BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton Away 23.1.2015

I think he means without bringing in a replacement tbh. In isolation he's right, though you'd expect Lambert to seek cover asap if Olsson were to leave.

The money being talked about for Olsson with only 6 months left on his contract would be generous in any event.

Personally I hope Derby bottle it again and get hit with a transfer embargo after trying to buy every single player in the league to get promoted again.

Its looking like that. Chances of automatic promotion reducing with every game. Big gamble.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we are bringing more 30+ year olds that've been released from Barnsley or Huddersfield loanees that could hardly get a game - I can't see us improving on Marcus.

The signings so far have been underwhelming- I thought we'd invest but it's just more bargain bin signings. It's only 12 months since we had slew, Orr on the books etc but surely now is the time to invest in younger players, not Jackson, Ward and Bennett. I'm happy to give them a chance

In typical rovers fan fashion - he's crap now he's leaving, but don't forget that he's signing for a team trying to get out of this division.

• Moderation Lead

If we are bringing more 30+ year olds that've been released from Barnsley or Huddersfield loanees that could hardly get a game - I can't see us improving on Marcus.

The signings so far have been underwhelming- I thought we'd invest but it's just more bargain bin signings. It's only 12 months since we had slew, Orr on the books etc but surely now is the time to invest in younger players, not Jackson, Ward and Bennett. I'm happy to give them a chance

In typical rovers fan fashion - he's crap now he's leaving, but don't forget that he's signing for a team trying to get out of this division.

This is true, but the new signings only been here 3 games maximum. I imagine the summer will be the time we can spend actual cash, as due to coming out of the embargo if we go making it rain we will end up back in there. (Though strangely this principle doesn't seem to apply to Derby County).

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing Ward, we are crying out for a bit of composure at the back.

The other signings, well, I see it as Lambert looking to fill the place with 'his lads' as he tries to change the dynamic of the dressing room, nothing wrong with that per se as it is being done fairly cheaply.

Lets just get through this season and see what happens in the summer; if it is more loans and cast offs, then I think the days of BRFC even competing in mid table of the Championship will be coming to an end.

But how overwhelmed were you when we signed Brown and Spurr from Doncaster, Cairney and Evans from Hull reserves or Gestede and Conway from Cardiff reserves? That is exactly where we are at this moment in time and Lambert has said (and reiterated) that the January window is notoriously difficult. Hopefully we will see some cash signings in the summer. I have faith in what Lambert is trying to achieve and players leaving will be a consequence of this.

When we signed doncasters player of the year on frees I felt fair enough - especially considering that we'd been paying off players right left and centre. All that crap is finished now, so less excuses.

When we signed Conway and Gestede, we signed players that would challenge our first team - one of them we ended up selling for a huge profit, which likely took us out the embargo.

If you think we will get anything like that for Ward, Jackson or Bennett - you're kidding yourself.

PL wouldn't even be able to sign anyone if it wasn't for the good investment we made in younger cheap out of favour players over the last few years.

I genuinely thought that we'd look for more of this type of signing considering the success previous- not journeymen.

But how overwhelmed were you .

Not very, but much more happy with signing spurr Gestede and Cairney as opposed to Ward, Bennett and Simeon "rushden and diamonds" Jackson.

• Moderation Lead

When we signed doncasters player of the year on frees I felt fair enough - especially considering that we'd been paying off players right left and centre. All that crap is finished now, so less excuses.

When we signed Conway and Gestede, we signed players that would challenge our first team - one of them we ended up selling for a huge profit, which likely took us out the embargo.

If you think we will get anything like that for Ward, Jackson or Bennett - you're kidding yourself.

PL wouldn't even be able to sign anyone if it wasn't for the good investment we made in younger cheap out of favour players over the last few years.

I genuinely thought that we'd look for more of this type of signing considering the success previous- not journeymen.

Not very, but much more happy with signing spurr Gestede and Cairney as opposed to Ward, Bennett and Simeon "rushden and diamonds" Jackson.

Got to pull you up on the first bit in bold, weren't we warned that big cash signings would result in us going back into the embargo fairly quickly?

Lambert is signing players he knows, who you've been very quick to criticise despite them playing 3 games so far? Wait until the summer when we have a few players out of contract and we've more wriggle room regarding wages. (At the risk of being repetitive) He's been here 2 months, they're the only players he's signed. You've cherry picked some of Bowyer's best signings from 2 and a half years of being here, not exactly the fairest comparison is it?

