Brexit: 36 / 16
Security: 34 / 16
Immigration: 25 / 19

(via @TNS_UK)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Abbott has home secretary would be awful. Shes clueless and my 10 year step daughter could do better. 

Daily Mail counts just like the daily mirror counts. 

If she's that good, put her name forward.

I've never quoted the Mirror. Is it possible for you to form opinions without referring to Northcliffe's failing organ?

1. Abbott has home secretary would be awful. Shes clueless and my 10 year step daughter could do better. 

The world would run rings Abbott. Complety numpty

2. Sun reported what Corbyn even tho he cant admit this..

Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott cant be trust. Plus their support for IRA Says everything. 

Even a labour supporter for 40 years wont voted for Corbyn 

Daily Mail counts just like the daily mirror counts. 

1. Abbott might come across like a numpty but let's be honest, she's been re-elected every time since 1987 in her constituency and that takes more than a few Tv mishaps. Having faith in Boris Johnson as foreign security but laughing at Dianne is just ironic.

In the same week, Phillip Hammond underestimated the HS2 by 20bn AND HE IS THE CHANCELLOR, yet this absolute balls up goes unnoticed. Any comment?

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/864877189799583744

2. Are you listening to anything but what you want to? Countless politicians/monarchs/councillors/high level public servings have met/discussed with members of Sinn Fein and/or some with former IRA membership, amongst many others from around the globe. Corbyn did it seeking peace. Not like the other examples meeting Saudis, Isrealis et al to sell weapons. Using this rhetoric, you sound like you've been royally conned

Just read that all the party leaders are prepared to turn up tonight at the leaders debate on TV - except Theresa May.

calls an election about brexit then refuses to debate it, or put her views forward on TV.

pathetic woman, she really is.

52 minutes ago, Biz said:

1. Abbott might come across like a numpty but let's be honest, she's been re-elected every time since 1987 in her constituency and that takes more than a few Tv mishaps. Having faith in Boris Johnson as foreign security but laughing at Dianne is just ironic.

In the same week, Phillip Hammond underestimated the HS2 by 20bn AND HE IS THE CHANCELLOR, yet this absolute balls up goes unnoticed. Any comment?

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/864877189799583744

2. Are you listening to anything but what you want to? Countless politicians/monarchs/councillors/high level public servings have met/discussed with members of Sinn Fein and/or some with former IRA membership, amongst many others from around the globe. Corbyn did it seeking peace. Not like the other examples meeting Saudis, Isrealis et al to sell weapons. Using this rhetoric, you sound like you've been royally conned

Look at Preston Blue's comments summed Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott. Summed all 3 up very well and has inside knowledge of them all. 

Look all 3 comments of them in supporting the IRA. didnt Abbott support the IRA killing British policemans?

• Moderation Lead

Look at Preston Blue's comments summed Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott. Summed all 3 up very well and has inside knowledge of them all. 

Look all 3 comments of them in supporting the IRA. didnt Abbott support the IRA killing British policemans?

There's an actual former member of the IRA serving as a Tory MP Chaddy.

I summed up PBs comments already, you ignored that.

I doubt the people of Hackney would vote for someone for 35 years if she "supported Ira killing British policemans". You are living in the propaganda soundbite with that- she was asked about Ireland on the Andrew Marr. We seem to be ignoring that many politicians had different opinions about solutions to the community issues over there, some thought conflict, military etc, some wanted conversation. She didn't help herself by mentioning hairstyle because she's somewhat out of touch imo-

The bigger picture is being ignored here. Did I imagine the Boris Johnson taped calls asking for someone to be assaulted but "not the face?" (The actual FOREIGN SEC!! )

Cant say I've heard Dianne do that, but carry on, she bundled some figures, she's a terrorist sympathiser. Focus on that, and let those destroying this country carry on. 

The biggest IRONY of all. Theresa wanted to REMAIN! How could she believe that the nation would blissfully go along with her being the right person for their brexit? Then she makes it the key battleground.

