BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mural Outside Ewood

J*B

Regardless of whether people donated or didn't we are all, hopefully, Rovers fans on here so could we have a simple poll?

As I said I'm quite happy for the current design to be the one if most fans think it does what we want

If, however, the majority said 'No' then we don't want a design painting up that attracts negativity from the wider fan base.

Referring to Gavs post above, I also agree that we should either get on with it or understand why we are holding off (for a different design would be the only reason to me).

If we are having a public poll it needs to happen quickly. If we can get another design quickly and Gav is happy to front it there can be a vote over the weekend. As long as the artist knows what he's painting on Monday morning it's still open to change.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we are having a public poll it needs to happen quickly. If we can get another design quickly and Gav is happy to front it there can be a vote over the weekend. As long as the artist knows what he's painting on Monday morning it's still open to change.

Not sure how long it takes to set up a poll on here but it seems like good timing as site traffic must be high on a match day Saturday so a good number of members will hopefully vote.

If the painting is due to start on Monday then it's the last chance saloon for any change to happen and if the poll was affirmative for the current design then it would be good for the artist to know he had the backing of a majority when he dips his brush in the paint.

Not sure how long it takes to set up a poll on here but it seems like good timing as site traffic must be high on a match day Saturday so a good number of members will hopefully vote.

If the painting is due to start on Monday then it's the last chance saloon for any change to happen and if the poll was affirmative for the current design then it would be good for the artist to know he had the backing of a majority when he dips his brush in the paint.

As it stands, nobody has joined the group mentioned and made any other suggestions.

The current painting has been sent by the artist as his preferred, agreed on the group, sent to national media who have agreed to cover the design and people are confident it won't be removed/forcefully removed for being distasteful.

It can also be repainted at a later date, as above.

Again, I urge anyone who would prefer another option to get in touch before 12 noon tomorrow.

In the UK, however, there is no standalone right of personality by which a celebrity can protect his likeness. Instead, unauthorised use of that person’s image must be challenged under other existing regimes such as passing off, trade mark infringement, data protection, advertising regulations or breach of confidence.

http://uk.practicallaw.com/8-521-4902

I honestly don't see what grounds the Raos would have for tearing down a mural that contained their likeness. It would not be breaching any confidentiality, trademark, or privacy laws.This would just be an artistic depiction of three people who just so happened to resemble our present owners. ^_^

As it stands, nobody has joined the group mentioned and made any other suggestions.

The current painting has been sent by the artist as his preferred, agreed on the group, sent to national media who have agreed to cover the design and people are confident it won't be removed/forcefully removed for being distasteful.

It can also be repainted at a later date, as above.

Again, I urge anyone who would prefer another option to get in touch before 12 noon tomorrow.

J*B you've done far more on this than I have. In fact all I've done is click to give a few quid and that's it.

But since when did an artist tell the customer what the preferred design is? We were told there would be at least two to choose from.

I get the whole 'legal problems / defamation' worries too but at the time that the donations were flying in there wasn't much mention of 'let's make it tasteful and not offend anyone'.

Again, I'm not advocating that we paint anything that gets anyone into hot water but the current design, to me, looks like a Rovers epitaph rather than a fight for justice.

J*B you've done far more on this than I have. In fact all I've done is click to give a few quid and that's it.

But since when did an artist tell the customer what the preferred design is? We were told there would be at least two to choose from.

I get the whole 'legal problems / defamation' worries too but at the time that the donations were flying in there wasn't much mention of 'let's make it tasteful and not offend anyone'.

Again, I'm not advocating that we paint anything that gets anyone into hot water but the current design, to me, looks like a Rovers epitaph rather than a fight for justice.

All he has suggested is what in his opinion will stand out, look good and be effective.

I didn't set up the page so I couldn't be sure what it said - although I believe it was for "a Venkys out themed mural near Ewood"?

I keep saying it, but time is ticking. If anyone has any serious design ideas get them over ASAP.

In the UK, however, there is no standalone right of personality by which a celebrity can protect his likeness. Instead, unauthorised use of that persons image must be challenged under other existing regimes such as passing off, trade mark infringement, data protection, advertising regulations or breach of confidence.

http://uk.practicallaw.com/8-521-4902

I honestly don't see what grounds the Raos would have for tearing down a mural that contained their likeness. It would not be breaching any confidentiality, trademark, or privacy laws.This would just be an artistic depiction of three people who just so happened to resemble our present owners. ^_^

Replied on PM.

All he has suggested is what in his opinion will stand out, look good and be effective.

I didn't set up the page so I couldn't be sure what it said - although I believe it was for "a Venkys out themed mural near Ewood"?

I keep saying it, but time is ticking. If anyone has any serious design ideas get them over ASAP.

Unfortunately you won't get any designs from me!

Graphic design / art has never been my thing. I thought that we had raised hundreds of pounds for someone to come along, give us a few options and paint the one we thought was best.

It looks like we've been given a choice of one and work starts Monday.

Unfortunately you won't get any designs from me!

Graphic design / art has never been my thing. I thought that we had raised hundreds of pounds for someone to come along, give us a few options and paint the one we thought was best.

