BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next Manager

Will the cost cutting ever stop Den? Once you go down a division your revenue decreases again so you have to cut more.

So you sell your players on higher wages, you replace them with cheaper , then you're looking at the next relegation and so on.

In the end you have 11 amateurs taking the field at Pleasington with their families watching.

Their only hope of getting anything much back died with Lambert's leaving which was all about failure to invest or, if you like, cutting back.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If and this is a big if, we had decent owners with just a modicum of ambition and a management structure that any business requires and given the circumstances we find ourselves in.  Then I would not be too disappointed to see Souness return on a short term basis til the end of the season and have someone work under him with a view to the long term.  That way we could posssibly avoid relegation because he wouldn't half kick Ar$e.

However in the real world???  Venkys out!

Just now, 47er said:

Will the cost cutting ever stop Den? Once you go down a division your revenue decreases again so you have to cut more.

So you sell your players on higher wages, you replace them with cheaper , then you're looking at the next relegation and so on.

In the end you have 11 amateurs taking the field at Pleasington with their families watching.

Their only hope of getting anything much back died with Lambert's leaving which was all about failure to invest or, if you like, cutting back.

Do we know how much Lambert wanted? I have heard 20 million. Frankly that wouldn't work within FFP. In fact spending that and failing to go up would leave us in a very bad position. 

We have a decent squad. A good manager would get us higher than we are now. I am not convinced Lambert was the man. Case in point how he is doing at Wolves. 

Just now, 4000Holes said:

If and this is a big if, we had decent owners with just a modicum of ambition and a management structure that any business requires and given the circumstances we find ourselves in.  Then I would not be too disappointed to see Souness return on a short term basis til the end of the season and have someone work under him with a view to the long term.  That way we could posssibly avoid relegation because he wouldn't half kick Ar$e.

However in the real world???  Venkys out!

Souness was a pundit on Irish TV last night and the presenter mentioned Coyle leaving "his old club" and asked if he was interested. Souness said he is too old for the stresses of management. I don't believe we will see him back in management. I think he enjoys the punditry. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Do we know how much Lambert wanted? I have heard 20 million. Frankly that wouldn't work within FFP. In fact spending that and failing to go up would leave us in a very bad position. 

We have a decent squad. A good manager would get us higher than we are now. I am not convinced Lambert was the man. Case in point how he is doing at Wolves. 

We don't have a decent squad at all, its full of underachieving dross and people making that case are deluded, with respect.

Paul Lambert was our last hope, but he never left because they wouldn't fund him alone, he left because he wasn't communicated with, not even an email, text message or carrier pigeon regarding players contracts.

The money story was leaked by the club to help appease the fans.

Time to stop with the FFP excuse. If these owners had £20 million to invest, wanted to invest it and were determined to avoid sanctions then they could do it no problem. Especially after selling Rhodes, Gestede and co to cover previous losses.

Brighton recently posted losses of almost £30 million for the last 12 months and yet haven't been sanctioned. Sheffield Wednesday have spent fortunes yet avoided trouble with embargoes. Not to mention Derby and Wolves (recently spent £13 million on one player).

FFP is a convenient excuse to justify continued cost cutting and non-investment.

Just now, 47er said:

The way the clubs being run down 47er - which I think is the right description, we certainly aren't at the bottom yet.

on the other hand, we, or I personally have always asked the club for honesty. Well to be fair to Cheston, that's exactly what he's been. At least we know that the downward spiral doesn't end here, unless we get extremely lucky with the next manager - and he gets extremely lucky in the transfer market. Not often that happens, usually the reverse happens. 

So Chestons being honest, thanks for that. We know what their ambitions are. We know the likely route we're heading. That doesn't mean we accept it. The owners DO have resources to at least hold the club at this level and try to stabilise things, but they apparently choose not to. Nor does Chestons honesty conceal exactly why we are at this point. My anger is still there and unless there are real attempts to at least, halt the rapid decline, it will only get worse. The majority will think that way as well.

Just now, Gav said:

We don't have a decent squad at all, its full of underachieving dross and people making that case are deluded, with respect.

Paul Lambert was our last hope, but he never left because they wouldn't fund him alone, he left because he wasn't communicated with, not even an email about players contracts. The money story was leaked by the club to help appease the fans.

Underachievement can be fixed. No? 

Hopefully Senior has been brought in to improve the communication. 

We had a director of communication Alan myers... 

senior isn't here for the good of the club 

Not with this bunch of mercenaries no, look at their careers so far, its hard to make a case really.

As for communication/Senoir = improved communication? :lol: come off it man, its been atrocious from 7yrs and will never improve.

Just now, Gav said:

Not with this bunch of mercenaries no, look at their careers so far, its hard to make a case really.

As for communication/Senoir = improved communication? :lol: come off it man, its been atrocious from 7yrs and will never improve.

Correct, it is easy to communicate,

unless you have something to hide

Improve communication ?

Doubt it i think he's here like an unofficial administrator or something you only have to go back and read/listen to some of the stuff he's dropped into his interviews.

If and it's a massive if they get this next managerial appointment right then there might be a sign he's here to sort stuff out but for all we know this is actually another cost cutting exercise with Coyle bailing damage limitation style before the crap really hits the fan.

There's been a massive gear change recently to stick everything at Venkys door by people who've previously either been told to ignore it or mildy defend them. All this is being done for a reason, something is around the corner that's been brewing for 18 months now and i can't see it being the rebirth of the club !

Me too. I'd be content with someone like Adkins or Jackett, who surely wouldn't cost much to recruit and want a job.

I just worry that there's something else going on here. Waking up to see the Telegraph plastered with Cheston's comments about cost cutting has got me worried. I don't think the timing is coincidental and I think its been deliberately planted ahead of a low cost managerial appointment who will almost certainly finish us off.

Hope im wrong.

I was surprised. Hence why I asked if we could put one up here. 

i like Sherwood, but he aint no manager we can take a risk on right now. Fact is, its Adkins, Jackett, Hill etc we need to go for. They are the ones who will be much more capable should we go down to league 1, who will stick around and get us back up. Sherwood will not want to be down in league 1, and will probably leave, and we would be back to looking for another manager. 

Glaring deficiencies in that squad at keeper, centre-back and mid-field. A good manager would keep us up though.

Is there a way to put a poll on this thread? I saw one on twitter last night. 188 people voted between Adkins and Sherwood,with Sherwood getting 60% 

But, realistically, what's the purpose of having a poll on who we'd like as the next manager, Bigdoggsteel?  It's hardly as if our owners, or their lackeys in England, would look at it and say, "Ok, folk; if that's who the majority of you on the Message Board want as manager - here he is!"

Just now, m1st said:

But, realistically, what's the purpose of having a poll on who we'd like as the next manager, Bigdoggsteel?  It's hardly as if our owners, or their lackeys in England, would look at it and say, "Ok, folk; if that's who the majority of you on the Message Board want as manager - here he is!"

So that we would know who the majority of fans on here would like? 

Archived