BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fleetwood

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I could see management material when Tony made his debut at Boro in 1982. I think I told our Postman.

That's 35 years ago so unless you knew TM at School don't apply.

Chaddy knew him when he delivered Mr Mowbray as a baby and mentioned him as management material then...so i think chaddy wins

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

yeah true(Rowett was available and I thought Senior would have gone foreign)  but since he come in,  he has spoken common sense and show his passion for this club. 

I mention Mowbray name about 3 years before we appointed. 

lol

8 hours ago, Stuart said:

At the time we were doubting Mowbray he was busy tinkering with the system and formation, and - rather crucially - it wasn’t working. Many fans were scratching their heads and suggesting what he needed to do.

Lo and behold! He started doing them - like a back four for starters, and taking the game to the opposition (like we had seen at U23 level - even Johnson and Dunn were being lauded).

Suddenly we are on a run and look unbeatable. (Fingers crossed, obvs)

Next minute anyone who doubted Sir Tony was an idiot and Chaddy was right to back the manager simply because he was wearing the badge and hadn’t been sacked - a strategy that was bound to pay off eventually.

I think Jack O has been the bigger man here but lest we forget, we are fighting for second place because of the start Mowbray gave us when we could have been well out in front. This is simply stating a fact.

Where Mowbray does seem to have shone is in his recruitment: Downing, Smallwood, and Dack have all been brilliant. Add in Chapman (mk1), Payne, and Armstrong on first impressions and he has certainly taken his new attacking mantra to heart. The only question mark over him now is in defence and a hard man as CM sub. Yesterday Ward was our only defensive cover. Unless he strengthens this in the next 10 days we may be relying on one of the youth to step up. Matty Platt or the untested Charley Doyle. And the one defender Mowbray has called up was instantly converted to a CM!

Its certainly a love-in for Mowbray at the moment - and rightly so because we are on a fantastic run - but as soon as this run ends, Mowbray will need to not be seduced into tinkering again. The bigger potential for exposure though is an injury to Mulgrew and/or Downing or Smallwood because the cover for either just isn’t there. Either way, the harsh reality of our Venkys-induced situation is that Mowbray will still only earn the plaudits if we are promoted.

I too, although liking Mowbary, have doubted him, recently too because I am not sure he instills a mental "toughness".  I am still not sold.  Credit where credit is due, it's results that count and our unity, team spirit, camraderie and fan appreciation seems second to none.  That comes from Tony, he's harped on about it since the beginning, being close to the fans and I love it.  He will truly win me over when I see how we react to, the famous Souness saying, a punch on the nose.  We are going to get one and how we bounce back from that is crucial.  Right now loving it, every minute fells giod to feel good about Rovers albeit in the 3rd division.  It's where we were when I first started attending regularly so I am fine with it, for the time being.

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

3 of the next 4 are home games vs struggling sides. Only away game is the long trip to Plymouth. Good opportunity to make 2nd place ours.

Steady on now, have we not come unstuck against strugglers at home, part of the mental side that I keep banging on about and sickening you lot with.  Let's see if we have eradicated that. Another feather in Tony's cap from me if we have.

6 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

This video shows the Samuel miss. The noise when our winner went in:rover:

Why have they edited out the local rags man of the match from these highlights surely he did something of note.

1 hour ago, SoldierMo said:

Chaddy knew him when he delivered Mr Mowbray as a baby and mentioned him as management material then...so i think chaddy wins

That's nothing. My mum and Dad ran into TM's parents on a night out in February 1963 and told them that if they got jiggy later on that night, it was obvious they'd have a son and that he would go on to have great managerial potential! ***

*** They obviously knew more than me who was calling for his head after the Oldham and Plymouth matches!

:huh:

44 minutes ago, DE. said:

Still struggling to adjust to those black shorts.

I do not like them at all, awful. They should be white or, if there is such a thing as a clash of colours for shorts, then blue.

I am assuming it's  Cheston moment, black will go with the away kit too.

