BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Attendances

damo100

4 minutes ago, 47er said:

Sadly no-one would accept a Venkys statement as "genuine".

Probably because they usually look like they've been etched on the back of a fag packet by shadow man before being placed in the public domain :huh:

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
5 minutes ago, 47er said:

Sadly no-one would accept a Venkys statement as "genuine".

Neither should they. The owners' words have proven to have no value in the past, so there's no reason to pay any attention to them now. The only way the owners can apologise for what they've done is by getting us back to where we were before they took over, clearing the debt they've built up and either running the club properly (likelihood almost zero) or selling us to somebody who does know what they're doing and can fund us accordingly (unfortunately also unlikely).

1 minute ago, DE. said:

Apologies but clearly I should have stressed heart felt and genuine.

The 'sell up and feck off' argument doesn't cut it with me  for a number of reasons, primarily financial. I'm far removed from being a Venky apologist but I'd like to think that I'm a realist.

Any other ideas in terms of re-attracting the stay aways?

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

I suspect, a well thought out, heart felt, positive and genuine statement from the owners could make a world of difference.

Seriously?

I'm pretty confident any statement from them, heart felt it not, would be met with the distain it deserves. 

Seems like a few wins in the 3rd division is softening one or two up. 

Venkys out :angry:

• Backroom
Just now, darrenrover said:

Apologies but clearly I should have stressed heart felt and genuine.

The 'sell up and feck off' argument doesn't cut it with me  for a number of reasons, primarily financial. I'm far removed from being a Venky apologist but I'd like to think that I'm a realist.

Any other ideas in terms of re-attracting the stay aways?

I'm not sure any written statement could adequately convince most people that Venky's are heart felt or genuine about anything related to Blackburn Rovers. Certainly not anybody who has given up their attendance as a direct result of their actions.

In terms of getting people to come back, same as with any other club. Sustained success will bring people back. If Venky's back a good manager in Mowbray then perhaps he can lead us there. I have serious doubts as to whether they will, as history suggests it's beyond them, but that's the only realistic way attendance will regularly increase.

IMV, as far as Venky's are concerned they are better off keeping their mouths shut and letting the management and team here do as good of a job as possible of making us all forget they exist beyond underwriting the horrendous debt that they themselves have created.

Just now, Gav said:

Seriously?

I'm pretty confident any statement from them, heart felt it not, would be met with the distain it deserves. 

Seems like a few wins in the 3rd division is softening one or two up. 

Venkys out :angry:

Seriously Gav? 

It's certainly softened your stance up but I'm aligned with you pal, I'm thoroughly enjoying watching my football.

Just to retrace, my comment was based upon the discussion of how we could increase attendances, nothing more nothing less. If any statement was treated with distain (sp?),  then there'd be nothing lost, surely?

10 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Seriously Gav? 

It's certainly softened your stance up but I'm aligned with you pal, I'm thoroughly enjoying watching my football.

Just to retrace, my comment was based upon the discussion of how we could increase attendances, nothing more nothing less. If any statement was treated with distain (sp?),  then there'd be nothing lost, surely?

Can't agree on the statement, but I'm certainly aligned with you on enjoying the football. 

Its about time we had a bit of pride restored and I feel that's happened  on several fronts this season. 

49 minutes ago, DE. said:

I'm not sure any written statement could adequately convince most people that Venky's are heart felt or genuine about anything related to Blackburn Rovers. Certainly not anybody who has given up their attendance as a direct result of their actions.

In terms of getting people to come back, same as with any other club. Sustained success will bring people back. If Venky's back a good manager in Mowbray then perhaps he can lead us there. I have serious doubts as to whether they will, as history suggests it's beyond them, but that's the only realistic way attendance will regularly increase.

IMV, as far as Venky's are concerned they are better off keeping their mouths shut and letting the management and team here do as good of a job as possible of making us all forget they exist beyond underwriting the horrendous debt that they themselves have created.

If they wrote a statement in their own blood I still wouldn't trust them. Would be a rather strange thing for anyone to do I suppose...

Normally I wouldn't want owners to keep their mouths shut (as long as they don't come out with rubbish constantly) but they may be the exception! 

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

Can't agree on the statement, but I'm certainly aligned with you on enjoying the football. 

Its about time we had a bit of pride restored and I feel that's happened  on several fronts this season. 

I met someone in the pub tonight after the game who hasn't been to watch Rovers for 7 years and has always stated his views and has never wavered, that he will return when Venkys leave.

