BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Northampton

9 hours ago, Rover_Shaun said:

You talk, as always, like it's some kind of natural order being restored. I'm not arsed if we played Northampton on Jupiter in 1916 the point is this is not a natural regression and the fact that we are pitted against such historical rubbing rag clubs as Northampton and Rochdale is bloody embarrassing in the scheme of the last 43 years (my lifetime). Obviously you may remember playing Ossy Rovers in the cup but it doesn't mean it's the natural way of things.  A draw against Northampton is shocking, as is this great club, the most successful town team ever, being at the same level as them.

It's called football.  Teams go up and teams go down over the years.  It's happened to bigger clubs than the Rovers in the past and it will do again in the future.  If the decisions at the top are wrong it usually is reflected by what happens on the pitch.  You seem to be under the same misunderstanding as the owners appeared to be - that football somehow guarantees you the right to play in the top League.  In the past we got things wrong and ended up in the Third Division and, once again, we got things wrong and ended up in the Third Division.  Fortunately, things are starting to look up again, supporters are returning and enjoying following the club again.  The owners seem finally to be making sensible decisions - although how long that lasts is anyone's guess, but at the moment they seem to be happy enough to put their trust in Mowbray.   Saturday was a setback, but then I've never seen a season when there haven't been setbacks along the way no matter how successful the season ultimately ended.   

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

That’s my concern. Just gotta hope given the occasion that they roll out some of the bigger guns.

Hopefully it will be no concern to us, but to Shrewsbury Town. We aren't settling for the play offs are we?

16 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Give it a rest for abit keep going on about winger. 

Stretch teams? Northampton sit deeper all game. Cant stretch teams who dont go forwards. Even their wingers for most of the second half played as full backs. 

IMO we need a tricky winger. Thats why suggest Payne to play wide right cos he has the skills and techique plus can play through balls to Graham and Dack in between their defenders. Then Nyambe can over lap him giving us the width on the right. 

I take my hat off to you Chaddy, at least you're consistent.

16 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Give it a rest for abit keep going on about winger. 

Stretch teams? Northampton sit deeper all game. Cant stretch teams who dont go forwards. Even their wingers for most of the second half played as full backs. 

IMO we need a tricky winger. Thats why suggest Payne to play wide right cos he has the skills and techique plus can play through balls to Graham and Dack in between their defenders. Then Nyambe can over lap him giving us the width on the right. 

Teams also go to Wigan to sit deep and defend. The difference is Wigan don't often concede goals out of nothing frequently by shooting themselves in the foot.

Everyone who went to Northampton just before Xmas knew what to expect on Saturday - a big, physical, committed side that knew the dark arts of time wasting etc.

The failure was that once again we found a way to concede out of minimal pressure. Just like at Fleetwood, just like we did twice against Scunthorpe, just as we did at Rotherham. It's happening too often.

We can sign all the 'tricky wingers' in the world, sign another few midfielders and another striker but as long as we don't do the basics right and defend properly for 90 minutes more often than not we'll end up in trouble.

Fleetwood we showed our quality, then shot ourselves in the foot and struggled. Scunthorpe we showed quality, shot ourselves in the foot and struggled. Heck, even Shrewsbury, where we played very well indeed, we still managed to let them back into the game out of nothing.

I don't believe such problems stem from a lack of personnel, or injuries. It's poor game management and that comes from coaching.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Personally i’m not settling for that and I’d hope nobody at the club is, but you’d have to say it’s looking like a flip of a coin right now.

That old cliché, a week is a long time in football, applies more so, when we have a midweek fixture, especially as Shrewsbury haven't. If we can pick up maximum points from the next two, we will be in second again one week from now, no matter what the results are elsewhere.

2 hours ago, lraC said:

Hopefully it will be no concern to us, but to Shrewsbury Town. We aren't settling for the play offs are we?

