BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton away April 28th

49 minutes ago, Tom said:

I have a vague recollection of being a 7 year old lad and watching the away game at derby on a big screen on the pItch at Ewood.

Then of course there was the game in the relegation season, Barnsley was it? Clear penalty on Ward

Hopefully it’s considered 

One of my earliest vivid memories of rovers walking back towards hollin bridge/Mill Hill in a huge crowd.

Cant remember what stand I was in (old nuttall?) but great night... Kevin Moran! 

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
Just now, Biz said:

One of my earliest vivid memories of rovers walking back towards hollin bridge/Mill Hill in a huge crowd.

Cant remember what stand I was in (old nuttall?) but great night... Kevin Moran! 

You have a better memory than me - I seem to remember standing on the pitch but not much else of the night, did Moran end up with a bandaged head?

Remember the final well though.

Just now, matt83 said:

Gutted for those who missed out but can’t really blame Charlton for not wanting to turn it into an away game for them especially as they have the playoffs in their sight.

When we’ve had important games I’ve often wanted us to give the oppo the minimum allocation then stick them in the top corner of the Darwen end. But we’ve always cashed in and given bigger sides 7k roaring them on.

Considering they have venky esque owners I’m surprised they haven’t cashed in as well

Charlton fans kicked off when they did it against pompey because it was thier 25th anniversary of retuning to the valley, therefore i dont think they dare do it again. 

For me a big away crowd excites me as a home fan and builds the atmosphere, i dont mind it at all, although 7k like we've given before maybe does take the mick, i think away fans should have no more than upper and quarter of lower at ewood. 

Just now, Gav said:

I can still see Ward being hacked down in front of us at Charlton....

Bother-in-law asked to be arrested as soon as we walked into the ground, the police duly obliged and 20yrs later I still have no idea why?

Answers on a website anyone :D

Awful footballer but very good businessman

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, AAK said:

Charlton fans kicked off when they did it against pompey because it was thier 25th anniversary of retuning to the valley, therefore i dont think they dare do it again. 

For me a big away crowd excites me as a home fan and builds the atmosphere, i dont mind it at all, although 7k like we've given before maybe does take the mick, i think away fans should have no more than upper and quarter of lower at ewood. 

That Leeds game last season felt like an away game, we lost the match before it kicked off 

2 minutes ago, AAK said:

Awful footballer but very good businessman

I believe he's done well for himself since he stopped playing.

I never blamed Ward for his disastrous time here, same with Andrews, if the manager picks you and you try hard that's all you can do and neither player was lazy.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

I believe he's done well for himself since he stopped playing.

I never blamed Ward for his disastrous time here, same with Andrews, if the manager picks you and you try hard that's all you can do and neither player was lazy.

Fair point, Gav, he was a trier, but he just wasn't very good at football mate, in my opinion of course. 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

You have a better memory than me - I seem to remember standing on the pitch but not much else of the night, did Moran end up with a bandaged head?

I stood on the pitch. I’ve no idea if people were in the stands 

Just now, Paul said:

I’m sure I was sat down. I was also in the Darwen end (or perhaps BBurn end) for one of the Manchester United away games in the mid 90s

Again, upon reflection I’m thinking I may have been to more than one after promotion - hopefully someone with a better memory will know what games we “beamed back”

Hasnt happened for a long time anyway. 

3 minutes ago, AAK said:

Fair point, Gav, he was a trier, but he just wasn't very good at football mate, in my opinion of course. 

You're absolutely right AAK, he was bloody awful!

But Kidd had to play him to justify the fee he paid, and play him he did....

7 minutes ago, Paul said:

The idea was to have fans in the stand only, but the screen was so poor nobody could see it because of the Sun, so they let fans on the pitch for a better viewing experience, I think.

11 minutes ago, Gav said:

You're absolutely right AAK, he was bloody awful!

But Kidd had to play him to justify the fee he paid, and play him he did....

Nearly puked when you said that, what an awful season that was. Even though we had uncle jack, a still relatively steady and respected club at the time, and premier league status, id take league 1 and this season over that every time, mate. 

18 minutes ago, Biz said:

I’m sure I was sat down. I was also in the Darwen end (or perhaps BBurn end) for one of the Manchester United away games in the mid 90s

Again, upon reflection I’m thinking I may have been to more than one after promotion - hopefully someone with a better memory will know what games we “beamed back”

Hasnt happened for a long time anyway. 

Are we taking about the big screen? If so it was installed in 1998.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Fans were in the nuttall and Darwen end as well as on the pitch. It was a free for all. I chose the pitch.

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Yep,he used it to score!

12 hours ago, Tom said:

I have a vague recollection of being a 7 year old lad and watching the away game at derby on a big screen on the pItch at Ewood.

Yep was there myself with many other thousands on the pitch...the screen was between the BBE and Riverside.Fans were watching from as far as the Darwen End terrace.

Happy Dayz.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

That is just taking the mick. So for £102 you can have a seat in the away end (I thought they were sold out?), a 2 course meal with a drink, programme and team sheet, and a visit from a Charlton 'legend'.

Basically costing £80 for a meal, drink, programme and access to a bar/lounge before the game.

If they have seats available in the away end for hospitality guests to fill why weren't these seats part of the general away allocation?

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I'm sure PL clubs are always at it.

Say Liverpool are away at Chelsea, out of their 3,000 allocation there will be some held back for corporate. 

I thought corporate were usually put into a designated area in the 'main' stand so they could easily access comfy best view seats and go back into the lounge at half time and full time.

By the sounds of things people who buy these tickets will get a meal in the main stand before the game and then will have to exit the ground and go and queue up with the general admission people on the away turnstiles.

So we've gone from a full away allocation sold out to all of a sudden empty seats are appearing in the stand to accommodate people who pay 5x more.

Bournemouth played at Charlton 3 years ago to get promoted to the Premier League and were given 4,000 tickets.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32459759

What's the difference this time?

I'm almost certain Burnley got 4,000+ in 2016 when they won promotion also.

Looks like we aren't even getting the full end behind the goals.

Archived