He asked me 'how did YOU play?' an innocent enough question but I quickly countered by asking 'what do you mean YOU, do you not mean WE?'

He's somebody who went to Rovers for twenty odd years that I know of before Venkys bought the club and WE has now turned into YOU. I guess he'll never go again because he's found a new interest. That's the challenge, turning YOU into WE again!

6 hours ago, darrenrover said:

I met someone in the pub tonight after the game who hasn't been to watch Rovers for 7 years and has always stated his views and has never wavered, that he will return when Venkys leave.

He asked me 'how did YOU play?' an innocent enough question but I quickly countered by asking 'what do you mean YOU, do you not mean WE?'

He's somebody who went to Rovers for twenty odd years that I know of before Venkys bought the club and WE has now turned into YOU. I guess he'll never go again because he's found a new interest. That's the challenge, turning YOU into WE again!

Once people have turned their faces against attending games getting them to return is a lot harder than getting them interested in the first place. 

I know this is going to sound attention seeking and it's not meant to as there's no way I could go back to Rovers this season as I'm on holiday or babysitting every weekend between now and the end of the season, but a direct invitation to individual former season ticket holders might work for some. Email people directly and you might just get some response. Remember the season Mark Hughes rang us all up? Was hard not to get a ticket after that

There is now regularly 12500 to 13000 home fans attending each week - which is around 3,000 up on the first half of the season and much of the Coyle season.

Not brilliant, bit considering the frankly stupid match day prices and when all said and done, it’s the third division, it’s ok.

The attending Rovers fan base is heavily made up of season ticket holders, has been for years. Our season ticket sales (around 8,000 at the start of this season) generally match up with a lot of clubs, but due to catchment area etc we don’t sell too many walk on tickets (and definitely won’t at £25-30).

We’ve had four figure home attendance for some games this season and last, so we are trying to re-build from our lowest base for 25+ years.

The Coyle appointment knocked 3,000 off our gate in one summer, this season has just got us back to where we were prior to the unveiling of the ‘outstanding candidate’.

So, get those season ticket sales back up to 10,000+ for a start and the crowds will rise accordingly. So, if all goes well, big push needed this summer.

14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Once people have turned their faces against attending games getting them to return is a lot harder than getting them interested in the first place. 

As a former season ticket holder and Rovers supporter since 1973 I will always be 'interested'. However, since the Venkys rot set in, it is much harder to be actually 'bothered' to make the effort to attend, especially as they don't really make it an easy option (e.g. adding costs to tickets on match day, pricing not aligned with the  reality of what is being offered etc). If I was the management, I'd organise research amongst former season ticket holders to find out what would create an incentive to return, then act on that.Or perhaps go the Bradford route and price match day to fill the stadium - same revenue from ticket sales but more opportunity for concessions (pies drinks etc) and a much better atmosphere at home.

It isn't rocket science, but then again the Venksters aren't rocket scientists either...

9 hours ago, DE. said:

Neither should they. The owners' words have proven to have no value in the past, so there's no reason to pay any attention to them now. The only way the owners can apologise for what they've done is by getting us back to where we were before they took over, clearing the debt they've built up and either running the club properly (likelihood almost zero) or selling us to somebody who does know what they're doing and can fund us accordingly (unfortunately also unlikely).

Agreed.

Just now, WIR Second Coming said:

As a former season ticket holder and Rovers supporter since 1973 I will always be 'interested'. However, since the Venkys rot set in, it is much harder to be actually 'bothered' to make the effort to attend, especially as they don't really make it an easy option (e.g. adding costs to tickets on match day, pricing not aligned with the  reality of what is being offered etc). If I was the management, I'd organise research amongst former season ticket holders to find out what would create an incentive to return, then act on that.Or perhaps go the Bradford route and price match day to fill the stadium - same revenue from ticket sales but more opportunity for concessions (pies drinks etc) and a much better atmosphere at home.

It isn't rocket science, but then again the Venksters aren't rocket scientists either...

Living in Rochdale I used to go up to Spotland pretty often when Rovers were away on Saturdays or when the Dale had a good midweek game. I even went to away games occasionally and when they got to Wembley for the play offs me and my mum and my son went down for that. Eventually I gradually stopping going for several reasons and I've not been for a while apart from the two Rovers games this season. If you offered me a free ticket I couldn't be bothered going now and I live in easy walking distance of the ground.