What makes you think that Shrewsbury are aiming for the playoffs? On Tuesday Rovers will have played a game more, if Rovers @#/? it up at Walsall then it could start a wobble.

I can't understand this mentality where people on here seem to think that Blackburn have some kind of god given right to be in the Premier League and the fact that win or lose against so called smaller clubs with a tiny proportion of the budget that Rovers have people just try and belittle these teams. You all need to take a look at yourselves, get over the "we are a massive and shouldnt be in DIVISION 3" attitude.

2 minutes ago, InBlue said:

What makes you think that Shrewsbury are aiming for the playoffs? On Tuesday Rovers will have played a game more, if Rovers @#/? it up at Walsall then it could start a wobble.

I can't understand this mentality where people on here seem to think that Blackburn have some kind of god given right to be in the Premier League and the fact that win or lose against so called smaller clubs with a tiny proportion of the budget that Rovers have people just try and belittle these teams. You all need to take a look at yourselves, get over the "we are a massive and shouldnt be in DIVISION 3" attitude.

If you read these boards regularly you would know that only a minority of fans have the sense of entitlement you allude to. We are here because we deserve to be - a fact acknowledged by lots of grounded fans.

A lot of Rovers fans are bitter (me included) about the fact we threw away a very solid position in the top flight, as we knew that our town club had no divine right to be in the PL and it would be extremely difficult to get back - look no further than city clubs like Leeds, Sheff Wed, Forest for proof of that.

However, I have no issue with fans expecting the club to be competing for automatic promotion in this division. Not because we are the mighty Blackburn Rovers, but due to the playing personnel and budget.

1 hour ago, InBlue said:

As Tony has stated below, I don't think for one second, we are entitled to anything and I am completely certain that Shrewsbury are going for an automatic spot. I simply replied to another post, aobut what will happen with the referees, if we are in the play offs? and have not been condescending in any way. The give away is the first word in my post, which is hopefully.

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

It's not entitlement, it's expectation. Not getting promoted would be a failure given the resources at our disposal and the budget we've spent.

Mowbray has said as much himself, so a little strange for some fans to seemingly have lower expectations than the manager. 

2 hours ago, InBlue said:

Its nothing to do with 'entitlement'. If Man City were sat 8th behind Burnley at this stage would that be acceptable given their squad, investment and stature? No it wouldn't. Their fans would be very unhappy, their directors very unhappy and their manager would be under immense pressure. That's what happens when you're at a big club and you are struggling to overcome much smaller clubs. That's what happens when you have a budget greater than several of your rivals combined. That's the nature of managing Blackburn Rovers in the 3rd division. Everyone expects success and rightly so. The day we settle for anything less than promotion is the day we sink further in the quagmire and accept being a run of the mill 3rd tier side.

Burnley would rightly get plaudits for being above City, as Shrewsbury are getting at present, but that doesn't mean City would accept it, nor does it mean we should be happy with it.

IF we reach the end of a 46 game season and finish below Shrewsbury then Shrewsbury and their manager will get plaudits galore and will probably get promoted. I'll be more concerned with analysing where we've gone wrong and how we rectify it than backslapping the achievements of other clubs.

46 minutes ago, DE. said:

Mowbray has said as much himself, so a little strange for some fans to seemingly have lower expectations than the manager. 

56 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

It's not entitlement, it's expectation. Not getting promoted would be a failure given the resources at our disposal and the budget we've spent.

Ay up, who said we shouldn’t expect promotion? I thought the discussion on entitlement centred around just expecting us to waltz through opposition or seeing the likes of Northampton and Walsall as below us? 

3 hours ago, InBlue said:

The majority of neutral or opposition football fans would say we shouldn't be in division 3 with the budget, history and size of the club we have InBlue.

Objectively speaking it's a pretty ridiculous situation that we are playing some of these clubs that don't have a pot to pee in. It should never have got this far.

