BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Charlton

Couldn't care less what music is being played as long as it's not too loud. The fashion is for music to be played at ear splitting level these days no matter what the surroundings. Once you let the DJ/ bar staff etc decide the music policy  for any establishment you're on a slippery slope. I've lost count of the number of social functions I've been to that have been ruined by the DJ. You can speak to the person on either side of you and that's it, nobody else can hear a thing you say. The guy at Rochdale is a classic example. He sounds like a complete dip stick who's just in it for his own ego.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, meadows said:

If your experience of football is enhanced by what music you associate with it, lovely. I can’t say it’s ever bothered or affected me at Ewood in the slightest  ...apart from spending a few seasons sitting next to Dave Sweetmore at Rochdale and enjoying his selections,  not to mention even suggesting a couple of obscurities to him it’s not something I’ve devotedzant thought to 

Personally I couldn’t recall what was playing when we got promoted in 75 or 79, won the FMC to in 1987 or what played Before or after games in any season between 1991 and 1995. 

I was in Italy more or less the duration of Italia 90 so any enthusiasm for New Order passed me by I’m afraid.- as it has done  at any stage I’ve been on UK soil since “Everything’s Gone Green” and “Ceremony” 

I bet you can recall what was playing at the end of the play off final at Selhurst Park!

Reading come out to Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond which seems to be well received by their fans. Arsenal have The Wonder of You by Elvis, West Ham have Bubbles, Stoke come out to a song made for their League Cup final appearance called We'll Be With You, Norwich have On The Ball City and there are many, many more. Who can forget Football's Coming Home from Euro 96?

If we had a club 'anthem' it would be much better but over the years we have had all genres of music which doesn't suit everyone. Personally it doesn't really bother me.

Basically until we get back to the Premier League we are always going to struggle for atmosphere, as Ewood will rarely be more than 1/2 or 2/3 full and even when it is people aren't going to get 'up for it' playing against the likes of Derby and Reading in the 2nd division or Bristol Rovers in the 3rd division.

Playing PNE, Burnley or Bolton may take care of itself as will full houses vs Liverpool or United but the majority of the time it won't and on those occasions other things need to be tried.

I'm trying to suggest ways the club can improve the noise levels and atmosphere at Ewood without a magic wand of adding 10,000 to our attendances. Simply turning the volume up a bit and having some more imagination with the music selection and pre-match routine rather than the same old stuff we've had for 20 years might work. It might not but it falls on someone at the club to try something rather than just say 'oh the atmosphere these days is rubbish' and carry on just doing the same thing.

• Backroom

Remember for a brief period in the 90s when we played this before a match:

Well not that version but I can't find the original, not that it's much better!

Speaking of the 90's can we go back to playing Simply the Best after a win?

3 hours ago, meadows said:

I was born in 1991 so I’ve always found it a bit bizarre whenever I read about the tribalism of the 70’s and 80’s people just didn’t get along with each other did they? Sounds bloody rubbish to me. Was it really E’s and raves that changed the attitudes of the young from then on? Was still a Conservative government until 97 wasn’t it. What was the social change that caused everyone to stop battering each other?

33 minutes ago, Tom said:

Remember for a brief period in the 90s when we played this before a match:

Well not that version but I can't find the original, not that it's much better!

Van Halen - Jump

Just now, meadows said:

Yes after all you wouldn’t want to be thought of as someone who’d make a gratuitous and ill-informed and I must say utterly cowardly personal attack on a smashing lad who’s a mate of mine and a perfectly decent human being would you? 

I did want to leave it at that but if you insist - it was his behaviour regarding the way he left the  Rochdale job and then decided he wanted the job back that left a bad taste in a lot of Dale fans mouths.

Saying Bowie had no football followers is a bit like saying Suede didn't. Not really a 'football' audience. As for foppish nonsense like Prog Rockers from Dorset not admitting to following football that's a bit like saying Mumford & Sons have no obvious football followers in their audience.

E's certainly stopped some of the violence in the late 80's, early 90's. Unfortunately some of the same people suffered drug-related breakdowns and when they recovered Oasis were happening and so they started fighting again.:rolleyes: True story for a couple of lads I used to know.

Anyway, the greatest band ever loved football so that'll do for me.

Image result for spinal tap shrewsbury

Just now, meadows said:

I actually said the opposite and gave the example that I was a indeed football fan & a Bowie but that  there as little interaction between the milieu  

Going off your geography I’m glad we’ve got Shrewsbury out of the way and have no plans to visit Hereford. 

I have no idea what your 2nd sentence means.

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Reading come out to Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond which seems to be well received by their fans. Arsenal have The Wonder of You by Elvis, West Ham have Bubbles, Stoke come out to a song made for their League Cup final appearance called We'll Be With You, Norwich have On The Ball City and there are many, many more. Who can forget Football's Coming Home from Euro 96?

If we had a club 'anthem' it would be much better but over the years we have had all genres of music which doesn't suit everyone. Personally it doesn't really bother me.

Charlton come out to Red Red Robbin.

Everton's Z cars theme tune is not embarrassing in comparison...

3 crucial points against one of the better teams. 

