BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Deadline Day 2022

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I can and many I’ve spoken to a few colleagues and friends who are now rather envious of the youth based model we are using.

It will upset a few but I think we’ve turned a bit of a corner in general. Fingers crossed this continues!

The manager (who I would’ve replaced in the summer) has given more debuts to youth players than any manager in our history…

Serious question, IF Tony got us up AND kept us up could he be considered our greatest manager EVER? When you look in context at what he inherited in terms of players and culture and what his net spend has been…you’d be hard pushed not to give that consideration…

I mean, if he got us up to the PL he’d have to make our top 3 best managers EVER, right?

Would we end up telling our grandkids the story of woe and how Lemon drizzle Tony took us to the promise land!!? I’ll leave you with that one 😊

Are you trying to get me banned for life? 🤐

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, FortressEwood said:

Definitely one of the best. Horses for courses though.

Could Mowbray have handled Jack's millions and been a draw for Shearer / Sutton etc to sign? Could Dalglish have worked for the Venkys within FFP?

Or..... what could Furphy, Lee, Smith, Kendall, Saxton, Mackay have done with the sort of backing Mowbray has had from the owners at their respective times as manager?

• Like 1

although I admit if we did stay up it would be quite an achievement!!! but I honestly I can't see  TM lasting more than a dozen games in the prem, but i'd be happy to eat my words in 12 months time!

Trying not to even think about getting promoted just yet, but IF we do then the the first team would need quite a big overhaul and the way the club is run would need to improve enormously otherwise it will just become an embaressing amature circus again.

I've got a feeling TM might just call it a day as a manager at the end of this season and what better way is there to bow out than with a promotion

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I can and many I’ve spoken to a few colleagues and friends who are now rather envious of the youth based model we are using.

It will upset a few but I think we’ve turned a bit of a corner in general. Fingers crossed this continues!

The manager (who I would’ve replaced in the summer) has given more debuts to youth players than any manager in our history…

Serious question, IF Tony got us up AND kept us up could he be considered our greatest manager EVER? When you look in context at what he inherited in terms of players and culture and what his net spend has been…you’d be hard pushed not to give that consideration…

I mean, if he got us up to the PL he’d have to make our top 3 best managers EVER, right?

Would we end up telling our grandkids the story of woe and how Lemon drizzle Tony took us to the promise land!!? I’ll leave you with that one 😊

TM has to be admired for how he took on Rovers as a project rather than someone who focuses purely on what happens on the pitch. The club was in free fall. Now the investment in youth is producing good quality players that keeps us competitive whilst keeping wages relatively low. His net spend on transfers is very low. I've got these numbers from TransferMarkt -

This season: +£14.7m (Armstrong, Edun, Markanday, Hedges)

20/21: -£1.63m (Pickering, Pears, Kaminski, Stergiakis)

19/20: -£2.84m (Gallagher, Raya)

18/19: -£9.18m (Diaz, Armstrong)

17/18: -£1.04 (Dack, Samuel, Bell, Steele)

Those numbers are almost breaking even. I know there was a sell on clause in the Armstrong deal so we won't have got all that and I also don't believe we paid the full amount quoted for Diaz either. I find it quite astonishing that TM has managed to get us out of league one and fighting for automatic promotion to the premier league whilst barely having a net spend on transfers. 

Tactically, at times, TM has frustrated the hell out of me and there have been a couple of times when I thought his time was probably up. However, his management of the club in respect of youth, finance, community and navigating an unconventional ownership has been brilliant and I think it might only be after he's left that some people will reflect with clarity on the job he's done.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Or..... what could Furphy, Lee, Smith, Kendall, Saxton, Mackay have done with the sort of backing Mowbray has had from the owners at their respective times as manager?

All those managers, who never achieved promotion to Division 1, didn’t have to work under meddling owners that have zero footballing nous and frankly are as thick as a bar top.

Mowbray will be a legend if he gets this side and dysfunctional basket case of a club promoted.

No doubt about that, one of the greatest achievements in the football clubs history. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, Tugay Et Labore said:

TM has to be admired for how he took on Rovers as a project rather than someone who focuses purely on what happens on the pitch. The club was in free fall. Now the investment in youth is producing good quality players that keeps us competitive whilst keeping wages relatively low. His net spend on transfers is very low. I've got these numbers from TransferMarkt -

Those numbers are almost breaking even. I know there was a sell on clause in the Armstrong deal so we won't have got all that and I also don't believe we paid the full amount quoted for Diaz either. I find it quite astonishing that TM has managed to get us out of league one and fighting for automatic promotion to the premier league whilst barely having a net spend on transfers. 

Tactically, at times, TM has frustrated the hell out of me and there have been a couple of times when I thought his time was probably up. However, his management of the club in respect of youth, finance, community and navigating an unconventional ownership has been brilliant and I think it might only be after he's left that some people will reflect with clarity on the job he's done.

You don't factor in the amount on wages etc for other players brought to the club.Some if not all of the older players brought in would have been on decent money.We have paid good money to people who didn't contribute an awful lot in that time.

