BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

. Maybe I'm just too suspicious but a few players who don't normally get a run out (I Anichebe Chamakh Rangel Tom Carroll just to name a few I've seen recently ) seem to get games this time of year ... Might have something to do with the impending transfer window

I thought the same thing. Shop window games.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think Bamford will go to Boro, so JR will stay at Rovers. Crouch can see interesting Big Sam, he's tried to sign him several times before.

Rantie could be interesting. Think Grant Holt will sign on till May soon too, he's just returned to Wigwam from Wolves.

Whilst everyone's rightly talking about forwards and attacking players Paul Lambert needs to find an experienced head to play alongside Grant Hanley in the heart of defence if Duffy can't buck his ideas up.

How's about we actually try and improve him instead! You never know, it might save a few bob that we don't have.

Besides, surely you cannot advocate any signings when you "know" they are picked by agents for non-footballing reasons.

How's about we actually try and improve him instead! You never know, it might save a few bob that we don't have.

Besides, surely you cannot advocate any signings when you "know" they are picked by agents for non-footballing reasons.

Quite right. Duffy is just 23 and still building up his experience. CBs have to acquire ''The CB Knowledge'' and that takes time. Ferdinands recent defence of John Stones was spot on and a good CB will learn from their mistakes. Duffy was badly at fault for the Bolton goal but will learn from his mistakes.

He needs a lot of work on his attacking headers and distribution but he has got the basics to turn out to be a good-un.

Anyhting to add on the football? Nah, thought not, you never do.

Well well there's a first, you actually trying to tell us your posts are on football and not your Bowyer love in and Lambert diss campaign. Oh dam given you another excuse, go on then it's at least a laugh.

Because in his last full season at Villa they were the lowest scorers in all four divisions and they played horrible, dull football. Chief complaints from the Villa fans were lack of creativity, lots of sideways passing that came to nothing, and being utterly clueless tactically.

In his 7 games with us we haven't scored from open play and we play horrible, dull football.

He may come good but i think his early days at Norwich and Colchester were a bit of a false dawn as far as his managerial career is concerned. He seems to have become a very defensive coach with no idea how to create chances for his forwards. His signings will tell us a lot about how he wants us to play. Hopefully he'll sign forwards with pace and skill, and get someone in the centre of midfield who can give them the ball. He has already mentioned that we are short on height so we can expect a big forward to come in to replace Rhodes who i think he'll sell if a big enough bid comes in. By subbing Rhodes he is preparing the fans for his departure.

The real question is why do some have such belief in Lambert? He's hardly had a stellar career in management. Nigel Adkins has done what Lambert has and now he's back in Lg1.

BRFC is more important than Paul Lambert. It is up to Paul Lambert to prove he is good enough to manage BRFC. NOBODY wants him to fail but he will have to do a lot more than talk a good game in the press before he gets lauded as the 2nd coming, which some of you lot are doing already. He will certainly get my support on matchdays but he will have to improve considerably on his early showings. Performances on the pitch have gone steadily backwards to the point we looked like a League 2 outfit against Bolton.

Lets hope he improves given time and some new players. In the meantime, if performances like Bolton continue, he deserves to be on the brunt of some harsh criticism. We have essentially a mid-table Championship squad and have done for the last 3 years. He is making it look like a lot worse than that.

Leave it out mate. 7 games in, zero transfer windows to improve the squad and you're chatting about 'dull' 'horrible' football? It's you who needs to give your head a wobble fella. Embarassing stuff mate.

A team willing to pay £12m for Rhodes obviously don't share your concern.

It's horses for courses mate and if there is anyone willing to pay £12m for him I'd snap their hands off! Interesting that not a single PL club shares the admiration though?

I feel a bit sorry for Rhodes if this is true, well as sorry as you can be for someone on £40k pw.

He must have known Bowyer was prepared to sell him, which probably explains him going to the press when the owners blocked it. Not a nice situation for him at all, especially when there were clubs who did want him and were in a better position than us.

On the contrary. Gentlemans agreement between management, Shelfy and Rhodes re agreeable fee. The fly in that particular ointment was Venkys!!

No offence and perhaps it's more of a reflection on the short sightedness of the previous management team than on your good self but just read back again the nonsense I've highlighted in bold.

What you're saying is that if we can replace Rhodes with a striker who scores as near as dammit as many goals but with a far superior all round game then we can sort out the midfield as well. You're looking for the complete all round striker, almost Sheareresque, It's not happening, such a player would cost far more than Rhodes would bring in rendering the exercise completely pointless.

