BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray stays as manager

9 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

However in an ideal world we probably need a period of stability under a decent manager of integrity who can build some reasonable foundations on the playing side of the Club with our own players after the turmoil and disruption caused by Paul "fill yer boots for 6 months" Lambert and Owen "I can't organise a defence" Coyle both of whom loaded us up with loan players and neither of whom seemed to have any regard for the long term health of the playing squad. 

Not sure whether I agree with this or not. Lambert inherited a squad from Bowyer that most agreed was struggling having sold Cairney and Gestede without adequate replacements or reinvestment with the convenient embargo in place as an excuse. Lambert was clearly under the impression that the summer was the time for spending and so went through January as a make do and mend approach with some quality coming in on loan but no money spent. January is notorious for being difficult to do business and not many clubs spend big or assemble squads in January, rather a few additions to see them through to the summer. I've no doubt if he had stayed Lambert would have assembled a decent squad, probably at substantial cost if allowed, rather than using the loan market. I think its worth bearing in mind that whilst Lambert talked about immediate results and aiming for promotion it was he who saw the value of Darragh Lenihan and gave him a run in the team when he hadn't had a look in under Bowyer, showing he was prepared to go with younger players if they were good enough.

I don't even want to criticise Coyle too much for his transfer business. Thinking he could replace Duffy and Hanley with Greer and Brown was bonkers but we don't know what restrictions they put him under. Suffice to say he wasn't given a warchest to spend (thank goodness). He's an inept manager who should have been nowhere near this club but his use of loans and frees and old players was likely a result of Venky policy rather than him wanting to do it. I'm sure if he'd have had a chance he would have loaded 10-15 expensive long term players onto the books.

Venkys seem to enjoy short term deals, high turnover in players and over-reliance on the loan market. Of course not helped by having different managers every 6 months who want to do things differently.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

I think we would have all thought that being judged after 10 games would be fair enough before the season.

I still think that's fair, 7 points from the next 3 should see us in the play off spots and not too far from the top two, if we lose further ground then the mountain gets bigger and bigger to the point that hope could be gone by Christmas.

We can keep pointing to Sheffield United but the fact remains that promotion would be a more likely outcome had we the points of Shrewsbury or Wigan.

If Mowbray isn't the man then who is? That's another dilemma, the likely choice would be Johnson whether he's ready or not.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I think we would have all thought that being judged after 10 games would be fair enough before the season.

I still think that's fair, 7 points from the next 3 should see us in the play off spots and not too far from the top two, if we lose further ground then the mountain gets bigger and bigger to the point that hope could be gone by Christmas.

We can keep pointing to Sheffield United but the fact remains that promotion would be a more likely outcome had we the points of Shrewsbury or Wigan.

If Mowbray isn't the man then who is? That's another dilemma, the likely choice would be Johnson whether he's ready or not.

Did you think De Boer was sacked too soon?

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Whoever the agents with fingers in pies and are able to whisper in the ears recommend comes next, a cheapo with odds of 25-1+, it's as simple as that really.

Zero planning or thinking outside the box just roll the dice their pals have in their hands and see which 2 match.

Stephen Horner HSH Sports 

Directors Horner, Sheron & Honeyman you may remember these guys from SEM

Lambert - Horner

Coyle - Sheron

Sure Mowbray is HSH too.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Did you think De Boer was sacked too soon?

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I did 

So did I. Watched the highlights of Burnley v Crystal Palace. How the heck Palace didn't score was beyond comprehension. They battered Burnley. They absolutely pulverised them. The best team lost.

De Boer sacked far too early.

Re Mowbray; we have to stick with him unless, as a previous poster suggested, we have lost too many points by the end of Fleetwood at home.

2 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

Lambert - Horner

Coyle - Sheron

Sure Mowbray is HSH too.

Yep all boils down to the same old crew providing managers, coaches and probably a lot of the players. Seems they've given up installing directors though.

It's another reason the ever decreasing circles continue though as we work our way through whoever is on a certain set of peoples books just hoping to get lucky with one of them.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I did 

I just think 10 games into a season isn't long enough for a manager. Granted mowbray did have last season,but that wasn't really his squad. 

I think the end of October is fair enough. I would actually say in an ideal world that it is too early,but it's just the way things are these days with social media etc.  

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I just think 10 games into a season isn't long enough for a manager. Granted mowbray did have last season,but that wasn't really his squad. 

I think the end of October is fair enough. I would actually say in an ideal world that it is too early,but it's just the way things are these days with social media etc.  

I don't fully disagree, it's just this season has a real 'one shot' feel about it for me, think if we are to escape this league it will have to be this season.

If after 10 games we are a long way off the pace and losing the pack it would be fair to at least review the situation.

I believe we have the best players in this league and enough of them so it's down to the manager to get the most out of them.

