BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manager For Next Season

37 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Good post Mercer I'm tending towards this point of view myself.

That said Mowbray's results seem to be mirroring those of Lambert's. Very good start but extremely disappointing and very flat from the players thereafter. Maybe it's just nigh on impossible these days to get a proper reaction for more than a few games from a set of players who aren't your own.

Given the urgency and short term nature of our situation since Mowbray took over I'd have expected him to keep them more focused and motivated until the end of the season than they were yesterday though.

Or maybe they initial promises they were made and lines fed to take the job were found out to be false? You could well imagine the conversations about player contracts and scouting of new players. Then going home to their wives:

Lambert: "It's Villa all over again"

Mowbray: "This lot are another Coventry"

Just now, Stuart said:

Or maybe they initial promises they were made and lines fed to take the job were found out to be false? You could well imagine the conversations about player contracts and scouting of new players. Then going home to their wives:

Lambert: "It's Villa all over again"

Mowbray: "This lot are another Coventry"

Mowbray had that look in the consultation the other week apparently. First time he got a turn of the other side and looked as if he knew he's been lied to about the club etc

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Mowbray had that look in the consultation the other week apparently. First time he got a turn of the other side and looked as if he knew he's been lied to about the club etc

I like the bloke but it's hard to have much sympathy. Anyone who walks into this gaff without knowing how Venkys operate hasn't been paying attention or just needs a job.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

I believe Bennett, Stokes, Feeney, Raya, Ward and Evans are still under contract.  Together with some of the other youngsters like Travis, Tomlinson, Wharton, Platt, Doyle, Fisher etc. we could have, on paper at least, the basis of a decent League One squad if we can add to it with one or two of decent quality.  I believe keeping Mowbray will be key to any hope of a revival next season.  The fact that it's taken a club like Sheffield United six years or so to get back suggests that next season is going to be far from easy.

Thanks for that Parson. I can honestly say there isn't one senior player I wouldn't be happy to show the door to.

The youngsters basically have to be the way forward I think with maybe one or two John McNamee types thrown in and although den might not agree one or two proven performers at that level

Above all they have to have the stomach and appetite for the fight which will entail at the very least building a team of our own players as opposed to loanees. 

Just now, JHRover said:

I expect there's be lots of talk about us 'doing a Bolton' next season and the club will use the example of a local rival dropping into League One and bouncing back immediately without spending any money as their 'blueprint' for Rovers in an attempt to shift season tickets.

Unfortunately the chances of us 'doing a Bolton' are extremely slim. Our path is more likely to follow that of Charlton next season. If Venkys continue to pay the bills then we'll probably float around mid-table in Lge 1 with the likes of Southend and Northampton for 2-3 seasons before eventually drifting into League Two once they've dismantled things further. Cheston will continue to turn up to fans meetings telling everyone that we can't compete with Plymouth/Portsmouth/Bradford so we've no right to expect promotion. Eventually we'll follow Coventry into League Two, that I have no doubt about.

Things might happen much quicker than that if Venkys pull the plug on funding and Lge 2 could become reality much sooner. 

If you don't spend or invest or plan beyond the next few months or employ people qualified for the level you are operating at then you will end up dropping down as we're finding out. Clowns like Cheston like to dress it up as getting the house in order and doing something noble by cutting back to the bare bones but it can't be done in football so quickly without major ramifications. 

Bolton were going to hell in a handcart last season with their finances and on the verge of administration all season and not paying players on time. Their response to relegation was to keep their squad intact. People like Clough, Vela, Pratley, Spearing etc. all too good for League One. Players no doubt convinced to stay on for a year to get the club back up because they believe it is possible. Immediately appoint a quality League One manager and staff and let him get on with it.

I don't think we'll see any such things here. If Mowbray departs then they'll appoint on the basis of who's cheap and willing to work under these constraints rather than who's most qualified to rebuild the club. They've been attempting to sell season tickets on the back of the goodwill towards Mowbray so it sounds to me like they think he'll be staying. However it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's only really here until the summer and then they'll re-assess as was the case with Lambert. As for the squad because it has been thrown together on the cheap and with loans there will be another massive turnover and bedding in period of new arrivals. Expecting to assemble a promotion capable squad from the reserves is madness but probably the most likely course. 

Once again whether you like it or not the only way to succeed in football is to INVEST. Bolton invested last summer not by throwing money into transfers but by resisting the urge to cash in on assets like Clough on the cheap and continuing to fund big wages i.e. Spearing with a view to it paying off through promotion. Cheston is only being judged on financial performance so he will be looking forward to another round of cuts rather than an immediate promotion back to the Championship.

Whatever Cheston and the naysayers come out with this summer we will be a big club in League One, and we need to use that status to our advantage by recruiting from other clubs. We've got pedigree, profile, facilities and potential that will be the envy of most in that League, and whilst it doesn't immediately translate to a right to be successful it should help massively, yet these morons will find a way to waste that advantage and find excuses why we can't succeed.

Sorry to rain on your analysis but Bolton sold Zac Clough to Forest for a reported fee of £3 million in January. Probably needed the dosh to pay winning money.