Youve got to admit, the conservatives have made an absolute pigs ear of this. 

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Biz said:

Maria Mcguire 

Bingo! Now with a different last name which is cute, but she's even written a book on her experiences! Which is why any Tory references to Corbyn and the IRA are frankly laughable.

54 minutes ago, Biz said:

I summed up PBs comments already, you ignored that.

I doubt the people of Hackney would vote for someone for 35 years if she "supported Ira killing British policemans". You are living in the propaganda soundbite with that- she was asked about Ireland on the Andrew Marr.

You could put a pig with a red rosette up for election in Hackney and it would still win, bit like Blackburn in that sense.

Regarding where the terrorist support thing as come from recently. It was in a Sunday Times article that is pay-walled with quotes that they found in a journal called  London and Ireland. 

Link to a re-posting of the article, not sure where the support of killing British policemen quote come from though.

In the Guardian ,Why people have decided to vote (insert party name )  for the first time , this is part one of three, first its the conservatives

Just now, perthblue02 said:

You could put a pig with a red rosette up for election in Hackney and it would still win, bit like Blackburn in that sense.

Regarding where the terrorist support thing as come from recently. It was in a Sunday Times article that is pay-walled with quotes that they found in a journal called  London and Ireland. 

Link to a re-posting of the article, not sure where the support of killing British policemen quote come from though.

The killing policemen was a question on marr.

There are plenty of ex-pro-Ira within politics, that's a proven fact since the troubles in Ireland (like many issues) weren't as black and white as hindsight might make out.

Can we focus on 2017 and the next 5 years? Theresa won't debate without a script but calls herself "strong". Asked 5 times to commit to police spending and cannot. This government is not working, and it won't be changed by retaining a majority. 

• Moderation Lead

In the Guardian ,Why people have decided to vote (insert party name )  for the first time , this is part one of three, first its the conservatives

Would be the same in the Ribble Valley with blue rosettes to be fair. Explains how that wrong'un Nigel Evans is elected time and again!

Just now, K-Hod said:

Would be the same in the Ribble Valley with blue rosettes to be fair. Explains how that wrong'un Nigel Evans is elected time and again!

Yes and it's an unfortunate part of the electoral system, safe seats.

• Moderation Lead

Yes and it's an unfortunate part of the electoral system, safe seats.

I don't know, I don't think too much of it tbh. By and large, human beings are creatures of habit.

• Backroom
3 hours ago, den said:

Just read that all the party leaders are prepared to turn up tonight at the leaders debate on TV - except Theresa May.

calls an election about brexit then refuses to debate it, or put her views forward on TV.

pathetic woman, she really is.

Amazing that her horrifically poor leadership has somehow changed a sure victory for the Tories into a genuine contest with Corbyn's Labour. The Tories' overconfidence has led to the exposure of everything nasty about their party. Dave did a good job of hiding it for the most part, but since May has taken charge it's all come back to the surface. Ineptitude on a huge scale. All they had to do was pretend they cared about the middle and lower classes, but no, apparently they were so sure they were going to win that they thought they could drop the mask and still romp to victory.

I hope they get punished for their arrogance.

Didnt I say before that they should be kick out of the party. 

Why? Do you know the full details or are you just making the assumption that "linked to IRA= must be a terrorist or terrorist sympathiser?"

Life isn't so black and white, despite what you might read, there are always conflicting views. Look at Martin Mcguiness as an example- whilst linked to bomb making and Bloody Sunday, he also was first minister for 10 years+ (I think) and subsequently did much for peace in Ireland.

Hindsight is easy. Should Thatcher be posthumously disgraced for her friendship with Jimmy Savile? Or what about the 1bn loaned to the Iraqis in the 80s?

Funnily enough, money they still owed us in 2003 when Blair and co made the ever so stupid decision to invade, and cause how many extra deaths? I've read many people completely rip Blair a new one for those decisions, even seen people suggest he should be in The Hague! 

