BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Roverseas previews Bristol Rovers (H) 25.11.17

J*B

Just now, den9112 said:

Roy Vernon, i spent some time in his house when i was younger ,his house IIRC was near the Blackburn infirmary and what i do recall his he had Gold plated bath taps 

I never saw him play for Rovers, I just got started more or less as he left. I saw him play for Everton lots of times. One of the best penalty takers I ever saw when he was playing for them.

It's snowing over here in Rochdale , what's it like in Blackburn ?

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I never saw him play for Rovers, I just got started more or less as he left. I saw him play for Everton lots of times. One of the best penalty takers I ever saw when he was playing for them.

It's snowing over here in Rochdale , what's it like in Blackburn ?

It has snowed overnight at the top end of Darwen but the forecast is rain imminently then dry late morning and more rain as we approach kick off. I'd be amazed if there is any doubt about the game going ahead.

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It has snowed overnight at the top end of Darwen but the forecast is rain imminently then dry late morning and more rain as we approach kick off. I'd be amazed if there is any doubt about the game going ahead.

Suns out at the moment. Hope its still out come 445pm :rover:

23 hours ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

i am actually starting to prefer Whittingham there, but he too hasn't been outstanding. Probably give Harper a run?

I think Whittingham can be afforded in the side alongside Smallwood. He seems to be far more of a string-puller than Evans, so in that respect, Whittingham and Smallwood complement each other very well. Evans looks like he hasn't recovered from his injuries; he's usually better than what I've seen of him this season.

As for Harper, I think he's still to mature as a player. Based on what West Brom fans were saying, it sounded like we'd caught a good 'un, but he's been somewhat of a liability from what I've seen of him. Probably needs more game time to prove us wrong.

I really hope Im wrong but Ive a funny feeling we will get turned over. Over confidence at home and the low ability to break down stubborn teams ( hence the record V lower teams) plus our amazing run has got to end soon....isnt that what you get for being a Rovers fan high expectations dashed ?

0-1. 

But I will love to be wrong and we keep chipping away at the front runners.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There used to be much more of those types of scores back then. Much more emphasis on attacking than there was on defending. It was a form of entertainment then and not a business.

Its good business not to be boring. Clubs like WBA and Stoke could take some tips. Not just about attractive football either but "thinking outside the box" as I did to the extreme when suggesting Maradona in August 2010.

I guess people will say they would rather be boring than endure what's happened the past few years but I don't think being boring has any excuse. As you say its an entertainment business and while I don't mind some discipline on the field (scores like 8-3 are ridiculous and should happen once every 20 years for a club) attacking football is good. What I like though is ruthless football (not showboating around) and whether that means ruthless defending or ruthless attacking its good either way. 

17 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

Its good business not to be boring. Clubs like WBA and Stoke could take some tips.

I'm not sure where you were when Venkys took over, but you do recall the consequences of the decision to replace "boring" football with "exciting" football, don't you?

With Wigan away at Rotherham and Shrewsbury at home to Bradford, it wouldn't be hard to imagine those two dropping points today. We've been here this season where we pick up a few great results then lose at home to Wimbledon or draw with Plymouth. Today's game is massive, simply has too be 3 points COYB

1 minute ago, Butty said:

With Wigan away at Rotherham and Shrewsbury at home to Bradford, it wouldn't be hard to imagine those two dropping points today.

Rotherham and Bradford have both lost 3 of their last 6. Based on form, the likely outcomes are wins for Wigan and Shrewsbury. Ideally, Rotherham beating Wigan and a draw between Bradford and Shrewsbury would be good.

Just now, Suhail Slayer said:

smashing the league again...

heightened delusion presently

reality will prove those of us with any sense to be correct

failure this season in play offs

miss play offs next year

mid table a couple of seasons

just stay up

just go down

new grounds, badly advised, get behind lads ffs

WAKEY WAKEY

You've started early. I take it your local 'Offey' had some good Black Friday deals.

42 minutes ago, Phil T said:

I'm not sure where you were when Venkys took over, but you do recall the consequences of the decision to replace "boring" football with "exciting" football, don't you?

No I've never heard people talk about Allardyce being fired. :rolleyes: I remember the consequences of replacing him with an idiot rather than someone better with an image more suited to my vision. The club didn't even get relegated in 2011 there was plenty of time to rectify things but they didn't.

Taking a few risks does not mean killing a club especially if the owners can stabalise things. Something Venkys haven't done with that debt that could come crashing down at any moment they please. At the time Syed hadn't been exposed and I just had an outlandish idea with Maradona at the time having supposedly having expressed interest in the Villa job. I wouldn't have suggested appointing any old nutjob or a celebrity manager though.

