BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers best Foreign 18

glen9mullan

First time in my life i have heard someone say tugay was crap. He was a fruckin genious. Probably the best midfielder rovers have ever had and likely to be the best we will ever seen again in a rovers shirt. He could do things with the ball very few midfielders could. Who ever dissed him needs a guide dog

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, matt83 said:

Here's a question for some of the older chaps. How was it Rovers ended up with players like Duncan Mackenzie rocking up for us in div 3. And the likes of Steve archibold and ardiles in div2? And in spite the Venkys could we attract a gem now?

I'm sure the old man said Archibold insisted on the number 8 jersey as we had a reputation for finishing number 9s careers. And Ardiles time at us was cut short by a hatchet job on him by Nicky Marker (who we subsequently signed) when he was at Plymouth. Don't know how accurate that is or urban myth.

I believe Uncle Jack secretly financed the Archibald/Ardiles loan moves. That Nicky Marker tackle on wee Ossie was an absolute shocker and would have been considered so in the Blackburn Combination, never mind in professional football. I would be amazed if the Archibald number 8 story is true - but I do know he was head and shoulders the best player we had during that era. His first touch, movement and finishing were sublime. A Billy Big Boots he certainly wasn't.

As for Duncan, I can only surmise that his reputation for being a lazy fecker put the top clubs off buying him, but meadows might be able to provide more info on that one.

8 hours ago, Dreyski said:

If we're going off all-time achievements, I'd have to pick:

Friedel

Salgado - P. Andersson - Babbel - Givet

Djorkaeff - Tugay - Ardiles - Duff

Santa Cruz - McCarthy

Subs: N.Gomes, Basturk, Baggio, Berg, Ooijer, Sukur, Vogel

Friedel apart, Domestic and European titles throughout the squad, and a couple of World Cups in there as well.

There's a case for Ooijer ahead of Givet (Though I don't think the former was natural left-back) and Kalinic might well be in contention in a few years.

I think there's maybe a case for him in front of him front of Andersson too. I know he played for some massive clubs, but I always viewed him as a bit part player in good teams, whereas Ooijer was good enough to captain his country, despite being at 2nd tier clubs like PSV & us at the time. 

Friedel

Amoruso

Nelson               Pedersen. T 

Neill                                                  Valery

Mokoena

Salgado                Marcolin

Ostenstad

For those who will no doubt moan about the non-inclusion of Tugay, he's not tall enough nor frankly hard enough to get in my team.

I'm fully aware there's only ten of them, Sebastian Perez has already been sent off..

27 minutes ago, Batman. said:

Friedel

Amoruso

Nelson               Pedersen. T 

Neill                                                  Valery

Mokoena

Salgado                Marcolin

Ostenstad

For those who will no doubt moan about the non-inclusion of Tugay, he's not tall enough nor frankly hard enough to get in my team.

I'm fully aware there's only ten of them, Sebastian Perez has already been sent off..

I'm would honestly struggle to make a worse 11 sorry ten than That

43 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I'm would honestly struggle to make a worse 11 sorry ten than That

Challenge ACCEPTED.

Enckelman

Ribeiro a/k/a Irwin Henrique Yann Songo'o Bruno Berner

Fode Koita  Petrovic  Amine Linganzi   Vukcevic 

Maceo @#/? Rigters    Sinama-Pongolle

Bench: Any of the portugeezers, Villanueva, Yordi, Petshi, Kazim-Richards, Jordi Gomez, Jackson and just for being an absolute rat Hoilett

Oh, did someone mention Grabbi?

50 minutes ago, Batman. said:

Just the 20 L&B we got for Emerton.

That should tempt Simon Garner then. We'll just write "Garnier" on his shirt.

Friedel 

Nelsen Neill Ooijer

Salgado Gresko (Loan Version)

Nzonzi/Jermaine Jones Tugay Berkovic

Santa Cruz McCarthy Rochina

I would have a place for Henning Berg based on overall achievement ahead of Neill but I watched those above as its more my era.

Subs:

Filan, Berg, Emerton, Givet, MGP, Kuqi, Kalinic

4 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Challenge ACCEPTED.

Enckelman

Ribeiro a/k/a Irwin Henrique Yann Songo'o Bruno Berner

Fode Koita  Petrovic  Amine Linganzi   Vukcevic 

Maceo @#/? Rigters    Sinama-Pongolle

Bench: Any of the portugeezers, Villanueva, Yordi, Petshi, Kazim-Richards, Jordi Gomez, Jackson and just for being an absolute rat Hoilett

Oh, did someone mention Grabbi?

You missed Herold Goulon from that team. 

10 hours ago, BRFC4EVA said:

Whats the definition of foreign here? Are we meaning non British Isles players as surely Duff would be in there??

I noted his nationality but felt that Marcolin would give my team more defensive cover on corners.

• Guest changed the title to Rovers best Foreign 18

Archived