In the real world a target man type coming him is likely to be a sub ten goal a season man which leaves us with the problem of replacing the extra goals and with no guarantee whatsoever that any new players brought in will hit the ground running in terms of goalscoring.

Not really. Rhodes is roughly a 25 a season man. I'm talking about buying a striker who reduces the goal tally by 40% and replaces it with an increased amount of mobility, pace and strength along with the ability to regularly be able to control a ball and make simple 5-10yrd passes without losing the ball. It actually wouldn't take much to increase those attributes vs Rhodes as he is sooooo poor in those departments.

The key here is that the modern manager expects so much more from their striker today.

I would actually concentrate on replacing all of the midfield apart from Conway in the first instance. I'd keep Rhodes in this window and see if we can get him ticking. I just can't see it happening...

If we were to sell him we would need to buy more than one striker as we would be left with delf Brown and koita not a lot of goals in that lot.

Yeah, we'd need two instead of one. Agreed.

Koita and Brown are horrible and need to vanish. I still quite like Delf...not sure why!! Ha

Forget Anichebe Chads... Back in the fold for West Brom now.

I posted a link yesterday saying that he might leave WBA.

could be worth it

Was mentioned about giving some youth lads a go but my mate in the know says Tomlinson is struggling in reserves and has a bad attitude. Shame, looked decent in the summer.

That's is a really shame that Tomlinson has gone backwards

Ideally a mixture of the two. We're desperately short of some experience to be able to control games, Crouch would probably give us the hold up play we've needed since Gestede left. Connor Washington is the man to watch in the lower leagues at the moment, he's most likely to be the next Assombalonga, Gayle, Gray, Wilson at this moment. Wait until the summer and he could be worth double what he is now and will prob pass us by.

so Washington is a pacey striker?

how much would he cost do you think?

None of them are as good as Rhodes.

But Rhodes doesn't suit Lambert's style of play or tactics but a Target man and pacey striker would.

I don't see Lambert changing his style of play or Tactics to suit Rhodes. do you?

The players Ive suggestion would fit Lambert's style.

are you happy with Lambert as manager?

Rantie could be interesting. Think Grant Holt will sign on till May soon too, he's just returned to Wigwam from Wolves.

what type of player is Tokelo Rantie? does he have pace and strength?

I wouldn't be surprised if we signed Grant Holt for a 6 months loan.

Whilst everyone's rightly talking about forwards and attacking players Paul Lambert needs to find an experienced head to play alongside Grant Hanley in the heart of defence if Duffy can't buck his ideas up.

Really? I remember when a youngish centre half called Glenn Keeley signed for the Rovers. Duffy reminds me of him a lot and he didn't turn out too badly. Duffy is the least of our on-field problems at the moment JAL. And yes I did see him get turned for the goal at Bolton, it happens sometimes.

But Rhodes doesn't suit Lambert's style of play or tactics but a Target man and pacey striker would.

I don't see Lambert changing his style of play or Tactics to suit Rhodes. do you?

The players Ive suggestion would fit Lambert's style.

are you happy with Lambert as manager?

What style of play? You've just come up with some tactics that he may employ in your head and assumed they are not suitable for Rhodes.

Hes been here for is it 7 games, and I haven't really seen tactics in terms of attacking, all our goals have been own goals and set pieces.

And yes I was happy when he was appointed, not that it makes a difference. So far I have not seen any improvement.

Apart from an organised defence, and a good crosser, the only asset he has is a very good one, a 20 goal striker.

We can either build the rest of our midfield/attack around him, or around crap players.

What style of play? You've just come up with some tactics that he may employ in your head and assumed they are not suitable for Rhodes.

Hes been here for is it 7 games, and I haven't really seen tactics in terms of attacking, all our goals have been own goals and set pieces.

And yes I was happy when he was appointed, not that it makes a difference. So far I have not seen any improvement.

Apart from an organised defence, and a good crosser, the only asset he has is a very good one, a 20 goal striker.

We can either build the rest of our midfield/attack around him, or around crap players.

haven't we been playing a very direct passing game?

But if we are going to play this way surely we need a target man striker?

also don't we need other areas strengthen aswell like attacking midfielder and pacey winger plus a Right Back?

haven't we been playing a very direct passing game?

But if we are going to play this way surely we need a target man striker?

also don't we need other areas strengthen aswell like attacking midfielder and pacey winger plus a Right Back?

There doesn't seem to be any plan, but basically you are saying that a good manager would decide on a tactic in advance, and refuse to deviate from that, rather than build a team around by far our best player?

If he just goes with the idea of direct football without any thought as to our current personnel, then he wont be successful.

Archived