BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portsmouth v Rovers

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a win. Smash and grab!

@jim mk2 was right about two things... Pompey fans really get behind their team, even more so than we saw at Plymouth, and there are many twists and turns to come... Are Wigan beginning to lose it?

Shrews have been faltering at home lately, and have a tricky home match against Rotherham. We don't play again until Monday, so all eyes on Shrews on Saturday. As for Wigan, they don't play until a week on Saturday, so a draw or a win against Bury on Monday will put us into the top 2. Let's make it a win, and make it count.

Just now, islander200 said:

3 points.Shrews playing Rotheram Saturday which is a tough game so hopefully they will drop points 

The one thing I'm becoming clear about is that waiting for Shrewsbury to fall is a futile pursuit! Just happy we kept up with them and picked up points against Wigan.Happy night!

I did not enjoy watching that one bit. Glad to see Armstrong get amongst the goals, I think there's plenty more where they came from. I thought Samuel wasn't up to much in his big moment tonight. Lenihan looked like he hadn't been away for long. Him and Mulgrew have to got to be first names on the team sheet until he end of the season injuries permitting now. Travis showed his inexperience with his sending off no doubt he got carried away, gutted for him because he looked like he'd earned himself a start and now he's banned for however many games. 

No doubt I’ll get jumped on but, let’s be honest, we were appalling tonight. We can barely string a pass together and give the ball away so cheaply. Our players legs seem faster than their brains.

Stupid, hot-headed challenge from Travis when there was no danger. He might have got away with a yellow but for the reaction of both sets of players. The loss of Nyambe was a blow, let’s hope he isn’t out for long.

That said, a massive three points tonight, which just about makes up for the draw at the weekend. Very, very lucky this evening and but for a mistake from Pompey that winner didn’t look like happening. Selection and changes by Mowbray? Jury’s out.

Meanwhile, Shrewsbury keep on scoring late and winning games. A side we smashed at Ewood!

I do not fancy our chances at all in the play-offs and hope that Wigan or Shrewsbury capitulate.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

What a great night in the end. Lenihan immense. Played better with 3-5-2. Can see it being at least our away formation now. Get in!

Let's hope Chaddy has you on ignore!  :(

Just now, neophox said:

Game against rock bottom Bury at Ewood is massive! We can be league leaders by monday night!

Nooooooooo!

Just now, Stuart said:

No doubt I’ll get jumped on but, let’s be honest, we were appalling tonight. We can barely string a pass together and give the ball away so cheaply. Our players legs seem faster than their brains.

Stupid, hot-headed challenge from Travis when there was no danger. He might have got away with a yellow but for the reaction of both sets of players. The loss of Nyambe was a blow, let’s hope he isn’t out for long.

That said, a massive three points tonight, which just about makes up for the draw at the weekend. Very, very lucky this evening and but for a mistake from Pompey that winner didn’t look like happening. Selection and changes by Mowbray? Jury’s out.

Meanwhile, Shrewsbury keep on scoring late and winning games. A side we smashed at Ewood!

I do not fancy our chances at all in the play-offs and hope that Wigan or Shrewsbury capitulate.

You can only win games at this stage of the season, performances do not matter

take the points and move on

30 points required

Just now, Stuart said:

win is a win. 

No credit for Armstrong being played up front and starting after the switch to 3-5-2 and we control the game according to Rich Sharpe

bring Lenihan on who was very good. 

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Was it JAL that said Armstrong shouldn't be playing?

No I asked why does the short term contractor Armstrong do the job that the full time employee Nuttall or Samuel should be doing but I didn't mention there names but you have to ask why are they full time employees here if the short term contractors are delivering the results.

As for three at the back always thought it was three at the back plus Nyambe. 

I don't particularly think the switch to 3-5-2 was what contributed to the win as it was just grinding out a result. We weren't any better in the 2nd half than we were in the 1st. It seemed more a change of necessity than anything else. That said I can see him lining up like it next time because of Nyambe's injury.

Lenihan's performance shown us why everyone has been saying his return is vital to our promotion chase. He won a very good header at the back post shortly after his arrival.

Overall an ok performance. Some tidy passing at times but also some very loose spells. Better teams punish such mistakes but let's not let it overshadow a brilliant away win at a very tough place to go.

Raya is a flapper. He needs to sort his head out - if you are going to come, win it. He can't keep making the same mistake.

Williams very poor again. After our first ball Pompy played a long punt towards the corner flag and Williams made a stupid sliding tackle to concede a free kick in a dangerous position. No need to do it whatsoever. Bell is surely better than him.

I was impressed with Armstrong. Lots of running and some tidy touches. Likewise I thought Payne had a particularly good first half.

Bennett the man of the game for me. Tackled well, chased everything and as usual showed lots of desire. Although Armstrong will probably get it with his two goals.

3 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

I know 3-5-2 was shocking at the start of the season, but with the signings since then I think it suits all the players we have right now.

Also gets us 2 up top and Armstrong's pace can be more effective

been saying this for a few weeks now. 

very glad you agree

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Still got 2 games in hand on us, recently weve underperformed so cant say that yet after a couple of extra cup games.

true but huge pressure on them. starting to wonder if this takeover is creating problems behind the scenes there

Archived