BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

Neal

The fact is we don't have the demand required to fill the ground to generate revenue to compete at the top of the league we are in. Unlike last minute airlines, we are not a necessity like if you decide you want to use them last minute. Cinemas may do discounted tickets for advance bookings at non peak times but they certainly dont put their prices up in the last hour before the film starts.

Whether it's to save on staff costs or not have too many pies left over, the surcharge penalises casual fans who decide to come at the last minute in order to make the club a bit more money. All very good on a balance sheet but it doesn't promote brand loyalty or good will, something which they have lost a lot of over the last eight years.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

It's to cover extra staff in the ticket office for people rocking up before kick off !

800x£3 = £2400 ------ Who's supplying the staff ?   I want in the rates must be fantastic !     ?

Edited by tomphil

13 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Raglan, Wellington, White Bull, Moorgate, Brown Cow, Fox & Hounds.

That would depend on whether you class the Raglan and the Wellington as lower Livesey Branch as you first quoted though wouldn’t it? In fact aren’t those six the only pubs on LBR now?

On a side note I remember getting the coach from the Raglan when we played Everton away in the FA Cup in the mid 80s. Lineker  beat us that day not Everton. We must have had about 9000 fans there. 

Edited by old darwen blue

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Point being they are all full of Blues on a match day, so you can certainly have a good pre match sup!

Plus you’ve got the Fernhurst, Blues Bar, Ewood WMC next to the ground. So it’s not exactly barren!

Compared to WBA its a garden of Eden for bars to have a match day drink in.

10 hours ago, 47er said:

As others have said the club could offer, say, a ten match ticket which allowed entry to any 10 games over the season. That would allow fans to attend weekend home games (or most of them) while missing mid-week games they can't get to.

There are logistic problems with this suggestion, like which seats do you occupy but since the ground is never even nearly full, there's nothing that couldn't be solved.

As it is, someone who can't make mid-week games is more likely to not buy a season ticket at all. Then they look at individual games and the cost and maybe the surcharge and then maybe the weather forecast and think "stuff it!".

Then they get out of the habit.

Flexible and innovative thinking is required to coax fans back to Ewood and we are not getting any.

The attitude is "we've given you a good team, you're bloody ingrates for not turning up".

Much like, "we've taken your seat away from you, now find somewhere else".

They have a big empty stadium. Easy to have sections of unreserved seating. In the old days you got down early to secure your usual spot on the terrace. It was normal to see the same faces in the same places.

I have never once sat in the seat on my ticket. I just find an empty seat... there tends to be a few thousand of them.

Now wouldn’t it be great if there was some of that flexible and innovative thinking to fill some of them.

10 hours ago, Hasta said:

The fact is we don't have the demand required to fill the ground to generate revenue to compete at the top of the league we are in. Unlike last minute airlines, we are not a necessity like if you decide you want to use them last minute. Cinemas may do discounted tickets for advance bookings at non peak times but they certainly dont put their prices up in the last hour before the film starts.

Whether it's to save on staff costs or not have too many pies left over, the surcharge penalises casual fans who decide to come at the last minute in order to make the club a bit more money. All very good on a balance sheet but it doesn't promote brand loyalty or good will, something which they have lost a lot of over the last eight years.

Nothing further to add, yer honour

Well the DE lower was unreserved seating and was good for a few years before it lost its way again but it didn't get chance to revive itself this season and see if the feel good factor would increase its numbers a bit.

I wouldn't be surprised if a good few of those regulars from in there aren't any more, not the way to go about increasing crowds is it in fact it's the polar opposite !

12 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Waggott does. That’s why he imposed it.

I’m quite sure that this is exactly what I’m saying makes no sense.

“They want money but not fans.” It’s oxymoronic 

Edited by Biz

4 minutes ago, Biz said:

Putting up prices and expecting more fans is counter-intuitive. Putting up prices, expecting more fans and then moaning when it doesn't happen is plain stupid. Which brings us back to Waggott...

14 minutes ago, Biz said:

Of course they want both but which of the 2 is their PRIORITY ?

Actions and inactions all point to the money.... not the fans.

Do you agree with the surcharge , yes or no ?

Do you want more fans to attend, yes or no ?

6 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Putting up prices and expecting more fans is counter-intuitive. Putting up prices, expecting more fans and then moaning when it doesn't happen is plain stupid. Which brings us back to Waggott...

Agreed !

How much were those fireworks ?

Did the money come from the owners or the attendance tax ?

I think I will take exception to none tax payers watching them for free just because its the opposite to the view of the sane majority. ?

Edited by Franky

Just now, Biz said:

They want money but not fans. It’s oxymoronic 

And yet ST prices are going up, walk-on prices have increased, including now taxing casual fans, and attendances have stagnated.  My view is that Waggott doesn’t have the imagination to increase numbers has decided that revenue increases have to be brought in from existing fans. They’ll either pay the extra or buy a ST. Alternatively, they just won’t come.

The atmosphere and momentum from last season has been thrown away by short term thinking. Despite having rich owners rumoured to be wanting to bankroll a promotion charge but for Mowbray talking them down, we are eeking out 11-12k fans and asking them to dig deeper while trying to put off last minute fans from turning up.

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

And yet ST prices are going up, walk-on prices have increased, including now taxing casual fans, and attendances have stagnated.  My view is that Waggott doesn’t have the imagination to increase numbers has decided that revenue increases have to be brought in from existing fans. They’ll either pay the extra or buy a ST. Alternatively, they just won’t come.

The atmosphere and momentum from last season has been thrown away by short term thinking. Despite having rich owners rumoured to be wanting to bankroll a promotion charge but for Mowbray talking them down, we are eeking out 11-12k fans and asking them to dig deeper while trying to put off last minute fans from turning up.

