BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manager For Next Season

We are not going to even attempt to get a new manager in next season. The manager spot is nailed down unless, one, Mowbray walks (can't see it) or, two, we can't afford his wages (could see it).

If it's the latter then it will surely be Dunny.

To be honest, I'm starting to care less and less about specifics like who the manager is or who the players are. I just want our Rovers back, and by back I mean free of Venkys. What we had is almost certainly gone forever so we have to hope for an honest third tier club that all of the fans can get behind. And that means no Venkys and solvency. We have to hope and try to be positive. Even if we stay up this season, by some miracle that two of Wigan, Forest and Bristol lose three of their remaining games, it's going to be dreadful next season.

Let's get it over with.

Be interesting to see how Mowbray reacts to relegation (if/when) and if he accepts the fact he will get no backing whatsoever from Venkys.

I wouldn't be surprised if his contract allows Venkys to sack him without too much financial burden on their part. They are obviously being very very careful with their outlay these days.

Was Mowbray sacked at Coventry or did he walk ?

6 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

Be interesting to see how Mowbray reacts to relegation (if/when) and if he accepts the fact he will get no backing whatsoever from Venkys.

I wouldn't be surprised if his contract allows Venkys to sack him without too much financial burden on their part. They are obviously being very very careful with their outlay these days.

Was Mowbray sacked at Coventry or did he walk ?

Mowbray walked out of Coventry saying that you cannot build a team on frees and loans. Or words to that effect. He did however decline any compensation, although I do not know how you are due any if you resign..but that's football.

I hope Mowbray stays. I do not want Dunn as the untried cheap option. Dunn does not seem to have had any motivational impact as assistant manager and he must meet the players most days.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray for me. 

Got to allow Mowbray and Senior the time to overhaul this poor squad

I want Mowbray to stay and have a voice in getting 'his' type of player in.

Senior has got the summer window to prove himself capable as DoF. My jury has been out on him from the start but he's in situ and not going anywhere so fingers crossed.

If he with Mowbray can cobble together a squad capableof being competitive in L1 I will doff my cap.

By competitive I mean at least a playoff place in L1 next season.

The above assumes we get relegated :(

A personal view - I expect that Mowbray will walk away from what is a basket case of a club.

BCFC = Basket Case Football Club.

From 'Pride of Lancashire' to 'Lauging Stock of Lancashire'.

Sad times, and no this is not the cyclical nature of football, it is downright bad ownership and management.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If I had to jump one way I'd say the chances are Mowbray will walk away if his previous history with Coventry is anything to go by.

I hope he does, for the sake of his health. He seems a decent bloke and doesn't deserve the suffering he'd get under these clowns.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray for me. 

Oh it will be overhauled Allright with more journeymen and loanees whilst our better players depart 

Was watching Mowbrays body language on the touch line  yesterday it looked like he was as P@@@@@ off as us just above him in the Jw upper 

He's walked into to another Coventry situation tbh if he'd done his own homework he'd have known this 

it's going to be Dunn. Get any heat off as a fan favourite and is cheap. The fact he tanked at Oldham won't concern them at all.

Given it's TM or Dunn I'll go with TM but neither is inspiring. To think we could have appointed Warnock in the summer...

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray for me. 

I think Senior is yet another appointment symptomatic of the club's continuous and ruinous path of 'dumbing down'.  Personally, I can't stand the bloke and wouldn't trust him to run a bath.

As for Mowbray, I think he's a very decent guy but not at all sure whether he would be the one to take us back up.  You would need a Grayson or a Warnock to get anywhere near.

Chaddy, we are in a right old mess and believe me, having experienced two relegations to the equivalent 'Third Division' and promotions out of, you need a 'special' type of manager as Gordon Lee and Howard Kendall proved - both going on to bigger and better things with the likes of Everton, Man City, Newcastle etc.

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

I think Senior is yet another appointment symptomatic of the club's continuous and ruinous path of 'dumbing down'.  Personally, I can't stand the bloke and wouldn't trust him to run a bath.

As for Mowbray, I think he's a very decent guy but not at all sure whether he would be the one to take us back up.  You would need a Grayson or a Warnock to get anywhere near.

Chaddy, we are in a right old mess and believe me, having experienced two relegations to the equivalent 'Third Division' and promotions out of, you need a 'special' type of manager as Gordon Lee and Howard Kendall proved - both going on to bigger and better things with the likes of Everton, Man City, Newcastle etc.

