipped in with anything like a good goal return to ease the pressure on him.

IMO, it's becoming crystal clear how much we rely on his goals because nobody else really chips in. I don't think Rhodes' goals are the be all and end all at all, but it just strikes me as being a bit mad to want to actively want to sell someone who has bagged 20 a season for the last however many when we really would need to be frugal in the market to replace those goals.

Say we got £12 Million, teams would know we have that in the back pocket and would inflate prices of players we were after imo. It's all relative of course, but whilst Rhodes is going through a run of poor form at the minute, we'd be mad to sell him, especially to the league leaders......

I think you're missing the point mate everyone (in the world I think) accepts that Rhodes is a fabulous finisher. Where there is a difference in opinion is that some believe (as you do) that the value of his goal scoring prowess is the be all and end all. Others (myself included) believe that whilst his goal scoring is hugely important to our cause, his difficiencies make him as harmful as he is useful. I can tell you with confidence that the previous managerial team felt that way. It's Venkys who have blocked the sale on every occasion.

I still believe there's a possibility that if we replaced the likes of Akpan, Guthrie Koita and Marshal with some decent quality, Rhodes would thrive.

IMO if Lambert can buy some creative, goal scoring midfielders and a strong, mobile striker who has 15 goals a season in him but Is able to hold the ball up, make 10-15yard link up passes and stretch defences with their pace he will allow Rhodes to leave for the right money. At £12m with Lambert in charge of buys I'd let him go...

I have heard similar about Rhodes transfer being blocked by the owners. Obviously a family of chicken farmers know more about football than a management team who have spent their lives in the game.

Their levels of incompetence knows no bound.

Bristol City tried getting a quality striker in the summer and bid huge for Gayle and Gray, but neither joined.

Now look at them. Failing due to a chronic lack of goals.

We're fortunate we have one of those strikers. Letting him go would be very brave or very stupid.

I hope to god you're right as generally speaking, during Rhodes' time here, nobody (Gestede aside) has chipped in with anything like a good goal return to ease the pressure on him.

IMO, it's becoming crystal clear how much we rely on his goals because nobody else really chips in. I don't think Rhodes' goals are the be all and end all at all, but it just strikes me as being a bit mad to want to actively want to sell someone who has bagged 20 a season for the last however many when we really would need to be frugal in the market to replace those goals.

Say we got £12 Million, teams would know we have that in the back pocket and would inflate prices of players we were after imo. It's all relative of course, but whilst Rhodes is going through a run of poor form at the minute, we'd be mad to sell him, especially to the league leaders......

We need to get over the obsession of replacing Rhodes twenty goals. We need to increase our teams goals overall.

If Dickov and Roberts played up front they wouldn't score twenty between them but we would be a much better team.

Bristol City tried getting a quality striker in the summer and bid huge for Gayle and Gray, but neither joined.

We're fortunate we have one of those strikers. Letting him go would be very brave or very stupid.

If he went and we ended up doing well next season and playing some good stuff you can just see all the outcries from here

"if only we had a finisher"

Catch 22 but for me option one still should be build around him but I really do think he wants away. Goal drought aside he doesn't appear to have done anything to try and impress the new regime, the opposite in fact which is out of character for him.

• Moderation Lead

We need to get over the obsession of replacing Rhodes twenty goals. We need to increase our teams goals overall.

If Dickov and Roberts played up front they wouldn't score twenty between them but we would be a much better team.

Did you read my post that you quoted? That was in the first line!!

Even if we did get rid, who's chipping in with his missing goals? Are our midfielders going to get up the field and support the attack?

I fully understand what posters are saying Mani, I just strongly disagree, you don't sell a goal machine like Rhodes and expect to thrive. Buying a creative midfielder is tough at this level, buying a 15 goal a season mobile strong striker is even tougher!

A decent manager will build the side around the striker, Bowyer tried and failed, I think Lambert will certainly try, lets hope he doesn't fail.

Get your tin hat on mate, as will I!!

This is exactly what the previous management thought. I'll hazard a guess that the current management feel the same, as does Strachan, as did his predecessors.

Has anyone stopped to think why we have NEVER scored goals from midfield? There's a train of thought which believes that if your forward cannot physically hold a ball up or run in behind. If he cannot technically trap a ball or make a 5yrd pass regularly them how can your midfield benefit?

Dependant on what is available, I'd be looking to keep him until the summer. But if the money is right and will allow to buy the players you need then crack on I say!!

Just been thinking about who we could get in and who would perform. Although we need pace I think Peter Crouch would be good loan signing, really honest player and never had pace but is always a great target man with bags of experience.

A look at the league table and goal scoring charts makes interesting reading .... Only 2 of the top 10 goalscores in the league play for a top 6 team , does that suggest that to be successful in this league , sharing goals amongst the whole squad and/or a better defence is more important?? ...Not anti-Rhodes in any way , just suggesting that when Rhodes isn't scoring or creating chances , no other players are stepping up

Did you read my post that you quoted? That was in the first line!!

Even if we did get rid, who's chipping in with his missing goals? Are our midfielders going to get up the field and support the attack?

Better players will get up there. If I am being honest all 11 could be replaced if we are being honest. That should be the aim, improve in every area.

Get your tin hat on mate, as will I!!

This is exactly what the previous management thought. I'll hazard a guess that the current management feel the same, as does Strachan, as did his predecessors.

Has anyone stopped to think why we have NEVER scored goals from midfield? There's a train of thought which believes that if your forward cannot physically hold a ball up or run in behind. If he cannot technically trap a ball or make a 5yrd pass regularly them how can your midfield benefit?

Dependant on what is available, I'd be looking to keep him until the summer. But if the money is right and will allow to buy the players you need then crack on I say!!

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel about the situation.

Got a feeling it will be different this under Lambert, he will be allowed to sell if he wants.

. They have a player called Kodiga who has scored as many goals as Rhodes

I fully understand what posters are saying Mani, I just strongly disagree, you don't sell a goal machine like Rhodes and expect to thrive. Buying a creative midfielder is tough at this level, buying a 15 goal a season mobile strong striker is even tougher!

A decent manager will build the side around the striker, Bowyer tried and failed, I think Lambert will certainly try, lets hope he doesn't fail.

Haha trust me Bowyer never tried to build his side around Rhodes. He tried to accommodate him for the fans and the owners sake.

Fully understand what you are saying Gav so I would say you have to take a hit on the goals and get a mobile strong striker in.

I would sooner have 1 player that's there to serve 10, than 10 to serve 1.

Archived