I am not going to argue he has made some very good signings but he has run high cost squads up to this season.12 players came through the door last summer in wages loan fees etc would have cost.

But is getting the best out of the squad of players he has now and deserves great credit for how the season has gone so far

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

although I admit if we did stay up it would be quite an achievement!!! but I honestly I can't see  TM lasting more than a dozen games in the prem, but i'd be happy to eat my words in 12 months time!

Trying not to even think about getting promoted just yet, but IF we do then the the first team would need quite a big overhaul and the way the club is run would need to improve enormously otherwise it will just become an embaressing amature circus again.

I've got a feeling TM might just call it a day as a manager at the end of this season and what better way is there to bow out than with a promotion

Mowbray's West Brom promoted side were relegated the next year, in 2008/09, bottom of the league - albeit, only three points of safety. He stayed, in the job, I think, but then, Celtic came calling that summer. Barring a miracle, a club like Rovers would not survive in the Premier League and, more likely, would be relegated by Christmas, moreoreless, given the huge inflation that has occurred in the top division as, now, a full-on playground for oligarchs. 

We're really trying to get promoted for the money and to try to get into that pack of parachute payment clubs. It's depressing and somewhat masochistic for us fans but the game has become terribly unequa, unfair and, frankly, dull, in creating a predictable procession based on wealth.

On a different point, an aspect of the transfer window that I find notable is that Mowbray has given a clear indication of his backing for Bradley Johnson and Aynsley Pears. As far as I can tell, Johnson remains third choice CM and will be on the bench every game - possibly as a fourth choice CB, as well. And, Pears, will remain No.2, despite his high frequency of errors.

We still have a sizeable squad of players, with purchases and loanees possibly not making it into the matchday squad. Consider that our subs bench, if everyone is fit, will likely be: Pears, Gallagher, Hedges, Dolan, Johnson, Ayala and Zeefuik. This means that Giles, Rankin-Costello, Davenport and Edun could miss out (as well as Dack and Poveda, if they make it back but they aren't in consideration currently). Garrett would probably next in line after the seniors.

Johnson will have a big say in our latter half of the season, possibly, in a number of roles. I would hope Pears isn't but it's possible. Whilst the numbers might be there, to an extent, the quality on the bench in centre midfield and the goalkeeping department remains questionable. For our sake, we must also hope Ayala stays fit and Hedges is effective as a forward, despite having come from mid-table in the SPL. We have limited options if not, as we have sent Carter, Butterworth, Chapman, McBride and Burns on loan, so won't have much else to turn to, except the U18s.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Okay - secret knowledge not for the masses.

Not really Paul but proof is in the pudding and all that.....but you knew that anyway.

Please put your fishing rod away because you'll get extremely fed up waiting for a bite.

Edited by darrenrover

13 hours ago, Ricky said:

Are we stronger now than we were on 1st January? I think we probably are. We didn’t lose any of the three amigos and we’ve added some good attacking options. Injuries are the biggest worry to us now (and probably have been all season due to our small squad)

Its really a matter of whether we are comparatively stronger or weaker than Bournemouth.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 47er said:

Its really a matter of whether we are comparatively stronger or weaker than Bournemouth.

We can still go up in the playoffs, but I'd rather not bother with that route if at all possible. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

And how good had the team been previously?

Last year he was played horribly out of position.

The striker we were after has scored 5 in 20. Gallagher has scored 6 with a good few less starts. 

I am certain Gallagher would feed off Giles very well. 

I had this thought the other day----if Gallagher took the penalties he'd have 11 goals and Diaz would have 15. (I might be slightly wrong  on the figures)

I appreciate that Ben earned some of those penalties himself though!

1 hour ago, Gav said:

All those managers, who never achieved promotion to Division 1, didn’t have to work under meddling owners that have zero footballing nous and frankly are as thick as a bar top.

Mowbray will be a legend if he gets this side and dysfunctional basket case of a club promoted.

No doubt about that, one of the greatest achievements in the football clubs history. 

IF we get promoted, he will deserve all the plaudits going - but did Coyle not get Burnley promoted on a shoestring and without the type of backing TM has had ?

I will give him some credit, as he has helped rebuild us back into something loosely resembling a football club. However, you could also say the owners have to take some credit for continuing to invest in the Academy (I know that statement won't sit well with some supporters).

I think we will have to be honest - if we are celebrating next season getting thrashed by Man City & Liverpool in the Premiership (not a reflection on Rovers, but the reality for a lot of Premiership clubs) - it will be all about the stars aligning and our clubs long suffering fans finally having something to cheer about. Though biased, I think we deserve it after what Kean and his buddies put the club through.

• Like 6

How quickly we forget.

Gally has his usual 4 poor games in a row, and there is some consensus on here that we'll win nothing with him starting. 

Then he is out for a while, when results invariably improve, or he has his one good game in ten, and we swiftly forget that he's not a footballer. 

I've watched most of his footballing career, and it beggars belief that we still give him the benefit of the doubt. 

With Gally as our main striker, we are at best mid-table.

He can be a useful impact sub, and he is very useful defensively at set pieces.

