BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

PNE have signed a few recently who seem to be doing well. As JAL said it appears we've not had much of a scouting presence over the water since the last one passed away. Hopefully that part of the club is back up and functioning.

I thought McEleney was a midfielder? Only going off those articles, mind, I've never heard of him.

Hopefully find the next Duffer

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
14 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I saw Duff's debut against Leicester city and even though they were all a foot taller than him he had that something that made you know he was special.

Jones' debut made me feel the same way, but it's only now he seems to be finding any consistency. Maybe he needed a defensively minded manager to get the best out of him.

My dad often says what Jones did vs Chelsea on his debut was what Duncan Edwards did on a bad day ?

He had the pleasure of insisting (to the man himself on Fri night) that Douglas did things every game with a heavy ball vs harder players that Messi manages once a month :)

Just now, Mike E said:

Jones' debut made me feel the same way, but it's only now he seems to be finding any consistency. Maybe he needed a defensively minded manager to get the best out of him.

My dad often says what Jones did vs Chelsea on his debut was what Duncan Edwards did on a bad day ?

He had the pleasure of insisting (to the man himself on Fri night) that Douglas did things every game with a heavy ball vs harder players that Messi manages once a month :)

You dad's right about Dougie, he was a magician on the ball. One on one defenders had no chance, it needed a combined effort to stop him. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Come on now, he had huge impacts off the bench in some games. 

You could argue that he should have started more,that is up for debate,  but Mowbrays comment is fair enough. 

He had a new huge impact only game he started. All Mowbrays comments about him not being right defensively were totally disproved in the game he started at home where we kept a rare clean sheet against one of the few teams who came to Ewood to play. Mowbray then tried to claim he'd been easing him in gently! Like I've said before, Mowbray makes it up as he goes along. He came out with similar self-justifications regarding Nuttall. They were confused nonsense too.

22 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

He had a new huge impact only game he started. All Mowbrays comments about him not being right defensively were totally disproved in the game he started at home where we kept a rare clean sheet against one of the few teams who came to Ewood to play. Mowbray then tried to claim he'd been easing him in gently! Like I've said before, Mowbray makes it up as he goes along. He came out with similar self-justifications regarding Nuttall. They were confused nonsense too.

Saying we need a replacement for Chapman is a fair comment 

21 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Interesting line on Byrne being out of contract in January. Would it be worth trying to bring him up as backup/competition for Dack? 

On McElheny, if we were interested enough, we would be in pole position to sign him. 

The left back from Bury will do for me.

Greg Leigh, former City academy. Was the standout player for them when we played at Gigg Lane, kept Bennett very quiet.

Scored against Shrewsbury too, 23 and I think he can play higher.

Also, Derrick Williams needs the competition, his reluctance to fire early crosses into the box is so frustrating!

Could you imagine Williams making that run?

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

How can someone’s opinion be totally disproven by one game?

Harry Chapman has never been asked to defend, it’s obvious. From seeing all of his performances, I feel safe in that opinion. I’m sure those who saw him in training would have an even clearer picture. You might disagree with TM’s rationale, in a similar way to how you’ve painted the context of Joe Nuttall, but I think you’d find many who could see both sides of the argument. 

Nuttall for example, criticised by a few here after the Bury game. Criticised again on Saturday because the subs changed the game. Now, if it’s so bleeding obvious to you BB, why isn’t it that obvious to the likes of DunnFC, and the moron sat behind be on Saturday?

Besides, the article is about finding more quality to break down defensive teams at home. The only people who could argue with the necessity of that, must be quite entangled in their own personal agenda! 

Just now, Biz said:

How can someone’s opinion be totally disproven by one game?

That's the only game we've got to go on because that's the only one he started. Mowbray said he couldn't defend, my point was he didn't need to because there wasn't much to defend against in this league. I'm not sure if you attend games but if someone turns up at Ewood with a touch of quality/pace/skill in their attacking play I'm genuinely surprised.

So, anyway, based on the available data Mowbray was 100% wrong about Chapman...and wrong when he changed from Nuttall 'hasn't got the attributes' for the league to Nuttall has 'all the attributes' after he played and scored because Samuel was suspended.

As for the article, yes it was about Mowbray wanting another quality addition in the attacking areas. Agreed. The real contention, however,  is whether he would play him. He doidn't with Chapman.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

That's the only game we've got to go on because that's the only one he started. Mowbray said he couldn't defend, my point was he didn't need to because there wasn't much to defend against in this league. I'm not sure if you attend games but if someone turns up at Ewood with a touch of quality/pace/skill in their attacking play I'm genuinely surprised.

So, anyway, based on the available data Mowbray was 100% wrong about Chapman...and wrong when he changed from Nuttall 'hasn't got the attributes' for the league to Nuttall has 'all the attributes' after he played and scored because Samuel was suspended.

As for the article, yes it was about Mowbray wanting another quality addition in the attacking areas. Agreed. The real contention, however,  is whether he would play him. He doidn't with Chapman.

I’d argue you can see his pro’s and con’s from the other appearances, more than just the one start, and whilst I’d agree on the notion that we haven’t faced much to defend against, it’s not always creativity/pace/invention that creates a goal, it’s a mistake or lack of concentration. Also, the factor of having his pace to come on against tired legs makes him more dangerous IMO.

As for Nuttall, I don’t particularly take notice of every quote so I’ll trust you if he back tracked on what he said. I still see why he shouldn’t have been rushed in though, but I also think the lad deserves credit for swimming as opposed to sinking! Playing upfront isn’t just about scoring goals, and I have to say I’ve been impressed by his work rate and positioning for a novice. Still got a long way to go though.

51 minutes ago, Biz said:

I’d argue you can see his pro’s and con’s from the other appearances, more than just the one start, and whilst I’d agree on the notion that we haven’t faced much to defend against, it’s not always creativity/pace/invention that creates a goal, it’s a mistake or lack of concentration. Also, the factor of having his pace to come on against tired legs makes him more dangerous IMO.

As for Nuttall, I don’t particularly take notice of every quote so I’ll trust you if he back tracked on what he said. I still see why he shouldn’t have been rushed in though, but I also think the lad deserves credit for swimming as opposed to sinking! Playing upfront isn’t just about scoring goals, and I have to say I’ve been impressed by his work rate and positioning for a novice. Still got a long way to go though.

Nuttall's currently playing for an improvement to his current contract so he's on his 'A' game at this moment in time which asks what will he be like when's he's secured this improved contract . 

On 19/11/2017 at 14:59, Mike E said:

Jones club debut was v Nottm Forest in League Cup. He was MoM in a dire 1-0 victory that featured a Benni McCarthy cross-shot free kick goal. Your right in that managers like Allardyce use the team to funnel opposition attacks into the space in front where he can attack the ball.

Archived