BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

11 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

As requested by @R0verb0y

Thanks, @wilsdenrover.

One of my brightest memories of the early '60s was being on a Ribble bus with my parents one Sunday evening going back home to Blackpool after a weekend in Blackburn.

It passed a queue containing Ally McLeod for whatever was on at the Majestic cinema that evening. I couldn't imagine that someone as important - to a 13-year-old Rovers fanatic - would have to take his place in a cinema queue!

As regards the photo you've forwarded, it doesn't include Jack Airey, who's a neighbour of mine these days. In those days of not even one substitute and the Central League for Reserve teams, Jack only made a few appearances for the first team and only scored one goal. Mind you, it was on his debut at Ewood against Burnleh in a 4-1 win in 1959 - our first season back in Division One - so I reckon it should count at least double!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gav said:

It's the last day of the season 1957/58 and for both sides everything rests on this game. Blackburn visit The Valley needing a win to pip Charlton to promotion to the First Division. Scenes outside the ground as over 56,000 turn up. Teams run on to pitch followed by the briefest of action from Blackburn's 4-3 win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=JpEre63cNvo

I remember my Dad & I listening  to the BBC Light Programme commentary on that game. I was SO-O-O happy; at last we were in the same Division as the team followed by almost all - one or two had moved to the Fylde Coast from Manchestoh and followed family tradition by supporting Man. United - my schoolmates.

1 hour ago, R0verb0y said:

I remember my Dad & I listening  to the BBC Light Programme commentary on that game. I was SO-O-O happy; at last we were in the same Division as the team followed by almost all - one or two had moved to the Fylde Coast from Manchestoh and followed family tradition by supporting Man. United - my schoolmates.

The club ran trains to the game, a bloke I used to work with went, one of his best moments watching the club he said, passed away a few years back sadly.

25 minutes ago, renrag said:

It was the cup replay and Peter Dobing had completed his National Service the day before. He was absolutely magic that night as he was in the next round in a 3-1 win against the all conquering Spurs at White Hart Lane

He was a great player in my book. He was brilliant when he dropped into midfield later in his career at Stoke.

19 minutes ago, Gav said:

Great shirt, great socks, not so great tackle.

Luton at home 1980 - Rovers won 3-0 (Garner 2 and Stonehouse) Att: 9076

MAIN PHOTO P808 Brian Stein is tackled unfairly.jpg

Who is the Rovers player? I can't decide between Chris Thompson and Andy Crawford (although as forwards why would they be tackling the opposition's main striker)?

35 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Who is the Rovers player? I can't decide between Chris Thompson and Andy Crawford (although as forwards why would they be tackling the opposition's main striker)?

Here’s your choices - the team for that game.

Arnold

Branagan , Keeley, Fazackerley, De Vries

Brotherston, Kendall, Speight, McKenzie

Garner, Stonehouse

No subs.

DeVries was a left back we signed from Hull. He played  16 games for us in the 1980-81 season. He lost his place to Mick Rathbone.

Looking at photos of him I’d say he’s a likely candidate.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Fantastic to see the old Riverside again.Looks lower down than I remember it,

39 minutes ago, arbitro said:

99.9% sure its Roger De Vries Tony.

Edit - I see Tyrone beat me to it 🙂

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Well spotted. I’d forgotten about him. I played Left Back at times. That’s definitely a full backs tackle back in the day. Now it would be a card, then it was “ play on “.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I remember the name Andy and that we got him from Hull but I'm buggered if I can remember what he looked like. It also makes sense as he would have been at full back putting the tackle in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, renrag said:

Same here Tony! Yet it’s odd he’s in the right back position when Branagan is listed in that position

He could easily be in the left back position there, Stein seems to be attacking the Darwen End. Probably breaking from a Rovers attack?

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you could have one player from that team to play for us on Friday who would it be ? 

For me it would be Howard Kendall to play in place of John Buckley.

Kendall, Garner, Brotherston or Speight