BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Deadline Day 2022

9 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I blame Coyle almost entirely (and I suppose those responsible for appointing him). The after that I blame Shane Duffy and Anthony Stokes. 

I know some disagree, but I don't really blame Huddersfield at all. We had 46 games to get to the level needed, and I think managers' concerns has got to be on the club that pays them. Put it this way, if we go into the final game having secured third spot but with no chance of coming second, I'd be pretty furious with Mowbray if any of our key players got injured when they needn't have played. 

I blame all those as well! We would not have been relegated but for Huddersfield though.

In a way I shouldn't complain, next season was great!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, neophox said:

Valerien Ismael available...knew allot of us wanted him before he joined the baggies. Sacked today by the Baggies and Mowbray now 2nd favourite for the job.

I'd have certainly taken that swap at the start of the season and I'd probably even take it now (despite the fact Mowbray has definitely done a better job this season). The job he did at Barnsley was incredible.

Last 5 permanent managers at Barnsley and their win percentage:

Stendel - 47%
Struber - 35.9%
Ismael - 56.8%
Schopp - 6.3%
Asbaghi - 8.3%

On 01/02/2022 at 21:02, Tugay Et Labore said:

TM has to be admired for how he took on Rovers as a project rather than someone who focuses purely on what happens on the pitch. The club was in free fall. Now the investment in youth is producing good quality players that keeps us competitive whilst keeping wages relatively low. His net spend on transfers is very low. I've got these numbers from TransferMarkt -

This season: +£14.7m (Armstrong, Edun, Markanday, Hedges)

20/21: -£1.63m (Pickering, Pears, Kaminski, Stergiakis)

19/20: -£2.84m (Gallagher, Raya)

18/19: -£9.18m (Diaz, Armstrong)

17/18: -£1.04 (Dack, Samuel, Bell, Steele)

Those numbers are almost breaking even. I know there was a sell on clause in the Armstrong deal so we won't have got all that and I also don't believe we paid the full amount quoted for Diaz either. I find it quite astonishing that TM has managed to get us out of league one and fighting for automatic promotion to the premier league whilst barely having a net spend on transfers. 

Tactically, at times, TM has frustrated the hell out of me and there have been a couple of times when I thought his time was probably up. However, his management of the club in respect of youth, finance, community and navigating an unconventional ownership has been brilliant and I think it might only be after he's left that some people will reflect with clarity on the job he's done.

Brilliant post.

23 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I'd have certainly taken that swap at the start of the season and I'd probably even take it now (despite the fact Mowbray has definitely done a better job this season). The job he did at Barnsley was incredible.

Last 5 permanent managers at Barnsley and their win percentage:

Stendel - 47%
Struber - 35.9%
Ismael - 56.8%
Schopp - 6.3%
Asbaghi - 8.3%

Not for me. Excellent manager for Barnsley and maximized their potential with his direct playing style. However failed to adapt use West Brom's strength with better players. Persisted with long throws and direct football, which the fans hated. 

Would be a bad fit here. Imagine watching a game where half the time is spent drying the ball with a towel and trying to hurl a ball onto Gallagher's head in the box. Don't even think we have somebody who can hurl the ball into the box.

The one thing you'd give Mowbray credit for this season is applying a formation and style that suits the players we have.  

It makes sense that we didnt bring in an out and out number 9 in January, in particular one who wouldnt be able to operate as one of the 2 forwards we play either side of the false 9.

That being said, I do think we could have ideally done with a more natural forward who would offer more of a goal threat from that position, as Brereton and to a lesser extent Gallagher do, I suppose that is a difficult task with a minimal budget and with the added blow of losing Markanday. Hedges has scored a reasonable amount of goals as a winger so hopefully he can offer a new dimension to our team.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It makes sense that we didnt bring in an out and out number 9 in January, in particular one who wouldnt be able to operate as one of the 2 forwards we play either side of the false 9.

That being said, I do think we could have ideally done with a more natural forward who would offer more of a goal threat from that position, as Brereton and to a lesser extent Gallagher do, I suppose that is a difficult task with a minimal budget and with the added blow of losing Markanday. Hedges has scored a reasonable amount of goals as a winger so hopefully he can offer a new dimension to our team.

