BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 3

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MGPensioner said:

Under Williams and Walker we would have signed Rooney.

It's a very long time since we were competitive at the top level in the transfer market. Under Williams and Jack Walker we might have been attempting to sign Wayne Rooney. Under Williams and the Walker Trust we'd have been more likely to be landing his brother John who plays for Guiseley.

6 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'm not negative,  just realistic. 7 years of this poo has made me this way

hey I thought this is a transfers thread

much as I dislike Venky's incompetence in taking our club down, there are a number who need to be realistic. we aren't in the premiership, we aren't in the championship. we are in f-ing League 1. expectations of signings should be tampered. anyone thinking some billionaire's gonna hanker after a League One club with over a hundred million pounds in debt (read that again please, and if you still think our Rovers will be an attractive business proposition, read the above again please) with a fragmented fanbase is seriously deluded. sure we can complain about venkys getting us here but this is where we are now (sadly, yes I know). be realistic, and we can only hope for the best...or, you can support another, preferably premiership, club 

• Backroom
8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It's a very long time since we were competitive at the top level in the transfer market. Under Williams and Jack Walker we might have been attempting to sign Wayne Rooney. Under Williams and the Walker Trust we'd have been more likely to be landing his brother John who plays for Guiseley.

I reckon we'd have enquired about Rooney this summer had we been in a similar position as 2008-Rovers.

8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Bellamy, McCarthy, Santa Cruz, give them their due they delivered long after Jack had gone until someone somewhere decided it was time to get rid.

9 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Bellamy, McCarthy, Santa Cruz, give them their due they delivered long after Jack had gone until someone somewhere decided it was time to get rid.

All those players whilst in hindsight were 'major' signings and big names were all on the 'scrapheap' for want of a better word when we picked them up. McCarthy was struggling to nail down a place with Porto, Bellamy was out of favour at Newcastle and had been on loan at Celtic the season before and Santa Cruz had started to go stale at Bayern and wanted a change.

Great business for all 3 yes when we consider we got the lot for about £12 million and sold them for double that but at the time of bringing them in they weren't really highly sought after players. They were, like Bentley, players who had undoubted quality but issues which had prevented them performing and who needed a change of scenery and a decent manager to whip them back into shape.

I credit Hughes for targeting them and working with them and Williams for backing his judgment, not the Trust who swiftly cashed in on them, made a substantial profit and then refused to reinvest the proceeds into quality replacements, forcing Hughes to move on and making Allardyce's job harder than it needed to be.

16 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Nor should it as it was all probably so unnecessary initially then appointing Coyle was another catastrophic error resulting in a 2nd relegation.

However we are where we are. I desperately miss those 3 years between 92 and 95 when Uncle Jack and a younger vibrant King Kenny were at the helm and we were wiping the floor with all before us. I wish Jack's family had shared his passion for the Club and had never sold to the Rao's.

I also wish I owned a Ferrari. However I dont and they did so such is life sometimes.

I wish I owned a Ferrari?

Never been interested in cars, but I demand that the people who own my football club are who they say they are and that they run this precious club for the right reasons.

I also demand that they put a proper structure in place.

As for Cheston's barefaced lies and insults to my intelligence, you can probably guess my feelings.....

Coyle a catastrophic error? I am not so sure, Rev. People might even start recycling the one about Venky's just being badly advised....

16 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I wish Jack's family had shared his passion for the Club and had never sold to the Rao's.

I also wish I owned a Ferrari. However I dont and they did so such is life sometimes.

The difference being that if you had the money to buy a Ferrari then that would be your decision. If a family member left you a fortune but insisted none of that money be used to buy a car then it wouldn't be.

The Walker Trust received their money and instructions from Jack Walker. It wasn't their decision to make. It is irrelevant whether they enjoyed football or not. He left them his estate with very clear, possibly legally binding, instructions in terms of what to do with his interests when he died. If my dad left me a successful business with funding in place and instructions to keep it operating for the foreseeable future I couldn't just dump it because I couldn't be bothered with it.

