BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

3 hours ago, Gav said:

I always remember when we brought Dalglish in my dad, in true Blackburn style, said

"What do we want him for, bloody rubbish, he's past it" 🤣

I'm bouncing off the walls with excitement, I can't sleep before games I'm that excited at what's to come and he's just "Bloody Rubbish"

You read it now on here, of course on a much lesser scale, every player and every manager linked "Bloody Rubbish" but not said in as few words, must be a Blackburn thing.

i could`nt believe it when dalglish was appointed,i was expecting another don mackay type(i.e a decent coach who could work on a small budget) we were buzzing at the plymouth home game,it was starting to dawn on us that something very exciting was happening at rovers,who would have though kenny dalglish would be managing blackburn😊

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i could`nt believe it when dalglish was appointed,i was expecting another don mackay type(i.e a decent coach who could work on a small budget) we were buzzing at the plymouth home game,it was starting to dawn on us that something very exciting was happening at rovers,who would have though kenny dalglish would be managing blackburn😊

You would have got serious odds at the bookies if you had said in January 1991 when Dalglish was in Liverpools dugout at Ewood Park for the FA cup game that in 9 months he will be Blackburn manager.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nuttall is lost said:

You would have got serious odds at the bookies if you had said in January 1991 when Dalglish was in Liverpools dugout at Ewood Park for the FA cup game that in 9 months he will be Blackburn manager.

Was that the Atkins own goal game? 

Edited by Gav

9 minutes ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Yes sir.

Last minute own goal I think. I think Liverpool were starting to show signs of a wobble. 

****** tragic😥on the verge of celebration to actual despair

when garner smashed in that first goal,i was stood right at the back of the blackburn end in the middle,i finished up leaning on a crush barrier somewhere near the middle!!!!!!!!!lost all my mates in the complete mental pandemonium

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't be more precise than saying "Almost certainly", @wilsdenrover.

I notice that the video was added in 1960 - we played 'Pool over the Christmas season in 1959/60 and the game at Ewood was a midweek game. So the odds are on me and my 'Pool-supporting pals having been at that game.

I can't be more exact because, one of the consequences of moving back to Blackburn, was that I had to downsize. One of the results of that was - reluctantly, almost heartbreakingly - passing on my programme collection to a pal who's got more space to incorporate my collection into his. I have got 'visiting rights', though!!😄

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, R0verb0y said:

I can't be more precise than saying "Almost certainly", @wilsdenrover.

I notice that the video was added in 1960 - we played 'Pool over the Christmas season in 1959/60 and the game at Ewood was a midweek game. So the odds are on me and my 'Pool-supporting pals having been at that game.

I can't be more exact because, one of the consequences of moving back to Blackburn, was that I had to downsize. One of the results of that was - reluctantly, almost heartbreakingly - passing on my programme collection to a pal who's got more space to incorporate my collection into his. I have got 'visiting rights', though!!😄

I think that’s film of the FA Cup replay in February 1960. Look at the scorers - Dobing 2 and Dougan 1. We won 3-0 away after drawing 1-1 at home with a last gasp Mick McGrath goal. Incidentally the gate for the home game was 51, 223 ! Most of the male population of Blackburn !

Team for the home game - 

Leyland

Bray, Whelan

Clayton, Woods, McGrath

Douglas, Dobing, Dougan, Vernon, McCleod.

For the away game Bimpson played in place of Douglas and Douglas played in place of Vernon. Vernon must have been on his way to Everton between the games.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think that’s film of the FA Cup replay in February 1960. Look at the scorers - Dobing 2 and Dougan 1. We won 3-0 away after drawing 1-1 at home with a last gasp Mick McGrath goal. Incidentally the gate for the home game was 51, 223 ! Most of the male population of Blackburn !

Team for the home game - 

Leyland

Bray, Whelan

Clayton, Woods, McGrath

For the away game Bimpson played in place of Douglas and Douglas played in place of Vernon. Vernon must have been on his way to Everton between the games.

Thanks for that, @Tyrone Shoelaces.

I doubt I'd have been there if it's the Cup Replay. I'd only have been 13, going on 14, and my schoolteacher Mum would have taken a VERY dim view of event a Cup Replay taking precedence over homework!

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Team for the home game - 

Leyland

Bray, Whelan

Clayton, Woods, McGrath

I love hearing people talking about this era - I can tell that you’re being transported back into that moment 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

I love hearing people talking about this era - I can tell that you’re being transported back into that moment 

If you've got the time wilsdenrover, have a scrawl back through the thread, lots of nostalgia to go at, a great read.

• Like 1

It's the last day of the season 1957/58 and for both sides everything rests on this game. Blackburn visit The Valley needing a win to pip Charlton to promotion to the First Division. Scenes outside the ground as over 56,000 turn up. Teams run on to pitch followed by the briefest of action from Blackburn's 4-3 win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=JpEre63cNvo

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Gav said:

It's the last day of the season 1957/58 and for both sides everything rests on this game. Blackburn visit The Valley needing a win to pip Charlton to promotion to the First Division. Scenes outside the ground as over 56,000 turn up. Teams run on to pitch followed by the briefest of action from Blackburn's 4-3 win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=JpEre63cNvo

The crowd scenes are amazing.

25 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The crowd scenes are amazing.

I seem to recall the standing area down the side of the pitch at The Valley was the biggest in the country at one time. 

But yes amazing scenes.

I often wonder how Ewood managed to fit 62,000 on, our record attendance, even 50k+ gates in 1960's, must have been a squeeze, I hope you didn't want the toilet!