Course the squads missing a traditional number 9,even if its just to add something different in the last 20mins when were not winning. I agree we shouldn't be spending millions on one though, just to sit on the bench a lot, but we need as many options as possible. 

Mowbray and his pals in recruitment in all the time they've had since armstrong left just couldn't find a decent looking sub 1.5mill(ish) one though. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Course the squads missing a traditional number 9,even if its just to add something different in the last 20mins when were not winning. I agree we shouldn't be spending millions on one though, just to sit on the bench a lot, but we need as many options as possible. 

Mowbray and his pals in recruitment in all the time they've had since armstrong left just couldn't find a decent looking sub 1.5mill(ish) one though. 

we already spent millions on one IMO... Sam Gallagher. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, islander200 said:

Interesting to see he's bigging up Hedges. Thought he might give him the slow run up. Guess he could well be on the bench or even starting on tomorrow.

I guess Hedges will play very similarly on the right to BBD on the left. Pressing without the ball and cutting in and shooting.

Hope he doesn't need two seasons like Brereton to get up to speed! That said Hedges joined the club at 26, BBD at 19, so Hedges should be ready.

• Like 1

I'm hoping Hedges will be a decent signing. Based on little more than YouTube I'll admit but he does look to have the skill set to suit the formation. Tall, quick, direct, shoots. It's what Diaz is doing from the left. And personally though Khadra has been an asset, he makes many poor decisions in the final 3rd and blows extremely hot and cold. I still see him as very valuable but it will be good to have some good competition for him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ben_the_beast said:

I'm hoping Hedges will be a decent signing. Based on little more than YouTube I'll admit but he does look to have the skill set to suit the formation. Tall, quick, direct, shoots. It's what Diaz is doing from the left. And personally though Khadra has been an asset, he makes many poor decisions in the final 3rd and blows extremely hot and cold. I still see him as very valuable but it will be good to have some good competition for him.

Aberdeen fans say very good on his day, skillful but inconsistent. Very one footed.

4 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I guess Hedges will play very similarly on the right to BBD on the left. Pressing without the ball and cutting in and shooting.

I don't know if he is a good presser of the ball or not, not heard any mention of it. Didn't see any particular signs of it on the clips. You would hope we would only sign someone who does that though, since it's fundamental to our game plan, although we almost invariably hear TM saying new signings need to learn to work harder off the ball, so maybe it's more something he intends to draw out of him.

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I don't know if he is a good presser of the ball or not, not heard any mention of it. Didn't see any particular signs of it on the clips. You would hope we would only sign someone who does that though, since it's fundamental to our game plan, although we almost invariably hear TM saying new signings need to learn to work harder off the ball, so maybe it's more something he intends to draw out of him.

I don't think Mowbray would buy a player if he thought they won't sufficiently press. Seems to be the top of the requirement list.

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I don't think Mowbray would buy a player if he thought they won't sufficiently press. Seems to be the top of the requirement list.

Like I said though, we have signed players before who were said in public to need to work on this before they could be regulars in the team. Poveda, I think Khadra too has had comments to that effect, Chapman, Rothwell. I'm sure there are others I'm not remembering.

16 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

2 goals in 6 games yet we don’t need more firepower!! A baffling decision which IMO is gonna cost us big time. How many goals does he think all these wide men are going to get? Cos it ain’t gonna be enough - their careers to date tell us that. 

A Kieffer Moore type, Danny Graham of a couple years back are just the sort of player we need in our Arsenal.  A player if that type could have won us the game.  At the least we would have a different option, change of style, something different for our opponents to worry about.  Was a real kick in the nuts to lose that one yesterday.  That one hurt.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, USABlue said:

A Kieffer Moore type, Danny Graham of a couple years back are just the sort of player we need in our Arsenal.  A player if that type could have won us the game.  At the least we would have a different option, change of style, something different for our opponents to worry about.  Was a real kick in the nuts to lose that one yesterday.  That one hurt.

The problem is, we would have to sell it to someone that they will never start if they did, we would have to totally alter a formation that has got us to this position. Also Mowbray implied that any striker would have been on loan from the PL, so seemingly it would be impossible to get someone with the experience and know how that you mention from that market.

• Like 1