BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Will Cheston Respond ?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chesterton well and truly on the blacklist. Two quick points:

1 They interviewed Adkins and appointed Coyle???? A man who had got 2 clubs promoted, and worked on a shoe-string at Scunthorpe? If success was a criteria or experience was then surely Adkins is much better.

2 The only case put forward is Coyle is great because he got players in quickly. Talk about damning with faint praise. Any manager could have done that. The bar is set so low it's untrue.

Oh number 3 Chesterton does himself no favours trying to make the Irvine thing look ok. If this version of events is true then it can't have been a search criteria as 1 Irvine said he might go and 2 Irvine said he'd leave if the manager wanted his own staff. In other words this totally invalidates it as a selection criteria showing it was only put up as one to make Coyle look ok.

Chesterton well and truly on the blacklist. Two quick points:

1 They interviewed Adkins and appointed Coyle???? A man who had got 2 clubs promoted, and worked on a shoe-string at Scunthorpe? If success was a criteria or experience was then surely Adkins is much better.

2 The only case put forward is Coyle is great because he got players in quickly. Talk about damning with faint praise. Any manager could have done that. The bar is set so low it's untrue.

Oh number 3 Chesterton does himself no favours trying to make the Irvine thing look ok. If this version of events is true then it can't have been a search criteria as 1 Irvine said he might go and 2 Irvine said he'd leave if the manager wanted his own staff. In other words this totally invalidates it as a selection criteria showing it was only put up as one to make Coyle look ok.

Adkins just guided Sheff Utd to their worst league position in 33 years(acc to wiki) and was promptly sacked at the end of last season. Reading fired him off pretty quickly too. He's got one promotion from the Championship, the same as Coyle and Lambert. They are all (Coyle, Lambert, Adkins) much of a muchness, all living off past glories. They were all free too, which is why they were interviewed/appointed in the first place (as Cheston admits in the interview). Cheapest is best for Venkies.

Cheston:

'We did say to managers in interviews that we did want them to work with the incoming team. We wanted to avoid compensation to outgoing managers and compensation to clubs to get whoever the manager might want to bring in as part of his team. That was one of our criteria'

So that confirms it then. The club was trying to keep Irvine and Kelly not because they are fantastic, indispensable coaches, but because they didn't want to pay compensation to bring in new staff. No wonder then that the calibre of applicants was so low. No proven successful manager would apply for a job with a shoestring budget where he can't even bring in his own staff because the club is too tight-fisted to pay off the previous managers team.

Cheston doesn't seem aware that by forcing Lambert's staff upon the new manager he could have limited the calibre of applicants or the new managers ability to work with people he knows and trusts. But at least we've saved a few quid so the money men are happy.

This is the problem having an accountant with no experience of running a football club making decisions on managers, and we desperately need some sort of sporting director running the football side of the operation. Someone who appreciates the need to identify the right manager for the club, whoever that might be, and then have faith in that man and back his decisions. If that man wants to clear out all the old staff and bring in his own then let him - he's the manager, he should be in charge of coaching appointments.

My issue with this article is that he says signing Graham was good, and I agree with him there, but then says others have caused excitement. Who out of Feeney, Byrne, Stokes and Hendre is causing excitement? They must be on very low wages which excites Cheston miserly spirit.

Cheston:

'We did say to managers in interviews that we did want them to work with the incoming team. We wanted to avoid compensation to outgoing managers and compensation to clubs to get whoever the manager might want to bring in as part of his team. That was one of our criteria'

So that confirms it then. The club was trying to keep Irvine and Kelly not because they are fantastic, indispensable coaches, but because they didn't want to pay compensation to bring in new staff. No wonder then that the calibre of applicants was so low. No proven successful manager would apply for a job with a shoestring budget where he can't even bring in his own staff because the club is too tight-fisted to pay off the previous managers team.

Cheston doesn't seem aware that by forcing Lambert's staff upon the new manager he could have limited the calibre of applicants or the new managers ability to work with people he knows and trusts. But at least we've saved a few quid so the money men are happy.

This is the problem having an accountant with no experience of running a football club making decisions on managers, and we desperately need some sort of sporting director running the football side of the operation. Someone who appreciates the need to identify the right manager for the club, whoever that might be, and then have faith in that man and back his decisions. If that man wants to clear out all the old staff and bring in his own then let him - he's the manager, he should be in charge of coaching appointments.

