BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Deadline Day 2022

On 04/02/2022 at 21:02, roversfan99 said:

It makes sense that we didnt bring in an out and out number 9 in January, in particular one who wouldnt be able to operate as one of the 2 forwards we play either side of the false 9.

That being said, I do think we could have ideally done with a more natural forward who would offer more of a goal threat from that position

Make your mind up!

We did need a central goal-scorer. It was obvious at the time, its even more so now.

We can't score can we?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 47er said:

Make your mind up!

We did need a central goal-scorer. It was obvious at the time, its even more so now.

We can't score can we?

I said numerous times that I felt that we needed an attacker who can offer us a genuine goal threat who could play as a wide striker, the second part is key.

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I said numerous times that I felt that we needed an attacker who can offer us a genuine goal threat who could play as a wide striker, the second part is key.

You said it made sense that we didn't bring a no 9 in in January.

It didn't make sense, it doesn't. Why we could only bring in "a genuine goal threat who could play as a wide striker?"

No wonder we couldn't find one!

Can we cut out all that crap you've bought into and get back to basics?

If you can't score you can't win. Simple!

26 minutes ago, 47er said:

You said it made sense that we didn't bring a no 9 in in January.

It didn't make sense, it doesn't. Why we could only bring in "a genuine goal threat who could play as a wide striker?"

No wonder we couldn't find one!

Can we cut out all that crap you've bought into and get back to basics?

If you can't score you can't win. Simple!

As long as any striker could play within the current system then yes. Someone like Brereton, like Armstrong, someone with pace rather than a lump, then yes we could have done with someone.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

As long as any striker could play within the current system then yes. Someone like Brereton, like Armstrong, someone with pace rather than a lump, then yes we could have done with someone.

I don't think anyone has suggested we buy a lump! But we didn't buy anyone to fill that role, others did.

Edited by 47er

9 hours ago, 47er said:

Make your mind up!

We can't score can we?

They don't use Gallagher as he could or should be used either which is puzzling. He came on the other night essentially as wide striker again. Hard to tell what was going on after a while because everybody is pilling forwards chasing the game but fact remains we don't get him and BBD into central positions attacking crosses.

Same at Swansea so it was puzzling Mowbray saying we needed SG as there was good crosses flying across the box. Yet he'd have taken a wide player off to bring him on if available.

It's these little things that make such a difference and our often missing from what actually happens on the pitch. Also we've improved on set pieces this season but my god don't get me started on free kicks. Might as well just kick them straight into touch and get ready for the goal kick, cut out the middle bit !

6 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Nowhere near gettable on those wages. 

I’m sure the richest club in the world would of subsidised some of his wages. 20 grand a week until the end of the season would of got us a few points already. He plays and we get three at Swansea for a start

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I’m sure the richest club in the world would of subsidised some of his wages. 20 grand a week until the end of the season would of got us a few points already. He plays and we get three at Swansea for a start

I don’t think Newcastle would be prepared to loan him out, it wouldn’t be a question of wages. After all they hardly need the money do they ?

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don’t think Newcastle would be prepared to loan him out, it wouldn’t be a question of wages. After all they hardly need the money do they ?

Strange as he never gets a game and must be right down the pecking order with wood joining . Although apart from Joelinton who can’t find the net for love nor money I don’t know who they have as back up strikers 

49 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Strange as he never gets a game and must be right down the pecking order with wood joining . Although apart from Joelinton who can’t find the net for love nor money I don’t know who they have as back up strikers 

As we are seeing injuries come thick and fast at this time of year, in the position Newcastle were in there was no point in taking the risk. If the guy didn’t want a move it made sense for them to hold on to him.

23 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Joelinton doesn't even play upfront for them anymore. He's midfield now 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

BBD out for "days, weeks or months"...."certainly the next couple of games".

So that's 2.5 he missed being away with Chile and now a minimum of two moving forward. One almighty stinker not bringing in a striker during January who could chip in with some goals.

It'll be bloody tough enough to secure a play-off spot, let alone without your only source of goals for a period.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 7

I do think that it is very difficult for any team to be without their main man, if Fulham lost Mitrovic, they would be much less potent, if Bournemouth lost Solanke they would miss him etc.

Undoubtedly I would have liked an extra forward in the window, on a tight budget I suppose it was difficult to find someone who could play as one of the wide forwards in a formation that has brought us the success we have, but I would have liked someone.

A lot of onus on Gallagher now which worries me. Khadra is in his first proper season of football and has just the 3 goals, Dolan only scores occasionally, I am interested to see more of Hedges who for a winger had a reasonable goal and assist tally in Scotland but hes not going to make up what we lose without Brereton. Hopefully in a couple of weeks we have Dack and Brereton back involved.

• Like 1

It's OK Mowbray or whoever saying "someone has to step up" to replace Brereton but who exactly?

Dack - forget it, he'll never be the same player again

Butterworth - schoolboy player, not ready for the first team

Gallagher - maybe but highly unlikely

The failure to add forward firepower in January was a serious mistake. Injuries to key players was always going to happen

As its stands, unless the midfield contributes (not on present form) and defenders start chipping in (even more unlikely) where are the goals coming from? 

• Like 4