BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton Away 23.1.2015

Charlton also had claims for three pens during the game. The ref was poor for both sides. Until we start playing football instead of the constant aimless long ball we are going to struggle. Graham, like Rhodes, needs proper service. We badly need someone in the centre of the park who is capable of passing the ball!

Welcome back Pb, good to see you posting again.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree about Akpan. I think our less knowledgeable fans expect him to be the complete player, given his physique if he could pass and score goals consistently he'd be playing a lot higher than this league. Feel he just needs a talisman along side him so he can just focus on doing the simple things well, something which suits him.

Charlton also had claims for three pens during the game. The ref was poor for both sides. Until we start playing football instead of the constant aimless long ball we are going to struggle. Graham, like Rhodes, needs proper service. We badly need someone in the centre of the park who is capable of passing the ball!

Good evening PB. Nice to see you back. Got a tad excited when I saw your name for an in-depth report! Be good to hear your views on the team and new players.

Yes, good to see you back on the m/b Parson.

Without wanting to derail the thread topic too much, given you were one of GB'S staunchest supporters, I'd be interested to hear your overall views on GB'S sacking and PL'S appointment. I must say the players have done their best to make their old boss look better Imo.

Taylor being discussed above, lad is an honest player but I think we all need to start being brutally honest about our players... He should be gone in the summer, nowhere near the required standard. Despite if promotion is a realistic possibility for a club in this league is beside the point, you should be recruiting players that can potentially get you out of this league not just 'do a job'.

Being brutally honest Taylor, Brown, Lawrence, Kilgallon, Steele, Delfuenso, Guthrie, Petshi, Eastwood should all be let go in the summer and even players like Conway, Spurr, Evans, Akpan, Lowe are only good enough to be considered squad players if you want to be promoted. I'd let Henley, Raya and Koita go out on loan and try and sell Marshall to these clubs who seem to rate him for as much as we can to put some funds in the coffers for new faces. Try and get in 2-3 proven quality players, maybe take a chance from someone in the lower leagues and bring some of lads from the youth set up into the first team squad.

Massive changes are needed and I'm sure Lambert will know that looking at our league position and performances. It would be easy to just blame the manager at this point but remind yourself that the only person at Rovers who is proven at this level is Paul Lambert.

The players simply aren't good enough and with the exception of Rhodes and maybe the centre halves the rest are barely good enough to be squad players.

EXODUS NEEDED.

PLBWA

Very good post. I said earlier in the week that I'd only be looking to keep Raya, Hanley, Duffy, Akpan, Conway and Rhodes but if you were being brutally honest I think you could say that only Hanley and Rhodes are good or consistent enough for a team that is going to deliver automatic promotion.

I thought this squad would find another gear under a more experienced manager who was a slightly harder taskmaster but by and large they've failed to deliver.

Graham did look rusty. He is not quick. Nor tall. Bit of a physical presence but mostly over his career a goal scorer. I thought Jackson looked really sharp when he came on. And Bennett a huge improvement over Taylor. And even some link play going forward with Henley. If Lambert longer term will go for quicker, mobile players like these, added to a creative mid fielder and a proper number 10, then the future bodes well. There is some of Dortmund in PL.

Taylor being discussed above, lad is an honest player but I think we all need to start being brutally honest about our players... He should be gone in the summer, nowhere near the required standard. Despite if promotion is a realistic possibility for a club in this league is beside the point, you should be recruiting players that can potentially get you out of this league not just 'do a job'.

Being brutally honest Taylor, Brown, Lawrence, Kilgallon, Steele, Delfuenso, Guthrie, Petshi, Eastwood should all be let go in the summer and even players like Conway, Spurr, Evans, Akpan, Lowe are only good enough to be considered squad players if you want to be promoted. I'd let Henley, Raya and Koita go out on loan and try and sell Marshall to these clubs who seem to rate him for as much as we can to put some funds in the coffers for new faces. Try and get in 2-3 proven quality players, maybe take a chance from someone in the lower leagues and bring some of lads from the youth set up into the first team squad.

Massive changes are needed and I'm sure Lambert will know that looking at our league position and performances. It would be easy to just blame the manager at this point but remind yourself that the only person at Rovers who is proven at this level is Paul Lambert.

The players simply aren't good enough and with the exception of Rhodes and maybe the centre halves the rest are barely good enough to be squad players.

EXODUS NEEDED.

PLBWA

I think it's a fallacy that Marshall is highly rated by other clubs. I think he's looked good at right back in patches but other than that I can count the good games he's had for Rovers on one hand.

Welcome back Parson, good to have you on board again.

For a ten minute spell after half time we were terrific, moving the ball quickly and with more intensity than we have for some time. Graham gave us something different and some of his hold up play and flick ons gave us optimism. I thought it was the best all round performance under Lambert but there is more to come I believe. A special word for Jackson from me who was really good for the time he was on. Again it was a different option and both him and Graham linked up quite well with Rhodes.

Whilst I was unhappy with the result the performance overall pleased me.

I thought this squad would find another gear under a more experienced manager who was a slightly harder taskmaster but by and large they've failed to deliver.