For a bit more balance- Bowyer's first signings were Alan Judge, Alex Marrow and Chris Taylor (As well as Spurr you mentioned above).

As many have pointed out, it seems that most of our business will be undertaken in summer. However, I'm not sure how the signing of Gestede was exciting, given Cardiff fans were delighted to see him go and his goal record was appalling. Obviously it turned out well, but you said you were much happier with signing him than Ward - despite the fact Ward has a good reputation as a defender at this level, and has played for this manager before. You can make the same point for Tommy Spurr - he's probably in the same ball park as Ward, yet you were much happier with Spurr, which seems to underline that there is a difference in your expectations between Lambert and Bowyer, or perhaps a small element of bias towards the previous manager.

Lambert can be judged more on his signings in the summer. I doubt you were over the moon when Bowyer signed the likes of Liam Feeney, Luke Varney, Paul Taylor and some of the other garbage that have pulled on the shirt in the last few years. At least Lambert's signings have played under him, meaning he knows what he will get from them. Plus, it's probable that they have come in to improve the complacent, lax attitude that seems to prevail in the dressing room currently. For Bowyer's successes in the transfer market, he didn't bring in many strong characters, and signed plenty of players who seem happy with the bare minimum. If Lambert feels the new additions can not only contribute themselves, but also lift the squad, then all power to him.

Bowyer had the luxury of being able to bring in over 30 players, and inevitably some of them were sold on for a good fee. Lambert has only just been able to delve into the market for us, and doesn't have the good fortune of having a summer to bring the squad up to speed - he needs players who can help now, and if he thinks the new bunch can do that then we must trust his judgement.

If Lambert is still signing players who don't seem a marked improvement in summer, then we can worry, but his early signings smack of a man trying to put his stamp on the club, and to do that he needs some allies in the dressing room.

Got to pull you up on the first bit in bold, weren't we warned that big cash signings would result in us going back into the embargo fairly quickly?

Lambert is signing players he knows, who you've been very quick to criticise despite them playing 3 games so far? Wait until the summer when we have a few players out of contract and we've more wriggle room regarding wages. (At the risk of being repetitive) He's been here 2 months, they're the only players he's signed. You've cherry picked some of Bowyer's best signings from 2 and a half years of being here, not exactly the fairest comparison is it?

For a bit more balance- Bowyer's first signings were Alan Judge, Alex Marrow and Chris Taylor (As well as Spurr you mentioned above).

Why all of a sudden is it a priority to defend PL? I'm saying what I think, argue as you will but ultimately nothing you say is going to change my opinion that the club (not pl singularly) is letting me down by signing more lower league bargain bin signings.

I said that they will get there chance, but I can't see how I'm not allowed to criticise the signings? They are more of what we've done since the money was spunked - bargain bin signings where the actual reasoning has come from circumstance as opposed to quality.

If we could've made one decent money signing in a position we are desperate in - surely that would make more sense than filling up on more to release come July 1.

It's evident that we gave no money to spend, so why waste what little we have on wages of people who do not better the first team. I don't care about what GB did or anything else - the aim of promotion/good football ain't happening if we can't invest properly,

Can we leave this "defending/attacking" malarkey out also - if I think PL is making pointless signings, what has that to do with any previous managers? The context of signing Taylor Marrow and Judge is completely different to the scenario we currently find ourselves in.

• Moderation Lead

Why all of a sudden is it a priority to defend PL? I'm saying what I think, argue as you will but ultimately nothing you say is going to change my opinion that the club (not pl singularly) is letting me down by signing more lower league bargain bin signings.

I said that they will get there chance, but I can't see how I'm not allowed to criticise the signings? They are more of what we've done since the money was spunked - bargain bin signings where the actual reasoning has come from circumstance as opposed to quality.

If we could've made one decent money signing in a position we are desperate in - surely that would make more sense than filling up on more to release come July 1.

It's evident that we gave no money to spend, so why waste what little we have on wages of people who do not better the first team. I don't care about what GB did or anything else - the aim of promotion/good football ain't happening if we can't invest properly,

Can we leave this "defending/attacking" malarkey out also - if I think PL is making pointless signings, what has that to do with any previous managers? The context of signing Taylor Marrow and Judge is completely different to the scenario we currently find ourselves in.

I don't see the point in criticising signings so soon, when they've barely kicked a ball for us! They may be good, they may be poor, but we can't be sure yet, can we?? My only point re defending Lambert is you seem very quick to stick the boot in on Lambert, while giving Bowyer all the time/excuses in the world during his time here.

