BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

Interesting to see Jim Wilkinson’s  comments regarding the gate at the game the day before on Good Friday. 14,361 as against 11,451 on the Saturday. We played Sheffield Wednesday and we won in a canter, 3-0. Byrom 1 and McEvoy 2 the scorers. One of Andy’s was a really acrobatic volley. Fred Pickering even had time to miss a penalty. He was up against England keeper Ron Springett. Ron had the technique of not standing in the centre of the goals but about a yard to one side, leaving a bigger gap on the side of his dominant right hand. He was daring the taker to go for the bigger gap. I’ve never seen another goalkeeper do it.  Fred went for the big gap and Springett saved it with ease.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

There's always been something special about Rovers v Newcastle games for me (Pre 2010, of course).

It's the one game (aside from the obvious) that I'm really looking forward to seeing again as a Premier League fixture, especially with them looking like they are going to be near the top end from now on.

Anyway, here's a cracker from 2002 that I remember being at. Some big names on the scoresheet, with the main man sealing Champions League qualification for them that evening.

26 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Looks like it. I don’t remember the game.

I’ve got a feeling it’s Millwall away, only because I’ve seen a number of pics of Rovers players clearly from the same game.

A national photographer must have been in attendance that day. 

Edited by Gav

I would hope and pray that wouldn't be allowed these days. No bandage, no stitches, nothing by the looks of it.

Yeah, it's bravery. But medical discretion is the better part of honour. I know Hendry is worried about the damage he's potentially done himself. John McNamee isn't very well, he's another tough ex defender. I've been reading a bit of Rob burrows book. It makes for sobering reading.

I don't want to be a stick in the mud. I know people like watching gladiatorial contests. But if guys are playing like that every week, they're risking their health

Edited by broadsword

2 minutes ago, broadsword said:

I would hope and pray that wouldn't be allowed these days. No bandage, no stitches, nothing by the looks of it.

Yeah, it's bravery. But medical discretion is the better part of honour. I know Hendry is worried about the damage he's potentially done himself. John McNamee isn't very well, he's another tough ex defender. I've been reading a bit of Rob burrows book. It makes for sobering reading.

I don't want to be a stick in the mud. I know people like watching gladiatorial contests. But if guys are playing like that every week, they're risking their health

it was most likely 40+ years ago

10 minutes ago, broadsword said:

Oh it would've been forty of years ago.

But it's no wonder we've got ex players now with so many issues, when things like that were happening

ironically listening to faz on the radio and on a podcast,he`s as lucid,intelligent and articulate as ever,even after heading a football for twenty years and dealing with vicious centre forwards of the time

does anyone know what glenn keeley is up to these days

• Like 1

13 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

ironically listening to faz on the radio and on a podcast,he`s as lucid,intelligent and articulate as ever,even after heading a football for twenty years and dealing with vicious centre forwards of the time

does anyone know what glenn keeley is up to these days

Shops in Lidl near me! 🤣

Seriously. I saw him in there a few weeks back.

On 25/04/2023 at 10:16, JohnD said:

Sadly ruined for the majority by our pitch invading Dingle fans

Why was it ruined? That sounds a slight grumpy exaggeration

People ran onto the pitch ( me included , excepted I walked from the home stand) celebrated and left, managing to walk into the bar at hospitality via the Directors Box on the way back

The rovers team came out and fans stayed in the stand and everyone celebrated, happy days

They were asked not to enter the playing area, if they hadn't the team would have celebrated in front of all away supporters. Because they did and refused to leave the pitch for a considerable time the majority of fans were denied the experience.

Many, the majority, cannot get onto the pitch or wouldn't want to and preferred to allow all to enjoy the celebrations, sadly our morons and Dingles prevented it, well done you.

9 minutes ago, JohnD said:

They were asked not to enter the playing area, if they hadn't the team would have celebrated in front of all away supporters. Because they did and refused to leave the pitch for a considerable time the majority of fans were denied the experience.

Many, the majority, cannot get onto the pitch or wouldn't want to and preferred to allow all to enjoy the celebrations, sadly our morons and Dingles prevented it, well done you.

To be fair, I did not run on, after the pitch invasion had happened I merely walked on , had a photo and departed. However you are inaccurate, the team came back out and they celebrated in front of the supporters, perhaps you left early and missed that.

As much as I deplore pitch invasions, after Steve Kean, 2 relegations and Venky ownership, an impromptu outpouring of emotions can be forgiven. Its called life and happiness

• Like 1