That's what happens when you get out of the habit of going.

11 hours ago, tomphil said:

Ok turnout today I suppose but not great, where are the extra 2k that turned up on a Sunday lunchtime paying top whack when the game was on TV I wonder ?

Is Wigan at home what passes for glory hunting these days :lol:

Club have a job on their hands boosting the crowds now it seems, really need to push the boat out and tap into that feel good factor.

In Wigan.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Footballs an entertainment business, success on the pitch puts bums on seats, always has at  and always will.

Attendances take care of themselves if the product is good.

Just now, Gav said:

Footballs an entertainment business, success on the pitch puts bums on seats, always has at  and always will.

Attendances take care of themselves if the product is good.

Provided the price can be met by the target market.

E.g.walk-ons this season.

As I put on my earlier post, despite the crazy walk on prices, we have still added around 2,500- 3,000 fans since Christmas.

Its just the Coil nightmare had reduced our crowds to figures not seen for 25+ years. 

Thats why a cheap ticket game or two  would have been a fantastic way to engage even more people - still an opportunity, it’s over to you Waggott for Oxford - you’ve got 17,000 seats to play with...

19 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

As I put on my earlier post, despite the crazy walk on prices, we have still added around 2,500- 3,000 fans since Christmas.

Its just the Coil nightmare had reduced our crowds to figures not seen for 25+ years. 

Thats why a cheap ticket game or two  would have been a fantastic way to engage even more people - still an opportunity, it’s over to you Waggott for Oxford - you’ve got 17,000 seats to play with...

Yep, we were pretty much at 10,000 home fans for the first half of the season. Addding 2.5K to the crowd at the current prices is decent but not unexpected for a promotion push.

It beggars belief that they haven't tried to entice more fans to the ground with cheap tickets with a view to selling a few more ST's next season if we go up.

Our attendance was 1300+. Wigan's was less than 9000.

We are not doing that badly for a Third Division team.

That's what we are. 

Not arguing against cheap tickets to increase the crowd by the way.

We've played 21 home games in League 1 with the highest attendance coming against Wigan. Surprised we only got 13,665 against Oldham  as I recall them  filling the away end allocation. It's a results business but will we see the final 2 home games exceed £15,000? Sky have done their best to keep armchair fans happy (no offence to anyone)  but how many times are we going to win League 1 in each of our lifetimes?? 

Sat Aug 12 - 15:00 Doncaster Rovers H L 1 3 22nd 12,223
Sat Aug 26 - 15:00 MK Dons H W 4 1 10th 10,111
Sat Sep 16 - 15:00 AFC Wimbledon H L 0 1 11th 10,833
Tue Sep 26 - 19:45 Rotherham United H W 2 0 8th 10,228
Sat Sep 30 - 15:00 Gillingham H W 1 0 6th 10,844
Tue Oct 17 - 19:45 Plymouth Argyle H D 1 1 10th 10,011
Sat Oct 21 - 15:00 Portsmouth H W 3 0 6th 11,673
Sat Sep 02 - 12:15 Fleetwood Town H D 2 2 6th 10,399
Sat Nov 25 - 15:00 Bristol Rovers H W 2 1 5th 11,660
Sat Dec 16 - 15:00 Charlton Athletic H W 2 0 3rd 10,907
Tue Dec 26 - 15:00 Rochdale H W 2 0 3rd 15,115
Sat Dec 30 - 15:00 Scunthorpe United H D 2 2 3rd 12,874
Sat Jan 13 - 15:00 Shrewsbury Town H W 3 1 3rd 13,579
Sat Jan 27 - 15:00 Northampton Town H D 1 1 3rd 12,555
Tue Jan 30 - 19:45 Walsall H W 3 1 2nd 11,241
Sat Feb 10 - 15:00 Oldham Athletic H D 2 2 3rd 13,665
Sat Feb 17 - 15:00 Bury H W 2 0 1st 12,038
Sat Mar 03 - 15:00 Wigan Athletic H D 2 2 1st 16,142
Sat Mar 10 - 15:00 Blackpool H W 3 0 1st 13,230
Thu Mar 29 - 19:45 Bradford City H W 2 0 1st 13,443
Sat Apr 07 - 15:00 Southend United H W 1 0 1st 13,186

So it would seem we might have flatlined at around 12k regular home fans now since we've been at the top, trick is how to increase that because it will be disappointing if it doesn't budge up much now we are at the business end.

Archived