It's nothing to do with the black/white mentality on here, it's just a simple fact of people being hyper-critical of our new manager who's seat is barely warm, being scrutinised to the nth degree like he's been here 2 years already. THAT is what is frustrating. We're a work in progress, and it's been a very slow start, but I've got faith in the new man to get it right given time. If I'm wrong, I'll hold my hand up and admit I was wrong. You can hold me to that, as I know you will! :tu:

You say that it's a completely different scenario, but then earlier in your post, you say we have no money to spend, so surely that's the same scenario?

Have a bit of patience.

As many have pointed out, it seems that most of our business will be undertaken in summer. However, I'm not sure how the signing of Gestede was exciting, given Cardiff fans were delighted to see him go and his goal record was appalling. Obviously it turned out well, but you said you were much happier with signing him than Ward - despite the fact Ward has a good reputation as a defender at this level, and has played for this manager before. You can make the same point for Tommy Spurr - he's probably in the same ball park as Ward, yet you were much happier with Spurr, which seems to underline that there is a difference in your expectations between Lambert and Bowyer, or perhaps a small element of bias towards the previous manager.

Lambert can be judged more on his signings in the summer. I doubt you were over the moon when Bowyer signed the likes of Liam Feeney, Luke Varney, Paul Taylor and some of the other garbage that have pulled on the shirt in the last few years. At least Lambert's signings have played under him, meaning he knows what he will get from them. Plus, it's probable that they have come in to improve the complacent, lax attitude that seems to prevail in the dressing room currently. For Bowyer's successes in the transfer market, he didn't bring in many strong characters, and signed plenty of players who seem happy with the bare minimum. If Lambert feels the new additions can not only contribute themselves, but also lift the squad, then all power to him.

Bowyer had the luxury of being able to bring in over 30 players, and inevitably some of them were sold on for a good fee. Lambert has only just been able to delve into the market for us, and doesn't have the good fortune of having a summer to bring the squad up to speed - he needs players who can help now, and if he thinks the new bunch can do that then we must trust his judgement.

If Lambert is still signing players who don't seem a marked improvement in summer, then we can worry, but his early signings smack of a man trying to put his stamp on the club, and to do that he needs some allies in the dressing room.

Different scenario. we brought in players after a load of different managers had tried and ultimately failed to put us back in the top flight. Comparing the squads to now and then, the cost and the amount of overpaid dross - it simply had to happen to stop us going even further into debt. Compare that to now, when we already have two decent centrebacks who should start, Lenihan who has proven to be an able deputy and Kilgallon as a fourth number. Spurr himself can play centre back - so unless the unlikely event where Ward surpasses either Duffy and Hanley happens - I cannot see why we would be enamoured with this as anything other than a "numbers" signing. You bring up bias, I am thoroughly sick to death already of this stick used to beat anyone with anything critical to say. We signed plenty of numbers players - Paul Taylor, Spearing etc last season - yet we didn't have an "experienced manager who knew how to get out of this league" therefore expectations are completely different.

It seems that only the oblivious are obsessed with comparing GBs work with now - yet I get dragged into the debate every time I make a post because; "surely you couldn't have that opinion if you said XYZ etc"

Of course, the squad will need a massively upheaval in the summer because of the amount of players who will need either new contracts or replacing - does that mean I cannot say how underwhelmed I am by us signing who we have so far?

No it does not. Comparing how you felt after the 2012/13 season when we'd effectively reached the lowest point of the ebb, with now when we are supposed to be filled with excitement and expectation due to the owners hiring experience for the first time, its chalk and cheese.

The irony - Chris Taylor is at least still a useful member of the squad after 3 seasons, and I cant see any of this crop being here for the same amount of time. I'm wanting to be proved wrong by the way, there is no glory in being write about negative aspects of our club. At the end of the day, I want the same as anyone.

I don't see the point in criticising signings so soon, when they've barely kicked a ball for us! They may be good, they may be poor, but we can't be sure yet, can we?? My only point re defending Lambert is you seem very quick to stick the boot in on Lambert, while giving Bowyer all the time/excuses in the world during his time here.

It's nothing to do with the black/white mentality on here, it's just a simple fact of people being hyper-critical of our new manager who's seat is barely warm, being scrutinised to the nth degree like he's been here 2 years already. THAT is what is frustrating. We're a work in progress, and it's been a very slow start, but I've got faith in the new man to get it right given time. If I'm wrong, I'll hold my hand up and admit I was wrong. You can hold me to that, as I know you will! :tu:

You say that it's a completely different scenario, but then earlier in your post, you say we have no money to spend, so surely that's the same scenario?

