BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Deadline Day 2022

19 minutes ago, USABlue said:

A Kieffer Moore type, Danny Graham of a couple years back are just the sort of player we need in our Arsenal.  A player if that type could have won us the game.  At the least we would have a different option, change of style, something different for our opponents to worry about.  Was a real kick in the nuts to lose that one yesterday.  That one hurt.

I suggested Cole Stockton for that exact role. He has twenty goals for struggling Morecambe this season but one of his attributes is his hold up play. And the galling thing is he would have been cheap and not wanted silly money. Coming off the bench yesterday he would have been perfect.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I suggested Cole Stockton for that exact role. He has twenty goals for struggling Morecambe this season but one of his attributes is his hold up play. And the galling thing is he would have been cheap and not wanted silly money. Coming off the bench yesterday he would have been perfect.

100%.

There are lots of players who would be happy to take a place on the bench to try and take the step up so I don't buy that someone wouldn't sign up to sit on the bench. It's a big opportunity to be part of a promotion chasing team. You sit on the bench, you take the opportunity, then if successful you aren't on the bench any more. Especially with us having such a small squad and so many injuries. Before there was any talk of Rothwell going TM was talking about bringing 2 or 3 in, we only brought in Giles after that so we obviously had money left in our budget. So I don't buy that argument either.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
29 minutes ago, neophox said:

Isaac Mbenza 25 year old without club in january... strong winger available.

Diego Costa 33 year old also without a club since january....

Yeah, there’s more chance of me snaring Scarlett Johansson than that!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Yeah, there’s more chance of me snaring Scarlett Johansson than that!

I had a look on the internet to see what his most recent wages were and it was claimed it was "only" £31 k p.w. which if true should be doable in theory in conjunction with the promotion bonus etc.

Better for him than sitting there doing nothing, could be our Steve Archibald moment. 

But you're right, given the lack of ambition shown in the transfer window to bring a much needed striker in there probably is more chance of SJ.

18 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

But you're right, given the lack of ambition shown in the transfer window to bring a much needed striker in there probably is more chance of SJ.

Simeon Jackson.

Theres an instantly forgotten blast from the past whose career has plummeted. Now at Chelmsford City.

18 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I had a look on the internet to see what his most recent wages were and it was claimed it was "only" £31 k p.w. which if true should be doable in theory in conjunction with the promotion bonus etc.

Better for him than sitting there doing nothing, could be our Steve Archibald moment. 

I find it quite incredible that some posters think us signing Costa is realistic and that its our lack of ambition that's the issue. Its actually pretty funny tbh 

• Like 2

Conor Mahoney appeared on my Instagram feed earlier. I remember some were very critical of Mowbray around him leaving. The lad has made a succession of poor career choices. Should have stayed here for the League 1 season and I'm sure he realises that now. Glad we have moved on a lot  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Conor Mahoney appeared on my Instagram feed earlier. I remember some were very critical of Mowbray around him leaving. The lad has made a succession of poor career choices. Should have stayed here for the League 1 season and I'm sure he realises that now. Glad we have moved on a lot  

Yeah, I said at the time he could be the next Damian Duff but it was more likely he’ll be the next Keith Tracey.

• Like 2

The Markanday injury was unfortunate but Mowbray has really committed himself to the signing of Ryan Hedges. He is. surely, going to be starting games next season when Brereton Diaz and, likely, Khadra leave. We also seemed to have signed Hedges at the expense of a CM to support Travis for the remainder of the season.

It was a very big call to sign a player whose contract was expiring, from a middle-of-the-table SPL club, as the supporting creative force for a historic promotion push. If it comes off, Mowbray deserves all the credit. However, if it doesn't, he, equally, will have a lot to answer. Even more so when we see Forest's new recruit, Keinan Davis, doing so well.

My own attitude is questioning. I don't know the player but his career hasn't been overly impressive, at 26 years old, and the talk of him being distracted by Rovers interest makes me concerned that he is not the type of character that will bolster a dressing room. However, he deserves every chance and, clearly, can't yet be judged.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, riverholmes said:

We also seemed to have signed Hedges at the expense of a CM to support Travis for the remainder of the season.

I'm sceptical (but waiting to see) on the merits of signing Hedges. But I don't think it's accurate to say he was bought at the expense of signing a CM. He only cost 200k and we were still bidding for Dembele after which shows there was money left over (yet again).

We didn't sign a CM (although Giles may be intended for there when Pickering is back) because TM decided either that he didn't need one, or those available weren't value for money, because he still uses pricing from 5-10 years ago. Or of course, they rejected us.

36 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

As I said before - Mowbray absolutely failed in this transfer window, by his own admission had the money to buy players but didn't.

We were absolutely desperate for a striker.

Apparently we made an offer for Forss but Brentford and the player wanted more of a guarantee playing time which we couldnt offer, unless we think the likes of Forrs should have been given those guarantees.

It was a difficult window for us to navigate as unless we had mega bucks to bring in a game changer then our options were going to be limited.

In for Dembele too but Bournemouth offered him a deal on more than our highest earner how could we justify to the rest of the squad making Dembele amongst our highest earners when he has hardly any track record at Championship level and has 30 career goals to his name.

• Backroom

Khadra isn't a full game player yet. Has some excellent moments and periods during games. When off-form is basically a passenger. He's only 20, though, so we have to expect this type of inconsistency when loaning young, creative players. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We are getting found out a bit too. Who does Khadra have to pass it to? Brereton only really. Just double up on him. Buckley and Rothwell need to step up and contribute 

Are Buckley and Rothwell capable of stepping up?

Arguably, if they were, after 31 games they would have done so already.