Just now, RV Blue said:

Not Mowbray. He might be a decent bloke but his tactics, team selection, substitutions and organisation are horrendous, worse than Coyle. If I could pick a manager, I would go for Keith Hill.

Tyrone likes Keith Hill, I didn't want him years ago but he could be the one now. A lower version of Gary bowyer. Picks up young hungry players develops then they sell on him.

Just now, RV Blue said:

Not Mowbray. He might be a decent bloke but his tactics, team selection, substitutions and organisation are horrendous, worse than Coyle. If I could pick a manager, I would go for Keith Hill.

Well off the mark here I'm afraid. We have definitely improved organisationally since Mowbray took over. 

What would you have liked to see as alternative team selection? 

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Sorry to rain on your analysis but Bolton sold Zac Clough to Forest for a reported fee of £3 million in January. Probably needed the dosh to pay winning money.

Yes but they kept hold of him last summer despite relegation when it would have been easy to offload him to the Championship. He stayed until late January by which time Bolton were established in the promotion shake up and he had made a big contribution to that. Despite being skint Bolton still had a structure and some sort of plan or ambition. I'm not sure we have any and players come and go with scant regard for the impact it might have on results.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Thanks for that Parson. I can honestly say there isn't one senior player I wouldn't be happy to show the door to.

The youngsters basically have to be the way forward I think with maybe one or two John McNamee types thrown in and although den might not agree one or two proven performers at that level

Above all they have to have the stomach and appetite for the fight which will entail at the very least building a team of our own players as opposed to loanees. 

John McNamee - wow!  A fearsome man mountain who wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes on the field of play today.  He made Keeley look like the archangel Gabriel.  If my memory is correct, he debuted for Rovers at Tranmere one cold Friday winter's night some 45+ years ago.  I was there and also recall our coach getting attacked by about 20 to 30 scallies when leaving Prenton Park celebrating a pretty rare win in those days.  But you are right, the type of player and character we will need to galvanise the team both in the dressing room and on the field of play.

Just now, JHRover said:

Yes but they kept hold of him last summer despite relegation when it would have been easy to offload him to the Championship. He stayed until late January by which time Bolton were established in the promotion shake up and he had made a big contribution to that. Despite being skint Bolton still had a structure and some sort of plan or ambition. I'm not sure we have any and players come and go with scant regard for the impact it might have on results.

I take your point. I'm sorry but I can't see anything like that happening at Ewood. Anybody we can get a fee for will be sold in my opinion.

Just now, JHRover said:

Till deadline day and got good money

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mowbray suddenly exercise a clause in his contract when the next round of chops start. The prospect of Dunn managing a team of youth in lge 1 is horrific for me. Nothing against Dunny but that will be the next disaster waiting to happen.

Senior should be sacked if we go down, he's come in but failed to bring a couple of decent players in so he's failed at his job imo.

Surely though when TM took over and the state of the squad we had he knew that relegation was a serious possibility.

i think losing both mulgrew and lenihan for the last 6 games is a massive blow for TM considering mulgrew is prob our main leader and the rest lack spine without them.

i think he knew what he story was when taking the job he was probably appointed ahead of Warnock because he comes a lot cheaper, all he had to do was look at January's transfer dealings to know the club lacks any ambition whatsoever. We resign emnes and signed Joao who was basically unheard of whilst selling Marshall and we had been stuck in the bottom 3 from the start of the season.

i expected him to still be their at the start of the season but what he has to play with is a complete unknown 

6 minutes ago, JonnyP said:

Surely though when TM took over and the state of the squad we had he knew that relegation was a serious possibility.

i think losing both mulgrew and lenihan for the last 6 games is a massive blow for TM considering mulgrew is prob our main leader and the rest lack spine without them.

i think he knew what he story was when taking the job he was probably appointed ahead of Warnock because he comes a lot cheaper, all he had to do was look at January's transfer dealings to know the club lacks any ambition whatsoever. We resign emnes and signed Joao who was basically unheard of whilst selling Marshall and we had been stuck in the bottom 3 from the start of the season.

i expected him to still be their at the start of the season but what he has to play with is a complete unknown 

Its probably the only thing we know. Nothing. 

The owners have zero interest in Blackburn Rovers and even less interest in putting any money in.

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well off the mark here I'm afraid. We have definitely improved organisationally since Mowbray took over. 

What would you have liked to see as alternative team selection? 

Yep not a lot he can do working with the bare bones of the rubbish Coyle foisted upon us as yesterday we had 2 experienced defenders playing like school kids in the first 10 mins. I don't rate Hoban at all he's a blatant ball watcher and Brown is a disgrace he shouldn't be anywhere near a professional team now. Wandering about from first min till last yesterday like it was all beneath him just what the hell is he doing apart from stealing a wage.

Have to say though I was disappointed with Mowbrays tactics and use of subs yesterday he didn't have much idea. Emnes & Joa up front hit the deck every time the ball comes to them and we only really threatened when big Sam came on. As well as being unfit the whole team is so lightweight and so easily bullied or knocked of the ball. Odd really considering the timber half the team looks like it's carrying.

Archived