Good post Mercer I'm tending towards this point of view myself.

That said Mowbray's results seem to be mirroring those of Lambert's. Very good start but extremely disappointing and very flat from the players thereafter. Maybe it's just nigh on impossible these days to get a proper reaction for more than a few games from a set of players who aren't your own.

Given the urgency and short term nature of our situation since Mowbray took over I'd have expected him to keep them more focused and motivated until the end of the season than they were yesterday though.

I expect there's be lots of talk about us 'doing a Bolton' next season and the club will use the example of a local rival dropping into League One and bouncing back immediately without spending any money as their 'blueprint' for Rovers in an attempt to shift season tickets.

Unfortunately the chances of us 'doing a Bolton' are extremely slim. Our path is more likely to follow that of Charlton next season. If Venkys continue to pay the bills then we'll probably float around mid-table in Lge 1 with the likes of Southend and Northampton for 2-3 seasons before eventually drifting into League Two once they've dismantled things further. Cheston will continue to turn up to fans meetings telling everyone that we can't compete with Plymouth/Portsmouth/Bradford so we've no right to expect promotion. Eventually we'll follow Coventry into League Two, that I have no doubt about.

Things might happen much quicker than that if Venkys pull the plug on funding and Lge 2 could become reality much sooner. 

If you don't spend or invest or plan beyond the next few months or employ people qualified for the level you are operating at then you will end up dropping down as we're finding out. Clowns like Cheston like to dress it up as getting the house in order and doing something noble by cutting back to the bare bones but it can't be done in football so quickly without major ramifications. 

Bolton were going to hell in a handcart last season with their finances and on the verge of administration all season and not paying players on time. Their response to relegation was to keep their squad intact. People like Clough, Vela, Pratley, Spearing etc. all too good for League One. Players no doubt convinced to stay on for a year to get the club back up because they believe it is possible. Immediately appoint a quality League One manager and staff and let him get on with it.

I don't think we'll see any such things here. If Mowbray departs then they'll appoint on the basis of who's cheap and willing to work under these constraints rather than who's most qualified to rebuild the club. They've been attempting to sell season tickets on the back of the goodwill towards Mowbray so it sounds to me like they think he'll be staying. However it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's only really here until the summer and then they'll re-assess as was the case with Lambert. As for the squad because it has been thrown together on the cheap and with loans there will be another massive turnover and bedding in period of new arrivals. Expecting to assemble a promotion capable squad from the reserves is madness but probably the most likely course. 

Once again whether you like it or not the only way to succeed in football is to INVEST. Bolton invested last summer not by throwing money into transfers but by resisting the urge to cash in on assets like Clough on the cheap and continuing to fund big wages i.e. Spearing with a view to it paying off through promotion. Cheston is only being judged on financial performance so he will be looking forward to another round of cuts rather than an immediate promotion back to the Championship.

Whatever Cheston and the naysayers come out with this summer we will be a big club in League One, and we need to use that status to our advantage by recruiting from other clubs. We've got pedigree, profile, facilities and potential that will be the envy of most in that League, and whilst it doesn't immediately translate to a right to be successful it should help massively, yet these morons will find a way to waste that advantage and find excuses why we can't succeed.

7 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Mowbray walked out of Coventry saying that you cannot build a team on frees and loans. Or words to that effect. 

This isn't really the job for him then is it?

Unfortunately with little income coming in from anywhere next year I see it being a struggle again unless the owners are prepared to give whoever is in charge a competitive wages budget.

Apologies if this has been mentioned anywhere else but who is still in contract next season? 

Steele Nyambe Williams Lenihan Mulgrew  Conway Graham?

Who else?

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

This isn't really the job for him then is it?

Unfortunately with little income coming in from anywhere next year I see it being a struggle again unless the owners are prepared to give whoever is in charge a competitive wages budget.

Apologies if this has been mentioned anywhere else but who is still in contract next season? 

Steele Nyambe Williams Lenihan Mulgrew  Conway Graham?

Who else?

I believe Bennett, Stokes, Feeney, Raya, Ward and Evans are still under contract.  Together with some of the other youngsters like Travis, Tomlinson, Wharton, Platt, Doyle, Fisher etc. we could have, on paper at least, the basis of a decent League One squad if we can add to it with one or two of decent quality.  I believe keeping Mowbray will be key to any hope of a revival next season.  The fact that it's taken a club like Sheffield United six years or so to get back suggests that next season is going to be far from easy.

Archived