BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

14 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

Just seen this on Twitter,some people on here must have been to it.It's a cold enough place on any day but Oldham on Boxing Day must have been freezing.

Went to this game with an Oldham-supporting friend of my dad's. Free tickets sat in the front of the stand (Ford Stand?) opposite the main stand. Luckily surrounded by forgiving Latics fans!! Just realised that was the 5-0 in 1979, Was on the away end for the Boxing Day match.

Edited by oneandycrawford
Dodgy memory!
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

Just seen this on Twitter,some people on here must have been to it.It's a cold enough place on any day but Oldham on Boxing Day must have been freezing.

What amazes me is when you watch old footage of us from the 80s, every other goal was from a corner.

18 minutes ago, Gordon Ottershaw said:

I was there as a 14 year old and went on the train with my snot nosed mates! Great season, great memories.

Same age, Remember that game as one of those where we scored first and the defence was so good we had supreme confidence in another 1-0 win! Fantastic days out that season. The days of scarves streaming out of car windows!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, oneandycrawford said:

Same age, Remember that game as one of those where we scored first and the defence was so good we had supreme confidence in another 1-0 win! Fantastic days out that season. The days of scarves streaming out of car windows!

Such an effective team. I remember us going up and then taking the Second Division by storm. We played Derby away early that first season back up. I think we drew but Mickey Speight thwacked the crossbar with A free kick and we battered them. Sadly Kendall was too good to not attract the attention of First Division clubs and him going was inevitable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Upside Down said:

What amazes me is when you watch old footage of us from the 80s, every other goal was from a corner.

You didn’t have 20 players in the penalty box then so the chances of getting a free header from a corner was greater.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, oneandycrawford said:

Went to this game with an Oldham-supporting friend of my dad's. Free tickets sat in the front of the stand (Ford Stand?) opposite the main stand. Luckily surrounded by forgiving Latics fans!! Just realised that was the 5-0 in 1979, Was on the away end for the Boxing Day match.

!!

Edited by blondie
missing twiitter vidoe link

41 minutes ago, renrag said:

What a season to come upon by chance Tyrone. Johnny Carey’s philosophy was, if we score one more goal than the opposition then we’re doing fine. All 5 forwards were in double figures by Christmas and we had several 4’s and 5’s with a 7, 8 and 9 thrown in, including Tommy Briggs’ 7 against Bristol Rovers. We also conceded plenty too.

You also list Billy Kelly (actually Willie to be pedantic). He was a no nonsense Centre Half only about 5’ 9” but as tough as nails he could out jump the tallest Centre Forward. He once got carried off injured, came back to finish tha game and afterwards discovered he had cracked ribs but only missed about four games. He also had a brother, Walter, who played Centre Forward for Bury. Their clashes were something to behold, not an inch given and the referees let them get on with it. At the end of the game they’d leave the pitch with their arms round each other’s shoulders. Yeah! Those were memorable times

“Iron Man Kelly”

I had the pleasure of him being a regular in my local for a while when I first started drinking. He gave me some unbelievable football advice in respect of the dark arts. Trouble is I think @arbitro heard most of it too 😂😂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, renrag said:

What a season to come upon by chance Tyrone. Johnny Carey’s philosophy was, if we score one more goal than the opposition then we’re doing fine. All 5 forwards were in double figures by Christmas and we had several 4’s and 5’s with a 7, 8 and 9 thrown in, including Tommy Briggs’ 7 against Bristol Rovers. We also conceded plenty too.

You also list Billy Kelly (actually Willie to be pedantic). He was a no nonsense Centre Half only about 5’ 9” but as tough as nails he could out jump the tallest Centre Forward. He once got carried off injured, came back to finish tha game and afterwards discovered he had cracked ribs but only missed about four games. He also had a brother, Walter, who played Centre Forward for Bury. Their clashes were something to behold, not an inch given and the referees let them get on with it. At the end of the game they’d leave the pitch with their arms round each other’s shoulders. Yeah! Those were memorable times

Great knowledge 👍

We lost of course, but some great footage in the early part of the clip, this was the start of the revolution which ended up at Anfield. We should have one 1 cup that season, but went out to both Sheffield clubs sadly.

13 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Wilcox - how not to talk a penalty. As good as a back pass.

True.

Tell you what though, he came a long way from Riverside whipping boy to Premiership Champion.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He was the weak link in that team. We needed a new left winger and a new centre half. We got Matty Holmes.

Not according to Shearer and he should have played in Euro96.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, den said:

I haven’t seen that either Gav. Fantastic pictures. 

95 years ago.

Where did you used to stand on the old ground den?

I started off on Riverside then moved into Bburn End, but I did like being on Darwen End for a period in the late 80's when gates went up and away teams got the Darwen End enclosure. 

22 minutes ago, Gav said:

Where did you used to stand on the old ground den?

I started off on Riverside then moved into Bburn End, but I did like being on Darwen End for a period in the late 80's when gates went up and away teams got the Darwen End enclosure. 

Darwen end, but after the toss, if rovers were kicking towards the Blackburn end made a rush to the Blackburn end.  Moved to the riverside shortly after, standing in the same spot next to the Stantion every game - just over the halfway line towards the Blackburn end. Finished up in the Jack Walker upper after it was redeveloped.

• Like 1