Lets hope we can pick up another couple of quick wins, improve our position and this talk gets knocked on the head, everyone wins then.

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

I don't fully disagree, it's just this season has a real 'one shot' feel about it for me, think if we are to escape this league it will have to be this season.

If after 10 games we are a long way off the pace and losing the pack it would be fair to at least review the situation.

I believe we have the best players in this league and enough of them so it's down to the manager to get the most out of them.

Lets hope we can pick up another couple of quick wins, improve our position and this talk gets knocked on the head, everyone wins then.

Ya. The thing for me and maybe some other fans is the f#*#**g memory of Kean. It was so obvious that the fans hated him and that he was never going to get results. Yet they stuck and stuck and stuck and bloody stuck. It was like a nightmare. 

Mowbray is a gentleman and a genuine straight talker,but if it becomes obvious it's not going to work,his position should be looked at. I suppose you can say 10 games,I can say the end of October,no time might be right,but as you say and I totally agree with,we need to get promoted this season. 

There must be people on here who have been to 3 of the worst home performances in the history of the Club:

-Barnsley (last season)

-Doncaster Rovers(August)

-AFC Wimbledon (September)

So in the last 8(?) home matches we have had these 3 local disasters. Says a lot.

35 minutes ago, mhead said:

There must be people on here who have been to 3 of the worst home performances in the history of the Club:

-Barnsley (last season)

-Doncaster Rovers(August)

-AFC Wimbledon (September)

So in the last 8(?) home matches we have had these 3 local disasters. Says a lot.

4 when you include that abject and pathetic performance against Burnley

9 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Going up this season is absolutely paramount. We need to worry about he club overall and not Nowbray above all, IMO....

Unfortunately Mowbray is at the helm and at this moment in time looks incapable of promotion.. Wether the venksters actually want promotion is another matter 

13 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

Lambert - Horner

Coyle - Sheron

Sure Mowbray is HSH too.

It's obvious that this element will never go Away whilst venksters own the club and the big fella with the colorful collection of friends plays with it... Whilst the money goes round and round 

25 minutes ago, Athlete said:

Unfortunately Mowbray is at the helm and at this moment in time looks incapable of promotion.. Wether the venksters actually want promotion is another matter 

I don't agree with the second part, ineptitude not conspiracy is my belief. However the first part I have to admit creeps into my mind. Cook at Wigan came there on the back of success, the last time Mowbray had success is in the history books.

Can anyone think of a manager who went nearly 10 years without success and then achieved it again? 

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't agree with the second part, ineptitude not conspiracy is my belief. However the first part I have to admit creeps into my mind. Cook at Wigan came there on the back of success, the last time Mowbray had success is in the history books.

Can anyone think of a manager who went nearly 10 years without success and then achieved it again? 

Leicester-City-Leicester-Leicester-v-Sun

It may become necessary to sack Mowbray but is there anyone out there who believes that our hapless owners would then make the right appointment?

One disaster after another with them. They appoint someone on the cheap, then expect them to perform miracles.

They probably treat all their serfs in the same way.

10 minutes ago, 47er said:

It may become necessary to sack Mowbray but is there anyone out there who believes that our hapless owners would then make the right appointment?

One disaster after another with them. They appoint someone on the cheap, then expect them to perform miracles.

Would Cook at Wigan be on more than ToMo? 

1 hour ago, Athlete said:

Wether the venksters actually want promotion is another matter 

No reason to think they even know we're in League One. I doubt they'll be aware of any results or our league position. They might have a look at things in May when they get round to the annual review but until then its business as usual unless one of the invisible directors tries to make something happen.

12 minutes ago, 47er said:

Like we've said before it'll just come down to the same set of suppliers.  Who've you got next ?   Will be the question.

Ohh so and so, he took such and such up a division 10 years ago, he's available, he's cheap and he's 35-1 so stick a few rupees on around your usual brokers and we'll get the club to interview someone else then appoint our guy anyway. Deal paid for, job done.

31 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Like we've said before it'll just come down to the same set of suppliers.  Who've you got next ?   Will be the question.

Ohh so and so, he took such and such up a division 10 years ago, he's available, he's cheap and he's 35-1 so stick a few rupees on around your usual brokers and we'll get the club to interview someone else then appoint our guy anyway. Deal paid for, job done.

A promotion leading to a club sale would be a great platform for next season....oh to dream 

9 minutes ago, Suhail Slayer said:

I really hate this "League 1" and "League 2" nonsense.

"League 1" can lead to the misconception of being in League number 1 which in this case is the 3rd Division. 

Agreed only if you are an idiot, know nothing about English football or don't care enough about it to bother.... oh I just described the Raos

I doubt, even they, think you can get relegated upwards. 

Archived