8 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

It's called football.  Teams go up and teams go down over the years.  It's happened to bigger clubs than the Rovers in the past and it will do again in the future.  If the decisions at the top are wrong it usually is reflected by what happens on the pitch.  You seem to be under the same misunderstanding as the owners appeared to be - that football somehow guarantees you the right to play in the top League.  In the past we got things wrong and ended up in the Third Division and, once again, we got things wrong and ended up in the Third Division.  Fortunately, things are starting to look up again, supporters are returning and enjoying following the club again.  The owners seem finally to be making sensible decisions - although how long that lasts is anyone's guess, but at the moment they seem to be happy enough to put their trust in Mowbray.   Saturday was a setback, but then I've never seen a season when there haven't been setbacks along the way no matter how successful the season ultimately ended.   

You seem to be under the misunderstanding that what has happened to Rovers is a natural event.

5 hours ago, InBlue said:

"We are massive and shouldnt be in DIVISION 3".

Exactly. Though thanks to the owners we are in a false position. So it's only natural to lament and be embarrassed to be playing at against such minnows whilst at the same time being frustrated that given our resources we are making such dogs dinner of getting out of such a terrible (standard) division.....mainly due to the pre October inadequacies of the manager.

As for the level of opposition my stance would be the same if we were still in the premier league. Hence why the actics of 2010 to late 2011 meant I started my stance BEFORE Christmas 2011 and not after relegation in 2012. I've supported dine terrible Rovers teams in the 80's but the core of the club wasn't so rotten, just lacking in tea bags. So people can take their little digs and stick them where the sun don't shine ?

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

You seem to be under the misunderstanding that what has happened to Rovers is a natural event.

Jack Walker and our subsequent almost 20-year sojourn in the top flight, including  the 1995 championship win, was not a "natural event" either. In fact, in the context of Rovers'; history it was extraordinary

Mismanagement of footballs clubs however is a natural event  because mismanagement and poor decision-making occurs frequently and most clubs that are badly managed usually end up in trouble. There's no doubt that Rovers have been mismanaged since 2010, so what has happened to Rovers, which is a consequence of the owners' actions, is not unusual and can be said to be a "natural event".

How easy time fades memories. It wasn't any natural decisions that preceded our demise. It was wanton vandalism and a dereliction of any common sense approach and not Bob Fox being let down by a few managers.

The only comparison you can make is that while Jack Walker actively looked to improve the club Venkys actively looked to undermine it.

22 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Jack Walker and our subsequent almost 20-year sojourn in the top flight, including  the 1995 championship win, was not a "natural event" either. In fact, in the context of Rovers'; history it was extraordinary

Mismanagement of footballs clubs however is a natural event  because mismanagement and poor decision-making occurs frequently and most clubs that are badly managed usually end up in trouble. There's no doubt that Rovers have been mismanaged since 2010, so what has happened to Rovers, which is a consequence of the owners' actions, is not unusual and can be said to be a "natural event".

What Venkys have brought to the club is 'natural'. Just shows you can spin any old nonsense if you try hard enough.

Are you Alistair Campbell in disguise?

1 minute ago, Parsonblue said:

Decisions made by directors/owners usually impact on the club one way or another.  It's never been any different.

Blimey, Parson. I think you are in danger of normalising /sanitising the crap that has been dished out by the Indians and their crooked mates.

This is very different to anything that could be called ordinary ownership...and you know it LOL..

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

Blimey, Parson. I think you are in danger of normalising /sanitising the crap that has been dished out by the Indians and their crooked mates.

This is very different to anything that could be called ordinary ownership...and you know it LOL..

Mismanagement, albeit borne out of stupidity and ignorance, but it's still mismanagement. Happens all the time. It's a British (and Indian) disease. 

18 minutes ago, booth said:

What Venkys have brought to the club is 'natural'. Just shows you can spin any old nonsense if you try hard enough.

Are you Alistair Campbell in disguise?

Poor management is natural to this country. It's one reason why it's in such a mess. 

Archived