I have been hoping and praying this would change since 2016. 

Facts are facts are facts. 

Edited by garnersfags
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

How quickly we forget.

Gally has his usual 4 poor games in a row, and there is some consensus on here that we'll win nothing with him starting. 

Then he is out for a while, when results invariably improve, or he has his one good game in ten, and we swiftly forget that he's not a footballer. 

I've watched most of his footballing career, and it beggars belief that we still give him the benefit of the doubt. 

With Gally as our main striker, we are at best mid-table.

He can be a useful impact sub, and he is very useful defensively at set pieces.

I have been hoping and praying this would change since 2016. 

Facts are facts are facts. 

Does anyone have the stats regarding the difference in our results when he's started and when he hasn't?

It seems to me it would make quite startling reading. 

35 minutes ago, Gav said:

We can still go up in the playoffs, but I'd rather not bother with that route if at all possible. 

As long as we keep playing like we do, bleed youngsters into the team, and there's some excitement around the place I'm not too fuzzed where we are. All the money in the Premier League has killed a lot of the joy from it for me, the Championship is more classic English football without VAR and games coming thick and fast. Of course I'd take a place in the Premier League but I'm a happy Rover anyhow.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tugay Et Labore said:

Only fair to point out he had a championship wages budget in league 1 and has had good backing in wages/fees for good loans every season. Mid table budget, mid table finishes so it's only really this season he has come close to over achieving in those terms.

Still doesn't make it easy of course and many things go into the mix but miracles is putting it a bit strongly. It's been a miracle he's still here really it's only down to disconnected ownership and well connected pals that he is.

However should we finish in the top 6 this season it's a remarkable testimony to his belief in his methods. IF we pulled it off and went up, whether play offs or automatic, then the word 'miracle' is all his to own.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

TM has just been quoted he wants to manage in the Prem so I can't see him bowing out yet.

He looks old but he's only 59. Will be going for a bit yet I think.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

As long as we keep playing like we do, bleed youngsters into the team, and there's some excitement around the place I'm not too fuzzed where we are. All the money in the Premier League has killed a lot of the joy from it for me, the Championship is more classic English football without VAR and games coming thick and fast. Of course I'd take a place in the Premier League but I'm a happy Rover anyhow.

And the mounting debt?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, booth said:

Well we do need other players to step up when Brereton doesn't. The work ethic is there.

You’re obsessed with either Ben getting an injury or hitting a blip in form. Just enjoy what we have whilst we have it. There’s absolutely no evidence of us hitting a blip currently. The Hull result is what it was. We’re still 2nd… bloody second in the league!! It’s beyond what anyone could have hoped for this season and I for one don’t see us finishing any lower than 3rd. 

Dack will be a massive boost to us. Not many have acknowledged just what a positive  that will be come crunch time. 

We have a way of playing that suits us, players ready to put everything on the line. And a group of players that are all pushing for the same goal. 

We’ve added this window, we’re 100% stronger than we were at the end of December, sad what happened to Markanday but that happens football. 

Roll on the last few months. We’ll be up there.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Scoobydo said:

You’re obsessed with either Ben getting an injury or hitting a blip in form. Just enjoy what we have whilst we have it. There’s absolutely no evidence of us hitting a blip currently. The Hull result is what it was. We’re still 2nd… bloody second in the league!! It’s beyond what anyone could have hoped for this season and I for one don’t see us finishing any lower than 3rd. 

Dack will be a massive boost to us. Not many have acknowledged just what a positive  that will be come crunch time. 

We have a way of playing that suits us, players ready to put everything on the line. And a group of players that are all pushing for the same goal. 

We’ve added this window, we’re 100% stronger than we were at the end of December, sad what happened to Markanday but that happens football. 

Roll on the last few months. We’ll be up there.

Obsessed, don’t be daft. Concerned yes, we’ve got a total of two strikers going into what could be the biggest run of games in a long time. And if Mowbray was trying to sign a forward before the deadline as has been mentioned, he obviously is too.

It’s a legitimate concern that if BBD’s goals dry up or he gets an injury who steps up? We’ve got Gallagher (6), Khadra and Dolan (4 each, I think) to rely on.

But it is what it is now. Let’s hope he can stay fit and carry on scoring goals. 

Edited by booth
  • Like 2

i think edun will now revert to his favoured position in midfield as back up to travis with the arrival of giles. i dont think tony ever intended to keep him as a left back, he was more of a short term fix.  i think he will do a decent  job in cm as cover

3 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

i think edun will now revert to his favoured position in midfield as back up to travis with the arrival of giles. i dont think tony ever intended to keep him as a left back, he was more of a short term fix.  i think he will do a decent  job in cm as cover

He's a tidy player but I struggle to see how he can really impose himself on games defensively or offensively at the moment. Seems a bit lightweight, and lacking in sufficient raw quality to negate the need to mature.

Strikes me as one like Brereton, Buckley or Rothwell who needs a year or two in the past to physically level up to let his technical ability be effective.

Davenport seems a bit further along on that journey for me, but hasn't really had the opportunities.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 5