It looks like we've been given a choice of one and work starts Monday.

Message from the artist:

Hi everyone, it's Paul from Graffia, I've had a read thru and if you guys would like to change/alter the design please send your ideas thru and I'd be more than willing to provide an alternative. This is a very important piece of art and needs to be right for your group, so I will help in any way I can.

How big is the wall? End of a terraced house?

Is it in a prominent position for passing cars, and if so at 30mph are you likely to see it for a second, or a few seconds?

The smaller or less time passing traffic will be able to view the mural, the simpler the design needs to be in my opinion.

Personally I'd be happy with a blue n white background with Venkys out prominent, but I also think the burning / apoplectic theme has merit too.

I'd happily contribute for a permanent JW mural in its place once we have venkys out.

How big is the wall? End of a terraced house?

Is it in a prominent position for passing cars, and if so at 30mph are you likely to see it for a second, or a few seconds?

The smaller or less time passing traffic will be able to view the mural, the simpler the design needs to be in my opinion.

Personally I'd be happy with a blue n white background with Venkys out prominent, but I also think the burning / apoplectic theme has merit too.

I'd happily contribute for a permanent JW mural in its place once we have venkys out.

Big wall. Bigger than terraced house. In a good position for passing cars although will be seconds rather than 10s of seconds. Much better for walking on match day.

Cant do graphics but....

Take Jack out of the original. Not sure how the stadium will show up, so maybe swap it with a generic blue and white halved kit background (possibly the famous Garner knee slide celebration picture as a base?), no badge etc to avoid copyright.

Have 'Made in Blackburn 1875' up the left hand gutter, and 'ruined in India' down the right.

'We want Venkys Out' prominent in the middle.

Dont mind the wilted rose.

The venksout.com website url smaller but still on there, as well as #venkysout

Perthblue is probably the man for the base image to be honest.

Even if we can't use it, any chance of seeing the image of the Roas behind bars. It sounds perfect.

Don't see how it could be deemed illegal or unlawful. How did Spitting Image get away with it for so many years if it was not legal to use people's charicatures or images?

I've only seen 2 designs, is the first image a few pages back in this topic the preferred choice to date?

No idea, i'm happy to leave the design to the real workers, the guys that have put the work in.

Just lets not worry about being sued, they've not the brains or the brawn to make anything stick

This has been one tough cookie to co-ordinate.

From trying to raise funds, find artist, get designs, get feedback , get permissions, hold meetings with designer.

It's also been a race against the clock , with so many wanting it painted come the Wolves fixture, even though others are happy to wait a little longer.

A lot of work gone on behind the scenes , with many people getting involved.

I'd like to thank everyone who has donated , offered support, ideas and comments to make this mural a reality .

Special mention to Perthblue who has helped fine tune designs , Josh/Pete who have liaised with the artist after my initial meeting with him.

Dawn for giving valuable input and also getting the written permission from the location.

This is a small piece to a bigger jigsaw and attention moves very quickly to the Indian Advert once this is finally done.

Press release will be out later in week as will invites to local and SKY TV .

Thank you to everyone who has supported this venture

I donated and agree with earlier posts about avoiding making it look like we just want another Jack Walker. I think it should be more about a then 136 year old institution being dismantled.

A lot of fans from other clubs are jealous of Jack. We don't want it to look like we are spoilt brats.

How about a side view..

an army of rovers supporters stood in front of the stadium. Front row of fans with blue n white shields.Jack at the front.

Face to face with him are the 3 Raos behind them their group of construction workers with diggers and wrecking balls.

Underneath something like United We Stand - Venkys out

#Stopthedestruction

Let's be practical, we are not going to make everyone happy.

The whole concept was based on an idea of making a statement. Personally I like the subtlety of the design as it makes people reflect, rather than just having a logo on. The side of the building telling you what to think. The image will stir memories and provoke thought... that makes it a good design for me.

One poster said that we shouldn't let the designer tell the customer what to do. True, but the whole point of employing an artist is to get someone who is better than 99% of us with graphic design pacakges. Furthermore, it's their job... so they know what they are doing usually.

I know the donation made never had any intention of supporting something liableous. I think this picture hits that brief.

If protesting doesn't make a difference then what does?

Obviously grumbling on here doesn't help either. Protesting is at least viable and visible as well as cathartic.

Which brings me to a question. Has anyone read Blue Eyed Boy recently?

That individual has some serious issues. A week cannot go by without him sticking the knife into any dissent towards the alarming downward spiral this club has been on since 2010. It's as if he want to be the martyrdom poster boy for all shortsighted Rovers fans.

It's as if he thinks that having people sat in their seats (most likely sat on their hands if not asleep) from 0-18 and 75-90 is somehow going to eradicate the past, cure the present and propel us towards some halcyon future where the club has competent team management as well as a competent executive management structure armed with a remit to run the club without reference to Pune for everything from tea bags to number of breaths per second per employee.

Anyway. Onwards and downwards. Pip Pip

Meadows. Blue eyed boy. He who shall not be named on twitter. All the same person. It's all out in the open now.

Archived