BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window - January 2016

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take your point Abs but i'd sooner have 2 10+ goal a season forwards who can run the forward line properly. This isn't me having a go at the lad, just me saying what I'd prefer us to do. Sell Rhodes and chuck 5-6 million at Gayle and go for Connor Washington at Peterborough.

What type of player is Washington?

If Lambert is going to play a direct style of play in 4-4-2 formation then these are the positions will need players for

We need a big target man, pacey striker, Winger with pace, right back and creative midfielder.

After Rhodes, Delfoneso is easily our best striker and that is why we are looking down atm and not up. Brown is a non-entity and Koita is the prototype try-hard but basically rubbish at everything required L1/2 type. At least Delfoneso has a turn of pace.

Right now we're playing against Rhodes attributes rather than for and our MF is a mile off the pace.

Defence is largely better than it has been (Duffy's brain fart today aside) but work needed in transfer window everywhere else.

this is why we should play to his attributes but the midfield cant service is non existent virtually

451/433 would suit rhodes better IMO. Use flanks and counter, give him chances in behind defence and avoid using him to hold play up or play off knock downs. Could do it with Akpan, Evans and Guthrie but we'd need to see some improvement in terms of holding the ball!

JBIZZLE answers but I personally feel we need better in the window to go 433

3 4 3 against what are perceived as weaker teams, 3 5 2 against stronger teams, but I would not be using many of the players on show today. I would also concentrate on attacking down just one wing, but whoever that winger is must produce better crosses than today.

Let's get real. Akpan, Guthrie, Brown, Delfouneso, Koita and Williamson are not worthy of the shirt at this level. I'm giving Taylor and Henley the benefit of the doubt. Take those former guys out and that leaves a big hole in an already small squad. Beyond that Duffy might be defending better (apart from today's aberration) but he ought to take more of the gilt edged chances he gets. If JR doesn't score who does? Why are we mid table and why did we lose to a desperately poor Bolton side? I think the answer is plain to see. Lambert has an almighty task ahead of him and without releasing significant funds next month to make key changes - JR being the only possible source for that - I can't see what he can do given the dross he has inherited.

So get rid of rhodes????you still going to have the same bloody midfield wether you bring in bamford or whoever else

If we kept Rhodes and somehow brought in Bamford then I could see them a good partnership. I'm still mixed on the Rhodes debate (sell or not)

The midfield definitely must improve

Since the rest of this season is basically a write off now, could we not give some of the higher rated kids a go, along side some loans and see if they're good enough to play a part next year.

Something like:

Steele

Nyambe / New, Duffy, Hanley, Olsson

Mahoney, New, Tomlinson, Conway

Rhodes, New

You never know, the likes of Mahoney and Tomlinson could well turn out to be this team's Duff, Dunn and Jansen. We won't know either way until they get the chance though.

Since the rest of this season is basically a write off now, could we not give some of the higher rated kids a go, along side some loans and see if they're good enough to play a part next year.

Something like:

Steele

Nyambe / New, Duffy, Hanley, Olsson

Mahoney, New, Tomlinson, Conway

Rhodes, New

You never know, the likes of Mahoney and Tomlinson could well turn out to be this team's Duff, Dunn and Jansen. We won't know either way until they get the chance though.

It's not a write off as it could easily be a relegation battle. Nothing wrong with throwing someone like Mahoney in though. He can't do any worse than Marshall/Conway today and a bit of youthful exuberance and zero fear may be just what the team needs. What we really need more than anything is a top class central midfielder.

As he keeps being mentioned it was revealed on MOTD that Bamford has cancelled his loan with CP tonight. He's not going to get in Chelsea's side so it must mean he's off somewhere. Here's hoping it's us but he could be off back to Boro...unless they're signing Rhodes.

Based on what I have seen we are desperately in need of some creative quality and striking reinforcements.

I'm not surprised or shocked that we are so lacking based on the fact that we have been under FFP for 12 months having spent the preceding 18 months stripping the cost out of the squad. 13 of the 18 players in our match day squad at Bolton did not cost us a fee. Four of the first 11 were brought in during the embargo and so considering the restrictions were the least desired free transfers in the market at the time we signed them.

Moving forward, for me, we need established players in the following positions: RB, 2 X wingers, 2 X CM, a 10 and a 9.

In this window I would prioritise a 9 (mobile, quick and strong), a 10 (Lawrence or Clough), a creative CM and a pacey winger.

For me, most of the squad should be retained to provide competition for places. Henley, Akpan, Guthrie, Marshal and Koita are not starters IMO and we should look to replace them in the first 11 ASAP.

I wouldn't sell Rhodes in this window unless the money was made available and top players were lined up.

It simply has to be up to Lambert. If rumours are to be true then the owners have blocked his sale previously and that is outrageous if they are interfering in football decisions.

With regards to Rhodes, Lambert's a Scot - and he knows Scotland manager Gordon Strachan well. They will have had discussions about Rhodes and all his deficiencies. There's a reason why he doesn't get a game for the national team and why he's never made it to the Prem. I might be wrong but I think you'll see Rhodes leaving the club sooner rather than later.

He doesn't get a game in the Scottish national side because Strachan is unable to build a side around him that suits his game, he just doesn't have the personnel to accommodate a Jordan Rhodes.

As I said to Pedro the other day, no manager worth his salt willingly sells a 20 goal a season striker in our position, a mid table championship club with no money to spend, its complete madness and I'm sure Lambert knows just that.

Bowyer had the right idea, creative midfielder and wingers are what we need to play with Rhodes, they just don't grow on trees sadly and Bowyer paid the price, lets hope Lambert finds the winning combination and hopefully this nonsense about selling a 20 goal a season striker will stop.

There's far more outrageous stuff gone on under the venkyscum's tenure ..allegedly

It simply has to be up to Lambert. If rumours are to be true then the owners have blocked his sale previously and that is outrageous if they are interfering in football decisions.

To me it's got to be done in stages and quality over quantity Imo. A top class rb, cm and striker would be better than 5/6 weaker players. IF we had funds then another striker, cm and winger would be nice but feel that may have to wait till the summer.

Plenty of players capable of being squad players Imo so need to get rid of the ones contributing nothing/with no potential. Taylor, Brown, Delfy, Williamson all would face the boot

I'd also like to see loans for Koita, Henley and Raya to see if can get them up to speed. If we could that'd be like 3 new players and a huge saving in funds. It'd also help bolster problem positions in the squad.

Archived