BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preston and Blackburn swap deal

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

There are plenty on here who say Rhodes was pants.

I think the cash was trousered.

My complaint regarding Rhodes is we paid well over the odds for a player who we then couldn't fit into a coherent system of play. Not his fault but whoever scouted him needed a seat that faced the pitch.

i only had to see him play once to see he lacked any sort of pace and aggression.

49 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That goal would be beyond Rhodes because he couldn't run away from anybody that far out from goal.

It would and Garner had a box of tricks up his sleeve but to be fair if you watched Rhodes goals back he did have an uncanny knack of getting between the back two and gaining a yard or two then going on and scoring despite his cronic lack of quick exceleration.

Often done when he was the only striker on.

26 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

My complaint regarding Rhodes is we paid well over the odds for a player who we then couldn't fit into a coherent system of play. Not his fault but whoever scouted him needed a seat that faced the pitch.

i only had to see him play once to see he lacked any sort of pace and aggression.

He scored for fun though and it mean that Shebby didn't have to carry out his threat to GM.

Just now, tomphil said:

It would and Garner had a box of tricks up his sleeve but to be fair if you watched Rhodes goals back he did have an uncanny knack of getting between the back two and gaining a yard or two then going on and scoring despite his cronic lack of quick exceleration.

He was what I would call a clever striker, or what others call, a fox in the box.

26 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Yeah you couldn't fault his uncanny ability to find space in the box and his ability to take advantage of  ball watching defenders. His right footed touch was excellent, left foot was a bit weak. He was very calm in scoring situations and never tried to burst the net when a firm side foot shot would do. Not a good header of the ball for a tallish guy. 

In the old days of twin strikers like Pickering and McEvoy he would have thrived. He didn't have the tools to play up front on his own but that's how most teams play today.

6 hours ago, Biz said:

We scored more goals last year with no rhodes than the season before with rhodes for half a season but still finished below.

I'm probably old fashioned but I believe that keepers should keep the ball of the net, defenders should defend our goal, midfielders should win the ball and keep it and strikers should score goals.

If Rhodes did his bit - which he did - then others could focus on their own jobs. Once he left they had to all start chipping in. More opportunities for the opposition to exploit.

It's time we moved on but I wish people would stop blaming Rhodes for all our ills when (factually) we were worse off without him.

Bloody channels!

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

I'm probably old fashioned but I believe that keepers should keep the ball of the net, defenders should defend our goal, midfielders should win the ball and keep it and strikers should score goals.

If Rhodes did his bit - which he did - then others could focus on their own jobs. Once he left they had to all start chipping in. More opportunities for the opposition to exploit.

It's time we moved on but I wish people would stop blaming Rhodes for all our ills when (factually) we were worse off without him.

Bloody channels!

Nobody is blaming rhodes, you are just so precious about him, whenever you see his name and instantly go on the defensive. I merely stated we scored more goals the season after he went AND still got relegated! Showing that it's complete nonsense to suggest the two are somehow directly related (selling rhodes and relegation)

Its often my main gripe with football fans - everything has to be so black and white. I loved Rhodes as a player, I thought his positives greatly outweighed the cons, however I'd always just use Burnley's championship or other examples as "teams", built on good investments, a more sensible wage budget and less percentage of investment shoehorned into one outlet.

Rhodes was a fantastic striker when we needed a proper structure for direction, an able manager, and a more soundly built squad.

Judging the two only in a rovers shirt ( and as far as im concerned thats all that matters) rhodes wins hands down for me. Graham has all the attributes to be the better player but you can't argue with Rhodes goal return. Rhodes got alot of stick for not contributing enough to the team performance when he wasn't scoring and I was guilty of chipping in with that but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Graham has the ability to hold the ball up and be involved in the build up play but often goes missing regardless. Whilst Graham has the overall attributes to be the better of the two his attitude and desire and ultimately his goal return is not on the same level as Rhodes. To consistently score the amount of goals he did season after season with all that was going on is impressive. If Graham was the same he would walk into a league 1 side where he sadly wastes his talent on a bench behind a kid from Leeds

On 8/31/2017 at 21:22, Biz said:

Rhodes was a fantastic striker when we needed a proper structure for direction, an able manager, and a more soundly built squad.

Bang on!.

How much more could we have achieved with that same £8 million and the size of those wages, if we used them to build a structured squad!.

However, perhaps they wouldn't have spent that money on the squad.

Also, the reported process of how Shebby targeted Rhodes and "managed" the negotiation with Huddersfield alarmed me at the time.

On 31/08/2017 at 13:40, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Without him in our first season after relegation we'd have gone down, despite his limations his goal record for us was brilliant and he was a top professional as well. Don't know why any rovers fan would say a bad word about Rhodes. 

11 hours ago, mhead said:

We sign Rhodes from Huddersfield 4 years ago.....and 4 years later they are near the top of the Prem and we are half-way in League 3.

Is this a sick joke? Its like a game of Snakes and Ladders with all the ladders removed.

Sick joke, indeed. They had only just been promoted as well.

I did hear that the Huddersfield chairman couldn't believe his luck with Shebby. It feels like they used the £8 million to build their own promotion to the premier league. 

What we could have done with a structure and a manager fit for purpose!

What a horrible lesson in how not to manage a relegation with parachute money!

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

I did hear that the Huddersfield chairman couldn't believe his luck with Shebby. It feels like they used the £8 million to build their own promotion to the premier league. 

Criminal really. The advantage we had over Huddersfield ought to have been insurmountable. Parachute cash, Premier League pedigree, facilities, fanbase - they couldn't get near us - yet through shrewd astute management they've got themselves into the top flight whilst we've ended up here whilst spending countless millions more than them.