Its supposed to be some kind of escapism though I don't like referring to it as a "hobby". Some like Grayson but he's miserable looking and uninspiring is that the face of the club people want? Same with that Davies who quite a few people thought would be a good choice in the past. Unpleasant man and permanently looks like he's swallowed a wasp. Why the hell Rangers would have wanted him when they have already been as low as they are ever going to be goodness knows? If I was there I would do anything to get Maradona there or some other kind of huge name. They wouldn't have to sign Messi to win the SPL but that weirdo Joe Garner (not there anymore admittedly) what sort of marketing presence has he got?

13 minutes ago, Suhail Slayer said:

You forgot to mention that you agree BB.

7 years of destruction continuing

No change

I don't agree with the delusion or whether anyone will be proved correct at the end of the season. Whoever said Venky's would be a disaster were proven 'correct' a long time ago. That argument is settled.

Today, though, I'm off to 'get behind the lads FFS' and hope we win and move closer to the Top 2 because anything other than promotion this season will be an utter disaster.

You ok with that?

Same again please Rovers.

7 goals in the last 2 games has me thinking we are due a low score 1-0 win.

It's gonna be a cold one on Ewood this afternoon so thermals are a consideration.

COYB

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Much as I liked Maradona as a player I'm afraid he would have joined the quite long list of great players who weren't a success in management. Nothing he's done subsequently would disprove that. The list of real greats who became great managers is a pretty short list.

Yes well I'm not blind to the criticism he received as Argentina manager especially from a tactical standpoint. In the summer there would have been plenty of time to rectify the situation if the results were so awful he had to go. I would have tried surrounding with a LOT of support staff if the first couple of results were poor and if he was offended he could leave. The publicity would have been immense and it would have been outlandish given his reputation in this country. Controversy in some cases creates cash. In November 2010 I was OK with Allardyce staying until the end of the season though that thrashing at Old Trafford probably would have made me pull the trigger. So I'm not sure what I would have done maybe bring in a caretaker (not Kean though initially I thought that was all he would be) or go for a bigger name who was better than Allardyce but not completely outlandish. You have to remember I'm thinking from the standpoint of a wealthy owner and Syed was talking about spending 300 million. That FUP garbage probably wouldn't have helped in retrospect.

You have to remember though in Dec 2010 some people on here who are usually a bit "humdrum" couldn't help saying they were excited by Maradona talk. Others hated it of course. Of course in the summer I never imagined he would actually be linked (nobody agreed with me at that time) but it was funny to see a few people actually liking the idea when it was speculated.

I don't think Harper is ready. I thought he was poor on Tuesday and was a major contributor to a poor second half. He lost the ball several times and dallied on the ball, he looked like an U-23 player. He is young and may come good in time but I thought TM's point about not playing our own youngsters was that it was a risk and that they might need time we don't have to give them. From what little I've seen Tomlinson looks the readier of the two and now he has a new contract I'd like to see him on the bench.                    

It was particularly noticeable that there's been a change in approach by TM prior to the Oxford game listening to him on the radio and rovers player.  He mentioned imposing ourselves on the opposition and even talked down Oxford despite them winning the previous game well, it's much better to hear this and it has been evident in the way the team has approached the game on the front foot. Again on the radio before this game, he talked of a change of approach over the past month.   

I think this more positive attitude is hugely important to the season and if we really go for it we can get automatic promotion still, hopefully, the last two games are evidence that TM is learning and we will be on the front foot for the rest of the season.

IF we start as we did in the last game and really go at them in the first 20-30 minutes we should be able to win the match and if we need to be patient we have the quality to score.  Dack, as is beginning to look usual, is the key man, I'd be happy with any of Graham ( who I still believe in) Samuel or Nuttall who've all looked lively recently.

5 minutes ago, Suhail Slayer said:

OK but wrap up BB, looks cold out.

clapping will warm your hands ?

I am giving it a miss until Venkys leave. I admit it pi55es me off.

Enjoy the game !

Cheers! If we lose I'm going to wave my soiled thermals above my head in protest like they do in Spain with white handkerchiefs.

Put an extra bar on the fire if you're stopping in;)

Get the feeling it's going to be another goal fest for the fans this afternoon, Bristol Rovers score a few but concede a few in the process.

Confidence is growing in our camp, players are getting used to each other and the manager seems to be getting close to his settled 11.

Blackburn Rovers 3 fake rovers 1

• Backroom

Rich sharpe says Mowbray has been discussing playing Whittingham out wide, hope he's better than he has been thus far as every time he's gone out wide he's drifted out of the game totally 

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Rich sharpe says Mowbray has been discussing playing Whittingham out wide, hope he's better than he has been thus far as every time he's gone out wide he's drifted out of the game totally 

:mellow: Mowbray is a little tinker.

Archived