BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

It's not me going on about how he'd be an ok signing, you are. 

I'm actually not doing that at all. I said he would be ok, but I would prefer Rodwell to sign. I actually thought about it on lunch there a little more, I could actually leave Adam in fairness. He strikes me as someone who when the years catch up, they hit like a tonne of bricks. I don't think he has treated his body like a temple.  I doubt we will be signing him anyway. Plenty of players get fit at cubs nearby. 

• Like 1

Just now, Miller11 said:

I have my doubts around his talents, as do 3 Southampton managers judging by the fact he’s been third choice under them.

I’d have Raya over him all day long. Aside from the fact he is 8 years younger, he’s been very good for us on the whole over his 100 or so appearances. With a decent defence in front of him and a quality coach he’d be even better.

Raya single handily throw away points for us last season by silly errors and poor judgement/ temperament. He has been given years now to make the position his own, can’t say he hasn’t been given the chance and yet there is still massive question marks on him. He needed a stronger year last season and he didn’t have it, next! 

Yeah but Tony would rather replace 1 than 3/4. Raya is going or else this wouldn't be in the press.  I think he needs selling but I also think we need 2 defenders 

Yes, it certainly looks like he’s going. I am resigned to that, but not happy about it. I’d be amazed if a better replacement comes in. We lucked in with Raya coming through the academy... previously we replaced Paul Robinson with Jason Steele. Even if Forster wasn’t shit, he also on about 50k a week.

Mowbrays U-turn on his plans to sort the defence out is massively disappointing. I blame myself for being taken in by him and Waggott using words like guarantee and promise... but it looks as though my suspicions were right all along and Venky’s won’t invest in the defence. Hope I’m proved wrong, but it’s not looking likely.

I’m pretty sure that all the talks in India really amounted to were Mowbray and Waggott being reminded of the mantra they have to trot out to supporters at any given opportunity:

“The owners are passionate. The owners are knowledgeable. The owners are supportive. The owners are humble”

All of which is bollocks

• Like 8

Ask yourself what the bigger issue is, is it:

1) Central defender

2) David Raya

Unless we sign a proper CB to play with Lenihan then it doesn't matter who plays in goal on Saturdays.

Improve Raya's coaching and back 4 and we might realise how special he could become. 

Those suggesting selling Raya because we can "do better" must also believe that Middlesbrough's back up GK is better than Raya as that is who TM will buy. Our manager cannot be allowed to sell off one of most promising players, epicially with his track record of signing players.

Would be a move we regret long after Mowbray is sacked before the end of this season.

• Like 4

Just now, Miller11 said:

Yes, it certainly looks like he’s going. I am resigned to that, but not happy about it. I’d be amazed if a better replacement comes in. We lucked in with Raya coming through the academy... previously we replaced Paul Robinson with Jason Steele. Even if Forster wasn’t shit, he also on about 50k a week.

Mowbrays U-turn on his plans to sort the defence out is massively disappointing. I blame myself for being taken in by him and Waggott using words like guarantee and promise... but it looks as though my suspicions were right all along and Venky’s won’t invest in the defence. Hope I’m proved wrong, but it’s not looking likely.

I’m pretty sure that all the talks in India really amounted to were Mowbray and Waggott being reminded of the mantra they have to trot out to supporters at any given opportunity:

“The owners are passionate. The owners are knowledgeable. The owners are supportive. The owners are humble”

All of which is bollocks

Well it’s the supporters that have been taken in for Tony for too long I feel sorry for. Not really much pleasure out of it but I was calling for a change in manager half way through league 1 and I still say Tony isn’t the man for this task. Next season I see nothing but more frustration, same mistakes and Tony giving the fans more lip service that they lap up and insist he knows what he is doing and is a man of the people. Floundering around 15th all season is my prediction 

• Like 3

If were are buying Gallagher I'd like to think Forster on loan could be part of the deal.  With them heavily subsidising his wages. He must want to play. Total opposite to Raya 

Think Forster is on a free.

If were are buying Gallagher I'd like to think Forster on loan could be part of the deal.  With them heavily subsidising his wages. He must want to play. Total opposite to Raya 

Total opposite?

He can’t have been that arsed about playing, or he’d have likely tried to get a loan move at some point over the last 18 months when he hasn’t even made the bench.

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

Ask yourself what the bigger issue is, is it:

1) Central defender

2) David Raya

Unless we sign a proper CB to play with Lenihan then it doesn't matter who plays in goal on Saturdays.

Improve Raya's coaching and back 4 and we might realise how special he could become. 

Those suggesting selling Raya because we can "do better" must also believe that Middlesbrough's back up GK is better than Raya as that is who TM will buy. Our manager cannot be allowed to sell off one of most promising players, epicially with his track record of signing players.

Would be a move we regret long after Mowbray is sacked before the end of this season.

Of course it matters. A confident and experienced keeper will calm things at the back no end. To suggest otherwise is silly and wrong. 