Have a bit of patience.

Another who seems to think that saying we are doing the exact thing thats kept us in this league is defending/attacking people of preference. Grow up KHod, you know for a fact that anything typed is based on what I am thinking and feeling regardless of how I felt about past managers.

Of course PL needs time and the signings will be judged in the long run (you know I know this, I was the one of the only posters last season saying Brown still had a lot to prove because of his lack starts) but 3x 5k a week for 6 months is about 350k or another punt. It equally could've stayed in the club till summer if that is the long plan, and some of the young lads could've played. Why not Sullivan and Lenihan instead of Ward and Bennet? If that means more Conways, Gestedes and Cairneys in the summer for a few hundred grand - then surely that would make more sense? If we have money (as many predict we've been promised to lure PL) and we are signing these lot? What on earth is going on?

Fans will use this site to discuss their feelings on the team - and I'm afraid that after going 6/7 weeks without a league win I feel pretty @#/? off. Whether its a lack of patience, I don't know - but it wouldn't be half as bad if we hadn't played so poorly to compound it. Then add in some very early but underwhelming signings ( I was under the impression that having a champions league winning manager with international experience may present the opportunity to sign unknown quality cheaply or well respected talents who believed in the manager!) and I feel pretty negative about the situation.

If that is being bias to a previous manager, then you might as well ban my account now pal. Whilst some times it is important to look back, there are a section of posters on this website who seem to want to compare anything said back to previous regimes, and I certainly am not part of it.

• Moderation Lead

Another who seems to think that saying we are doing the exact thing thats kept us in this league is defending/attacking people of preference. Grow up KHod, you know for a fact that anything typed is based on what I am thinking and feeling regardless of how I felt about past managers.

Of course PL needs time and the signings will be judged in the long run (you know I know this, I was the one of the only posters last season saying Brown still had a lot to prove because of his lack starts) but 3x 5k a week for 6 months is about 350k or another punt. It equally could've stayed in the club till summer if that is the long plan, and some of the young lads could've played. Why not Sullivan and Lenihan instead of Ward and Bennet? If that means more Conways, Gestedes and Cairneys in the summer for a few hundred grand - then surely that would make more sense? If we have money (as many predict we've been promised to lure PL) and we are signing these lot? What on earth is going on?

Fans will use this site to discuss their feelings on the team - and I'm afraid that after going 6/7 weeks without a league win I feel pretty @#/? off. Whether its a lack of patience, I don't know - but it wouldn't be half as bad if we hadn't played so poorly to compound it. Then add in some very early but underwhelming signings ( I was under the impression that having a champions league winning manager with international experience may present the opportunity to sign unknown quality cheaply or well respected talents who believed in the manager!) and I feel pretty negative about the situation.

If that is being bias to a previous manager, then you might as well ban my account now pal. Whilst some times it is important to look back, there are a section of posters on this website who seem to want to compare anything said back to previous regimes, and I certainly am not part of it.

It's a good job I know you isn't it? Deary me! In theory, there's nothing wrong with giving the kids a chance, Lenihan has had a run recently, as for O'Sullivan, it would be great to see these lads from the youth team making the grade, but if they aren't ready, they aren't ready. The fact he has gone out on loan again suggest to me that he isn't ready to make the step up yet. After Connor Mahoney's cameo against Man City a couple of years ago I had high hopes for him, but disappointingly, he hasn't made the step up to the first team yet for whatever reason, and judging by the comments of people that watch the youth team/U21s regularly, it doesn't seem like he will be doing so imminently either, though I stand to be corrected where that's concerned.

My guess is that Lambert is trying to fill the dressing room with characters he knows, just speculation on my part I might add.

I too am fed up with the club, and have been for about 6 years.

Yes, and it makes me more fed up to think the rest of this season is a write off!

I completely understand that aspect about getting characters involved, but we've heard the same before - I do trust Lambert but that can always involve questioning. The results matter more than anything - they are simply not good enough at present, and it's depressing to consider we've signed a couple of players who are unlikely to change those results.

I'm more positve about Graham though, considering that there is still a few days left - another addition of this ilk could make the rest of the season more interesting at least. Bennett still has time to make a difference but after watching both halves on Rovers player from Charlton - I'm almost pining for Conway and Marshall on the flanks again, especially with Danny G.