30 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I do not like tham at all, awful. They should be white or, if there is such a thing as a clash of colours for shorts, then blue.

I think it will be down to the kit suppliers probably don't make enough money from us to give us 3 different coloured shorts

41 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I do not like them at all, awful. They should be white or, if there is such a thing as a clash of colours for shorts, then blue.

Yep, black shorts are awful. White shorts and socks only.

This is the best Rovers kit bar none, from 1965-66

image.png.86e45eb6e02e97232e26201dc8dce839.png

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Yep, black shorts are awful. White shorts and socks only.

This is the best Rovers kit bar none, from 1965-66

image.png.86e45eb6e02e97232e26201dc8dce839.png

I had that kit Jim. First game I saw us wear that kit was against Everton at Ewood in  the 1962-63 season. I can't think of the last time but we must have worn it for about 6 seasons.

56 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

I think it will be down to the kit suppliers probably don't make enough money from us to give us 3 different coloured shorts

Our Home kit has white shorts.

Our Away kit has red shorts.

However when we play away against a team who play in say red we wear our home kit but change to black shorts if the home team wears white shorts.

So we have 3 colours for shorts already - white, red and black.

Who chose black?

Many may think it's not important and perhaps it's not but black shorts with our Blue & White looks cheap and tacky.

My only excuse for this post is my insomnia and anyway it's more interesting than reading JAL bitching about our MoM not being featured in the 2 min highlight show. His name is Nyambe....JAL forgot ;)

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Nice bit of play from Dack to set Samuel up. He should have done better there really. Never hit the bloody side netting, always go the other side and across goal from that position.! If the 'keeper blocks or parries it you've got a good chance of a rebound. School boy stuff really.

I guess that's why he's playing for us in League One having been bombed out of Reading... luckily we've got Dack, who knows exactly where to put the ball! If we do get promoted Samuel is one I'd be looking to move on, but not sure there would be any buyers and can't see us releasing him on a free. He's useful enough in this division but can't see him making the step up. All hypotheticals anyway, if we're worrying about that situation in the summer then great. 

Just now, DE. said:

I guess that's why he's playing for us in League One having been bombed out of Reading... luckily we've got Dack, who knows exactly where to put the ball! If we do get promoted Samuel is one I'd be looking to move on, but not sure there would be any buyers and can't see us releasing him on a free. He's useful enough in this division but can't see him making the step up. All hypotheticals anyway, if we're worrying about that situation in the summer then great. 

Yeah I would agree with that. You've got to make the goalkeeper work from there. Poor finishing. Dack however had been a revelation. A poor man's David Dunn !

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah I would agree with that. You've got to make the goalkeeper work from there. Poor finishing. Dack however had been a revelation. A poor man's David Dunn !

It'd be pretty interesting to see how Dack performs in the Championship. He's obviously a top player at this level, and whilst he may not be as effective in the Championship I reckon he'd still come in with a respectable amount of goals and assists. 

Just now, DE. said:

It'd be pretty interesting to see how Dack performs in the Championship. He's obviously a top player at this level, and whilst he may not be as effective in the Championship I reckon he'd still come in with a respectable amount of goals and assists. 

I think he'll do well in the Championship if only because of his attitude. He's a tenacious little bugger who never stops trying even when things aren't going too well.

25 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Our Home kit has white shorts.

Our Away kit has red shorts.

However when we play away against a team who play in say red we wear our home kit but change to black shorts if the home team wears white shorts.

So we have 3 colours for shorts already - white, red and black.

Who chose black?

Many may think it's not important and perhaps it's not but black shorts with our Blue & White looks cheap and tacky.

My only excuse for this post is my insomnia and anyway it's more interesting than reading JAL bitching about our MoM not being featured in the 2 min highlight show. His name is Nyambe....JAL forgot ;)

I bet they are last years shorts

Just now, DE. said:

I think he'd do OK. He's not lacking in ability. Maybe getting the move to Rovers has shown him that there's another World in football if you apply yourself. If we'd have had him last season we would have stayed up. His goals from midfield were just what we were missing.

Archived