35 minutes ago, JHRover said:

All those players whilst in hindsight were 'major' signings and big names were all on the 'scrapheap' for want of a better word when we picked them up. McCarthy was struggling to nail down a place with Porto, Bellamy was out of favour at Newcastle and had been on loan at Celtic the season before and Santa Cruz had started to go stale at Bayern and wanted a change.

Great business for all 3 yes when we consider we got the lot for about £12 million and sold them for double that but at the time of bringing them in they weren't really highly sought after players. They were, like Bentley, players who had undoubted quality but issues which had prevented them performing and who needed a change of scenery and a decent manager to whip them back into shape.

I credit Hughes for targeting them and working with them and Williams for backing his judgment, not the Trust who swiftly cashed in on them, made a substantial profit and then refused to reinvest the proceeds into quality replacements, forcing Hughes to move on and making Allardyce's job harder than it needed to be.

Point being the backers backed the manager with big money when called upon as they always did under Williams until family greed or bad advice from the trust main man took over and they slammed the vault shut and prepared for a sale.

A good and sustainable football/business model went to pot almost overnight  and set in motion a chain of events that led to where we are now, shame on the lot of them !

28 minutes ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

JLowe has joined Birmingham..ah well

His agent has finally found him another champ that'll stump up daft wages then, one that just 'appens to be managed by Arry :lol:

Just now, tomphil said:

His agent has finally found him another champ that'll stump up daft wages then, one that just 'appens to be managed by Arry :lol:

Looks like they have only trusted him, to the tune of a one year deal. Not too sure if the wages and signing on fee, mean he takes a drop form last years Income, but there is a strong possibility.

49 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I wish I owned a Ferrari?

Never been interested in cars, but I demand that the people who own my football club are who they say they are and that they run this precious club for the right reasons.

I also demand that they put a proper structure in place.

As for Cheston's barefaced lies and insults to my intelligence, you can probably guess my feelings.....

Coyle a catastrophic error? I am not so sure, Rev. People might even start recycling the one about Venky's just being badly advised....

You can demand all you want sunshine, your opinion, whether you like it or not, is completely irrelevant to the running of the club.

1 hour ago, lraC said:

Looks like they have only trusted him, to the tune of a one year deal. Not too sure if the wages and signing on fee, mean he takes a drop form last years Income, but there is a strong possibility.

I would think so but I bet he's on 10k at least, anyway good luck to him although I doubt he'll be more than a squad man. Some Brummies seem to think they've signed a lower level Tugay judging by the comments it just goes to show how things on paper and things on the pitch don't add up.

Debut in Prem as a youngster, England U21 captain, Blackburn Rovers captain with about 100 champ games under his belt......... Sounds a belter !

Genuinely wish him well though he'll be an excellent squad man in a half decent well managed champ team.

25 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Are you an employee?

Nope a poet.

There once was a man called dack,

Who couldn't stop emptying his sack,

His best mate was there,

But he didn't care, 

He carried on with the attack.

Note this is a fictional situation about a fictional man. All names used are for rhyming purposes only.

55 minutes ago, Boaty said:

You can demand all you want sunshine, your opinion, whether you like it or not, is completely irrelevant to the running of the club.

What a troll-like remark. Supporters are the life-blood of any club. Arrogant owners and know alls with a dodgy agenda and a loose mouth should feck off and leave football to those who actually care about it.

1 hour ago, Boaty said:

Nope a poet.

There once was a man called dack,

Who couldn't stop emptying his sack,

His best mate was there,

But he didn't care, 

He carried on with the attack.

Note this is a fictional situation about a fictional man. All names used are for rhyming purposes only.

I'd ban this idiot if I were in charge. 

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

I would think so but I bet he's on 10k at least, anyway good luck to him although I doubt he'll be more than a squad man. Some Brummies seem to think they've signed a lower level Tugay judging by the comments it just goes to show how things on paper and things on the pitch don't add up.

Debut in Prem as a youngster, England U21 captain, Blackburn Rovers captain with about 100 champ games under his belt......... Sounds a belter !

Genuinely wish him well though he'll be an excellent squad man in a half decent well managed champ team.

Only if they utilise him at full back. In midfield....... well we've seen the result. Genuinely delighted with this. That's them screwed if they do make him their linchpin in midfield.

Archived