BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

AFC Bournemouth v ROVERS

18 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why not for sure? Ive asked 2 Rovers fans who was there. No reason to doubt their opinions. 

Villa goal, wall not listening to Raya, Ipswich goal fluke..

Am I concern? Nope. Tonight we were playing a PL team full of quality players. 

Tonight he played wide probably down to who we were playing. 

Not seen the goals as Im at work. 

A common theme with all 3 late goals that we have conceded are that they all came from set pieces. It's clear that we lack a dominant centre back to win the ball in the air and to get us organised from set pieces. Even going back to the last season the late goal's conceded at Bristol Rovers & Rotherham came from set pieces. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I can because AA isn't a winger as his performances this season have shown, which you have somehow ignored.  And to say he was 'superb' last season is a stretch. He scored goals in a poor league because he was given the freedom to roam inside off the line but he would go missing in games quite often. AA is a goalscorer pure and simple. If he scores from out wide all well and good but he isn't going to beat three men on the touchline and cross it in the box. He's not a winger.

The problem is, as you said we dont have natural wingers, Mowbray doesnt like them, so theres always an element of discomfort for any of Palmer, Brereton, Rothwell and Armstrong when played there, to varying degrees. The way that I worded the quote you replied to was incorrect so apologies, replace winger with wide-man/inside forward. The thing is, we know that Armstrong can get plenty of goals from wide and be a massive danger, and work in tandem with Dack and Graham whose places at the moment are set in stone. I appreciate that the standard was poor in League 1, but you could say the same about any of our players who impressed last season. He hasnt been at his best in either position this season but hes been a bit in and out.

My main problem wasnt necessarily with Armstrong playing centrally, it was regarding Brereton. Point being that Armstrong proved last season that he can be effective wide. Forest fans in the main seemed to highlight that one of Breretons main downfalls was being played out of position which was a main reason for his performances dipping. I wanted him to start centrally because we spent a lot of money on him to be our new striker and sticking him in a role that didnt suit him at his previous club made little sense, baring in mind Armstrongs versatility. 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

I didn't accuse you of negativity, I just said that last night was not an example of poor 'game management'.

In general it probably is a worry to Mowbray but it seems to be the result of inexperience and not being too great at keeping the ball. That's where we're at as a team though and I imagine it will continue to happen. If results continue as they are though it would be churlish to complain. 

No, just poor decision making both from Nyambe to throw the ball right back, and mainly from Williams to get sent off. That was seemingly the trigger that indirectly led to a late goal. Chaddy has done a biopsy of all of the recent late goals but all goals can be picked at like that, its the time that worries me.

Maybe the phrase "game management" isnt correct, and I dont profess to knowing how to fix the problem, but it is a worry if it continues. I am happy with the decent start to the season and the direction we are going in, hope that isnt lost amidst this individual criticism, but it would be foolish to dismiss a developing theme.

I do think that the inexperience will be a major factor, and we do need to keep the ball better, something Mowbray mentioned last week, so I agree with you on that.

8 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

A common theme with all 3 late goals that we have conceded are that they all came from set pieces. It's clear that we lack a dominant centre back to win the ball in the air and to get us organised from set pieces. Even going back to the last season the late goal's conceded at Bristol Rovers & Rotherham came from set pieces. 

We do have a lack of height in the team, but the goals at Ipswich and Bristol Rovers were second phase after the initial ball had been defended, and the Villa goal was down to rash play by Reed, and a poorly organised wall and starting position from Raya.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

We do have a lack of height in the team, but the goals at Ipswich and Bristol Rovers were second phase after the initial ball had been defended, and the Villa goal was down to rash play by Reed, and a poorly organised wall and starting position from Raya.

Plus a dive from Grealish and a worldy of a free kick by Hourihane

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The reasons for the individual goals are inconsequential to the point I am making, its the time of the game that is the common denominator. Although last night we had 10 men for about 2 minutes. Please see the post of @roversfan2001 in the thread "why do we concede so many last minute goals" for a well researched point on how we are regularly susceptible to conceding late goals but dont score them. You may not see it as an issue and choose to sweep it under the carpet but others do. 

Why is our 6 million striker playing second fiddle out wide where he has never played effectively prior to joining the club? That said, the comments @Parsonblue are worrying in regards to him looking "tired all night."

I know it was his role last night, and it may be his only chance of starting berth. But you have to accept that, like Brereton, that isnt his position, and he wont be 100% effective there.

Williams missing cause a problem cos He would have been marking Wilson probably. Plus we were facing a quality team. 

The late goals this season have been a fluke or Poor wall. Nothing else  

Brereton played wide last night cos we rested Bennett and Reed. Also to give him match game time. 

Brereton need game time and match fitness. Not going to get that on the bench is he? We all know he needed that before he joined cos he was playing 1st team games. 

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Was a definite free kick. Admittedly superb execution to take advantage of the gap so fair play there.