Different scenario. we brought in players after a load of different managers had tried and ultimately failed to put us back in the top flight. Comparing the squads to now and then, the cost and the amount of overpaid dross - it simply had to happen to stop us going even further into debt. Compare that to now, when we already have two decent centrebacks who should start, Lenihan who has proven to be an able deputy and Kilgallon as a fourth number. Spurr himself can play centre back - so unless the unlikely event where Ward surpasses either Duffy and Hanley happens - I cannot see why we would be enamoured with this as anything other than a "numbers" signing. You bring up bias, I am thoroughly sick to death already of this stick used to beat anyone with anything critical to say. We signed plenty of numbers players - Paul Taylor, Spearing etc last season - yet we didn't have an "experienced manager who knew how to get out of this league" therefore expectations are completely different.

It seems that only the oblivious are obsessed with comparing GBs work with now - yet I get dragged into the debate every time I make a post because; "surely you couldn't have that opinion if you said XYZ etc"

Of course, the squad will need a massively upheaval in the summer because of the amount of players who will need either new contracts or replacing - does that mean I cannot say how underwhelmed I am by us signing who we have so far?

No it does not. Comparing how you felt after the 2012/13 season when we'd effectively reached the lowest point of the ebb, with now when we are supposed to be filled with excitement and expectation due to the owners hiring experience for the first time, its chalk and cheese.

The irony - Chris Taylor is at least still a useful member of the squad after 3 seasons, and I cant see any of this crop being here for the same amount of time. I'm wanting to be proved wrong by the way, there is no glory in being write about negative aspects of our club. At the end of the day, I want the same as anyone.

I only compared GB and Paul Lambert because you did the same comparing the Spurr/Gestede signings with the recent ones made by Paul Lambert. Had you not made that point, there would have been no need to compare the signings made. I wasn't referring to a previous point you made, simply to the points outlined in your post. Like yourself, I agree we need to move on from Gary Bowyer. However, it can be useful to compare one manager's work with his predecessor, as it provides context to the job he's doing.

Kilgallon is constantly injured and he seems to favour Lenihan in midfield, which is probably why another centre back was signed. Also, he could have been signed to put pressure on Duffy/Hanley, as they have little competition currently. I also read that he can play at full back, which is helpful. Spurr can play centre back, yes, but with the sale of Olsson looking likely we are desperately short at full back. I feel it's an area we need cover, and I wouldn't be sad to see Elliot Ward start for us - he has pedigree at this level, looks at play it along the floor (hallelujah) and has promotions on his CV.

In 2012/2013 we actually had (some) money though, probably more than we have now. We'd only been out of the Premiership for a year. It was a demoralising time, but GB still had relatively free rein to spend some money.

Given how recently we left the embargo, I imagine we are treading very carefully to avoid being back in it come the summer. Like most clubs, that is when most of the serious business will be conducted. The signings now are just Lambert signing 'safe bets' who he knows what to expect from. I'm sure he is also looking at players to improve the squad, and I hope we sign some more quality in the next week. The recent signings probably aren't intended to be here in 3 years time (as you say) - 3 of them are only contracted until the end of this season! This suggests Lambert wants to look at them first - I don't see what's wrong with this approach, as it takes a lot of risk out of the signings and means they have a point to prove between now and May.

Chris Taylor is a useful squad player, that I agree.

Summer is when we will make better signings (I hope), as that is when clubs stop panic buying and transfer fees are more sensible. In January, teams are rightly sensitive to the fact that they may need the player between then and the end of the season.

Of course you're allowed to be underwhelmed, in the same way other people are allowed to see the positives.

Yes, and it makes me more fed up to think the rest of this season is a write off!

I completely understand that aspect about getting characters involved, but we've heard the same before - I do trust Lambert but that can always involve questioning. The results matter more than anything - they are simply not good enough at present, and it's depressing to consider we've signed a couple of players who are unlikely to change those results.

I'm more positve about Graham though, considering that there is still a few days left - another addition of this ilk could make the rest of the season more interesting at least. Bennett still has time to make a difference but after watching both halves on Rovers player from Charlton - I'm almost pining for Conway and Marshall on the flanks again, especially with Danny G.

I agree on the results - they've only improved very slightly since Bowyer's departure, which has fallen short of my expectations. As for Graham, he could prove pivotal between now and the end of the season.

If Spurr's a centre back my dick's a kipper. Lenihan's a kid playing in a position were experience is probably more important than in any other position. Kilgallon gets injured sat on the bench.