Good spells (as ever) but invited pressure when we sat back - risky strategy.

We are grinding out the results which I think is part that the team is gelling, and in part our squad is much stronger than most other teams who with few injuries / suspensions are beginning to struggle.

I am upbeat, let's keep this up!

Just seen the last couple of pages of this thread what the hell is going on? Who gives a flying one what music we come out to or what is played after a goal or after the game or what Tyrone or the wider world may or may not think of the Rochdale PR man? Quite surreal.

If the discussion leading up to that was about lack of atmosphere then that will only improve substantially when another 5,000 or so stayaway fans decide to make the effort to get down to Ewood.

On tipic I thought we played absolutely terribly but came away with the three points which ultimately is all that matters. Too many players well below par on Saturday and if we'd been allowed four of five subs you'd have been quite justified in hooking another couple off in addition to the ones who were quite correctly replaced.

Still a vital three points and just two more to go to equal the Club record of 8 straight League wins. Come on lads you can do it.

17 hours ago, Garage Flower said:

Surely everyone is in agreement that blasting out Seven Nation Army every time we score needs to stop. Who started that was it Paul Lambert? Some legacy him turns up sells our best player, gets goal music after goals then @#/?s off after a few months. 

Ha ha. Very good. The music doesnt particularly offend me but is perhaps best left for Michael Van Gerwen to walk out to at the darts.

Otherwise Lambert summed up perfectly in a nutshell.

I think ultimately the atmosphere will improve at Ewood Park when we haven’t got a ground that’s 1/3rd full with the two most vocal pockets of supporters at opposite ends of the pitch, would work well if both corners were full. I think the club should be making efforts to improve the atmosphere but we’re just too short on numbers for the size of our ground. Football at home hasn’t exactly been electric either. 

Who’s to say promotion this season doesn’t bring a couple 1000 back? There are fans out there with a casual interest as shown by the United game in the F.A cup last season. I personally believe the amount of boycotters is vastly overrated and most of the 10 000 or so lost fans just found something else they’d rather be doing once Venkys turned up, playing two leagues further down than when they came certinally won’t bring them back in a rush. That’s not to say there aren’t genuine “NAPM” boycotters. 

The Charlton game certainly wasn’t going to produce a good atmosphere was a horrible game! Dunno about you lot but I was expecting to concede the second half.

I'd say there are probably regular 10,000 to 12,000 fans that used to go in the old days that don't go now. Half of them will never set foot in Ewood again under any realistically conceivable circumstances. Those fans have given up on Rovers and mostly likely on football also. They've found other, more enjoyable, less expensive things to do on a Saturday afternoon.The other half may come back for a variety of reasons but the longer the Chicken Chokers are running the show the less likely that is.

1 hour ago, meadows said:

“Any conceivable circumstances” presumably doesn’t include a home cup tie against Man Utd or Liverpool both of which tempted people back in their thousands? 

Attendance vs Man Utd in the FA Cup last season was 23,130. On the basis that there were at least 7,500 United tickets sold in the Darwen End that leaves somewhere around  15,000-16,000 in the home ends. This includes 10-11,000 'regulars' who turned up for the league games last season and then 4,000-6,000 who turned up for a one-off (presumably a large chunk of which were United supporters who managed to get tickets in the home ends or people from the local area with little affinity to Rovers but who went so they could see 'Zlatan' etc. in the flesh for probably the only time in their lives.

Take off those sort of people and at a guess there were maybe 2,000 or 4,000 and a maximum of 6,000 additional fans for that United game, with almost 8,000 seats remaining empty.

In the two seasons before relegation under Kean average home attendances were 25,000+.

So whatever the motives of those additional 'home' fans for the United game last season there were less of them by some distance than those who were turning up as recently as 2011 in the Premier League when we had 18,000-19,000 home season ticket holders.

All in all quite alarming that last year we were getting less on Ewood vs Man Utd for a one-off big cup game than we were getting on a regular basis in the league just 6 years ago.

Just now, JHRover said:

Attendance vs Man Utd in the FA Cup last season was 23,130. On the basis that there were at least 7,500 United tickets sold in the Darwen End that leaves somewhere around  15,000-16,000 in the home ends. This includes 10-11,000 'regulars' who turned up for the league games last season and then 4,000-6,000 who turned up for a one-off (presumably a large chunk of which were United supporters who managed to get tickets in the home ends or people from the local area with little affinity to Rovers but who went so they could see 'Zlatan' etc. in the flesh for probably the only time in their lives.

Take off those sort of people and at a guess there were maybe 2,000 or 4,000 and a maximum of 6,000 additional fans for that United game, with almost 8,000 seats remaining empty.

In the two seasons before relegation under Kean average home attendances were 25,000+.

So whatever the motives of those additional 'home' fans for the United game last season there were less of them by some distance than those who were turning up as recently as 2011 in the Premier League when we had 18,000-19,000 home season ticket holders.

All in all quite alarming that last year we were getting less on Ewood vs Man Utd for a one-off big cup game than we were getting on a regular basis in the league just 6 years ago.

How many were on for the Liverpool game under Bowyer? 30k?

Archived