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Well it’s the supporters that have been taken in for Tony for too long I feel sorry for. Not really much pleasure out of it but I was calling for a change in manager half way through league 1 and I still say Tony isn’t the man for this task. Next season I see nothing but more frustration, same mistakes and Tony giving the fans more lip service that they lap up and insist he knows what he is doing and is a man of the people. Floundering around 15th all season is my prediction 

Well thank god nobody at the club had the ludicrous idea to sack half way through League 1 or we could still be stuck down there. 

• Like 3

Ask yourself what is cheaper and easier. 

Selling Raya for a couple of million and bringing in a more experienced goalkeeper for free or on loan.

Signing proven defenders better than what we have whilst telling Mulgrew and William's to go and sit on the bench as they enter the 2nd year of their new contracts.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Ask yourself what is cheaper and easier. 

Selling Raya for a couple of million and bringing in a more experienced goalkeeper for free or on loan.

Signing proven defenders better than what we have whilst telling Mulgrew and William's to go and sit on the bench as they enter the 2nd year of their new contracts.

You mean the way he had Mulgrew sitting on the bench for the last 6 games of the season? Because one of him and Williams, at least, will indeed be sitting on the bench going into the 2nd year of their new contracts. 

I don't think either decision is easy. Hence why so many on here today , who ironically were critical of Raya, are now questioning the decision to sell him. 

It is actually so funny, cos I know for a fact plenty of the same posters would be complaining if he started the first game of the season too! 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

You mean the way he had Mulgrew sitting on the bench for the last 6 games of the season? 

I don't think either decision is easy. Hence why so many on here today , who ironically were critical of Raya, are now questioning the decision to sell him. 

It is actually so funny, cos I know for a fact plenty of the same posters would be complaining if he started the first game of the season too! 

Personally I won't lose any sleep either way. I'm not particularly comfortable with selling an academy product to an outfit like Brentford but at the same time he's replaceable. 

I just find it strange. Can we do better? Yes. But for the money Brentford will pay I'm sure dumping Leutwiler and having Raya competing with a decent keeper would be more sensible from a footballing perspective.

But it seems what we want is a cast iron keeper who will be in the team every week then a backup who isn't serious competition but is cheap.

Just now, JHRover said:

Personally I won't lose any sleep either way. I'm not particularly comfortable with selling an academy product to an outfit like Brentford but at the same time he's replaceable. 

I just find it strange. Can we do better? Yes. But for the money Brentford will pay I'm sure dumping Leutwiler and having Raya competing with a decent keeper would be more sensible from a footballing perspective.

But it seems what we want is a cast iron keeper who will be in the team every week then a backup who isn't serious competition but is cheap.

I don't think we will sell him cheaply and he is very replaceable. 

Ya, I agree it would be best to let Leutwiler go and have Raya compete with someone like Carson. 

I do just wonder and this is wishful /hopeful thinking. If we have the same to spend as last summer, roughly 10 million. Getting lets say 3 million for Raya would move that to 13 million.  That gives a nice bit of wriggle room.

6 million on a centre half, 3 million on a striker and 3 million on a new left back

Boom

:)

Eh...

?

eh

Are ye with me? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I do just wonder and this is wishful /hopeful thinking. If we have the same to spend as last summer, roughly 10 million. Getting lets say 3 million for Raya would move that to 13 million.  That gives a nice bit of wriggle room.

6 million on a centre half and 7 million on a striker 

Boom

Eh...

?

eh

Are ye with me? 

No, I don't believe we'll have 10 million to spend and don't believe we'll get 3 million for Raya. 

If we did it would be:

Up to 2 million for a new GK, up to 3 million for a new CB, then the remaining 8 million divided between a new CF and a CM. 

Ain't going to happen though.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Raya is as 'cast iron' as we're likely to get in the near future imo. De Gea and Pickford dropped as many clangers for their respective clubs as Raya did for us last season.

I can't help but think we're going backwards generally.

• Like 3

Seems like Gally is more or less a done deal after Che Adams joining Southampton today pushing him further down the pecking order  

Where have the rumours for Fraser Forster come from? Or has some just said that he’ll be a good addition?

36 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well thank god nobody at the club had the ludicrous idea to sack half way through League 1 or we could still be stuck down there. 

Tosh in my opinion, a monkey could’ve got us up from that league the year we were in it with the squad we had , quality was amazingly poor. They would probably have won the title too

25 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

6 million on a centre half, 3 million on a striker and 3 million on a new left back

Boom

Eh...

?

eh

Are ye with me? 

Around 5 mill was shelled out last season before wages of the 10 mill you mention so a similar budget might see the second stage payments taking another c5 mill which will leave zero to invest.

This is what I think has happened whilst maybe Mowbray and co were hoping for an extended budget to allow more spends they've got a similar one and been told they've already tied up the headroom in it with what is owed on AA & BB.  Downing S is taking up Conway & Downing wage space so I think so far that's where we are at so it's sell to raise some funds, remember he's been hinting at this for ages, or move some spare earners out which is something Mr Loyalty isn't keen to do.