Agreed. Under the circumstances, it's a miracle we're still in the Championship. The miracle won't last much longer in my opinion.

I wrote twice to Cheston recently. The first letter got a reply from one of his minions. It was brief and patronising and I wrote back saying so. The second reply was signed by Cheston himself and ran to two pages. It came out with all the same guff that we hear from his other interviews with the LT and gave me no comfort that things are going to improve any time soon. This guy has his head well and truly in the Venkys sand (quicksand some would say) and is singularly unable (or unwilling|) to face key issues raised by fans.

My issue with this article is that he says signing Graham was good, and I agree with him there, but then says others have caused excitement. Who out of Feeney, Byrne, Stokes and Hendre is causing excitement? They must be on very low wages which excites Cheston miserly spirit.

Byrne and Stokes caused a raised outbrow of intrigue in my house.

He's way out of his depth just like everyone else they've over promoted. They like to keep staff moving to cover up their con job so his head will roll sooner or later or more likely if he's any sense he'll get out of dodge as soon as he finds another opportunity.

My guess is he'll be lucky to see 18 months in that role, then the secretary will move up as the dumbing it down one by one continues.

He's way out of his depth just like everyone else they've over promoted. They like to keep staff moving to cover up their con job so his head will roll sooner or later or more likely if he's any sense he'll get out of dodge as soon as he finds another opportunity.

My guess is he'll be lucky to see 18 months in that role, then the secretary will move up as the dumbing it down one by one continues.

Other clubs must be sitting up and taking notice by now at our pioneering way of running a professional football club. Cheston must be brilliant if he can cover the responsibilities of CEO, MD, Finance Director, Commercial Director and Communications Director all at once, neatly combining all those roles into one, simple 'Director' position.

Man Utd could sack off Woodward and all the rest of them and just appoint Cheston as 'Director' on a much smaller salary, and he can run the club perfectly well on his own.

Like I said I think he'll find his position untenable in the near future unless OC pulls off a good season to paper e everything over which I think they are praying for. He's already tripped himself up several times but like GB all of a sudden you've got someone speaking to the media on behalf of a big football club to tens of thousands and he's no experience to fall back on in that regard.

Add in they don't know what those running the show will do from one day to the next it's a tough old job. His real remit will just be to crunch the numbers as we've seen but even that can get contradicted at every turn with Venkys !

Adkins just guided Sheff Utd to their worst league position in 33 years(acc to wiki) and was promptly sacked at the end of last season. Reading fired him off pretty quickly too. He's got one promotion from the Championship, the same as Coyle and Lambert. They are all (Coyle, Lambert, Adkins) much of a muchness, all living off past glories. They were all free too, which is why they were interviewed/appointed in the first place (as Cheston admits in the interview). Cheapest is best for Venkies.

Very positive towards Coyle that statement.

Lambert had achieved promotion with Norwich from league 1 and Adkins likewise with Scunthorpe which are 2 more promotions than Coyle. Also for both their success is more recent than Coyle.

I also think you could argue for both Lambert and Askins - certainly in sheff utds case - that the clubs have been a graveyard for managers. I probably wouldn't use that argument with PL and Villa but no one seems to sort out Sheff Utd. Plus neither have 3 consecutive failures.

Neither maybe the next Jose or Pep but they both are certainly better than coyle.

Edit - that's before we even consider SEM links...

Welcome to North Korea. Greg Coar yesterday, and now the cringeworthy Cheston with embarrassing propaganda.

Yep.

Unfortunately he needs to STFU if he's going to talk this tripe.

The next year or two will prove if Coyle was right for Blackburn Rovers. Not because we have got someone because he's cheap (now confirmed) but by judging results on the pitch.

The statement about signings causing excitement is laughable in the face of the season ticket figures. The only positive is Graham, and whilst OC deserves credit for getting that through, most f the credit is Lamberts for getting him here in the first place, getting him performing and making him want to play for Blackburn Rovers.

The 'interview' is just panicky desperation in trying to drum up interest in the club that he realises is drifting away.

The next year or two will prove if Coyle was right for Blackburn Rovers.

He will never sit well with Rovers fans, not just for his Dingle links, but for his managerial record. I think the fans could stomach the appointment better if he had a record to be proud of since leaving the Clarrots.

It really doesn't matter how well Coyle does. He will always have that Allardyce effect. If he does well, at best, he will divide opinion. You'd normally say that this appointment won't last one way or the other, but... We know how loyal our owners are to some.

Archived