BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

27 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Great little player. He would have got us up this season just like he did previously. How could you not want to bust a gut with him and Moran in the team ?

id`e have loved to see speedie and shearer together,they would have been dynamite,just a shame he left as part of the shearer deal😒,iv`e never seen such a little bloke head the ball as well as him,he used to hang in the air for ages,considering gallagher is 6"4 his heading is shamefull

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

id`e have loved to see speedie and shearer together,they would have been dynamite,just a shame he left as part of the shearer deal😒,iv`e never seen such a little bloke head the ball as well as him,he used to hang in the air for ages,considering gallagher is 6"4 his heading is shamefull

Speedie would out jump either of Brererton or Gallagher.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Great little player. He would have got us up this season just like he did previously. How could you not want to bust a gut with him and Moran in the team ?

And Hendry and Cowans, even Nicky Reid was still around that season.

A team of captains, same in 2001 with Brad, Berg, Short, Flitcroft, Hughes - contrast it with the current lot.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I got interviewed for TV outside the Football Store in Carnaby Street that week, the reporter mentioned something about 

Gary Lineker and I said he should have signed for Blackburn Rovers, he looked at me like I was an alien, obviously had not ehard the rumour

• Like 2

1 hour ago, berkshireblue said:

I got interviewed for TV outside the Football Store in Carnaby Street that week, the reporter mentioned something about 

Gary Lineker and I said he should have signed for Blackburn Rovers, he looked at me like I was an alien, obviously had not ehard the rumour

His loss and our good fortune I’ve always thought. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

we used to call roberts "jigsaw" he went to pieces in the box😉

His first touch was abysmal at times, and he wasn't the cleanest striker of a ball, but I liked how he would use his strength to back into defenders and roll them.

Couldn't really be relied upon for goals, but he was a handful whilst Roque and Benni did the real damage alongside him. He did score a few himself too, to be fair. Levels above a lot of the crap we have seen since 2012, a couple of exceptions aside.

• Like 2

These days we struggle to score more than one goal a game, but looking back, we have dished out a few impressive beatings in our time.

Here are just two of them.

Two classy goals from Hakan Sukur in this one:

Then we have this from St Andrews. A Tugay stunner and two fantastic assists from Cole:

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

These days we struggle to score more than one goal a game, but looking back, we have dished out a few impressive beatings in our time.

Then we have this from St Andrews. A Tugay stunner and two fantastic assists from Cole:

Sukur was a class act. I remember that game, he gave a exhibition of how to play centre forward.

• Like 3

While we’re talking about ex strikers, how about Yakubu? I was totally underwhelmed when I heard we’d signed him, but what a class act he turned out to be. Imagine how this season would have gone if we’d have had him on the end of a few crosses.

There aren’t many videos of him, so sorry about the quality of this short clip.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Graham Poll - I’d forgotten about that dickhead 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, den said:

While we’re talking about ex strikers, how about Yakubu? I was totally underwhelmed when I heard we’d signed him, but what a class act he turned out to be. Imagine how this season would have gone if we’d have had him on the end of a few crosses.

There aren’t many videos of him, so sorry about the quality of this short clip.

Yakubu was the last top striker we had, in my view. I view him as being part of our collection of excellent strikers over the last 30 years.

Due to age, that collection starts with Shearer for me and ends with the Yak (for now, until these owners piss off and we have an actual will and desire to look for quality again).

For him to score 17 League goals that season during such a dark time for the club, with all kinds of problems on and off the pitch, and that odious tosser in the dugout. It says a lot about his ability.

It's a shame we didn't sign him a couple of years earlier, before the mess, as I feel his time here is often overlooked. Not due to him, but due to the state of the club at that time and the bad memories of that season.

Imagine if we had a 17 goal Yakubu in 09/10 under Big Sam, when the club was still healthy and ambitious. That League Cup could have been ours again.

• Like 1