BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you could have one player from that team to play for us on Friday who would it be ? 

For me it would be Howard Kendall to play in place of John Buckley.

That's a good question Tyrone. I think Simon Garner as we don't have what I consider a natural goalscorer now. Can you imagine though the 80's Garner fitting into today's version of the sports science, nutrition driven athletes we have today 😂😂

• Like 3

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You can’t have four. Come down off the fence please. On another tack how many of that team would get in the current team ? Quite a few I think. Jim Arnold to name only one. 

In terms of giving us something we don't have it would need to be Garner then. Always brilliant at getting us a goal in a tight game.

• Like 3

Just now, arbitro said:

That's a good question Tyrone. I think Simon Garner as we don't have what I consider a natural goalscorer now. Can you imagine though the 80's Garner fitting into today's version of the sports science, nutrition driven athletes we have today 😂😂

I agree a goalscorer of Garner’s standing is what we are short of at the moment but as long as we keep getting one more than our opponents we’ll be ok.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, renrag said:

I’d forgotten that chapel in the picture just outside the Blackburn end. When was that pulled down?

Me too! It came flooding back when I saw the photo but I can't say when it was pulled down.

Here's some history about it. Ceased services in 1958 but doesn't say when it was pulled down.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/5952885.brief-last-glimpse-victorian-chapel/

Edited by 47er

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’d have Kendall for his all round football nous.

Yeah he was a top, top player. I was surprised at just how good he actually was when he came to Ewood, because he must have been what, mid 30s by then? But he absolutely controlled games. The only other ageing pros I can recall who came in and did it to that extent were Gordon Cowans and that little Turkish maestro. 

42 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Yeah he was a top, top player. I was surprised at just how good he actually was when he came to Ewood, because he must have been what, mid 30s by then? But he absolutely controlled games. The only other ageing pros I can recall who came in and did it to that extent were Gordon Cowans and that little Turkish maestro. 

Yeah he was exactly the same age as me and I always envied his career. That was until Everton came to Rochdale in a pre season friendly. He came over to take a throw in right in front on me and I spotted a bald patch emerging under a comb over at the back of his head ! This would be when both of us were about 21 or 22. I wasn’t so jealous then.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you could have one player from that team to play for us on Friday who would it be ? 

For me it would be Howard Kendall to play in place of John Buckley.

Good shout but I would have Duncan McKenzie in any Rovers side. I loved him!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Good shout but I would have Duncan McKenzie in any Rovers side. I loved him!

Absolute class wasn’t he.

Couldn’t find a video of him in rovers colours.

image.jpeg.97fd0c39ddb277866b07a63c52be08a7.jpeg

Edited by den
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, JohnD said:

Not sure where to post this, perhaps everywhere? ☺️

FB_IMG_1678116613844.jpg.fc5dada3e2aab7494ca7254b8efc4823.jpg

Well, @JohnD , I've just WhatsApp'd it to my Burnleh-supporting old schoolmate in NZ, pointing out that it appears to pre-date His Lot getting within 5 minutes of dropping out of the entire Football League!

• Like 1

I came across this some time ago and I've kind of guessed it is Rovers apprentices from the 70's on a referees course and was the norm at that time. I think they are back row: David Lloyd, ?, Richard Dinnis, Kevin Hird, ?, Front row: ?, ?, David Bradford, ?, ?, Dennis Letts. The instructor is Ivan Smith.

any ideas?

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I came across this some time ago and I've kind of guessed it is Rovers apprentices from the 70's on a referees course and was the norm at that time. I think they are back row: David Lloyd, ?, Richard Dinnis, Kevin Hird, ?, Front row: ?, ?, David Bradford, ?, ?, Dennis Letts. The instructor is Ivan Smith.

any ideas?

Is the lad second from the left on the front row Gerry MacDonald ?

7 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Good article. The Plymouth game was a few years too early for me but my old man always talks about it as one of the best days he's ever had at Ewood. I've always had a bit of soft spot for Plymouth as a result. Good to see them in with a shout of a repeat promotion from the same league this season.  

BTW, who did we clinch the title against in front of 21k?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Good article. The Plymouth game was a few years too early for me but my old man always talks about it as one of the best days he's ever had at Ewood. I've always had a bit of soft spot for Plymouth as a result. Good to see them in with a shout of a repeat promotion from the same league this season.  

BTW, who did we clinch the title against in front of 21k?

Wrexham. 0-0, and it really was a 0-0.  It was like watching paint dry but nobody was too bothered.

I was at the Plymouth game. It was everything people say it was, a real game of two halves. Once we got going it was one way traffic. A bit like the first half of the recent Leicester game.

• Like 3