Grealish got everything that game. Ref was weak. It wasnt a foul in my view. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Williams missing cause a problem cos He would have been marking Wilson probably. Plus we were facing a quality team. 

The late goals this season have been a fluke or Poor wall. Nothing else  

Brereton played wide last night cos we rested Bennett and Reed. Also to give him match game time. 

Brereton need game time and match fitness. Not going to get that on the bench is he? We all know he needed that before he joined cos he was playing 1st team games. 

Grealish got everything that game. Ref was weak. It wasnt a foul in my view. 

I hope and am sure that Mowbray isnt putting down a repeated conceding of goals late on as "flukes." 

I know Brereton needed to play but he should have played up front as I have explained in my above post. Hes made half of his appearances for us in the wrong position. 

Quelle surprise.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I hope and am sure that Mowbray isnt putting down a repeated conceding of goals late on as "flukes." 

I know Brereton needed to play but he should have played up front as I have explained in my above post. Hes made half of his appearances for us in the wrong position. 

Quelle surprise.

I said one goal was a fluke. The another poor wall set up. Which is what Mowbray said about Villa goal. 

If we had been playing a lower league club then Im sure both Armstrong and Brereton would have played up front but instead we were playing Bouremouth. Couldnt go 4-4-2 against them. Armstrong and Brereton are both strikers not wingers

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I said one goal was a fluke. The another poor wall set up. Which is what Mowbray said about Villa goal. 

If we had been playing a lower league club then Im sure both Armstrong and Brereton would have played up front but instead we were playing Bouremouth. Couldnt go 4-4-2 against them. Armstrong and Brereton are both strikers not wingers

I would have played the one out wide who has had success wide for us before, rather than the one whose struggles at Forest coincided with playing wide.

We are splitting hairs now though, I hope Brereton isnt played wide again though. Thats my conclusion.

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I would have played the one out wide who has had success wide for us before, rather than the one whose struggles at Forest coincided with playing wide.

We are splitting hairs now though, I hope Brereton isnt played wide again though. Thats my conclusion.

Both are strikers not wingers. End of story. 

Brereton played there who we were playing and for match fitness. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

• Moderation Lead
1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Also a definite dive 

Was definitely still a free kick though. Reed was a bit naive and Grealish made the most and bought the foul.  Unfortunately for us, so did the referee...

Edited by K-Hod

36 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Was definitely still a free kick though. Reed was a bit naive and Grealish made the most and bought the foul.  Unfortunately for us, so did the referee...

Ya, the lines are blurred now and to be honest its one thing I hate about football. The "he should have went down" stuff. Pundits, fans all say it. It basically means that it wasn't enough contact to actually go down and get a free/penalty, but the player should have dived to give the illusion that it was. Part and parcel of the game these days. Full grown men falling over following feather like touches.

I love watching hurling and rugby as well, but whenever I watch football directly after , I often turn off. I remember one game in particular , Ireland were playing Wales in the rugby and Sean O'Brien got absolutely cleaned off, got up, bang, cleaned again(George North hit him the 1st time and Warburton the 2nd time, both around 6 foot 5 and at least 20 stone). He then got up again and tried to stand so as the Irish defence didn't have any holes in it. He was clearly concussed as he was swaying from side to side, but he stayed standing til the ball went out before collapsing. After that game I turned over to the football and Chlesea were playing Arsenal. after watching 5 minutes of diving and nonsense, I turned off the TV.  The contrast was embarrassing. I was actually embarrassed for the footballers for some of the stuff they were doing. I thought "are they not embarrassed if their kids see them rolling around following being touched on the back?" I suppose the money makes up for it. 

In fairness there is less of it in the championship and below, teams are more honest, but it seems the higher the level, the worse it gets. Some Champions league games between Spanish clubs are especially pathetic. I don't blame the refs, they have to give these calls, but the powers to be need to take this diving stuff seriously. They threaten to, but it always slips off the agenda. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Backroom
20 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

No its not, watch it back.  If Nyambe had have stood up strong and tried to block it he would have.   Instead he's half running away and half ducking......shyte defending and typical of us this season.

Watched it back and the ball goes ROUND the wall, the nearest player to it is Charlie.

'If Nyambe had stood up strong and tried to block it', it would still have gone round the wall.

• Like 2

• Backroom

I understand at times people saying ‘they had the right to go down’ often there’s a foul, enough to disadvantage the striker and Make them lose the chance but not enough to knock them to the ground, the problem is the ref will hardly ever give the foul if they don’t hit the deck.

• Like 1

Just now, Tom said:

I understand at times people saying ‘they had the right to go down’ often there’s a foul, enough to disadvantage the striker and Make them lose the chance but not enough to knock them to the ground, the problem is the ref will hardly ever give the foul if they don’t hit the deck.

Ya true, but there will always be contact, otherwise we are looking at a sport closer to basketball. if players were punished for diving ,they would be more likely to be strong when under pressure.