BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

12 hours ago, Upside Down said:

For those who ask where we'd be without Venkys, just watch this video for your answer. The mighty Liverpool F.C lucky to come away frem Ewood with a point.

If we'd have had just 10% of the determination shown in this game, this year, we'd have absolutely pissed it into second place.

Exactly.

My answer to anybody who says, where would we/you be without Venky's, is always the same:

"Still in the Premier League, that's where".

I've seen some fans say things like 'relegation was inevitable, we would have gone down at some stage anyway'. I don't buy that crap and see it as nothing but a coping mechanism. We weren't in any real danger until these clowns arrived and proceeded to throw it all away.

Edited by SuperBrfc
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, SuperBrfc said:

Exactly.

My answer to anybody who says, where would we/you be without Venky's, is always the same:

I've seen some fans say things like 'relegation was inevitable, we would have gone down at some stage anyway'. I don't buy that crap and see it as nothing but a coping mechanism. We weren't in any real danger until these clowns arrived and proceeded to throw it all away.

And paid out £300 million apparently to do just that. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

And paid out £300 million apparently to do just that. 

Sheer stupidity. They deserve it and everything else that has gone against us during their reign. Sadly, they aren't the ones affected or hurt by it. They have shown no urgency in all of this time to put things right, which tells us they aren't bothered.

Just imagine, the huge Sky TV money, that came into play after we went down, in the hands of John Williams. We are in this mess today because of them, so quite why we are expected to be grateful to them for paying the bills, I don't know.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Exactly.

We may well have gone down at some point, the Ince incident was evidence that mistakes can be made and they can almost be fatal for club’s our size (though JW quickly got the clown out the door and replaced with a proper manager).

Difference being if the worst had happened under the JW regime, the parachute money would not have been pissed up the wall and half the ST holder base would not have disappeared overnight. We are still suffering due to the ridiculous and arrogant decision making (oh sorry, ‘naive’) made between 2010 and 2012.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

We may well have gone down at some point, the Ince incident was evidence that mistakes can be made and they can almost be fatal for club’s our size (though JW quickly got the clown out the door and replaced with a proper manager).

Difference being if the worst had happened under the JW regime, the parachute money would not have been pissed up the wall and half the ST holder base would not have disappeared overnight. We are still suffering due to the ridiculous and arrogant decision making (oh sorry, ‘naive’) made between 2010 and 2012.

Yeah, I'm not saying we would have stayed up indefinitely. There was a possibility that we may have gone down if poor decisions had been made or repeated e.g on the lines of the Ince appointment. My gripe with that relegation line is more that it is used by some to excuse mediocrity in the Championship, to become comfortable with it and to embrace it with things like "this is our natural level" and "we can't compete with x, y and z". Then after years of the standards being lowered it becomes "we'd only get battered in the Prem if we went up" and "forget the Premier League". I can't stand hearing or reading any of that especially as we were in such a stable, solid condition in 2010, finishing 10th in the Prem, reaching the cup semi final and in no real danger of going down.

It's a losing mentality which has been brought about by Venky's and has infected the club and a large part of the fan base, from what I read and hear.

On your last paragraph. Absolutely agree. JW made mistakes and didn't always get things right, but there's no chance 10,000 fans are walking away under him and he'd have done whatever it took to get us back up as soon as possible.

Edited by SuperBrfc
  • Like 3

I had waggys tales delivered at the weekend.

David wagstaffe is the author. Somewhat limited interest as it's mainly wolves, but there's some good rovers stuff in there and it only cost three quid.

When he signed for rovers he bought a guest house in Blackpool to run, Jack walker have him some steel at a good price to do an extension.

