BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, RV Blue said:

So swap Lenihan and Tosin around, better? Or do you suggest persisting with Mulgrew? If the latter then you’re crazy.

Sorry pal i've not much time for CM these days defence wise but i can't for the life of me see a 19 year old kid who was at right back last season in this league being a safer bet next to Bell.

Swapping Lenihen to wrong side is bonkers.  

THis is the dilemma our ex defender manager has created though.

Personally i think we are that desperate i'd just replace Bell with Downing for this one and see how it goes surely Mulgrew can put the odd good game in.

Just now, tomphil said:

Sorry pal i've not much time for CM these days defence wise but i can't for the life of me see a 19 year old kid who was at right back last season in this league being a safer bet next to Bell.

Swapping Lenihen to wrong side is bonkers.  

THis is the dilemma our ex defender manager has created though.

Personally i think we are that desperate i'd just replace Bell with Downing for this one and see how it goes surely Mulgrew can put the odd good game in.

Assuming you mean at left back, that's exactly how Mowbray thinks and one of the main reasons we are in this defensive mess in the first place.

Just now, davulsukur said:

Assuming you mean at left back, that's exactly how Mowbray thinks and one of the main reasons we are in this defensive mess in the first place.

We are in this defensive mess because players who are not the best in certain position keep getting picked 

• Backroom
Just now, rigger said:

We are in this defensive mess because players who are not the best in certain position keep getting picked 

It's definitely one of the biggest problems. Nyambe - Lenihan - Tosin - Bell isn't a back line that fills me with any confidence but at the moment it's probably the best we can do. I see little option, barring a miracle in the next 24 hours, other than sticking with that and hoping Nyambe and Tosin in particular come good. I don't see how we can avoid damage on the left side as we have no remotely good options to play there. Just have to hope Bell's decision making improves if he's given a solid run of games. I'm not optimistic but what else can we do at this point? I fully expect to see Williams back at LB when he returns to full fitness, which isn't much better but probably slightly more reliable than Bell. 

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

He’s shite, but name a better left back at the club?

There isn't one.

Downing the only realistic alternative for a MUST WIN league game.

Unless of course we have a marquee signing in place for tomorrow.

Bell is a third division player and has proven that is his limit.

59 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

And just how do you work that out? 3 of the aren’t left backs, and one did no better than Bell did in league 1 (and he’s injured).

I'd say only 2 aren't known Left backs, and Grayson better suited to that role than CB. Hart should be back very soon fortunately. Hart was popular at Southend, not sure Bell has ever been that popular here. Bell is the most ponderous player I have ever seen; not a very good trait. 

1 hour ago, bazza said:

Eight Bells on hands and knees to Craven Cottage.

3 hours ago, rigger said:

I would suggest-             Euston on Victoria line to Victoria.

Victoria on district line to Earls court.

Earls court on district line to Putney bridge.

Putney bridge on foot to Eight bells (on the lash)

Good to see some transfer activity! Ha ha! 

Good for you helping your fellow Rovers amigos. :-)

Just now, Vilesinner said:

Not really, I'd give the Tea lady a game at left back before Williams and Bell. Hart has been excellent preseason and very solid while on loan in a high pressure situation. 

Also Hasn’t Mulgrew played left back internationally. Downing looked OK against Rangers

Edited by rigger

Bell and WIlliams have shown that they are not good enough but for people to suddenyl suggest a young LB that has been on loan in lower leagues past couple seasons, a 35-year old left winger and a young CB kid are now better than both, is quite comical to say the least. Thats more guesswork than opinion.

Just now, Vilesinner said:

Not really, I'd give the Tea lady a game at left back before Williams and Bell. Hart has been excellent preseason and very solid while on loan in a high pressure situation. 

Our pre-season programme has done nothing for our players apart from a sense of misplaced confidence - possibly even complacency.

Got to hope that last Saturday was the kick in the nuts that they all need.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Bell and WIlliams have shown that they are not good enough but for people to suddenyl suggest a young LB that has been on loan in lower leagues past couple seasons, a 35-year old left winger and a young CB kid are now better than both, is quite comical to say the least. Thats more guesswork than opinion.

No it is totally an opinion and one I am entitled to.

Just now, rigger said:

No it is totally an opinion and one I am entitled to.

Of course.

But Downing has played once at left back to date in his career as far as i can tell. Hart didnt really tear up trees in lower leagues but looked promising in preseason and deserves a shot as backup. Mulgrew has played there in his younger days but obviously does not want to play anywhere else because of his international position.

Bell is poor and Williams too but still, i would need more evidence that we have anyone on the books that could do better. We need new.

• Moderation Lead

I really hope that the people suggesting we play Downing at left back also criticise Mowbray for playing people out of position.... 

Being real though, I’d rather we just did the unthinkable and didn’t play players out of position!

Just now, K-Hod said:

I really hope that the people suggesting we play Downing at left back also criticise Mowbray for playing people out of position.... 

Being real though, I’d rather we just did the unthinkable and didn’t play players out of position!

Nobody is suggesting Downing is the answer to our fullback problem. Just that he is better than Bell 

• Like 1

Just now, K-Hod said:

Thats kind of the point.

Mowbray will think Downing is the best competition for LWB so thinks we are OK and don't need to buy one.

Ironically in this case he is absolutely correct because Bell is so poor.

We really need a new LB but Tony thinks we are well covered.

Downing is the best alternative we have.

Edited by OldEwoodBlue