That leaves us with two real centre backs. That's a position were you're always liable to red and yellow cards . We needed another proper centre half. I think we've got one. Let's see how the new guys go on when they're out on the pitch.

Regarding O'Sullivan- go on the Rochdale board. There were fans on there offering to carry him back to Ewood on their shoulders, and that's a Division lower.

I how severe doubts about anyone who thought Alex Morrow was a footballer.

For all the talk of moving on from Bowyer, you're certainly still caught up with him, Jbizzle. To the point where you're comparing the few signings made by Lambert so far with your specially cherry-picked signings of Bowyer's.

Right now we have injury problems in key positions and those are the ones Lambert has addressed. A short loan and a short term contract deal for two forwards. An older CB to replace Kilgallon no doubt, and to provide cover for the moment (as we only have 3 senior CBs). Bennett, a player who has played Prem level recently, has only played a few games and you've already written him off.

What do people not get about our situation? We can't go throwing money around in the hope that it works and end up back in the embargo again. Lambert is playing it smart and I'd rather we bide our time til summer than throw all our eggs in one basket and royally cock it up. As I said, gone are the days where we could chuck £1mill at Marshall and £850k at Evans like Bowyer could. Time to move on and cut our cloth accordingly.

But how overwhelmed were you when we signed Brown and Spurr from Doncaster, Cairney and Evans from Hull reserves or Gestede and Conway from Cardiff reserves? That is exactly where we are at this moment in time and Lambert has said

I answered Arbitro - I made no reference to any of them before him, why I have to explain myself to people is beyond me.

I only compared GB and Paul Lambert because you did the same comparing the Spurr/Gestede signings with the recent ones made by Paul Lambert.

I did not, I said that they arent exactly what I was hoping for. Read up - at least you aren't making personal digs like the one above.

• Backroom

When you admit to enjoying winding folk up its always going to happen, especially when some of the posts read a little like attempts at fishing.

I do agree though the constant comparisons with the last chap have grown tired.

If Spurr's a centre back my dick's a kipper. Lenihan's a kid playing in a position were experience is probably more important than in any other position. Kilgallon gets injured sat on the bench.

That leaves us with two real centre backs. That's a position were you're always liable to red and yellow cards . We needed another proper centre half. I think we've got one. Let's see how the new guys go on when they're out on the pitch.

Regarding O'Sullivan- go on the Rochdale board. There were fans on there offering to carry him back to Ewood on their shoulders, and that's a Division lower.

I how severe doubts about anyone who thought Alex Morrow was a footballer.

Spurr fifth choice behind Hanley, Duffy, Kilgallon and Lenihan - both him Spurr did ok when we had a crisis last season as a recall - cant see why we'd need that position unless the same happened again - thats just how I see it. If he is that bad, it is worrying because he is shortly going to be our only left back unless MO is replaced.

It's not six months since I read rovers fans say they'd "drive Hanley to Turf Moor" themselves, please lets not just go on what other fans think either. I admit sullivan has never looked great, but he has also never had a solid run of games.

Marrow - fair enough!

When you admit to enjoying winding folk up its always going to happen,

When?

When you admit to enjoying winding folk up its always going to happen, especially when some of the posts read a little like attempts at fishing.

I do agree though the constant comparisons with the last chap have grown tired.

I agree on the comparisons part. However, comparisons are always inevitable with the predecessor, as it's an easy way to measure performance/success. However, I agree some of it has been done to death now, and comparisons are unfair so soon into Lambert's reign.

Spurr was pants at CB. More pants than he is in his proper position. Spurr's the kind of player who will do ok for a Championship team with no aspirations but to fight relegation. Put him in League One and he'll be a star. Lenihan did well but the lad is a CM. We needed cover at centre half as hotchpotching our back four every time we have an injury or suspension isn't sensible. Kilgallon is injured far too much and I see no problem with the signing of Ward. Though I do concede I'd sooner see a one and a half year deal than the two and a half years he's been given.

Glad your happy with previous signings. Personally thought that many were very poor acquisitions indeed, much of a muchness and often overloaded in the same positions. For every Gestede we have a myriad of donkeys in our squad suffocating the wage bill and our oxygen, contributing next to nothing on a regular basis. That are totally worthless.

The squad in-balance was extremely stupid and hopefully Lambert now addresses that. The lack of cover at centre - half, managing without a decent right-back and the insistence on developing young keepers all contributed to Bowyer's lousy defensive record.

The only way is up and pleasingly I feel the new 'journeymen' will at least try for 90 minutes. Not too much to ask in my view.

Archived