The same people criticise Corbyn for not having a knee jerk answer to hypothetical questions.

Now can we, as I asked PB, focus on the present and future;

Tonight's debate in a nutshell; Paul Nuttall is completely abhorrent and Amber Rudd had no chance after a Conservative campaign that lurches from one cockup to another. 

Yougov now predicting a three point lead for the Tories and a hung parliament. Fair to say other polls are still predicting up to a 12 point lead for the Tories. 

What the Tories do have on their side is the backing of a large proportion of the leavers - they know it and that's what they're banking on. This is where Labour struggle. Although labours manifesto is very popular, they are fighting the brexit tide. 

My expectations really can't get above a hung parliament, and I don't really think that will happen. Labour still aren't in a position to win. But in some sense - and particularly on brexit, a hung parliament would be so preferable to a large Tory majority that gave May the backing to do - in the absence of any kind of Tory manifesto - the go ahead to do whatever she wants, in any field. Surely that would be good for everyone?

I'd like a Labour win or a centre left coalition but the prospect of May getting back in with the same majority would  have a few pluses. Let her sort out this bloody awful Brexit mess she's embraced so heartily. She won't be able to U- turn her way out of this one. Having said that maybe she won't turn up for that meeting either.

I can't recall another Prime Minister who's reputation has fallen so far in so short a time.

But to focus on the present and the future you have to take into account the past to make an informed decision.

But relevancy is important. If we are talking about history - the relevant aspect when making an informed decisions has to be record in government, not "Hamas, Hamas, Hamas you invited Hamas into the House of Commons!!" That kind of tactic goes against reasonable politics. Krishna Guru Murthy responded absolutely fantastically last night with David Davis- politics is only brought "into disrepute" when politicians lie or change tact. Something this government has done continuously - in the very (relevant) near past.

Im still yet to hear anybody criticise the Conservative campaign who is pro-conservative, but I know that I would be ripping Labour to bits if they continued to use empty sound bites, have no manifesto, have no costings and not get involved in debates.

I was teetering on apathy for this vote that was always going to end up with a Tory majority but Labour and particularly Corbyn have won be me over big style. I always had respect for him as a more honest politician but he has blasted this "can't lead" argument and is a far better orator and public speaker than I or many others gave him credit for.

I still expect a majority for May, and if she survives this debacle I can see the Conservative party doing untold damage to their reputation and the country. The positive long term, people are starting to wake up, 5 more years of austerity will have the majority in uproar! 

Relevancy is important, we have a potential home secretary that is imo both  racist and anti-British will leave to one side her failings as a politician and a hypocrite (granted the hypocrisy does seem to be a prerequisite when becoming a politician in most cases), So in this particular case the past is very relevant to the present and future as that leopard despite its best efforts to cover it will never change it's spots.

If you read a previous post of mine you will see I criticised the Conservative campaign and their attitude being so far ahead in the polls, in fact criticised the standard of politicians on both sides, and I will admit to being right leaning but open to change hence my comments in that particular post regarding the Labour party manifesto.

I must admit this time having to cast my vote in the Blackburn constituency, apathy and potentially not bothering to go through the hassle of a proxy vote was the way I was leaning until Duncan Miller announced he was standing . Will not make a difference to a E grade Labour candidate walking it (I shudder at the thought of her being on the front bench of a Government, having Venky's associated with the good name of Blackburn is bad enough! 

Unfortunately with the system that is currently in operation, casting a vote in a safe seat like Blackburn has no effect on the overall outcome , would be interesting if a system was in operation where votes cast elected the MP for a constituency , but to actually elect a Government all votes would be counted towards an overall total. Might go some way to ending voter apathy as even a vote in a safe seat would have some baring.

Having yet to watch the latest debate, but judging by feeds on social media (taking into account most of those I receive posts /tweets from are left leaning) seems it was a car crash for the conservatives, be interesting to see if this sees any change to peoples potential voting intentions. As both Brexit and the American elections have shown , expect the unexpected

Archived