When he turned up to sign he was shocked to discover Jim smiths office was the upstairs bedroom of a house opposite the stadium

He refers to Wh Bancroft as Billy Bancroft. He used to come off at full time and Billy would hand him a lit fag

There's a story about a striker, well it is seventies football

Then there's this hysterical story about how after training the players were due to have a team meeting in the dressing room. Stuart metcalfe turns up late with everyone's chip shop order.etcalfe is referred to as Mecca by waggy. There's another player called smigga no idea who that is. Jim Smith does his nut. So funny

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, broadsword said:

I had waggys tales delivered at the weekend.

David wagstaffe is the author. Somewhat limited interest as it's mainly wolves, but there's some good rovers stuff in there and it only cost three quid.

When he signed for rovers he bought a guest house in Blackpool to run, Jack walker have him some steel at a good price to do an extension.

When he turned up to sign he was shocked to discover Jim smiths office was the upstairs bedroom of a house opposite the stadium

He refers to Wh Bancroft as Billy Bancroft. He used to come off at full time and Billy would hand him a lit fag

There's a story about a striker, well it is seventies football

Then there's this hysterical story about how after training the players were due to have a team meeting in the dressing room. Stuart metcalfe turns up late with everyone's chip shop order.etcalfe is referred to as Mecca by waggy. There's another player called smigga no idea who that is. Jim Smith does his nut. So funny

Top player in his hey day.

49 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Top player in his hey day.

Some clips of him here for wolves. 

still no idea on who smigga was. Mauve bobby svarc? I found out from his wiki page, he was name checked in a half man half biscuit song

Edited by broadsword
  • Like 2

Lovely player was Waggy. Left foot like a claw, beat a man and cross the ball. Great passer too. Never won an England cap which is a shame considering some of the dross that won multiple caps in the years since he played. Died 10 years ago, aged 70. It's a shock to see him in the youtube video.... this is how I remember him.

wagg.jpg

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, broadsword said:

Some clips of him here for wolves. 

still no idea on who smigga was. Mauve bobby svarc? I found out from his wiki page, he was name checked in a half man half biscuit song

Smigger is often a nickname for someone with the surname Smith - no idea if that helps!!

16 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

first player to be shown a red card in the football league i do believe

Yeah, funnily enough there's a story on his book about that as well. He wasn't too keen on the football league I would say.

This is the funny bit, he got a yellow and the ref got his yellow out and showed it to all four corners of the ground in turn. Waggy commented to him that that was jolly silly as it would upset the crowd. At which point he got booked again and sent off 😂

Funnily enough, he showed the red to all four corners as well

Also mentioned was squadron leader Joe mercer, who travelled to every rovers away game from Newquay. Blimey must've cost a packet

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Lovely player was Waggy. Left foot like a claw, beat a man and cross the ball. Great passer too. Never won an England cap which is a shame considering some of the dross that won multiple caps in the years since he played. Died 10 years ago, aged 70. It's a shock to see him in the youtube video.... this is how I remember him.

wagg.jpg

There were a lot of good wingers then Jim. Every team had at least one. The likes of  Peter Thompson only got a few caps. Our Mike Harrison only played for the Under -23’s.

20 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There were a lot of good wingers then Jim. Every team had at least one. The likes of  Peter Thompson only got a few caps. Our Mike Harrison only played for the Under -23’s.

Yes I was going to post the same. Good wingers were always exciting. Alf Ramsey had alot to answer for

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, renrag said:

I knew Joe very well. He was from Gt Harwood and a member of a well known family of gents outfitters in the town, who were all massive Rovers fans. To be pedantic he lived in Wadebridge, where he ran a hotel, Also he went to every home game and drove up in his MG sports car. That’s what I would call a committed supporter

Wowsers. Salute to Joe

• Like 1

4 hours ago, renrag said:

I knew Joe very well. He was from Gt Harwood and a member of a well known family of gents outfitters in the town, who were all massive Rovers fans. To be pedantic he lived in Wadebridge, where he ran a hotel, Also he went to every home game and drove up in his MG sports car. That’s what I would call a committed supporter

I remember going into Mercers for a suit.