To be honest - I think Lambert and the new coaching team have to take some of the blame - we play far more long ball under him and the players aren't suited to this style of play. If he had played the higher tempo football he wants to - but played a little more on the ground I think we would have seen an improvement with this squad. It has to be a big disappointment so far that Lambert hasn't really improved our play - if anything we have gone backwards. Gotta keep hoping that the old adage about breaking a few eggs to make an omelette will apply later this season and into next.

Oh right I thought you had watched the match as you said we didn't get a definite penalty

Still ducking the posts Chaddy ?

Did you watch a live stream or did you do what you slate others for ...commenting on something you did not see .

100%.

And we have done for about 3 or 4 years. Although Judge, Cairney or even Marshall could have done that if they had a real enforcer alongside them. Who would the last one have been? N'Zonzi?

He needs time, clearly, but worrying Graham ok on debut but looked unfit and rusty, as expected.

Not sure why. He played large spells of Sunderlands last 6 matches, starting in 3 of them. it is not like he has been rotting on the bench or in the reserves for months.

Highlights.

Perhaps to offer a brief example of what Evans 'does', see at 0:50. Akpan loses it, Taylor's committed further forward, so no Rover to back him up it seems... ah, Evans jumps in to pass it back to Akpan, who slots it to Henley for the cross that got the goal.

(Probably the one moment of the game where Taylor-Henley seemed to combine rather well!)

I think the problem is if Evans is playing the DM role, which I think he does rather effectively (if anonymously at times!), then we need Akpan playing further up (which is working in this highlight). But Akpan's also a physical, determined ball-winner who sometimes gets stuck further back, leaving nobody to pass to when we win the ball back. So, perhaps that's where Evans needs to get more assertive, leaving Akpan further up. Alternatively, they could switch it with Evans further up as he can be pretty tidy with the ball, if not having the physical presence of Akpan if we're doing long balls... I think they're both decent Championship players, but it may be a matter of trying to fit square pegs into round holes!

Highlights.

Perhaps to offer a brief example of what Evans 'does', see at 0:50. Akpan loses it, Taylor's committed further forward, so no Rover to back him up it seems... ah, Evans jumps in to pass it back to Akpan, who slots it to Henley for the cross that got the goal.

(Probably the one moment of the game where Taylor-Henley seemed to combine rather well!)

I think the problem is if Evans is playing the DM role, which I think he does rather effectively (if anonymously at times!), then we need Akpan playing further up (which is working in this highlight). But Akpan's also a physical, determined ball-winner who sometimes gets stuck further back, leaving nobody to pass to when we win the ball back. So, perhaps that's where Evans needs to get more assertive, leaving Akpan further up. Alternatively, they could switch it with Evans further up as he can be pretty tidy with the ball, if not having the physical presence of Akpan if we're doing long balls... I think they're both decent Championship players, but it may be a matter of trying to fit square pegs into round holes!

I'm not being funny but any player who plays professional football should be able to 'do' that. It's the most basic task ever. Lowey could probably do that.

For another example of what Evans does, watch that suicidal cross penalty box header against Burnley again.

Flip side of that was that most anti-Bowyer fans said it was a mistake to bring him back and that he wasn't good enough.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing - at the time he was here he didn't do much when he had game time and to be honest other players looked far better in his position.

It isn't one I would blame Bowyer for one way or the other.

I would. I rated Rochina whilst he was here but like any player with flair he was reviled on here. Rovers supporters generally do not appreciate skill.. I believe that Bryan Douglas would not be appreciated by the current supporters.

I would. I rated Rochina whilst he was here but like any player with flair he was reviled on here. Rovers supporters generally do not appreciate skill.. I believe that Bryan Douglas would not be appreciated by the current supporters.

Yup, I remember saying at the time that we should've kept either Judge or Rochina as the logical successor for Dunn. Then Bowyer ditched them both.

Trouble with Rochina was he really didn't want to be here. I have that on good authority.

He hardly ever performed to his real potential.

Judge looked poor, whenever I saw him.

The only thing I'll concede with Judge is, I wonder if he was given enough opportunities and utilised properly.

I'm bewildered at his current form and price tag. He looked nowhere near in 2 spells at Brfc.

On yesterday. The penalty looked nailed on.

Encouraging to hear that Jackson looked lively as an impact sub.

I'm not being funny but any player who plays professional football should be able to 'do' that. It's the most basic task ever. Lowey could probably do that.

For another example of what Evans does, watch that suicidal cross penalty box header against Burnley again.

Obviously. My point, and discussion, was regarding utilisation.

Trouble with Rochina was he really didn't want to be here. I have that on good authority.

He hardly ever performed to his real potential.

Judge looked poor, whenever I saw him.

The only thing I'll concede with Judge is, I wonder if he was given enough opportunities and utilised properly.

I'm bewildered at his current form and price tag. He looked nowhere near in 2 spells at Brfc.

If Rochina reached his potential, he'd be playing for Real Madrid.

In 12/13, he scored 5 goals & made 3 assists in 18 apps. So people can keep referring to him as just a showpony, but the stats tell a somewhat different story. Admittedly, at times there couldn't have been a more frustrating player to watch, but he did have quality and a more adventurous manager would've stuck with him.

Archived