BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Northampton

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This day was always going to come.

A bit of time and a few wins and it's all forgotten and seemingly excused.

A few decent results against some rubbing rag clubs and a gargantuan push to 3rd place in the THIRD TIER is all it takes ?

Bless their little Indian cotton socks. Giving Kean that extra contract was just a poor decision. Pull the other one.

Good fckng Grief!

4 minutes ago, Rover_Shaun said:

This day was always going to come.

A bit of time and a few wins and it's all forgotten and seemingly excused.

A few decent results against some rubbing rag clubs and a gargantuan push to 3rd place in the THIRD TIER is all it takes ?

Bless their little Indian cotton socks. Giving Kean that extra contract was just a poor decision. Pull the other one.

Good fckng Grief!

C’mon Shaun. Blackburn Rovers fans have no divine right to expect better than third place in Div 3.

You know, except for the sheer weight of history, given how infrequently we’ve ever been this low, and our status as the most successful town club in the land. Oh, and the fact that we have owners who have so much spare dosh that they can afford to make millionaires out of some very ordinary, nay substandard, people indeed.

We should just doff our caps, keep our heads down and be grateful to the Venkys for keeping us afloat.

I’m sorry, for all the attempts at taking the moral high ground by those embarrassed to be playing the likes Northampton, it just comes over as boohoohoo why aren’t we playing Arsenal (whose fans always felt nothing but pride and achievement in playing us...).

Seven years after playing Double-winners Spurs off the field and spending a few weeks at the top of the first division, we were playing Southport at Haig Avenue.

Wolves, who finished 1st/1st/2nd/FA cup winners in successive seasons within my lifetime, European FINALISTS in the 70s, spent a chunk of the 80s in the 4th division. Now that is worth crying over.

Well done to Northampton for keeping going, getting into the third tier, and putting in the kind of gritty performances against us we used to be so proud of putting in at Highbury. 

5 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Poor management is natural to this country. It's one reason why it's in such a mess. 

haha - you think Britain is in a mess?You obviously have not got out much. Having travelled half the world and been residents in about 4 countries - you should count your blessings mate. 

7 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I’m sorry, for all the attempts at taking the moral high ground by those embarrassed to be playing the likes Northampton, it just comes over as boohoohoo why aren’t we playing Arsenal (whose fans always felt nothing but pride and achievement in playing us...).

Seven years after playing Double-winners Spurs off the field and spending a few weeks at the top of the first division, we were playing Southport at Haig Avenue.

Wolves, who finished 1st/1st/2nd/FA cup winners in successive seasons within my lifetime, European FINALISTS in the 70s, spent a chunk of the 80s in the 4th division. Now that is worth crying over.

Well done to Northampton for keeping going, getting into the third tier, and putting in the kind of gritty performances against us we used to be so proud of putting in at Highbury. 

I keep reading this and I’m still trying to workout why having the biggest budget in the league and keeping hold of the best players in a team that went down with an unheard of tally of 51 points (and that was with Owen fecking Coyle as manager till Feb) means we shouldn’t expect to be at the top end of the table. 

Not entitlement, not looking down our noses, but just realities of our budget in comparison to most at this level.

Most Rovers fans I know doubt we’ll ever play in the PL again (or at least in their lifetimes), so ‘boo hoo why aren’t we playing Arsenal’ is just a load of tripe frankly.

I think most people can see that this team is capable of beating anyone in this league, and in some of their games they have proved it. I also think it's perfectly reasonable to expect us to beat teams in the bottom three but the frustration sets in when they fail to do so. It seems to happen with regularity at key moment of the season which once again creates what I see as justifiable frustration.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion so instead of jumping down each others throats it's worth looking for some possible reasons for the most notable bad results such as Northampton, well here's one.

Northampton packed their defence which is perfectly reasonable in their situation, especially after grabbing an early goal and it's notable that they had some pretty tall defenders, so why did we constantly bombard the area with high balls which were negated nearly every time. Ask yourself this if it wasn't working why did they continue, who was responsible the players or the manager. In my opinion TM should have changed the tactics when it was patently obvious it was failing, not saying he hasn't done ok with Rovers but he could have influenced this game with a change of tactics, this team has plenty of talent let them get it on the deck and show it. 

I honestly wonder whether anyone at Rovers makes the effort to track future opponents before we play them. That can't be surely? Perhaps there isn't the staff?

It does seem that with the lower teams we don't know what to expect of them. 

Whatever, it isn't good enough and its ultimately at the manager's door.

Archived