BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Burnley crowds

Of course, a club of their size are not going to keep their away followings high and home ground full, when it isn’t cheap, and the PL novelty has worn off and you are just trying to survive.

All fair enough, but they certainly didn’t want to hear it from us back in the day, as it would all be very different if we switched places…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 9

8 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Would we sell more in their position though?

Local teams in our area ALL struggling with gates/support atm.

Probably not, but then it wasn’t us that was always giving it the big ‘un of how ‘if we were int Prem, we’d never take the pathetic away followings you B*stards do’. 

But as an aside, it’s notable that we consistently sell more away tickets now as a largely mid table second division team, a 1,000 minimum pretty much every game (north or south, even midweek), than we did in the later PL years (price, and consistent thrashings are factors, but interesting all the same).

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 7

20 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course, a club of their size are not going to keep their away followings high and home ground full, when it isn’t cheap, and the PL novelty has worn off and you are just trying to survive.

All fair enough, but they certainly didn’t want to hear it from us back in the day, as it would all be very different if we switched places…

Exactly this. I remember them going on and on and on about it when our away support dropped in the late 2000s time. 'We'll never be like you, Burnley is a football town'..

I always said to the dingles that if they maintain their position in the prem for a while and the novelty wears off, they'll be the same if not worse. Now look at them. Not to mention away tickets are capped at 30 quid. Alot of ours were 35-50 quid and that was 15 Yeats ago!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

We could barely muster 1,000 to Goodison,let's be brutally honest....folk have short memories indeed.

You're missing the point. We weren't the ones wanking on about attendances all the time. We said to them that if the situation was reversed you'd do the same.. They never believed us, not superior Burnley...now look at them. Home games look half empty, taking the reduced allocation at every away day and not selling out..

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Blackpool aren't. Nor Bolton.

If they stuck in the same division for 3 consecutive years they would do though (which I know wasn’t the point made to be fair)

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Probably not, but then it wasn’t us that was always giving it the big ‘un of how ‘if we were int Prem, we’d never take the pathetic away followings you B*stards do’. 

But as an aside, it’s notable that we consistently sell more away tickets now as a largely mid table second division team, a 1,000 minimum pretty much every game (north or south, even midweek), than we did in the later PL years (price, and consistent thrashings are factors, but interesting all the same).

Not to contradict you at all but remember quite a few Rovers fans live in the south, helps particularly with mid-week games.

24 minutes ago, Hasta said:

If they stuck in the same division form 3 consecutive years they would do though (which I know wasn’t the point made to be fair)

That's true. It wil be interesting to see what their gates are next season.

Edited by Wheelton Blue

18 minutes ago, 47er said:

Not to contradict you at all but remember quite a few Rovers fans live in the south, helps particularly with mid-week games.

Oh of course, always great to get chatting to all the random folk supporting the Rovers on southern away days.

• Like 1

I remember them banging on about all the same bollocks when they came up to the first division as it was back then. "We'll have bigger crowds than you" "we've got better fans than you" blah blah blah

Then we smashed them 5 - 0 and it was hilarious watching them all sat there in silence with their arms folded in the Darwen End.

They seem to have a real chip on their shoulder about us. Maybe because the entire existence of not just the football team but the town has always been in our shadow.

Edited by Upside Down
  • Like 1

Going back to the 90s I borrowed a couple of books from a Rovers supporting mate of mine. One book was about all rovers league tables since when and the other was about Burnley. Both included attendances. 

I looked at the season when Burnley last won the league and compared the gates we got against theirs. 

Now, if my memories serve me right, when Burnley won the league in was is 1960/61....????.....where did we finish? 7th or 8th.

When I totted up the league and cups attendances for that season and averaged them out Rovers averaged appx 7000 more per home game than Burnley. 

Tit for tat I know. Just hope I remembered rightly. 

• Like 3