I’ve no doubt they could be more imaginative and on the whole cheaper, but my own personal opinion is there’s been a huge improvement in supporter engagement recently. That also coincides with Waggott and a few others being in charge but I get that it’s natural for some to seek out individuals to criticise.

This “trying to put people off” ruins a decent argument about how they could’ve made it cheaper and probably encourage a thousand or so more.

Its a stupid thing to say when we’ve all seen improved efforts off the field in the recent times. 

For example for any u12 year old, you could get a half ST for 30 quid - that’s less than 3 quid a game. How is that trying to put off parents from buying their kids tickets? It’s only 10 pound a game for 20 year olds too and cheaper in age brackets up to it, that’s personally wanted to see so I applaud the club on those deals.

The 1875 reward scheme is literally 1 year old. It’ll grow but it’s a breath of fresh air already.

For me, the most significant advert for coming to watch is to the investment and improvement on the pitch. I’m assuming you and a few others see that as “trying to put people off” too.

Thus the reaction to this “inconvenient for the 0.1%” charge is still ridiculously overblown from where I am sitting. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Franky said:

Of course they want both but which of the 2 is their PRIORITY ?

Actions and inactions all point to the money.... not the fans.

Do you agree with the surcharge , yes or no ?

Do you want more fans to attend, yes or no ?

Suhail Slayer, please remember that things are never so simple. If they halved the cost, they wouldn’t double the attendance.

• Like 1

Has Waggott ever explained the reasons behind his decision to increase the surcharge this summer from (i think) £2 up to £3. I'd be interested to know why he felt that was necessary or what the logic was behind it, other than to squeeze an extra quid out of the few hundred who buy just before kick off. 

'Oh, but some other clubs have a £3 surcharge' is about all we've had, which isn't a sufficient explanation.

Edited by JHRover

13 minutes ago, Biz said:

I’ve no doubt they could be more imaginative and on the whole cheaper, but my own personal opinion is there’s been a huge improvement in supporter engagement recently. That also coincides with Waggott and a few others being in charge but I get that it’s natural for some to seek out individuals to criticise.

This “trying to put people off” ruins a decent argument about how they could’ve made it cheaper and probably encourage a thousand or so more.

Its a stupid thing to say when we’ve all seen improved efforts off the field in the recent times. 

For example for any u12 year old, you could get a half ST for 30 quid - that’s less than 3 quid a game. How is that trying to put off parents from buying their kids tickets? It’s only 10 pound a game for 20 year olds too and cheaper in age brackets up to it, that’s personally wanted to see so I applaud the club on those deals.

The 1875 reward scheme is literally 1 year old. It’ll grow but it’s a breath of fresh air already.

For me, the most significant advert for coming to watch is to the investment and improvement on the pitch. I’m assuming you and a few others see that as “trying to put people off” too.

Thus the reaction to this “inconvenient for the 0.1%” charge is still ridiculously overblown from where I am sitting. 

Waggott himself has said that the surcharge is designed to avoid late fans arriving. You seem to have lost the point here.

All efforts should be made to get as many fans into the ground as possible. A surcharge does not support that.

I honestly cannot believe that there is a single Rovers fan, nay football fan, that thinks this is a good idea. Yet for some reason some want to shout down fans who say they disagree with it. Just seems like bloody mindedness.

14 minutes ago, Biz said:

Suhail Slayer, please remember that things are never so simple. If they halved the cost, they wouldn’t double the attendance.

No they wouldn't but they probably wouldn't need to with other spend taken into consideration. And nobody is suggesting they halve the cost. Just drop a potentially off putting surcharge and do the odd promotional offer at a time when cash is a bit tight

• Like 1

Just now, gumboots said:

No they wouldn't but they probably wouldn't need to with other spend taken into consideration. And nobody is suggesting they halve the cost. Just drop a potentially off putting surcharge and do the odd promotional offer at a time when cash is a bit tight

There are plenty if you’re interested.

Abolish surcharge for second half of season (compare data from ticket sales at end of season, publish, set next seasons policy accordingly)

Cash Turnstiles or at least Contactless Turnstiles (no staff required)

Unreserved seating sections

Free or subsidised buses from nearby areas with priority in / out access

Get the nearby carparks re-opened

Flexi ST options (10 game unreserved seating for example)

Reboot slogan locally - Fill Ewood - On our way back - Taking back the pride of Lancashire - Move over Burnley

Targetted advertising on new initiatives to the lapsed ST holders (I never get anything from them). To those who went to Oxford game. To those who show buying an odd ticket. To those who buy away tickets but not home.

Isn’t this the purpose of the much lauded database ?

2 or 3 game (or both) ticket bundles for Dec / Jan period !!!! on sale now !!!! buy 4 Xmas, includes free pie voucher if buy before date x.

post game, kids meet the players sessions - fiver

announcements on the scoreboard - tenner

Promotion Pledge for next season’s STs - and on sale EARLY

Xmas giveaway - spend 30 in the clubshop get a fiver off your next home ticket (costs them nothing to fill the empty seats but extra £££ spent in the shop plus matchday spends)

They like a 5 minute Warning don’t they ?

What about random ticket push unexpected 24 hour offers ????

5 minute warning - Sheff Wed tickets buy 1 get second for 20 - next 24 hour only

5 minute warning - Bolton home tickets buy 1 child ticket get 1 free

5 minute warning - Waggotts giveaway - buy a ticket for Wigan home game get a 5er voucher off your next home ticket

5 minute warning - Operation Fill Ewood - Buy a ticket today and get a half price pie & a pint voucher

The only limitation is the imagination of the club !

or maybe I am missing the point ? 

Edited by Franky
  • Like 6