BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Deadline Day 2022

After the Markanday injury we were crying out for another forward (in addition to Hedges). Without his injury the transfer activity would've been just about right. Instead we're left short. 

What pains me isn't the Bournemouth spending spree (I echo other comments that they might struggle to find a consistent side now) but that teams like Stoke & Hull have picked up Maja & Forss.

I get the need to control our spending so I never expected us to splash millions on players but a decent loan signing like that could've really added to our options and eased concerns over where our goals will come from if Diaz reverts to type.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

A lot of ifs and buts there mate. We could’ve signed one or two and they then got injured like the unfortunate Markanday and we end up relying on the rest anyway…

Having five or six if you include Giles, for the two wide forward positions and then two for the one (false 9) position is adequate. If / when all fit, we’re still going to be disappointing 5 of this group who won’t be starting the game.

The two we let go are neither here nor there. Butterworth has been like playing with 10 players when he’s come on and Chapman is never trusted anyway.

Outside of those top three positions we are adequately stocked in the defensive and wing back areas. I do worry about our ability to cope without Travis and Rothwell because I don’t rate Johnson or Davenport. I’m hoping Edun and Garrett can step up there.

Overall, we’ll be hoping and praying we can keep our first 11 on the pitch as much as possible. But we have kept the side that’s got us to 2nd in tact and added depth and quality with 5 signings.

One last thing - I’m REALLY looking forwards to see which of our young guns step forward in the second half of the season…will it be Garrett who comes in for a suspended Travis and blows us all away? Will it be Adam Wharton who breaks through and leads us to think ‘Joe who?’ Does Ash Phillips get thrust in and end up playing the last 5 games with MOTM performances to propel us to the Premier League?!

Its all possible pal - If we only believe!! 😊🔥

Would you agree now that TM doesn't see Rankin-Costello as a full back or wing back?

8 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Swift's wages are beyond us.We were never going to bring in a player and make him our highest earner with 3 key players coming to the end of their contracts.

You just said we did have money and it was confirmed so how is that the owners not seizing it?If they made money available but it wasn't spent that is hardly their fault.

Because we didn’t move our arses to use it?

But hey everything’s just dandy if Brereton gets injured.

1 minute ago, RoverKyle said:

After the Markanday injury we were crying out for another forward (in addition to Hedges). Without his injury the transfer activity would've been just about right. Instead we're left short. 

What pains me isn't the Bournemouth spending spree (I echo other comments that they might struggle to find a consistent side now) but that teams like Stoke & Hull have picked up Maja & Forss.

I get the need to control our spending so I never expected us to splash millions on players but a decent loan signing like that could've really added to our options and eased concerns over where our goals will come from if Diaz reverts to type.

I get what you are saying but Forss moved to Hull for guaranteed playing time (we couldn't offer immediate starts) he has spent enough time on Brentford's.

Maja has played 45 minutes of football this season and apart from half a season in league one nothing to suggest he would guarantee goalsm

• Like 1

1 minute ago, booth said:

NOBODY is saying everything is dandy if Brererton gets injured some including myself believe we can still win matches without him.

And again if money was made available and wasn't spent then the blame for that isn't on the owners.

1 minute ago, RoverKyle said:

Nailed it I think.

I still believe we were after ambitious targets and that money was there but if they fell through we should have had back up targets and should have landed at least one.

It's not acceptable to say "Oh well we did our best". Especially in the one off position we are at the moment. We get these excuses at the end of every window.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I don't think many would go as far as to call him a 1 in 2 striker - Rhodes and Rudy only just made that ratio when they were here. 

But if you look at the number of minutes that's played in the league, it's a smidgen over 15 games (let's not forget that he's been brought off injured in those starts). So 6 in 15 is better than 1 in 3 and a pretty decent strike rate. Could be better, but it's a lot better than crap. I'm convinced that if we signed Gally this season, the only gripe we would have (apart from his first touch) would be that he hasn't been fit enough to play more games. 

You never know how players will step up given the opportunity. Look no further than BBD. How many Truely believed when AA left he’d bag 20 by New Years?  I agree it’s a weakness, and also don’t fully trust Gallagher can do it…but then again I would have said the same about Diaz 1 year ago 

5 minutes ago, booth said:

I think Brereton is having a fantastic season. But I don't think the team has no chance of promotion without him. He has not scored in the last five league games, and we are still second.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rigger said:

I think Brereton is having a fantastic season. But I don't think the team has no chance of promotion without him. He has not scored in the last five league games, and we are still second.

It’s a good idea not to bolster our firepower in January. I get it.

Edited by booth

4 minutes ago, booth said:

It’s a good idea not to bolster our firepower in January. I get it.

Who has said it's a good idea?

If you asked every member on the board if they would have liked a Goalscorer signed in sure 99% would say yes.

Just some think we could still win games without Brererton.

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Who has said it's a good idea?

If you asked every member on the board if they would have liked a Goalscorer signed in sure 99% would say yes.

Just some think we could still win games without Brererton.

So what are you arguing about then?

Of course we can win games without Brereton, we just won’t win as many and I don’t believe we’ll manage auto promotion.

The point was, a team in second not strengthening in that area is a poor do.

Window summary.

Sat in top two in January for the first time in more than a decade.

3 key members of first team due to walk out for nothing at the end of the season if we don't go up. No doubt 2 more at the end of next season if we're still in the Championship by then.

The cushion there of a BBD sale in summer if we don't go up and he'll also need replacing in that scenario anyway.

£800 k spent on fees.

If we tail off badly and we don't go up and money was available heads should roll

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, booth said:

So what are you arguing about then?

Of course we can win games without Brereton, we just won’t win as many and I don’t believe we’ll manage auto promotion.

The point was, a team in second not strengthening in that area is a poor do.

I asked you to name a player in that position we could have brought in and you said Swift a midfielder.

Forrs for example had 8 goals in 54 apps for Brentford.

Maja has no goalscoring record bar league 1 and 2 goals for Fulham.

Gallagher has more goals than both.

I disagree with you like I did in the Boro game.When we had "not a snowballs chance of getting anything from the game"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

I asked you to name a player in that position we could have brought in and you said Swift a midfielder.

Forrs for example had 8 goals in 54 apps for Brentford.

Maja has no goalscoring record bar league 1 and 2 goals for Fulham.

Gallagher has more goals than both.

I disagree with you like I did in the Boro game.When we had "not a snowballs chance of getting anything from the game"

Key word was “think” can you read?

Just now, islander200 said:

Yeah I can read.

Can you? Because you keep suggesting people are happy we didn't bring another goalscorer in.

I’m disappointed we didn’t bring a goalscorer in, which you pulled me up about. Then you said you would have liked them to bring a goalscorer in.

Do you argue with yourself at home?