Just now, JHRover said:

Criminal really. The advantage we had over Huddersfield ought to have been insurmountable. Parachute cash, Premier League pedigree, facilities, fanbase - they couldn't get near us - yet through shrewd astute management they've got themselves into the top flight whilst we've ended up here whilst spending countless millions more than them.

Yep. Huddersfield's promotion certainly rubbed salt in the wounds. And that issue with their team selection against Birmingham added the proverbial vinegar sponge!

18 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Bang on!.

How much more could we have achieved with that same £8 million and the size of those wages, if we used them to build a structured squad!.

However, perhaps they wouldn't have spent that money on the squad.

Also, the reported process of how Shebby targeted Rhodes and "managed" the negotiation with Huddersfield alarmed me at the time.

I seem to remember a Snake Kean interview where he said he didn't know anything about Rhodes. I may have dreamt it up. He certainly knew nothing about the Portuguese lads, other than his remit was to "fatten their value"...

Got to agree though LH. We spent more in that season we nearly achieved back to back relegations than most teams who'd been promoted recently (at that point). The failure certainly wasn't financial imo.

55 minutes ago, Biz said:

I seem to remember a Snake Kean interview where he said he didn't know anything about Rhodes. I may have dreamt it up. He certainly knew nothing about the Portuguese lads, other than his remit was to "fatten their value"...

Got to agree though LH. We spent more in that season we nearly achieved back to back relegations than most teams who'd been promoted recently (at that point). The failure certainly wasn't financial imo.

I always remember the mysterious DJ Campbell signing (I think when Appleton was manager). He was sat in Hull, terms agreed, waiting for his medical when he got the call from Rovers and suddenly ditched Hull & Steve Bruce (at the time pushing for automatic promotion) to come to Rovers (struggling at the wrong end).

I dread to think what kind of financial 'package' we must have offered to entice him away from Hull at the 11th hour and turn his back on a promotion winning campaign to join the circus here. Hull weren't exactly thrifty in their approach yet our offer must have blown them out of the water. Rumours that we offered him £25k a week compared to their £16k a week.

I think it was so late in the day that we had to sign him on loan with a permanent deal set up for the summer.

As expected we ended up giving him a nice fat pay-off after he contributed naff all to the cause.

Of course these things are all in the past now. Painful lessons learned by the owners. Costly mistakes made but won't happen again. Then we see Anthony Stokes turning up on a 3 year deal and most people know how it is going to unfold. Another pay off.

I could accept/buy into the lack of money stories we hear repeatedly coming out of the club or that they were determined to ensure the past didn't repeat itself with Campbell/Best/Etuhu but unfortunately there's no evidence whatsoever that any lessons have been learned by the owners or their associates, or even that they want to learn any lessons. Stokes alone is evidence of that.

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I always remember the mysterious DJ Campbell signing (I think when Appleton was manager). He was sat in Hull, terms agreed, waiting for his medical when he got the call from Rovers and suddenly ditched Hull & Steve Bruce (at the time pushing for automatic promotion) to come to Rovers (struggling at the wrong end).

I dread to think what kind of financial 'package' we must have offered to entice him away from Hull at the 11th hour and turn his back on a promotion winning campaign to join the circus here. Hull weren't exactly thrifty in their approach yet our offer must have blown them out of the water. Rumours that we offered him £25k a week compared to their £16k a week.

I think it was so late in the day that we had to sign him on loan with a permanent deal set up for the summer.

As expected we ended up giving him a nice fat pay-off after he contributed naff all to the cause.

Of course these things are all in the past now. Painful lessons learned by the owners. Costly mistakes made but won't happen again. Then we see Anthony Stokes turning up on a 3 year deal and most people know how it is going to unfold. Another pay off.

I could accept/buy into the lack of money stories we hear repeatedly coming out of the club or that they were determined to ensure the past didn't repeat itself with Campbell/Best/Etuhu but unfortunately there's no evidence whatsoever that any lessons have been learned by the owners or their associates, or even that they want to learn any lessons. Stokes alone is evidence of that.

See Stokes comes along with another name though - Coyle. We both know that its easy to perceive the main problem as that big "gap" between the owners of the club and the actual club. That area (vacuum) where agents, hangers on, "consultants" and global advisors can get in, have a word and change a decision.

Hence why those two tie in together - Coyle came straight out of the same book, even has contributed quotes in support of our previous agent friend. 

Do I think the owners are skint? No. I think they are stupid though. I have come to that conclusion well before "tony mowbray phones balaji"... Do I think they could be potentially had again? Because (if you go off the face of it) they've never benefitted from owning the club. Its not hard to see them doing the same thing again.

On the other hand, there are definite periods (specifically under GB) when it would be hard to argue that we made expensive mistakes. Hopefully, for both our sakes, I hope this lot under Tony fall into a similar bracket.

9 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

The Rhodes money was bonus money - we got it back, and he saved us from relegation, scored bagfuls of goals and was a talisman for the kids.

How not to spend parachute money is Etuhu and Murphy and paying off our best players like Salgado et al.

13 hours ago, Stuart said:

The Rhodes money was bonus money - we got it back, and he saved us from relegation, scored bagfuls of goals and was a talisman for the kids.

How not to spend parachute money is Etuhu and Murphy and paying off our best players like Salgado et al.

I agree 99%.

I would only say that the fee to Huddersfield was way, way over the top. The only reason he had to save us from relegation ( which I believe he did) was the criminal waste and poor thought that went into "rebuilding" the team.

29 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I agree 99%.

I would only say that the fee to Huddersfield was way, way over the top. The only reason he had to save us from relegation ( which I believe he did) was the criminal waste and poor thought that went into "rebuilding" the team.

Bowyer saved us from relegation.  Rhodes didn't pick the team or devise the game plan each week.

Archived